test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I am sick and tired of Scimitar Dreadnought Warbirds.

inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
Just as the title says.

I don't need to list stats and abilities here; you guys all know what they are. However, if you do want to see them: Scimitar and, for comparison's sake: Tulwar | Falchion

These ships - with the possible exception of the (cross-faction, mind you) JHAS - are by a wide margin the best ships in the game. With battle cloak + Romulan Crits + A2B/DEMarion/BFaW* + Cloaked Barrage* + 5 Tac consoles + a Hangar Bay + Singularity abilities, one has to actively try to do poorly in this ship.

Short of BigPoint, I have seldom seen anything less blatantly 'pay to win.' (Edit: I'll leave this statement here as it is, but after reading through replies, I've come to the conclusion that it was very biased of me to use this terminology. I apologize for any offense it may have caused you.)

So, where does that leave us? We have a horrendously imbalanced ship in one hand, and a genuine (I hope) desire to not infuriate the players who bought said ship by nerfing it (never stopped 'em before, though...) in the other.

How do we solve this? Ways I see:
- Nerf it?
-- No, because it will hurt those who bought it
- Buff every other player ship (minus the free ones**) in the game to be on par?
-- A lot of work, and will make the NPCs even easier to faceroll.
- Buff every other player ship (minus the free ones**), and buff NPCs?
-- Even more work, but...
--- NPCs need a boost anyway
--- It will make every other ship one can purchase more appealing
--- even then, it still seems silly, but, to be fair, Cryptic dug this hole. All I can do is suggest how they might use the same shovel to fill it back up.

And that's where you come in. If you have any ideas about solving this issue, or you think that I'm crazy for thinking this :P, please tell me and explain.

*Optional, but still relevant.
**Time is currency. Event ships aren't 'free'. (This point is, however, also open for debate.)
2iBFtmg.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    No choice but to buff all the other c-store and fleet ships. PVE needs a reset anyway--give NPCs the same stats as a typical end-game player ship and the same abilities, and make that the Elite difficulty. But what we saw with the Galaxy yesterday, aint nothing happening. Game is broken beyond repair at this point.
  • rovakiinrovakiin Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    You wouldn't be the first person to express the hatred for the Dreadnoughts, nor will you be the last.
    Sadly, I don't think there's anything that can *reasonably* be done about them.

I expressed my dislike for them by not getting one. But I play KDF anyway, so who cares. :P
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This thread really reads the same as previous threads about other ships.

It's just eerie. I've read the same style of hatred for everything from the Galaxy X to the Excelsior to almost every Klingon ship.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • precharprechar Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »

These ships - with the possible exception of the (cross-faction, mind you) JHAS - are by a wide margin the best ships in the game. With battle cloak + Romulan Crits + A2B/DEMarion/BFaW* + Cloaked Barrage* + 5 Tac consoles + a Hangar Bay + Singularity abilities, one has to actively try to do poorly in this ship.

Short of BigPoint, I have seldom seen anything less blatantly 'pay to win.'

Cool I know what I'm buying my Romulan Tactical Captain after I level her over the bonus XP weekend thanks for the Tip :P
    It's your world Boss I'm just a squirrel trying to get a nut!
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Gotta sell people on leveling half faction characters somehow.

Don't worry, this time next year they'll be the least of your worries. Assuming we last that long.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited March 2014
    For the record, my Scimidar was paid for with dil.

It's not pay-to-win. Similar arguments abounded when we met the Jem bug for the first time.

The real issue is DPS creep. 2 years ago 10K was tough to achieve. Now 20K is not unreasonable. They ignored this issue in City of Heroes, and the game is effectively dead. I have a simpler solution that would allow for ships like this and the eventual dps creep, without impacting game mechanics or requiring nerfing.

Add VOR to the STF's.

Variable Opponent Responses has nothing to do with the current 'threat' game mechanic, rather this variable is linked to a damage threshold or damage spikes.

In simple terms, when faced with overwhelming force the Borg (or other bad guys) call in back-up. The number of units is based on the amount of damage over time.

This would allow for the STF's to exist currently, unaffected for new players and those under a 12K dps per individual ship threshold.

If a ship demonstrates 20K dps, a tac cube engages that player.

For each 2K of additional individual DPS, a flight of spheres would appear. And so on.

For starting players, they would be able to enjoy the game unmolested. Pro players would be faced with making decisions on evolving tactics and opponents rather than shooting inanimate objects while running to the next viable target to get an artificially high DPS ranking.

Pro players would evolve, utilizing different builds to maximize dps without going over the next threshold.

This would effectively do two things: increase the challenge for long-term players, while effectively neutering the game-destructive dps escalation.

My Two Bits
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Even if its the nature of people to complain and ask for tweaks, doesn't mean that nothing is ever broken.

