test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

dps as part of ship info feature

howiebabey82howiebabey82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Academy
when i bring up ship info like crith severity why not dps in that category too?
Post edited by howiebabey82 on

Comments

• flyingcatmanflyingcatman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's a massive conspiracy to cover up the existence of extra-terrestrials.

Really, though, this would be a nice thing.
  • mjrkrakenmjrkraken Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Maybe because 'DPS' is very subjective due to range/weapon power/consoles/etc. so there's no real way to have a accurate 'DPS' stat for ships?
  • howiebabey82howiebabey82 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    add effective range at ... beside it whatever the range is and im sure they could add the consoles to account same with skills etc
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Because it is just impossible. DPS is calculated for tons of factors, including enemy resistance to your weapons, for example. So there is no way to show the DPS of a ship in the info.
  • pwecangetlostpwecangetlost Member Posts: 538 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Could have a base/ approximate dps, and have a tooltip that actually explains a bit about the factors which affect it.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Could have a base/ approximate dps, and have a tooltip that actually explains a bit about the factors which affect it.

tac/sci/engineer powers, power-settings, consoles, devices, weapons, distance, reputation, skills and many more factors... you will get a very long explanation.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    DPS is not a function of the number of weapon slots, or weapons used.

I firmly believe the the pilots abilities to use the correct skills at the right times impacts dps more than anything else. I've seen MK X common weapons do 18K dps in the hands of a good pilot, while an idiot piloting a Scimidar with VR XII romulan plasma weapons doing less than 1500 dps.

It's all about the skills (the characters and the palyers), and sadly that can't be measured.
  • genadagenada Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There's ships that sell that are poor at dps (Galaxy), that if you were to put up a est dps value, would not sell well.

He's not asking for a exact number for dps I believe, he's asking for a rating. Like giving the ships a star system for how well to expect them to perform at certain things. A system I think they could do and would be helpful.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nah, he is asking for numbers.. otherwise, it will not make sense at all. And i dont think people will like to see a info that is probably 50% wrong, since as we said, dps depends on so many things.....
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mjrkraken wrote: »
    Maybe because 'DPS' is very subjective due to range/weapon power/consoles/etc. so there's no real way to have a accurate 'DPS' stat for ships?

What? My father's brother's cousin's nephew's cousin's former roommate has a Scimitar that does 90k DPS at all times, even in sector space, no joke.
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why not a "debriefing screen" after every mission with several statistics including DPS for that mission?
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
  • variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why not a "debriefing screen" after every mission with several statistics including DPS for that mission?

A built-in combat parser? That's actually a great idea.
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,516 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Can't one glean an idea for their capable DPS based on hovering over their active weapons slots? My Tetryons will read about 850 DPS until I activate some of the abilities (FAW, BO, etc...) and they jump up to about 1600 DPS each... Just wondering if this is an accurate "guess" as to one's capacity to do damage.

For instance, if I have 7 VR Mk XI Tetryon beam arrays on an Odyssey with a bunch of cool consoles and I could guess at about:
    7 x 1600 = 11,200 DPS

And that would just be standard... Doesn't count the Mines or the extra science abilities (as this particular is a sci cap) like Grav Well and such...

Just wondering...
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • kaiserkactokaiserkacto Member Posts: 482 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Can't one glean an idea for their capable DPS based on hovering over their active weapons slots? My Tetryons will read about 850 DPS until I activate some of the abilities (FAW, BO, etc...) and they jump up to about 1600 DPS each... Just wondering if this is an accurate "guess" as to one's capacity to do damage.

For instance, if I have 7 VR Mk XI Tetryon beam arrays on an Odyssey with a bunch of cool consoles and I could guess at about:
    7 x 1600 = 11,200 DPS

And that would just be standard... Doesn't count the Mines or the extra science abilities (as this particular is a sci cap) like Grav Well and such...

Just wondering...
    CM

True, Expected DPS change practically every time you activate a weapon or a ability, that's why the feature requested by the op would be useless.

A built-in parser would be better
    "In every age,
    In every place,
    The deeds of men remain the same..."
    12701.png
    edited February 2014
    Agreed...

Just wondered if my suggestion made a valid starting point...

:)
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Its a computer, a calculator, it can figure up those "tons of figures" and come up with a number that is relevent to every build possible.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014

I would love something like this.

but I'd want moarrrr.

Thing is, I'd like to see how much I healed others, drained enemies, held for how many seconds etc.

It'd be good to see what sort of support stats are happening as well.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited February 2014

Smart suggestion.. DAMN FINE suggestion... DEV's, you listening?
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why do I envisage any dev response sounding like Golum mulling over a riddle with Bilbo in those caves? Is it shiney, is it scrumptious, will it make us money?
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited February 2014
    Its been a while since I've run a pvp, but isn't there a debriefing screen that pops up after a pvp? If it's not, what is that thing and could it be adapted to fill this "debriefing" role?

