test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Boff Slots: MOARRRRRRR!

projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
So when you rank up you get more boff power slots to use.

Barring special purchases ($$$ ships) the 5 Tiers (En+Lt/LtC/Cmdr/Capt/RA/VA) give you:

3, 5, 8, 10,12,12 boff station powers.

Special purchases ($$$$ ships) give you:

3/4, 6, 9, 11, 12, 12 boff station powers.

Currently we end on 12 either way.

Once you're out of En+Lt tier ships these powers are broken into "Primary" and either "secondary/tertiary" or "secondary-secondary" with "primary" having more powers than the rest.

On basic ships this setup is 7/3/2, and barring specific cases (full-carriers) there's always an ensign station rolling about.

At RA/VA let us vote YAY for +3 boff station powers.
At RA/Va let us vote YAY for the VA/RA ensigns to become LT, and the last two powers to upgrade stations or simply add a 6th one (at LT).
At RA/VA let us vote YAY for MOAR POWARZ!
Post edited by projectfrontier on

Comments

• mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Me thinks someone is/was drinking a bit too much.........
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Because who cares about balance, right?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • deathsremnantdeathsremnant Member Posts: 265
    edited February 2014
    Just no, seriously more Boffs are the last thing we need. Maybe, and just maybe if they release a level cap with a higher tier ship...Then maaaybe, add 1 more tier, such as upgrading that ensign to a Lt slot
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    johngazman wrote: »

Balance is OP, plz nerf.
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Me thinks someone is/was drinking a bit too much.........

Do you want some cheese with your sacramental wine?
    johngazman wrote: »

Given that nobody asked for imbalance your post is completely pointless.

And how you managed to get "[MaI LAHKBAQS KNEEDZ SPCSCHULZ!! MAOR MAOR SPCHULZ!!!]" from it is beyond me but you're welcome not to come back anytime.
    Just no, seriously more Boffs are the last thing we need. Maybe, and just maybe if they release a level cap with a higher tier ship...Then maaaybe, add 1 more tier, such as upgrading that ensign to a Lt slot

You'd be great on the dev team. After one week the servers would be shut down.
    Balance is OP, plz nerf.

Not sure if trolling or being serious.
    edited February 2014
    Not sure if trolling or being serious.

I think the same thing every time I see one of your threads. Go figure.
  • timezargtimezarg Member Posts: 1,268
    edited February 2014
    You haven't given a reason why we need more BOFF powers. What, in the entirety of STO, would be solved by the addition of boff powers? The poor NPCs are already chopped into mincemeat as it is, and it would just lead to even more spammable abilities in PvP. It's more likely to BREAK things than fix/improve anything.
    tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp
  • kamenriderzero1kamenriderzero1 Member Posts: 906 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The OP seems to be having power envy, since he can't use something he suddenly thinks adding more slots would be a good idea.
    Everywhere I look, people are screaming about how bad Cryptic is.
    What's my position?
    That people should know what they're screaming about!
    (paraphrased from "The Newsroom)
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    He just came back from having some beers with his friends, probably he dont even know what is he talking about.. lol.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I love how the first thing he did when he got back was to simply attack anyone who disagreed with him. :rolleyes:

Class act.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
    edited February 2014
    timezarg wrote: »
    You haven't given a reason why we need more BOFF powers. What, in the entirety of STO, would be solved by the addition of boff powers?

A shortage of full-blown, over-the-top, terminal power creep? :D
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The # of powers is pretty solid as-is. Some of the layouts could be seriously improved; I feel that most of the ships with a cmdr/ltcmdr of the same type would be better off with a different setup for example. And many officer powers are just out of balance -- a few are used to the exclusion of all others, power to shields, aux to batt, gravity well, tac aoe attacks, the same few over and over on ship after ship. Every power should be equally useful and potent or we end up with this cookie cutter build game instead of diversity.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    More or higher ranked BoFF stations? ... Nope, negative, definetly not ... nnnoooooo ...

