test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

KDF Pet Choices

jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Klingon Discussion
Lookint at a Kar'Fi as a change of pace from my battle cruisers and raptors. What pets do the highest DPS? Are the Fer'Jai frigates worth getting? I would prefer a frigate, unless it is a waste of space.

I have read some old posts about the frigates lagging in the DPS department due to not keeping their cannons lined up. If that is true are the slavers worth using, or should I grind out the tholian widow fighters? Or are any of the pets really worth it?
My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
Post edited by jagdhippies on

Comments

• xablisxablis Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I usually use one hangar of advanced frigates and one hangar of advanced slavers (I like the bonus loot) on my Kar'fi and it works pretty well for me (fleet is not up to the elites yet, so the advanced are doing the trick for now). If you want fighters with better dps go for the scorpions from the new romulus rep. Nice thing with the frigates is they do tend to stay alive much longer than any fighters do, and except for rare occasions you can usually fire off a heal to them before they die on you.
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Elite Fer'jai are excellent troll pets - stuns, movement hindrance and decent damage. Best dps is probably the elite Scorpions, I think.

If you're using GW, the Fer'jai's trics can cause some fun moments, btw :)
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    beam pets do more dps than cannon pets. The highest dps KDF pets I have tested so far are elite slavers.

Some of the others will spike more, with HY quantums and the like, but you cant control their timing.
  • alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    frigates damage is low compared to others, they are good debuffers. but they survive better.
    s'kull fighters can do ramming speed, but it happens may be once in whole stf. also there no reason to get advanced/elite type, they get only ramming speed buffed and by very marginal number. however its reported that they do quite the damage with their cannons. still only energy damage is reliable. actually you can live with them until you get something really better.
    slavers are best overall as starter pet. funny as it is - there also no real reason to get adv/elite one. photon mines have way less cooldown and therefore do more dps. stealing stuff/contrabands routine reported to be bugged and non the less got nerved several times.
    main reason for slavers is their reliability, they always do constant damage, react very fast, respawn fast.

most damage you can get either out of elite scorpions or tholian widows. scorps can do more because of the HY3 plasma torps if they don't get destroyed. widow do more energy damage because of FAW, but also draw more agro and die quite often that way.
  • mreeves7amreeves7a Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Kar'fi flips the standard carrier-pet set up (that being carrier for support, pets for damage) such that the Kar'fi is the damage dealer here (4/3 weps, lt cmdr and lt tac, 3 or 4 tac consoles, good turn). I typically choose hangars for my Kar'fi based on what sort of damage dealing my build leans on.

Power drain or DHC kar'fi for STFs get really good mileage out of advanced/elite interceptors, exotic damage beamboat is paired with Fer'jais to get those trico stuns and aceton beam debuffs, scorpions if I want to push single target damage.
  • nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Fer'ja frigs suffer in sustained dps due to being extremely fast, second only to interceptors, while using dual antiprotons with low arc. These same qualities also makes them the definitive pets for pvp. Elite Fer'ja frigs have a tendency to follow up volley of dual ap on rapid fire III with tricobalt torp on heavy yield III, producing a nasty dmg spike on a bombing run.

S'kul fighters have better dps, and suicides on low health to cause additional dmg. In practice, it's not much different than other fighters.

The best dps is scorpion fighter, which is cross faction. It suffers from low health and is killed easily.

The Kar'fi is a tac carrier, but that doesn't mean you don't fit damaging pets. The 2 bays are as effective as any other carriers.
  • auron8222auron8222 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    elite interceptors
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks all, I think I will start with the slavers while I grind enough dilithium for the elite scorpions.
    edited February 2014
    Thanks all, I think I will start with the slavers while I grind enough dilithium for the elite scorpions.

