test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free Shuttle & Lobi Ending Soon! [Now Ended]

Comments

• rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~syberghost
  • id0liciousid0licious Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    sammyspet1 wrote: »
    where is your prof on this ARC evil? where is it? all you haters just hate with no prof as no was provided why should people listen to you?

you lot are making urselfs look stupid as u have no prof.

This is so g*dd*mned hilarious. :P

On topic:

ARC sucks, no thx; good day.

Though I will give it a go if you let me finally access the JHAS for my JHDC. Seriously, bribe me with something worth my time (and therefore money).

*Italian mobster voice*

COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I dont play any games that go through uplay, I dont play games that go through origin, I dont play games that go through steam.

Sure as hell not going to carry on playing this game if Arc becomes Mandatory.
  • jelly0jelly0 Member Posts: 560 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    askray wrote: »
    As stated in my signature I'm a volunteer not a cryptic/pwe employee so I have no control over what is added into arc.

That said the plugin actually is in chrome, firefox etc and what it does is automatically launch/install the game from the website from what i understand so you can just click a link on the site and boom the game goes into your ARC launcher :)

So we open up internet browser, goto website, launch game to go into arc launcher to play STO ?
  • anodynesanodynes Member Posts: 1,999 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    lordlalo wrote: »
    Obvously you have not used it lately or performed a clean install for it. Allow me to explain:

My dad is a mechanic, the only computer interaction he gets is as shop forman at the garage. He is a Trek fan and the moment he found all his grandkids were playing, well lets just say it came up as a belated xmas present to get him on STO.

I literally just boxed up a pc just for STO (and facebook) for him. During a fresh install, after all windows updates, directx, drivers, etc, I go hunting for the STO patcher - it does not exist officially.

I install arc. After installing Arc, I then install STO. I close Arc completely and open STO from the patcher.

After a 12Gb download, I get this message:

"Error, cannot access file for writing that is locked by another process. Retrying 1"

Eventually you just have to close the patcher. Patch again, same thing.

Open arc, and patch -- it works flawlessly.

This is an indication of "file tagging" similar to the way files are tagged in repositories. But ultimately, it is a guarantee that only arc can be used to patch STO once you get it.

So you ask what I'm talking about -- that is what I'm talking about.

So lets recap and examine this for a moment:

Virus:

1. Does it copy its own code into other places of the computer without your consent? check
    2. Is it detrimental? It won't let you use the patcher in standalone mode so... check

Arc has the hallmarks of a virus.

So, just to see for myself, I ran the launcher without starting Arc today. It patched just fine. It's probably just you here.
    This is an MMO, not a Star Trek episode simulator. That would make for a terrible game.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So many people don't understand what "freedom of speech", as written by the constitution means. Let me explain:
    Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    Taken from: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/charters/bill_of_rights_transcript.html

That means only congress, aka the government cannot make laws interfering with freedom of speech (or religion).

It makes no mention of non-government entities. Companies, and even people themselves, are not subject to following that amendment. What that means is people can limit other people's speech all they want, as long as it's not the government doing it.

Interesting side-effect is this only refers to congress. In theory, the president could sign an executive order placing a limit on speech, assuming it passed the Supreme Court (as I understand it). Although I think executive orders are a violation of the checks and balances we're supposed to have in place.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,433 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    In theory, the president could sign an executive order placing a limit on speech, assuming it passed the Supreme Court (as I understand it). Although I think executive orders are a violation of the checks and balances we're supposed to have in place.
    Depends on the executive order. If the Executive orders an action to take place which would be unConstitutional if issued by Congress, the courts have traditionally ruled that to be invalid. (A few exceptions occurred during WWII, but people were even more panicky then than they are now.)

Of course, someone has to sue first - the Supreme Court isn't allowed to rule on something pre-emptively (which is why "interracial" marriage was a felony in 17 states until 1967, and Loving v. Virginia - yes, my marriage was illegal in several states when I was a kid).
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • jorstojorsto Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nope.

Not even if you give away a T5 fleet ship and 500 lobi crystals and 4 borg Boff for each char would i use the piece of software that ARC is.

No Thanks.

I like to play Games, not use some crappy piece of advertisement platform disguised as a game launcher, that requires ADMIN privileges to play...

Didn't your Devs learn anything from Valve?

No, not even if you gave away thousands of ZEN.

And not even if you pull STO from Steam.

Because, the moment perfectworld pulls STO from Steam is the moment STO loses loads of paying customers.

[EDIT]:

PS: Before anyone claims that i don't know what I'm talking about: I was forced to use ARC to install a completely different game (from perfectworld) in order to remove a bogus /localtrade Channel from STO due to a weird bug. That game was not available through steam, so i had to try out ARC just to /leave that channel in another game to get rid of all the erroneous chat messages in STO.
    So i DID try out ARC.
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Depends on the executive order. If the Executive orders an action to take place which would be unConstitutional if issued by Congress, the courts have traditionally ruled that to be invalid. (A few exceptions occurred during WWII, but people were even more panicky then than they are now.)