However,

Giving some of the lower selling ships and less popular (i.e. not any of the "3 pack" ones) all Universal BoFF stations, would allow players to have some flexibility in what ship they fly and how. As it is, some ships don't sell or aren't popular, simply because they have a TRIBBLE BoFF layout, even though the ship itself might be otherwise quite useful.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The OP seems to be having power envy, since he can't use something he suddenly thinks adding more slots would be a good idea.

The number of slots is not that relevant -- you can only have so many active space BOffs and 5 on the away team. I guess the extra would allow for switching out, but who needs THAT many? Wouldn't it just be easyer to train another BOff and (possibly) reclaim the new shiney BOff after?
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    Giving some of the lower selling ships and less popular (i.e. not any of the "3 pack" ones) all Universal BoFF stations, would allow players to have some flexibility in what ship they fly and how. As it is, some ships don't sell or aren't popular, simply because they have a TRIBBLE BoFF layout, even though the ship itself might be otherwise quite useful.

No thank you. I don't feel that many realize the potency a full uni layout can provide. That is why only BoPs have ever had them.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    No thank you. I don't feel that many realize the potency a full uni layout can provide. That is why only BoPs have ever had them.

That's my point! ... The OP is asking for more or higher ranked BoFF stations, essentially MOAR power ...

What I'm suggesting is allowing players more flexibility in ship choice not necessarily more power, just more options ... Yes The BoP has a wonderful customizability, because of it's Universal Stations ... Does it make the ship OP? No I don't believe so, if it did, we'd see everyone flying them instead of the Scimi, but it does mean that you can fly the BoP with different configurations and still be successful ... Want to make a pure "Alpha DPS" boat? Or a "TankScort"? or a "Sci-Destroyer"? ...

So why not, a variant of the Miranda? Or the Dhelan? with Universal stations? Just to give players who are adventurous (and skilled) more options?
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • herbiehdykemanherbiehdykeman Member Posts: 210 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Here is the way I see it: we don't need more Boff slots for powers..but..

at present the most Boffs we can have doing anything at all is 18..

up to 5 in starship operations;

up to 2 in shuttle operations;

plus the first officer and 6 department heads.

and the 4 on the away team.

for those that have more than 18 Boffs, that would leave some with boffs twiddling their thumbs.. devs might find something for them to do.. any ideas?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • projectfrontierprojectfrontier Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think the same thing every time I see one of your threads. Go figure.

Be honest, you love my threads otherwise you wouldn't try-hard to troll them like you do.
    timezarg wrote: »
    You haven't given a reason why we need more BOFF powers. What, in the entirety of STO, would be solved by the addition of boff powers? The poor NPCs are already chopped into mincemeat as it is, and it would just lead to even more spammable abilities in PvP. It's more likely to BREAK things than fix/improve anything.

The current progression of powers-per-tier is non-linear and it completely breaks at RA-UA/VA.

Do you honestly expect "Fleet Admiral" to have the same 12 power limit?

All that flailing, do you drown on land (sometimes), (often), or (everyday)?
    He just came back from having some beers with his friends, probably he dont even know what is he talking about.. lol.

At the party you're the one who refuses to pass during the puff-puff, eh?
    I love how the first thing he did when he got back was to simply attack anyone who disagreed with him. :rolleyes:

Class act.

Why all the projection, couldn't meet your quota for "clever" without it this week?
    A shortage of full-blown, over-the-top, terminal power creep? :D

This isn't Fleet Admiral, yet.
    noroblad wrote: »
    The # of powers is pretty solid as-is. Some of the layouts could be seriously improved; I feel that most of the ships with a cmdr/ltcmdr of the same type would be better off with a different setup for example. And many officer powers are just out of balance -- a few are used to the exclusion of all others, power to shields, aux to batt, gravity well, tac aoe attacks, the same few over and over on ship after ship. Every power should be equally useful and potent or we end up with this cookie cutter build game instead of diversity.

Emphasis mine - a few more powers improves every layout. Enforce a clean linear progression across all tiers improves game consistency. It also imposes balance by removing arbitrary seclusion practices currently in place.
    More or higher ranked BoFF stations? ... Nope, negative, definetly not ... nnnoooooo ...

