test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission Skip Suggestion

captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
edited March 2014 in Federation Discussion
I wish that I could skip individual objectives within a mission. That would be most helpful, you see, because I am not exactly an expert when it comes to battle. If only I had the ability to skip over what I could not complete, I would have had much larger advancements by now and not have to continue to skip missions.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
"Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
"I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
Post edited by captclazorus on

Comments

• kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well. the only way you are going to get better at combat is to try and learn the ropes of it. If you keep skipping the combat sections of the game, you are going to be sorely disappointed when you reach levelcap and there is nothing left to do but punch things for marks, EC, and Dilithium.

Early combat is a bit difficult because you only have the basics to work with, and you don't have super epic Zen store cheese consoles. But mastering the basics will allow you to have a good grasp of the game's mechanics. It will also allow you to more fully enjoy the game, in it's entirety.

If you need help in figuring out mechanics and missions, ask your fleet for support and training. If you do not have a fleet, feel free to check out the link below and apply for Fleet Operations. We have a long history of training newbies and turning them into forces of nature within PvE and PvP queues.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Now this can't be serious!

start ISE, hit the skip combat button, move out with 100 omega marks and 1k dilithium? Has AFKing become too hard or what?
    Go pro or go home
  • algideonalgideon Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well that is what happenes when you leave Starfleet Academy without a clue. :P
    If you skiped over the combat so far, where are you? Still at Academy? You need to focus on combat, not avoid it! Otherwise you should consider to play poker online but no MMO. I mean the core of every MMO is combat and in STO it is mainly ship combat. I do understand that it can be quite hard to beat some battles early on but keep working on your build and equip and you can do it. This game doesn't have much Star Trekish exploration and diplomacy in it. It's sad but it's true. You'll need to learn how to fight if you want to do more than stand in ESD after you hit levelcap.
  • captclazoruscaptclazorus Member Posts: 377 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The truth is I joined the game because I'm a huge Trek fan, not because I wanted battle. I am completely unaccustomed to MMOs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Star Trek: Rubicon" Season 1, Season 2 A new era, a new time, a new crew, a new ship, a new mission...
    "I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment because it will never come again."- Jean-Luc Picard
  • snoggymack22snoggymack22 Member Posts: 7,084 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The truth is I joined the game because I'm a huge Trek fan, not because I wanted battle. I am completely unaccustomed to MMOs.

This is a bit of what I call "forcing it" ... but it's something I've done that can help reacquire a bit of the Trek feel and less of the battle mode.

Take those explore a cluster missions that want you to complete 3 missions in say Delta Volanis or any of the others.

Do those missions. SKIP all of the ones that involve combat that you don't like. (You can just enter, see it's a mission style you don't like and leave the system).

When you get mid-levels, you can do this for multiple clusters/areas.

Combine that with story missions (and replays) of missions you do like that feel Trek to you.
    Combine those with DOFF assignments (that does feel pretty Trek-like).
    Combine those with Foundry missions you find Trek-like.
    Combine those with Diplomacy Contact missions.

It's really kind of forcing it, I admit. But it does lend itself to a more Trek-like feel than some of the really combat oriented missions during the level grind.

It's just a suggestion. Feel free to modify it or ignore it.

I do know what you mean. The primary reason I've come back to this game so many times is I like Trek. I just wish the game itself had a bit more depth in terms of the Trek feel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • algideonalgideon Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2014

And that is the Problem for a lot of Trek Fans. Don't get me wrong, I understand you and I wish the game would give Players the option to really play only to explore or do diplomatic missions. But at this moment these Missions are...well...they are nothing you would want to play as the only content of the game. If they revamp the exploration and Sector Space it might be another story but right now the only thing you can really spend time with always contains combat.
    But the Foundry was a good suggestion. It contains many Missions that are more Story or Dialogue based than on combat. You can even get some dilithium and gear from them.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Unfortunately, MMOs are generally set up for combat. I am not a huge fan of MMOs, STO is the first MMO I have every played.

I have read a few opinions about STO where which basically states it is not a "real" Star Trek game because too much of it revolves around combat. Granted that the combat is not the focus of many of the TV episodes, but I would think that most people would consider diplomatic missions to be quite boarding especially when there is no voice acting involved and you have to do a lot of reading.

I tried a few Foundry mission that were basically story driven, but had some combat. At first it was okay, but eventually I got tired of reading through a lot of text and simply glanced at it while quickly clicking through the dialog to get to the combat section.

Truth be told, a MMO can only survive as long as it is popular. Good combat mechanics (well at least for space battles in STO) and a good story line help attract potential new players (like myself). While diplomatic mission which involves no combat is a nice change of pace, it can become very boring after a while.

STO is the best and only Star Trek game I have played since Starfleet Command I and II which were... um..... combat oriented.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    Now this can't be serious!

start ISE, hit the skip combat button, move out with 100 omega marks and 1k dilithium? Has AFKing become too hard or what?

Ahmmm... I don't think he meant STFs but story missions/battle
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Ahmmm... I don't think he meant STFs but story missions/battle

ok, fine...substitute ISE with a daily mission that rewards dilithium (one of the deferi for instance, or the whatever you like)
    it's still a lazy excuse.
    Either you play a mission from start to end, and actually overcome the difficulties (that is how it is supposed to be anway) OR you just skip the mission as whole, which is already a possibility.

The more outragous thing in this thread is the "difficulty" of certain missions. With a little dedication and brainpower, nothing is this game can be considered difficult, most certainly not the story missions.
    If even that is too much asked for...well, this person probably has bigger problems in his/her life than sto's story missions.
    Go pro or go home
  • mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    MMO's are about combat, you cannot really play an MMO without some form of combat. honestly, do not play video games really, unless you want combat as that is all you will get most of te time. EVERY star trek game (that matters anyway) has combat in some form, it is not just STO.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    baudl wrote: »
    ok, fine...substitute ISE with a daily mission that rewards dilithium (one of the deferi for instance, or the whatever you like)
    it's still a lazy excuse.
    Either you play a mission from start to end, and actually overcome the difficulties (that is how it is supposed to be anway) OR you just skip the mission as whole, which is already a possibility.

The more outragous thing in this thread is the "difficulty" of certain missions. With a little dedication and brainpower, nothing is this game can be considered difficult, most certainly not the story missions.
    If even that is too much asked for...well, this person probably has bigger problems in his/her life than sto's story missions.

Tell him, not me :(

I... I just... wanted to set it right what he meant..:(

Mmmmuuuuummmmyyyyyy
  • xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Sounds like something one can abuse. Give one free objective skip, anymore and you lose your mission rewards.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]