Of course, someone has to sue first - the Supreme Court isn't allowed to rule on something pre-emptively (which is why "interracial" marriage was a felony in 17 states until 1967, and Loving v. Virginia - yes, my marriage was illegal in several states when I was a kid).

That makes sense, and I forgot about the litigation part.

Also, they changed the forum theme today. Not sure yet if I like it. I don't dislike it yet though.
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is interesting. Way is Cryptic going push some software some people don't want to use. Gosh!! Cryptic get a new idea.

Bribes do not work.
  • xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    jorsto wrote: »
    ...Because, the moment perfectworld pulls STO from Steam is the moment STO loses loads of paying customers. ...

Being that this may very well be a possibility, I just want to say (way down here on page 42), I purchase Zen via Steam. It is the ONLY way I purchase anything for my various online gaming addictions. You can draw your own conclusions from here as to why I wanted to say it.

To whom, if anyone, it may concern.
  • razzyaqil#7951 razzyaqil Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I got 3 accounts on 3 different computers I used 1 shuttle just cause and trade 2 on one account sold one shuttle for 23mill EC and I got twice the ammount since I got 2:)
  • arcjetarcjet Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    robdmc wrote: »
    I think the fact that you think it is a stupid idea tells me it would work on you.

This is a typical contemporary marketing belief/creed, and one of the reasons quite a few companies have gone the way of the dodo.
    That kind of reasoning always sounds cool, until you realize it way actualy just ignorant, and wishful.

I too think it is a stupid idea, and trust me, it's a lot more likely that it would make me play something else, instead of using Arc.
  • monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    raziq16601 wrote: »
    I got 3 accounts on 3 different computers I used 1 shuttle just cause and trade 2 on one account sold one shuttle for 23mill EC and I got twice the ammount since I got 2:)

And how did you sell it? The box the shuttle from this giveaway is in is bound to your account. You can't sell them or trade them between accounts. :confused:
  • vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    They'll eventually use the JAS as a bribe. I still won't install it.

Nods. I won't either.

I just finished talking to a fleet Admiral I will help it get to tier 5 and the other fleet tier 3. Which both are in process of. I'm pretty much lessening my time playing. I got the Dyson ship for twos characters(I have three). One has the complete set and the other I'm not repeating the anniversary mission to get the full set. Four times was enough! This game is so far from Star Trek now but I will help my fleet mates complete the current tier being worked on but I'm not grinding it personally.

Lastly, I'm not taking the ARC brides.

So, Cryptic was successful in that.
  • cajalacajala Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    Or you could salvage a little bit of your self respect, and let them keep their crappy bribes, like I did.

Indeed, I wouldn't install arc if they hand out 1k lobi. Nothing in this world can make me install that piece of ....
  • ocelot2ocelot2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    resumod wrote: »
    Lets see if "bribing" works both ways.

I decided not to spend a single cent on STO as long as it is not clear if I will be forced to use Arc somewhen.
    If I will be forced - good bye. I will never ever install a Steam like software on any of my PCs.
    If I will be able to choose until end of time. Shut up and take my money.

I love this game and still spend money on it but, with all the game companies wanting to add their own client I can't just keep adding them. There are way to many MMO's out there now to have to stick to any one so, if ARC became mandatory then bye-bye STO it was fun. Unless ARC became a lightweight, non-intrusive work of art.
  • crash490rcrash490r Member Posts: 88 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ocelot2 wrote: »
    if ARC became mandatory then bye-bye STO it was fun.

If you choose to allow a single program define weather or not you play a game you enjoy, then all I can say is:

kbai.

The fact of the matter is: If ARC becomes mandatory, no amount of player walk-outs is going to make PWE change their mind, I've been playing PW games since long before they bought Cryptic so I speak from experience here. When their mind is made up, it's made up. So you can /ragequit over it, or adapt.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • mvp333mvp333 Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crash490r wrote: »
    If you choose to allow a single program define weather or not you play a game you enjoy, then all I can say is:

kbai.

The fact of the matter is: If ARC becomes mandatory, no amount of player walk-outs is going to make PWE change their mind, I've been playing PW games since long before they bought Cryptic so I speak from experience here. When their mind is made up, it's made up. So you can /ragequit over it, or adapt.

Yes, and honestly, how much adaptation will it take? It's essentially just a new launcher... if you play other PWE games, it makes things easier for you by a bit I guess, if you don't, it really doesn't matter. Sure, it's unnecessary and might take up a bit of memory, but unless you have a really old computer, does that even matter?
  • kadvelkadvel Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I went and installed the Arc client and STO, but I didn't receive any items. Does one have to do something specifically to get these items after logging in, or do I have to do something else?
    edited February 2014
    kadvel wrote: »
    Well I went and installed the Arc client and STO, but I didn't receive any items. Does one have to do something specifically to get these items after logging in, or do I have to do something else?

