test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Approximately how long does it take..

saihung423saihung423 Member Posts: 548 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
for food poisoning to set in?

Also, when pork goes bad...does it eventually smell like good salmon? I either ate some bad pork or some odd pork like salmon.

Either way, my stomach hasn't revolted yet and in fact, may have enjoyed the challenge. I am excited to think that if my stomach can digest rancid meat, I might be able to shave off, literally, DOZENS of dollars from my monthly food bill.

Exciting times my friends, exciting times.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    temporalhavoctemporalhavoc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ...Can I have your stuff if/when you die? :D
    Nick - Human Tactical Officer - FED [INACTIVE]
    Tenix - Romulan Science Officer - KDF Ally [INACTIVE]
    M'ossa - Ferasan Science Officer - KDF [MAIN]

Formerly known on the forums as Remissus
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You have dibs sir. Called thusly.
  • Options
    ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    saihung423 wrote: »

Also, when pork goes bad...does it eventually smell like good salmon? I either ate some bad pork or some odd pork like salmon.

Either way, my stomach hasn't revolted yet and in fact, may have enjoyed the challenge. I am excited to think that if my stomach can digest rancid meat, I might be able to shave off, literally, DOZENS of dollars from my monthly food bill.

Well, if it was only a little bit, you may be fine. If it was a lot, then there are a couple of possibilities:

1) You puke your guts out when it comes tim to digest (maybe a couple of hours).
    2) Your stomach explodes.

Or possibly both.

I'm kidding, I'm kidding.

Well, about the exploding part, not so much about the puking part.

Actually, I've never had food poisoning. I'm sensible enough to think that if it doesn't taste right, spit it out before it develops language skills. :P

Good luck!
  • Options
    shurato2099shurato2099 Member Posts: 588 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Depends on the form, actually: 2-6 hours depending on the cause. The most common forms are from salmonella and E. Coli although you'll also find staphylococcus in meats. That's not counting mold/fungal growth if the food has started to get moldy which will usually get to you pretty quickly.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    even spoiled meat, cooked, wont be life threatening it as will just taste bad and send your system in somersaults for a while and i know, ive done it before. human body is resilient and often overlooked with all this nanny advice on foods. but that doesnt mean you should completely throw it all out the window and take it to reckless otherwise you will end up doing more harm then you intended.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Just eat proper food, or else you might become a nominee for the Darwin awards..
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    stoutes wrote: »
    Just eat proper food, or else you might become a nominee for the Darwin awards..

that isnt always possible for some south of the equator.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    yeah, you might die, but probably not... you might just feel queasy for a while.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thankfully, we won't rise as zombies days later and eventually become an apocalypse.

If the meat in the fridge is approaching three days old, throw it out.
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    It wasn't much, about the size of a golfball. There were two of them.

I ate the second one to see if it was different in taste or texture from the first. It was more...ehh...porky like...less fishy.

I don't throw up much unless alcohol is involved or I am cleaning the litter box. Or both.

*sigh* If only I didn't like fish and pork so much...

Pork: the other white fish

So...good news and bad news...good news, I will survive, bad news for temporalhavok...I keep my stuff. But really, what would you do with all that duct tape and bacon bits anyway? Nothing good I'd imagine.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    lonnehart wrote: »
    Thankfully, we won't rise as zombies days later and eventually become an apocalypse.

ive eaten bacon 7 days old, doesnt smell good, but cooked, its no different from when it was opened from the packaging (of course put in the fridge). guidelines are one thing, but i wont throw out perfectly good meat until it starts going green or having an issue with mold. by then its been chucked and another batch of bacon is ready to be opened. its the same with this silly display before on the packaging. tinned stuff is sealed out from the the atmosphere and left in a cold enough room it can last for years and all you need to do is open the tin, cook the contents and it will still be the same the day you bought it. same with 5 day old bread, it may go a bit stale but put in a toaster and buttered, its fine.

ive operated like this for a decade now, and not once have i had any trouble with food.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    lonnehart wrote: »

You must be a very thin person. Bacteria and germs are like natures crazy salt to us fatties.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You must be a very thin person. Bacteria and germs are like natures crazy salt to us fatties.

No. When meat goes bad, it's less tasty when you cook it. I found out the hard way...
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*