Slavers are very poor choice for dps. One beam array without faw just doesn't put out a lot. People were using them for contraband farming until it got nerfed. You're better off with skul fighters that come with the ship until scorps. Slavers do have a tendency to not get killed as often as most fighters due to orbiting at long range while shooting their beams, avoiding the core breaches.
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Speaking of Klingon pets I was looking at getting some enhanced Fer'Jai for my Kar'fi for the tric launchers. My question though, is there any difference between the Advanced and the Elite other than the CRF and THY being 3 instead of 2?
  • alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    afaik, that's exactly their benefits, higher tier skills.
    the only problem, but common one for all fer'jai - high yeld goes mostly off cronitron trop, not tricobalt one. you will hardly notice any difference.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Elite Slavers get Photon Torpedoes, which is a major boost to the DPS over advanced and basic slavers, I've seen my slaver torpedoes crit for 20,000 damage, much to my surprise and confusion as to how they do that (and I know its not my torp as the only photon torp I use is the gravimetric one which is labeled as such in the combat log.)

Orion Elite Slavers are the most dependable dps, they have no targetable HY torps, just steady dps from Photon Torps and Disurptor beams (which in turn boost my dps when they proc), with the Quantum mines as gravy. And having two projectiles and one energy weapon means they have three weapons, but no energy drain on weapon systems. And the constant fire of photons (they appear to be as good as regular photon torps are fire about as often) means they're more likely to hit hull when shields go down.

And beams work better at a distance for better survivablity and dps on pets.

And FAW on pets means they're draw aggro way too much, the frequent deaths negate part of the advantage.

And yes Slavers don't steal as much loot, but its more then the zero of other pets. This wouldn't mean much if they weren't already one of the best pets in the game, but they are.

And to the poster who said that basic Slavers are as good as Elites, not by a long shot, the Photon Torps make a huge difference.

On a Kar'fi I'd get one set of frigates and one set of Elite Slavers.
  • serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Anyone who knows what their doing uses Elite Interceptors.
  • sardizasardiza Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    What's the base hit points on the Elite Slavers? I know that the Elite Interceptors pop out with ~4.6k hps, while Elite Scorp and Widows start with half that (around 2.2k).
    edited February 2014
    They used to have the same hull as Interceptors, but they got nerfed. I get the numbers later.

They died slightly more often then interceptors, but nether have that much hull points so its not that much of an deal.

And Elite Interceptors are usually my go to for PVP, except against tanky cruisers where I prefer Elite Slavers, but in PVE you just don't need that much cc so I go with Elite slavers which also steal stuff.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is from testing in Starbase 234, sitting 14k out and throwing pets at the starbase until it is destroyed

Elite BOPs : 31,013 HP : 988 DPS
    Elite Slavers : 2,777 HP : 1314 DPS
    Elite Scorpions : 2,777 HP : 969 DPS
    Adv Swarmers : 1,860 HP : 1167 DPS

The ships with beams do the most DPS
  • jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I forgot about the advanced swarmers, I might use them while I grind out enough dilithium for whatever I settle on at the end. The elite Slavers are looking better and better.
    edited February 2014
    I might try Elite Swarmers some day, I mean they have two different antiproton beams, focused and defensive, an antiproton turret, and transphasic torpedoes and beam overload 3. Downside they like to get in close and if they had any fewer hps sneezing would kill them. I mean that's alot of fire power per and you can launch 6 per hangar. I mean the advanced verison does more damage then anything except Elite Slavers and in some circumstances Elite Scorpians. The Elites Swarmers might do even more damage.
    edited February 2014
    Swarmers are about spike dmg. They don't seem to miss, when slavers miss surprisingly frequently on anything that's not structure. Swarmers also apply spike dmg to one shield facing, while slavers slowly grind all facings while in far orbit.
    edited February 2014
    Why would swarmers have more accuracy then other pets? Nothing is listed on thier arments that indicate that they should be more accurate.

Maybe its that they get up close to the target? Does distance effect accuracy?
  • cmdrskyfallercmdrskyfaller Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    Why would swarmers have more accuracy then other pets? Nothing is listed on thier arments that indicate that they should be more accurate.

Maybe its that they get up close to the target? Does distance effect accuracy?

I have no clue. I fielded 2 full hangars of elite slavers until their contraband steal rate got nerfed, and their green beams miss, all the time. I haven't noticed this with swarmers or fed pets.
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Elite scorpions because torpedo plasma dot stacks.

The problem with stuff relying on targetable projectiles for their dmg is the moment you encounter things with AOE abilities, they are rendered completely useless.

You'll be able to do just fine in STFs, but when NPCs pop up with AOE stuff, done.

In PVP, Elite Scorpions are also a complete failure.
    XzRTofz.gif