CM
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Its a computer, a calculator, it can figure up those "tons of figures" and come up with a number that is relevent to every build possible.

The thing is, even if all of the factors related to your ship--your equipment, skills, abilities, etc. are accounted for, the amount of damage is STILL dependent on how much damage resistance your target has, so at best the computer could only predict damage against a zero-defense, zero-resistance target, which will naturally be significantly more than against any realistic target (which DOES have defense and resistance), and so players are going to complain that the computer's prediction is a lie.
  • janus1975janus1975 Member Posts: 739 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    rinkster wrote: »
    I would love something like this... Thing is, I'd like to see how much I healed others, drained enemies, held for how many seconds etc...

This would be very useful as it would not only help us see whether changes to our ships were providing expected benefits but would also help instill a sense of teamwork with heals and other such "non-damage" benefits (conversely, it could help show heavy DPSers if/what heals they needed to survive).

Good all round methinks.
  • mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 390 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What most everyone has already said...

Any sort of blanket DPS statement is wrong.
    Even if you equipped whatever gear they assumed that you were using, put the same and whatever quality Doffs on the job, used whatever Boff abilities at whatever rank and on and on and on, the one thing that is still required is that you actually click the buttons when the computer assumes you will.

Every second you are not dealing damage for whatever reason, your DPS drops.

And as far as a more "general" rating, how hard can it be to count up weapon slots, tactical console slots, and tac Boff slots?
    How much of a bonus does the ship provide to weapon power?
    Does the ship have some built-in ability designed to increase damage?

There's your 'general' rating.

==================

As far as a personal parser, sure.

After any mission give players an option to look at their basic combat stats: How much damage did they deal, what was their DPS? How much healing did they do? How much damage did they take? How many times were they defeated?

For both ground and space combat.

The argument against will probably be that some people will say that groups will demand people reveal their parser info and that people could be kicked as a result.

I don't do a whole lot of grouping, but if someone wants to kick me because I am not 'good enough' for them then they aren't people that I want to associate with anyway.

I would rather struggle my way through missions with a casual group having fun than roll over it with a bunch of people that judge everyone else only by whatever numbers they deem important that come out of a computer.

So yeah, so what? We just did an STF and you don't like my numbers? I just did the STF. What do I care about your opinion of my numbers?
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They would never say "This ships does X dps" because people like me would do more, and most people would do far less.

The people that did far less would be filling the forums with "I paid Y money to do X DPS and I can't, your ship isn't as good as you said it was blah blah blah"

Cryptic isn't about to do anything that makes the majority of the playerbase feel like they can't be competitive. That is why even HOE and NWS are virtual cakewalks, bugs aside. Setting a bar for average performance will only make people realize how poorly they really are doing.

And what kind of ruler do you use to measure? Some people do more in "TRIBBLE" ships then some other people ever do in top of the line DPS machines. I giggle when I out DPS some tac/scim in my Gal-R with elite fleet phasers... Could you imagine the floods of people in the forums complaining that their 50$ romulan tac monster got out DPS's by a Gal-R? When they had a "promise" that their ship would do more then mine?
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • kintishokintisho Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    maxvitor wrote: »
    Why do I envisage any dev response sounding like Golum mulling over a riddle with Bilbo in those caves? Is it shiney, is it scrumptious, will it make us money?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAH ROFL this is one of the best replies Ive ever seen, thanks for this..
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The thing is, even if all of the factors related to your ship--your equipment, skills, abilities, etc. are accounted for, the amount of damage is STILL dependent on how much damage resistance your target has, so at best the computer could only predict damage against a zero-defense, zero-resistance target, which will naturally be significantly more than against any realistic target (which DOES have defense and resistance), and so players are going to complain that the computer's prediction is a lie.

All they have to do is label the DPS number as "Potential Max DPS" and as long as it is accurate for all users, it shouldnt be an issue. .
  • bareelbareel Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The weapon overlay tooltip in a space (not sector) map will always reflect the weapons current 'at that exact moment' damage output ignoring only two factors.

1) Drop off penalty for range

2) Enemy resistance/immunity/etc

And it does have a hard time keeping up with the weapon power drain modification to your damage every half second but beyond that it is accurate.

I suppose they could combine all weapons into one giant DPS number but then it would need to reflect all 4 possible arcs and actually be 4 numbers and I doubt even the game understands it's own weapon power drain mechanics at this point and that would be a nice addition but hardly worth the amount of manpower it would take to implement.