test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Long Range Tetryon Cannon

tairisdeamhantairisdeamhan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
So I picked this up for my Mirror Negh Var along with a selection of the other lock box Tetryons...

And find myself very confused when my Destabilizing Tetryon Beam Array has a higher base DPS than the 180 degree fire arc cannon. Is this a bug or am I missing something here?
Post edited by tairisdeamhan on

Comments

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,234 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Not a bug its just a really rubbish weapon. The entire set is rubbish the mines do under half the dps of normal mines and the weapon is pretty low DPS as well.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For extra frustration, compare the DPS of the tetryon cannon to that of the Elachi Lobi single heavy cannon...
  • tairisdeamhantairisdeamhan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I should have paid more attention before I bought it but by the same virtue this makes zero sense. This is the only single cannon in the game with lower DPS than a beam array.
  • eradicator84eradicator84 Member Posts: 1,116 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Need to remember, over distance it does NOT loose damage. All other energy weapons loose damage the further you are out. So if slugging 'em from a distance, it's probably better.

The mines... I'm guessing are meant to be stacked up in large numbers (no limit) behind you before you go in close and unleash them all on victim.
    AFMJGUR.jpg
    edited February 2014
    Need to remember, over distance it does NOT loose damage. All other energy weapons loose damage the further you are out. So if slugging 'em from a distance, it's probably better.

The mines... I'm guessing are meant to be stacked up in large numbers (no limit) behind you before you go in close and unleash them all on victim.

I thought about that, but how significant is drop-off damage? Because the difference between the two weapons' dps is pretty staggering. The thing's practically a turret.
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was just messing around a bit with it on tribble it looks like its doing around 800ish damage a shot at 10k with no tac consoles buffing it, Protonic DHC buffed by 4 mk X polaron tac consoles at 10k was around 800 damage as well.

The DHC's will ramp up their damage pretty fast however as you close in so its kinda iffy to use the Sniper cannon, Guess you could toss it on a torp boat and hang out at 10k although this would make the mines pretty much useless.

Probably not the best test of it really since I just parked 10k off Starbase 234 and fired off a few rounds someone else can hopefully do a better test.

The mines aren't too bad either depending how you use them really, they can soak up some FaW shots you would be eating otherwise and since they are following you if your doing a attack run there's a fairly good chance they are going to be hitting the shield facing you just finished dropping. On the other hand I can see them possibly causing you problems in pvp if a aoe torp spread 3 happened to target a number of them as well as you which could probably hurt quite a bit.

It could probably use a bit of a buff really increasing the Sniper attack to 14k would make more sense and have its normal shots range stay at 12k and a increase to the proc chance of the shield drain might do it and add a turn rate debuff to the quantum mines and it would be a pretty nice set really especially on a raider, the weapons drain, cooldown, weapons lockout and charge up of the snipe does seem a bit extreme still tho.

It wouldn't be too bad if the snipe could be activated outside of range and without a target and have it charge up then and fire as soon as you hit the 12k mark.
  • antoniosalieriantoniosalieri Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I picked up the entire set to test it out day one. Wish I hadn't bothered. Its all junk.

The cannon is a bad joke.

The mine could have been cool... but makes zero sense in a set with a sniper cannon.

Extreme close range weapon with an extreme long range one. WTH is that about.

Console isn't even worth running. Its trash.

Cannon should have been = to the Elachi single... Cosnole should have had +dmg resist on it as well making it the first uni armor console Mines should have launched a proper amount that had proper dmg numbers, and had a 3 piece mode that allowed you to fling them at targets up to 12 km away.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    the mine launcher of this set supports only two tethered mines any time. If you deploy more the older mines just drop the tethering and become normal mines.
    edited February 2014
    The overwhelming inferiority of these parts makes me wonder if this set was preemptively nerfed, so the underlying mechanics of mine-tethering and sniping could be tested in theory without people crying op...
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Was doing some more checking on it.

Mines - Does the damage of rare mk X quantum mines however quantum mines launch 4 where tethered launch 2, also fairly sure Dispersal Beta III launches 16 quantum to the tethered mines 8. The tethered also don't appear to have any modifiers on them.

Long range cannon - Does around half the damage and dps of a set of Mk XI DHC.

Console - Is fairly underwhelming as well would have been nice to see a crit or severity bonus on it or turn rate.

Sniper shot ability - Really needs reworked its charge up time and power drain combined with the cooldown make it rather lackluster

It could realistically be salvaged if they increased the proc chance on the cannon and brought its dps and damage up to around dual 75-80% of a DHC tossing a bonus to accuracy on it wouldn't hurt either. The mines could be improved easily by increasing their damage the addition of a turn-rate debuff or something would also be nice. The console adding a accuracy, crit severity or crith to it would improve it a great deal. Could also just have it give a chance for all weapons to proc the destabilized tetyron proc which would work nicely. The sniper shot I would say make it similar to torpedo abilities you hit it and it charges up and lasts for 60sec modifying the first shot from it into the snipe, drop the power drain to 25 (hirogen bonus removes power drain) and increase the snipe portion to 14k range and normal shots would remain at 12k.
  • shar487ashar487a Member Posts: 1,292 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only thing the long range cannon is good for is double-tapping. I tried out the full Hirogen tetryon set with the Nukara beam bank + console. TS3 Grav-Torps + Sniper Shot + Beam Overload = frequent dead targets. With AP Alpha + Omega active, the sniper shot hits roughly 20k base damage.
  • tairisdeamhantairisdeamhan Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well good to know I have what amounts to a useless set. Much appreciated, Cryptic.
  • verusisraelverusisrael Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Extreme close range weapon with an extreme long range one. WTH is that about.

shotty sniper man, my favorite set up in fps haha
  • verusisraelverusisrael Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    shar487a wrote: »
    the sniper shot hits roughly 20k base damage.

pve or pvp?