test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO Website migration

Comments

• voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yes, they want people to be interested in their games and want to play them. To that end the essential information should be right up front (not buried in the Guides section) and the logo for the individual game should played up (not relegated to smaller text) rather than the loader/semi-browser (which has the big logo at the top).

They're not 'selling' Arc, they're 'selling' the PWE line of games.

This is where you are ABSOLUTELY DEAD WRONG. They are absolutely selling ARC, they're selling it harder than anything else they have, and why you may ask, because it brings in a huge stream of revenue from all of the ads and tracking information they are selling to advertisers. You really think their game line up is extensive and impressive enough to really pull in that much additional revenue from new/current players that it's worth the money they've sunk into ARC, hell no. Everytime you click a click and go to a new page or launch arc you're making them money.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sjameshsjamesh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is already bad enough that you make us go through Arc for the game bun now you even switch websites?!?! When will the Arc madness end? :mad:

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • venkouvenkou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hey Captains!

As you can tell, STO has been officially migrated over to the new Arc website layout. You will now automatically be redirected to this site and no longer the old one. We want to inform you that this does NOT mean Arc is mandatory, and that you can still access your games through the old launchers. As always, we are aware of player concerns, so if you have any feedback or questions, let us know.

Thanks,

Sparkiesoft and the Arc Team
    Arc's website layout does not allow you to purchase zen for 'Star Trek: Online'.
  • captfabulouscaptfabulous Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Bloody hell you people are the biggest bunch of whining crybabies I have ever seen.

FACT: this is the new website. It's not going to change. Demanding it be changed back is pointless. Grow up and get used it. Arc will soon be mandatory. It's coming. They aren't going to change their minds because the same 25 people who complain about every single change are still, y'know, complaining.

Grow the hell up and start acting like adults. If you have CONSTRUCTIVE criticism, then by all means express it. But the constant neverending crying and moaning has got to stop. It's old and tired. And it serves absolutely no useful purpose because (heartbreaker) IT'S ALL BEING IGNORED.

Damn, it's like nursery school around here.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    voicesdark wrote: »
    This is where you are ABSOLUTELY DEAD WRONG. They are absolutely selling ARC, they're selling it harder than anything else they have, and why you may ask, because it brings in a huge stream of revenue from all of the ads and tracking information they are selling to advertisers. You really think their game line up is extensive and impressive enough to really pull in that much additional revenue from new/current players that it's worth the money they've sunk into ARC, hell no. Everytime you click a click and go to a new page or launch arc you're making them money.

You are misinformed. Where are these ads, where is this tracking information. The only info that gets sent back to cryptic/pwe is system performance and a few minor things, but no tracking cookies nothing.
    edited February 2014
    venkou wrote: »
    Arc's website layout does not allow you to purchase zen for 'Star Trek: Online'.

Sure does. You see that big word ZEN at the top of the screen?
    edited February 2014
    sjamesh wrote: »
    It is already bad enough that you make us go through Arc for the game bun now you even switch websites?!?! When will the Arc madness end? :mad:

I hate to break this to you, but it's not. Might as well get used to it now cause it's not going away.
  • voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rhoric wrote: »
    You are misinformed. Where are these ads, where is this tracking information. The only info that gets sent back to cryptic/pwe is system performance and a few minor things, but no tracking cookies nothing.

you obviously have absolutely no idea on how to track what cookies and their type that are being placed on your system by specific websites, etc. Even PWE goes into explaining exactly what type of cookies they are adding onto your system including 3rd party and advertising ones. There are plenty of browser addons and websites that will collect all data about what cookies are on your system, purpose and supplier. I highly suggest you find one of those that suits your system, then delete all cookies on your system and then come back to the arc and sto websites and really see what is being added. It's a lot more than just the google analytics and facebook connect.

simply using something like adblock doesn't stop them from being added to your system, it just stops you from seeing the ads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    I hate to break this to you, but it's not. Might as well get used to it now cause it's not going away.
    I'm afraid you may be correct.
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    voicesdark wrote: »
    you obviously have absolutely no idea on how to track what cookies and their type that are being placed on your system by specific websites, etc. Even PWE goes into explaining exactly what type of cookies they are adding onto your system including 3rd party and advertising ones. There are plenty of browser addons and websites that will collect all data about what cookies are on your system, purpose and supplier. I highly suggest you find one of those that suits your system, then delete all cookies on your system and then come back to the arc and sto websites and really see what is being added. It's a lot more than just the google analytics and facebook connect.

simply using something like adblock doesn't stop them from being added to your system, it just stops you from seeing the ads.