Romulan faction is completely out of whack. Romulan ships (not just the Scim) are completely out of whack--just compare the Romulan's Dysan sci destroyer to the Fed's, and then put a Romulan crew in the warbird? LOL
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Eh. :) I just think their bounding boxes are too big! Probably some sort of you-know-what-sizing going on there. :P They're often cramping my style.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The real issue is DPS creep. 2 years ago 10K was tough to achieve. Now 20K is not unreasonable.

Pretty much this. If you are flying one of these monster ships (Scim or a couple others), everything just disintegrates and then you whine how its all too easy. If you aren't, but one pulls up in your group anyways, you may as well just idle at the spawn point because why bother wasting any effort when your actions basically won't matter? If you actually want to spend some time 'playing with your food,' you just wish this kind of ship simply didn't exist.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Since we're talking about DPS creep in concerns with the Scimitar, can I ask: what's the point of trying to see how high your DPS can go? Let me tell you something: I don't like it. I took my Obelisk out for a spin awhile back. Antiproton weaponry, Advanced Swarmers, armed with those Fleet Crit items, sent it to ISE. Watching the HP on things just easily drop, especially Borg Cubes, made me gawk. I'd never seen it drop that fast. I quickly shoved it back into the docks and went for my MVAE. I've seen its DPS - about 3.9K - and I'm comfortable with it. It's not going to melt things in an instant, but it is gonna put people into a worrying position.

It's honestly not fun to see you suddenly ROFLStomp everything with 20K DPS. You guys might like the idea, but as a guy who hates dragged out fights but absolutely refuses to deal with 1HKOs, that's stupid.
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    How can i stroke my Epeen if i can't show you my DPS :D
    GwaoHAD.png
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited March 2014

It's just eerie. I've read the same style of hatred for everything from the Galaxy X to the Excelsior to almost every Klingon ship.

Indeed, to make everyone happy we should ban starships from the game.
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Personally I never liked how they took a one off face melting monster ship and turned it into a mass production vessel, I see loads of the oversized warbirds everywhere

Far as the stat numbers go, kinda makes the older dreads redundant, and that seems a little harsh to owners of the older ships, while I don't own one myself, I wouldn't complain if they got a buff or two ( though personally I am very happy with my ship as it is, I won't complain if they want to make it better :) I mean i have a visually large pair of shuttle bays, can i have a hangar slot too? :P )
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • theuser2021theuser2021 Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In all fairness, According to the lore, the scimitar is supposed to be a really powerful ship. In the movie it handled the Enterprise-e and two Mogai without dropping cloak. So if anything it's completely underpowered! :P
  • adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In all fairness, According to the lore, the scimitar is supposed to be a really powerful ship. In the movie it handled the Enterprise-e and two Mogai without dropping cloak. So if anything it's completely underpowered! :P

Thats part of my issue with it, Its not as powerful as it should be, And yet its still very powerful ( I hesitate to say OP because thats banded around a lot )
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The only thing I hate about scamitars is the way they bat me aside when they warp into space I'm currently occupying.
    16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
    - Anne Bredon
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Variable Opponent Responses has nothing to do with the current 'threat' game mechanic, rather this variable is linked to a damage threshold or damage spikes.

In simple terms, when faced with overwhelming force the Borg (or other bad guys) call in back-up. The number of units is based on the amount of damage over time.
    I am not sure a mechanic which encourages or enables players to intentionally or accidentally grief an entire team by bringing down more enemies that they may or may not be able to handle is necessarily a good plan.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    And I am sick and tired of ship threads.

The problem is not the ships, it never has been the ships. PvE is so damn easy you can stomp all over it in the 'worst' ships in the game.

The problem, as mentioned, it the kit you strap to the ships. And I'll add it's also those certain players who decide to waste their time pursuing the DPS yellow brick road only to come back on here and blame their ships for being broken simply because they can't do 0.005% more damage than the other guy.

Now can we please talk about something else?
  • zachariyazachariya Member Posts: 156 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I take issue with one line of your post.

"...one has to actively try to do poorly in this ship"

Judging from the number of people I see doing poorly in them (my fleet calls them scimitards) a lot of people are actively trying to be terrible.

I especially love to see one charge up their thaleron (more like faileron) pulse only to see it do jack squat to the enemy.
    Shoot through the Galaxy, Final Master Spark!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    edited March 2014
    The Scimitar is just like any other ship. Its all about the build. There are good ones and bad ones out there. I think I out DPS'd 2 Scimitars once in ISE with my Regent... using beam arrays... on BALANCED power.