However,

Emphasis mine - you're re-affirming negations on a faulty assumption of premise.

Then you briefly paraphrase another topical concept I've address regarding universal stations and boff stations generally where "flexibility is lacking" - the irony being that this thread provides for superior flexibility with or without universals.
    daqhegh wrote: »
    The number of slots is not that relevant -- you can only have so many active space BOffs and 5 on the away team. I guess the extra would allow for switching out, but who needs THAT many? Wouldn't it just be easyer to train another BOff and (possibly) reclaim the new shiney BOff after?

Slot count is entirely relevant to game play within the domains of both boff seats and the count of powers for any given seat.
    That's my point! ... The OP is asking for more or higher ranked BoFF stations, essentially MOAR power ...

What I'm suggesting is allowing players more flexibility in ship choice not necessarily more power, just more options ... Yes The BoP has a wonderful customizability, because of it's Universal Stations ... Does it make the ship OP? No I don't believe so, if it did, we'd see everyone flying them instead of the Scimi, but it does mean that you can fly the BoP with different configurations and still be successful ... Want to make a pure "Alpha DPS" boat? Or a "TankScort"? or a "Sci-Destroyer"? ...

So why not, a variant of the Miranda? Or the Dhelan? with Universal stations? Just to give players who are adventurous (and skilled) more options?

No, the OP is saying "make power-availability perfectly linear and clean up the disparity in counts between the available primary and secondary-focus powers on a ship."
    Here is the way I see it: we don't need more Boff slots for powers..but..

at present the most Boffs we can have doing anything at all is 18..

up to 5 in starship operations;

up to 2 in shuttle operations;

plus the first officer and 6 department heads.

and the 4 on the away team.

for those that have more than 18 Boffs, that would leave some with boffs twiddling their thumbs.. devs might find something for them to do.. any ideas?

That's very doff system-department-head.
  • peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Be honest, you love my threads otherwise you wouldn't try-hard to troll them like you do.

The current progression of powers-per-tier is non-linear and it completely breaks at RA-UA/VA.

Do you honestly expect "Fleet Admiral" to have the same 12 power limit?

All that flailing, do you drown on land (sometimes), (often), or (everyday)?

At the party you're the one who refuses to pass during the puff-puff, eh?

Why all the projection, couldn't meet your quota for "clever" without it this week?

This isn't Fleet Admiral, yet.

Emphasis mine - a few more powers improves every layout. Enforce a clean linear progression across all tiers improves game consistency. It also imposes balance by removing arbitrary seclusion practices currently in place.

Emphasis mine - you're re-affirming negations on a faulty assumption of premise.

Then you briefly paraphrase another topical concept I've address regarding universal stations and boff stations generally where "flexibility is lacking" - the irony being that this thread provides for superior flexibility with or without universals.

Slot count is entirely relevant to game play within the domains of both boff seats and the count of powers for any given seat.

No, the OP is saying "make power-availability perfectly linear and clean up the disparity in counts between the available primary and secondary-focus powers on a ship."

That's very doff system-department-head.

Wow, you just completely proved my point.

You seem to have some aggression issues. And if your ego can't handle people challenging your opinions, you should probably stay off forums.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • thegalaxy31thegalaxy31 Member Posts: 1,211 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Total power creep.
    I would love to visit this star in-game...or maybe this one!
    Won't SOMEONE please think of the CHILDREN?!
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I could see a CPT BoFF slot if they raise the level cap to 60/Admiral. But other than that, I see no point in adding more slots. Maybe have all the tier 5 ships have a universal ensign slot, but that's a stretch.

However, I would like to see all BoFFs with space traits, if not all, at least those that are rewards, like the Breen, Jem'Hadar, Android, and Reman for the Fed Side. I'd add the Gorn, and Orion as well from Diplomacy. The Android vet reward should have 3 different ones depending on whether you have a Tac, Sci, or Eng.
    HzLLhLB.gif