test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not a Nice Ground Guide, E2

peevil31peevil31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Academy
Hello,

Peevil31 (Pellina@Peevil31) back here maybe add some clarification and/or some additional information.

My first guide, here, met with surprisingly little agro. Since then I've been flooded with requests to add to and possibly make another guide.

Here goes.

1. This is not a 'nice' guide.
This guide is the last resort of someone who can no longer stand the quality of public PvE ground missions.

2. You probably won't agree with all/some of this guide.
I do not care. Post whatever you like. Maybe I'll even learn something new.

3. I'll tell it like it is and how it should be.
I'll make specific examples of what not to do when I'm able.

4. Try it.
Don't flame me because it sounds like it won't work. Or flame me then secretly try it and find out it does. I don't care.

5. Experiment whenever you can.
Trying new things is the only way to improve yourself. (hint: stuff coming up might be new)

I'll be making a series of "statements", if you will. These statements will then be followed by 2 distinctions: PvP and PvE. (Player vs. Environment and Player vs. Player) In these sections I'll go a bit more indepth on how the "statements" aply to each circumstance.

Id est:

-Only cool people have a small statured toon costume.-

Creating a small (height) character costume at the tailer. With, some add, neutral and game-common colors.

PvE: Who cares what your toon looks like.

PvP: Some say it makes it harder for click-targeting people to lock on to you.

-Expose and Exploit doesn't really matter.-

Who cares about a split second vulnerability when you're shooting something.

PvE: The bad guys die too fast to even bother with this poorly adopted system to even matter. (generally)

PvP: Exploiting an enemy can often be your only chance of defeating a well experienced/geared opponent. Learn the system well.

-EVERYONE should use consumable buffs, ...everyone.-

People should use consumable buffs when doing ground like "Nog's Nog", "Antiproton Carrier Wave" and Prototype "Ketracel Stimulant".

PvE: Do you want your PuG to go better or faster? Thought so.

PvP: Some consider it "juicing" and therefor looked down upon. Others realize it's a genuine game component and should be used.

-The "Gambling Device" is the single best item in the game.-

The lobi store "Gambling Device" offers the best buff, when considering availability and ease of use, in the game.

PvE: Everyone likes Crits.

PvP: Everyone likes Crits. PvPers like them more.

-Communicate with your team.-

Call out your general strategy at the start of a mission, regardless if anyone else does.

PvE: Even with no one else doing so, you can at least be helpful to the helpless.

PvP: PuGs, normally, need a cattle prod in order to not run around like their butts are on fire.

-Always carry regenerators.-

Carry both a Major and Minor Regenerator with you at all times. Cheaply available at all away team supply, NPC vendors.

PvE: Nothing worse than seeing Mr. NoHypos in your group with a injury list 10 icons long.

PvP: No injuries come from PvP. But being injured while PvPing makes you look stupid.

-Tribbles are dumb.-

Tribble buffs are the weakest and most commonly used buff in the game.

PvE: Read: Above (Gambling Device) Exception: IDIC Tribble -Slot on BOff in Battlezone to get both IDIC buff AND Gambling device's buff.

PvP: Read: Above (Gambling Device)

-Keep your BOff's gear and devices well stocked.-

Make sure at least a core group (4) of your BOffs have the best gear you can afford.

PvE: Dyson farming and Featured Episodes go much smoother with a competently equipped away team.

PvP: Disregard / use them for gear swap storage.

-Make sure your BOffs have the RIGHT skills set.-

Not going to explain this, I'll simply list what you SHOULD have set on your BOffs.

PvE:
Science*: Medical Tricorder 1 - Stasis Field 1 - Tricorder Scan 2 - Nanite Health Monitor 1

Engineer*: Weapons Mal. 1 - Shield Recharge 2 - Mine Barrier 3 - Fuse Armor 1

Tactical Support*: Battle Strat. 1 - Suppressing Fire 1 - Overwatch 1 - Target Optics 3/Lunge 3 (for dino holds)

Tactical Damage*: Battle Strat. 1 - Photon G. 2 - Suppressing Fire 2 - Lunge 3

*If you do not agree, I do not care. Post whatever you want.

PvP: Disregard

-Act like a grown up.-

Be a respectful looser and winner. Ask questions instead of making statements. Offer to help instead of venting anger.

PvE: No one likes an elitest nitwit telling them how they aren't as good as they are. Offer instruction, then follow through or move on.

PvP: If you're PUGing your premade realize that you're going to win and that if you want to see the PvP queues active you'll act accordingly. Meaning that, totally stomping the other team, might... not... be that good of an idea.