So many people fail to read. You have to launch STO FROM Arc.

Open the Arc client and you should see a 'Play' button on the left next to STO. Click it to launch the game. Arc will stay running and this is the only way to get the free stuff.
  • kadvelkadvel Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    So many people fail to read. You have to launch STO FROM Arc.

Open the Arc client and you should see a 'Play' button on the left next to STO. Click it to launch the game. Arc will stay running and this is the only way to get the free stuff.

That's what I've tried with no success.
  • robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited February 2014

kbai.

Maybe so but it's not a matter of forcing a company to change there mind it is a matter of not wanting useless TRIBBLE on our PC's and no amount of bribes will force us to install it. If it was uselful to the game then maybe I would consider it but after all the feedback or lack off to our comments it has strengthened my resolve to leave when it goes mandatory.
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    robeasom wrote: »
    Maybe so but it's not a matter of forcing a company to change there mind it is a matter of not wanting useless TRIBBLE on our PC's and no amount of bribes will force us to install it. If it was uselful to the game then maybe I would consider it but after all the feedback or lack off to our comments it has strengthened my resolve to leave when it goes mandatory.

Then please refer to my previous post.

kbai.

If ARC goes mandatory and people leave, PW will promote all its games more and attract more customers that won't have any reservations about ARC.
    mvp333 wrote: »
    Yes, and honestly, how much adaptation will it take? It's essentially just a new launcher... if you play other PWE games, it makes things easier for you by a bit I guess, if you don't, it really doesn't matter. Sure, it's unnecessary and might take up a bit of memory, but unless you have a really old computer, does that even matter?

^ This. It's one new launcher, and not only does it work for STO, but ALL PW games. If you can't deal with that as I said, kbai.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
  • buommanbuomman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I got the gift on my first character and later deleted that character in order to make him look better, not thinking that the gift would be destroyed, thought it was account bound. Is there a way I can get the gift again?
  • chucktcchucktc Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    YES! I did the same thing on my account. The storm here kept knocking me offline while making my first character, chose the wrong MOS and deleted it before leaving the academy. Please return the shuttle, I was going to make a Frengi just for it.
  • porzeusporzeus Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    P.S. IMO, the Ferengi shuttle has one of the best small-craft shields in the game. #MetaphasicShieldsFTW

Don't miss out!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
    I'm a complete newbie... Just installed the game through Arc, but I can't find the shuttle anywhere... (Don't even know where to look) My first character is through level 4 in the Romulan flotilla. What should I do?
    Many thanks in advance!
    edited February 2014
    buomman wrote: »
    I got the gift on my first character and later deleted that character in order to make him look better, not thinking that the gift would be destroyed, thought it was account bound. Is there a way I can get the gift again?

Not that I am aware of.
    chucktc wrote: »
    YES! I did the same thing on my account. The storm here kept knocking me offline while making my first character, chose the wrong MOS and deleted it before leaving the academy. Please return the shuttle, I was going to make a Frengi just for it.

See above, not sure there is anything that can be done.
    porzeus wrote: »
    I'm a complete newbie... Just installed the game through Arc, but I can't find the shuttle anywhere... (Don't even know where to look) My first character is through level 4 in the Romulan flotilla. What should I do?
    Many thanks in advance!

Check your mailbox on the flotilla or summon a cell ship(should be the first or second mission out of the tutorial) and you can claim it there.
    LTS Since 2012
    do1ao9.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Not that I am aware of.

See above, not sure there is anything that can be done.

Check your mailbox on the flotilla or summon a cell ship(should be the first or second mission out of the tutorial) and you can claim it there.

Nope. After launching the game from Arc, the first character you log into will receive an appreciation package in your inventory. The only thing you get in the mail is a thank you letter for using Arc.

When you open the appreciation package in your inventory you receive a stack of 20 Lobi Crystals and a box containing the Ferengi shuttle. They are account bound but have to be placed in your account bank to transfer them to other characters on your account. The shuttle becomes permanently bound to the character who opened the shuttle box. If the shuttle is discharged it's gone for good.

You only receive this gift ONCE per account. If you delete the items, or lose them somehow, you are completely out of luck. The only way to replace the items is to open lockboxes for the Lobi, then once you have enough Lobi, purchase the shuttle from the Lobi store. The ships in the lobi store can actually be mailed to yourself, traded to other players, and sold in the exchange. Only the free Ferengi shuttle from the Arc promotion is bound to your account, and all Lobi Crystals are bound to your account regardless of how you got them.
  • wazzmeisterwazzmeister Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    yet i still havent got mine.. and after a month of back n forth with customer support still nothing
    !!!!!
This discussion has been closed.