I happen to enjoy the knife fight, because it feels like a real battle. Not the 1 shot uber DPS nuke everything that a lot of people seem to prefer. Now I wouldn't mind having one of those builds on the team, but I don't want this turning into something where you MUST have that kind of firepower just to do anything like a Gear Score on WoW.
    "You must have a Gear Score of X to participate"
    No thank you.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    prechar wrote: »
    Cool I know what I'm buying my Romulan Tactical Captain after I level her over the bonus XP weekend thanks for the Tip :P

Lol!!! Made me laugh hard, thank you :D
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited March 2014

So it's okay for a ship to be OP if it's based on one that was more powerful than others?
    Sorry but if a ship is on a certain tier it should be there for a simple reason: it belongs there.;)
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Just as the title says.

I don't need to list stats and abilities here; you guys all know what they are. However, if you do want to see them: Scimitar and, for comparison's sake: Tulwar | Falchion

Short of BigPoint, I have seldom seen anything less blatantly 'pay to win.'

So, where does that leave us? We have a horrendously imbalanced ship in one hand, and a genuine (I hope) desire to not infuriate the players who bought said ship by nerfing it (never stopped 'em before, though...) in the other.

How do we solve this? Ways I see:
    - Nerf it?
    -- No, because it will hurt those who bought it
    - Buff every other player ship (minus the free ones**) in the game to be on par?
    -- A lot of work, and will make the NPCs even easier to faceroll.
    - Buff every other player ship (minus the free ones**), and buff NPCs?
    -- Even more work, but...
    --- NPCs need a boost anyway
    --- It will make every other ship one can purchase more appealing
    --- even then, it still seems silly, but, to be fair, Cryptic dug this hole. All I can do is suggest how they might use the same shovel to fill it back up.

And that's where you come in. If you have any ideas about solving this issue, or you think that I'm crazy for thinking this :P, please tell me and explain.

*Optional, but still relevant.
    **Time is currency. Event ships aren't 'free'. (This point is, however, also open for debate.)

Simple.... stop the hating and resent and buy yourself one
    P58WJe7.jpg

• wast33wast33 Member Posts: 1,855 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    whatever others think, i personally agree. and i don't care about contradicting opinions, as they doesn't seem to care about mine :P...

and yeah: i own the scimi, though not flew it a lot.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    i dont care for the scimmy, imo its just too large, when your on the sector map and a scimmy wants to get out of a clusterf- of ships but cant because its just too big to escape! then you got other players to try find a way around it. the thal blast countdown takes way too long to charge up for it to be of any real use outside specific scenarios such as unimatrix ships or tactical cubes and nws, while exploiting the countdown timer and the likely time enemy ships warp in, then bam. tbh, the scimmy could be reworked a bit, adjust the scale sizes and hitbox in sector space.

in any event i have felt no need to get one, nor would i care to at this point. its not an i hate scimmy because i dont have an opinion on it because i never flown it, but from general observations i have seen is the ships size is just a bit too big.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited March 2014

Maybe that should give scimitars a massive debuff vs a Sovereign class ramming them then :P
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Scimitar is O....

You know what, I dont even have the heart for this one.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I am not sure a mechanic which encourages or enables players to intentionally or accidentally grief an entire team by bringing down more enemies that they may or may not be able to handle is necessarily a good plan.

You missed the core principle here: The Extra spawns target the players that triggered them first and foremost, the player that never passed the damage threshold are not targeted. They might get ruffled via Faw or spreads, but they are not the focus. They can get agro if they deliver a set amount of damage to the extra spawns though, but thats their own doing then.

The griefing potential is there, but then again:

The High dps monsters can just trigger all spawns then lean back and watch the failure ensue right now. There is no way to stop peopl from doing it, but it has become rare.

in fact, DPS beasts usually carry pugs that technically have no business leaving spacedock. So in an absurd twist, DPS mongers are good for the game.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    So basically, you want DPS to mean very little.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I think you have a culprit right there. A2B+BFAW+DEM+Marion is op. Remove that, and suddenly a lot of DPS 20k+ cease to exist.
    Without it, the Scimitar would be really powerful, but not so op.
    The real issue is DPS creep. 2 years ago 10K was tough to achieve. Now 20K is not unreasonable.
    This.
    There is a sad reason behind the lvl cap increase we see on others games. The more the devs adds things in the game, the more powerful they need to be, otherwise the players won't be interested in them. And the more powerful they are, the more powercreep there is.
    This is quite obvious, but Cryptic just ignore that.

With the addition of the DOFFs, including some extremely powerful/unbalanced like the technicians or Marion, the fleet gear, including purple MK XII tac console with added crit on them, and Cstore/lobi/lockbox ships that are more and more powerful, we've reach a point I've never seen in a game.

We can do end game content in a blink of an eye. Most of the old ships are obsolete, and even OP ships of the past are not so op anymore, like the JHAS or the Galor.

And more is coming, flanking bonus, double deflector, probably new fleet stuff, more rep stuff...

Cryptic is not even trying to get rid of that. They are not even trying to balance the gameplay anymore. They just add more powerful items, and more way to make money from it. Gameplay is dead, let's make money now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]