-Don't cheat.-

I don't know if it's possible TO cheat in STO although I hear it may be. Doing so doesn't make you better than anyone else, clever or even good at your trade. It makes you a cheat.

PvE: n/a

PvP: n/a

-Use Aim, Crouch when appropriate.-

If you're using an energy weapon to attack press the (default) X button to enter Aim mode, always. Crouch, (default) C button, when you expect ONLY incoming energy weapon damage. Crouching something that deals melee damage will vape you.

PvE: Always use Aim. Always. Learn how use Crouch before you start using it.

PvP: Read: above

In summary: Don't be someone nobody likes, even if you're "good" at what you do. Gear well and game smart.

If you do not like it, I do not care. Post what you will.
Post edited by peevil31 on

Comments

• peevil31peevil31 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Reserved for addendum.
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    small addition to "aim","crouch":

crouch is per default on button "C",
    aim is per default on button "X"

unless you are using a russian keyboard, both buttons are neighbouring your WSAD in the south.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    - I really hate small toons, they are unrealistic and they look awful. You will never see a human so small in the star trek universe, or other species, it is just bad looking. But well, people likes that, there is a taste for everyone..

- I NEVER use aim mode. Y? because there is almost no difference. I used to aim all the time in the past, but since i never noticed any difference, i stop using it. I dont think its worthy to use the aim mode, or even the crouch mode (i use it, but i dont think the difference is noticeable).

- Being using tribbles for my boffs all the time, and they worked great so far. I never used even a hypo for em in any pve instance. Hell, i only use hypos in stfs and thats it. And sometimes i dont even use hypos in stfs.. xD. And it was never a problem for me.

- You dont need special items for the dyson battlezone. I only did the dyson battlezone about 4 or 5 times, but everytime, i was carrying just regular XI items and weapons, same for my boffs. It was really easy for me to capture all the points and gather all my rewards.

Its really curious how you recommend skills that comes from a pure subjetive vision.

For a tactical, my choices are target optics, supressing fire, battle strategies and of course, strike team. Strike team is ESSENTIAL on a tactical toon. There is no too much to chose besides this. Tactical universal skills are always the same.

Stasis field is useless. NEVER use it, never. If you go alone, you can use it, and still is a really useless skill.
    edited February 2014
    - I really hate small toons, they are unrealistic and they look awful. You will never see a human so small in the star trek universe, or other species, it is just bad looking. But well, people likes that, there is a taste for everyone..

- I NEVER use aim mode. Y? because there is almost no difference. I used to aim all the time in the past, but since i never noticed any difference, i stop using it. I dont think its worthy to use the aim mode, or even the crouch mode (i use it, but i dont think the difference is noticeable).

- Being using tribbles for my boffs all the time, and they worked great so far. I never used even a hypo for em in any pve instance. Hell, i only use hypos in stfs and thats it. And sometimes i dont even use hypos in stfs.. xD. And it was never a problem for me.

- You dont need special items for the dyson battlezone. I only did the dyson battlezone about 4 or 5 times, but everytime, i was carrying just regular XI items and weapons, same for my boffs. It was really easy for me to capture all the points and gather all my rewards.

Its really curious how you recommend skills that comes from a pure subjetive vision.

For a tactical, my choices are target optics, supressing fire, battle strategies and of course, strike team. Strike team is ESSENTIAL on a tactical toon. There is no too much to chose besides this. Tactical universal skills are always the same.

Stasis field is useless. NEVER use it, never. If you go alone, you can use it, and still is a really useless skill.

Please, whatever you do, do not listen to this person. I'm sure he means well, it's just that he has no idea (for the most part) what he's talking about. Almost every thing he posted is untrue or will lead to bad ground performance. No offense sir but I think you need a bit more ground experience before you call me out on b.s.

Below is MY credibility and my YouTube Channel. Feel free to browse.

Here
  • gwassalorgwassalor Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2014
    unikon wrote: »
    I have a habit of not using aim mode either. Its annoying to initiate and cancel IMO.

Well, engage aim - pressing X, just next to C for crouch, so it can't be easier.
    Disengage - I learned to disengage it by running. For some reason Shift-Forward works better for me then pressing X again.
    edited February 2014
    peevil31 wrote: »
    Please, whatever you do, do not listen to this person. I'm sure he means well, it's just that he has no idea (for the most part) what he's talking about. Almost every thing he posted is untrue or will lead to bad ground performance. No offense sir but I think you need a bit more ground experience before you call me out on b.s.

Below is MY credibility and my YouTube Channel. Feel free to browse.