Um, you do realize that pretty much EVERY SINGLE SITE you visit on the Internet uses cookies to track you, and the vast majority of them are for advertising purposes, right?

But somehow it's a big deal because PWE does it too? Please explain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I greatly dislike the ARC website. It's very confusing and not intuitional at all. Took me forever to access the forums coming from the Perfect World website. Ending finding forum button as a tiny button off in the corner.

And the news, I can't tell which is new news or which is old news.

If this was my website, I would tell the website person to redo it or find a new job.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Q
  • olivia211olivia211 Member Posts: 675 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Q

Disable ARCs ability to send data. No need to worry about spying after that.
    No, I am not who you think I am. I am someone different. I am instead a banana.
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
    Say NO to ARC!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    Sure does. You see that big word ZEN at the top of the screen?
    When you go through the purchasing process, the option to choose 'Star Trek: Online' does not exist.
    edited February 2014
    When you go through the purchasing process, the option to choose 'Star Trek: Online' does not exist.

That hasn't been an option since the game was converted to Zen. You buy Zen in one step and then transfer it to the PWE game of your choice from your Zen wallet. It's been this way for a very long time.
  • genrldestructiongenrldestruction Member Posts: 192 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    olivia211 wrote: »
    Disable ARCs ability to send data. No need to worry about spying after that.

The last time I looked they had removed the options for data collection from the client. (Confirmed by looking just now. There are no more options in the client about data collection/reporting).

About the website... I just gave this thread a quick glance and many of the things people are saying (such as the site is confusing because of the tiles layout) are things that I said back in the feedback thread when the arcgames.com site first became active, and they don't seem to have taken any of that feedback to heart.

The two things I don't like besides the tiles layout are:
    1.) The lack of a prominent game logo.
    2.) That arcgames.com links to the product page as opposed to the news page. There should probably be two links for each game. I hate the extra clicking. Then again, we always had to go through the LoR intro page, so it's about the same.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    sjamesh wrote: »

Shhh! It's all a conspiracy to get you and worffan101 to quit playing the game as well as stay uninsured. :eek:
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    crash490r wrote: »
    Actually, go look at every game PWE has. All of them are uniform, these new sites are not half assed and are very professional looking.

PWE is a business, not a charity, the primary focus being? Well duh, getting people to play their games, so making a single website containing all of them, and giving each forum the same style is the logical approach.

And no one is "forcing" you to use this website. You don't have to use the website nor the forums, you want to, otherwise why are you even here and posting?

And yes, I have to use this site because the old one has a really big annoying automatic redirect.
    edited February 2014
    That hasn't been an option since the game was converted to Zen. You buy Zen in one step and then transfer it to the PWE game of your choice from your Zen wallet. It's been this way for a very long time.
    Everything works fine now.

I went through the process for a third time. When it became time to select the game, the option for 'Star Trek: Online' had finally popped up. It took some time for the drop-down list to refresh. Time to buy my TNG uniform.

:)
  • kamblekamble Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really can't see what all the drama is about.....
    log onto the original sto address, bookmark the
    arc page it automatically redirects you too. It
    may be different, but I quite like it, also it sits very
    nicely on tablets.. no need to use any other part
    of the arc site at all then.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    Everything works fine now.

I went through the process for a third time. When it became time to select the game, the option for 'Star Trek: Online' had finally popped up. It took some time for the drop-down list to refresh. Time to buy my TNG uniform.

:)

Cool, glad to hear it's all working for ya :D
  • nullafynullafy Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I can't see how this new website welcomes NEW players in at all - its confusing and so hard to see what the "features are"... wheres the Star Trek branding? thats the biggest draw!

If they would add a space themed background instead of the plain grey i think it'd help a lot...

My biggest issue? Can't seem to add the news feed to my RSS reader!
    Anyone had any success there or am I just missing it?
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Asking for another person's username and password may be a violation of the ToS. And no offense, but the tone of your comments doesn't read as entirely mature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My biggest issue is that Arc is being forced on us, and it's not really doing anything.

If PWE wants to rip off Origin, who ripped off Steam, who probably ripped off others... let them, but don't force it on the players. Don't make people download your extra steps just because you want your name on even more places in the game. I don't need or want a launcher for my launcher.

To be honest, i don't trust PWE, i don't play any of their non-Cryptic games and i don't care too. Ever since PWE took over, Cryptic only seems to show up in my Spam folder. Given that a lot more people seem to be voicing their opinions against this game, it's current direction, and the companies involved, Forcing your unnecessary, unneeded, and unwanted product on us is only going to make things worse before it gets better.
  • centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The site is fine just make the forums easier to look at please.
    edited February 2014