test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Lobi ships exchange price increases

dontphasemedontphaseme Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Why have most of the lobi ships increased so much in price lately? Especially with more lobi being added to the game (Arc etc). They always hovered around 80 million or so now all of a sudden they're all 100+ million?

Is there some no life ec billionaire wannabe ferengi flipping these?
Post edited by dontphaseme on

Comments

• cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Key Prices could be having an effect on this, they have been hovering around 1.9 to 2 mill each, people that are buying them at these prices need to make up their costs somehow, so they are increasing their prices.

As for the EC billionaire angle, I think some have gotten out of the flipping market because the only ones that can afford a lobi ship are other flippers, why try and sell something 99% of the player base in the game can't afford?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,462 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    There's also a fair share of speculation going on on the exchange. Buy at X, resell at X+5M.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'll spare my gripes about about Margin Trading.

Another thing to consider is that it has been a while since the last featured episode promotion. That brought a lot of lobi into the game and it might simply be a matter of less lobi ships being in circulation.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Another reason is these ships don't drop hardly anymore. Less ships dropping= less stock= higher prices.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It is a bit frustrating. It isn't just Lobi ships either, many of the other box ships have been going up. I started saving for a Wells a little while ago. When I started, they were at 130m. Wasn't too bad since I started with a base of 50m. Just as I hit 140m, they went up in price to 200m in the last week. So it's a bit frustrating that even though I can earn the funds for it, I can't seem to earn it fast enough to keep up with the rising cost. Eh.

(Sorry, just venting really.)
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Why have most of the lobi ships increased so much in price lately?
    Because people are slowly starting to realize that they have paid around $200.00 for that single-character Lobi ship and they want to get some intrinsic value from it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,572 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah I noticed that about the Wells as well. A few weeks ago I picked it up for 140 for my Fed Sci character (sold a bunch of Romulan Survivor Duty Packs to do so, but) a week or so after that event ended there were a couple of them listed for around 80. They did not last long at that price at all and I assume one of the oil, I mean, ship speculators snatched them up and are responsible for pushing the price up to 215 mill or so after that.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Without more things to take Energy Credits out of the game (fees, things to buy from NPCs) you'll see inflation. So prices rise because there is more money in the game.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well, I have 800 lobi burning a hole in my pocket, so while I have sympathy for the buyers, this is good news to me:D
  • erraberrab Member Posts: 1,434 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Because people are slowly starting to realize that they have paid around $200.00 for that single-character Lobi ship and they want to get some intrinsic value from it.

And we have a winner!

A lobi ship cost just about $200.00 and players are just starting to wake up to that fact.

I'm so glad that I bought all the lobi and lock box ships that I wanted months ago when it was a buyers market on the exchange.

Ever since Cryptic made the changes to the exchange sometime back it has bee much harder to find deals and turn large EC profits using it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When the low-priced bargain items are bought out the only things left are the high-priced units. When there is a ready supply, there is a constant influx of low-priced items from eager sellers. Limited supply means prices creep upwards and upwards until there is no market left or prices are high enough for other people to start undercutting. That's how it works.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I wonder what would happen to the market if items going through the exchange become account bound.
    That would eliminate all speculation and only leave legitimate/I actually want this item buys.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Prices went up because lobi became account bound.

timelord79 wrote: »
    I wonder what would happen to the market if items going through the exchange become account bound.
    That would eliminate all speculation and only leave legitimate/I actually want this item buys.

This is a stupid idea. Cryptic must unbind many items which currently are bound but not make more bound items.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Its called inflation.

Every day, more and more new players enter the game. This means that there is more and more ec drops in the game. Loot from hostiles, Tour the Universe and so on.

When the amount of EC in the game increases, a million ec is worth less than it used to be. For example, around a year and a half ago, when there were fewer players in the game, there was less Ec input, so EC wasnt flooding the markets.

Now we see more EC entering the game than that players spend on other places than the exchange. Prices go up then, so that items keep their value. The Bug ships are off the exchange, since they are worth more than 500 million energy credits. They are still worth around the same though (although rarer, they are no longer the DPS kings they used to be).

The problem is that although ec is worth less, we are not earning more. "We" are the players that do not play the exchange. Tour the Universe still gives you 450k, that 450k is simply worth what used to be 300k.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    Prices went up because lobi became account bound.

This is a stupid idea. Cryptic must unbind many items which currently are bound but not make more bound items.

I didn't say it was a good or bad idea. I was just wondering what kind of effect it would have on the exchange prices if an exchange bought item could not be resold for a higher price.

if I had to guess, than we would have much fewer items on the exchange, because many of them only serve as a token for EC exchange and nothing else.
    The items which are interesting for practical buyers could go up in price because suddenly they are actually rare or go down in price because the value is no longer inflated.

The losers of this would be the people profiting from exchange trickery which is a bubble in itself and doesn't add anything to the game.
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • puttenhamputtenham Member Posts: 1,052 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    because the economy is broken in this game, and there is no real ec sink.. so people have oodles of it just burning holes in their pockets.. if someone buys it at a ridiculous price, it doesn't stop the sellers from keeping it at that price, or testing the market to see if they can get more..
  • mightybobcncmightybobcnc Member Posts: 3,354 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Inflation
    Supply and demand
    Prices are what the market will bear

Joined January 2009
    Finger wrote:
    Nitpicking is a time-honored tradition of science fiction. Asking your readers not to worry about the "little things" is like asking a dog not to sniff at people's crotches. If there's something that appears to violate natural laws, then you can expect someone's going to point it out. That's just the way things are.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    puttenham wrote: »
    because the economy is broken in this game, and there is no real ec sink.. so people have oodles of it just burning holes in their pockets.. if someone buys it at a ridiculous price, it doesn't stop the sellers from keeping it at that price, or testing the market to see if they can get more..

Funny. my EC sink keeping me from a Wells is a fleet. . . :(

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • stonefyrestonefyre Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The market rises and falls in cycles. Back when the JHAS first came out I was able to finance buying one off the exchange by crafting and selling items on the exchange over the course of two weeks. Back then a bug was 300M EC, and I could make 50M crafting on a good day with about 30 minutes effort. After that I just kept going as a easy way to build up EC, then one day about a year later the market crashed and I was left with an inventory full of very rare items I couldn't sell for more than a few 10K each. Kept thinking the market would come back, but after a few months gave up. C'est la vie.

I'm not surprised the market would eventually shift back to the sellers, but it won't last forever. But it may last a while.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Funny. my EC sink keeping me from a Wells is a fleet. . . :(

Not everyone contribute goods to fleet. It's a sink to some people, but not most.

What this game needs is an EC shop that actually has good items that people want to buy, for appropriately high prices.