Here

Please. whatever you do, do not listen to this person. He has no idea what he is talking about. You say i dont have any idea, but u have no idea as well. Some things you say in your post are just stupid, but if you want to have credit for your "tutorial" then, i will s up.

And it doesnt matter if you have a youtube channel or thousands or you playing since decades ago (that will be untrue since some things you say in your post have no sense at all). As i say, if you like, for example to play with those skills and that build and using those strategies is your choice. But god, dont say that is an example on what skills and strategies to use that people must follow. You should guard that for yourself.
    edited February 2014
    Some things you say in your post are just stupid, but if you want to have credit for your "tutorial" then, i will s up.

And it doesnt matter if you have a youtube channel or thousands or you playing since decades ago (that will be untrue since some things you say in your post have no sense at all). As i say, if you like, for example to play with those skills and that build and using those strategies is your choice. But god, dont say that is an example on what skills and strategies to use that people must follow. You should guard that for yourself.

Your argument is nul.
    peevil31 wrote: »
    Hello,

Peevil31 (Pellina@Peevil31) back here maybe add some clarification and/or some additional information.

My first guide, here, met with surprisingly little agro. Since then I've been flooded with requests to add to and possibly make another guide.

Here goes.

1. This is not a 'nice' guide.
    This guide is the last resort of someone who can no longer stand the quality of public PvE ground missions.

2. You probably won't agree with all/some of this guide.
    I do not care. Post whatever you like. Maybe I'll even learn something new.

3. I'll tell it like it is and how it should be.
    I'll make specific examples of what not to do when I'm able.

4. Try it.
    Don't flame me because it sounds like it won't work. Or flame me then secretly try it and find out it does. I don't care.

5. Experiment whenever you can.
    Trying new things is the only way to improve yourself. (hint: stuff coming up might be new)

Again, I'm sure this person means well and all that but I honestly do not agree with anything this person has said. As you are here to read my guide and not his, try to listen to my advice. Or not, up to you.

Perhaps this person should create their own guide instead of posting competitive seeming arguments below the hard work of others? Just an idea. Probably wrong but as stated before, I really do not care.
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, you REALLY do not need anything special in terms of weapons or armor, anything above white MK XII is basically overkill. I was able to go through the Dyson ground stuff with garbage white Mk XI stuff and only died once against the T-rex (and that was because i ran out of hypos and all my healing abilities were on CD)

Other than that, it is a good guide overall and you need to be thanked for the work put into this.
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2014

33% boost to damage output isn't a difference? Not just to regular shots, but to everything your ranged weapon puts out? There's little reason not to use it. It's a free damage buff with no CD that can be used by any class at any time. Likewise crouch, +50% dodge. If you have some distance from your target, why wouldn't you want to ignore some more of the incoming fire when all it costs you is a keystroke? To break crouch/aim when your enemy gets up on you... just sprint.

I wouldn't put consumables on Boffs either, they're morons about how they use them. They pop shield charges like candy, and hypos aren't much better. Might as well throw a tribble on them. For your captain, if you have access to any of the special Tribbles or the gambling device... again, why not use it. You hit it once, it lasts a long while, whatever extra it's doing is gravy.

Boff skills are largely arguable. Peevil's probably work fine. I personally prefer a dedicated Medic Sci and a Tank/Debuff Eng to support my Captains who are always DPS. To each his own. Just make sure you choose Boff skills for a reason, and not just because it's what they happened to have when you got them.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
    edited February 2014
    33% boost to damage output isn't a difference? Not just to regular shots, but to everything your ranged weapon puts out? There's little reason not to use it. It's a free damage buff with no CD that can be used by any class at any time. Likewise crouch, +50% dodge. If you have some distance from your target, why wouldn't you want to ignore some more of the incoming fire when all it costs you is a keystroke? To break crouch/aim when your enemy gets up on you... just sprint.

I know what the stats tells me. But in the field, i dont notice any real difference. It takes me 3-4 seconds to kill a Voth, and it takes me 3-4 seconds to kill a Voth using aim mode. So, maybe its bugged?

I use crouch mode all the time, but only because im used to it xD. But again, i dont really feel the 50% dodge chance in the game, maybe i am always unlucky and i get the 50% that doesnt proc. lol
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree, aiming at common mobs will probably not matter. There isn't enough time for a 33% boost to become noticeable. If you're playing your character well, you'll probably take them out in 1-2 shots either way. For anything heftier, like commander grade or better, or certainly a miniboss or V-Rex, it will make a difference. When talking to new players though, I'd rather they just get used to using it even if they don't need it. Like I said, it's free, and there's not much reason to not use it.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg