test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Aux2Batt/Photonic Officer

igorvalentineigorvalentine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Hi peeps! I'm wondering if someone can tell me if the reduction in recharge time is stacked when I combine Auxiliary to Battery with Photonic Officer.

If I use Photonic Officer and get a 32% percent recharge reduction and then use a2b and get a 30% recharge reduction from technicians, will it stack to 62% or does one cancel the other out?

Also, would it be better to use A2B first or PO? Does A2B work for skills the next time you use them or only if the skill is already recharging?

I hope you don't mind all the questions, I'm just trying to figure out the mechanics.
Post edited by igorvalentine on

Comments

• bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    Photonic officer does not give a 32% recharge reduction. It speeds up recharge of the ability by 32%, the difference is that if you took both to 100% a reduction would allow you to use the ability straight away while the speeding up of the recharge would simply halve the recharge time. It is very bad wording on the ability, also photonic officer generally sucks without very specific builds and doffs.

Mimey will probably be along soon because you mentioned Photonic officer, he knows a lot about it =)

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bpharma wrote: »
    Mimey will probably be along soon because you mentioned Photonic officer, he knows a lot about it =)

Know mimey did this thread: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=11948741

But can't remember if mimey did others on it as well...but yeah, when somebody says Photonic Officer - mimey comes to mind.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Good day all. :)

Yes indeed I do know about PO, and quite a bit at that.

As Bpharma said, PO speeds up the recharge of all BOFF abilities for 60 seconds, and when the power runs out, they are reset to normal timers again.

A2B is a flat (presuming you use 3 purple Technicians) 30% instant reduction of all BOFF powers currently on CD. That reduction goes off of base CD, not current CD.

The formula for PO is:

Base cooldown divided by 1.XX = New cooldown, where 'XX' is the percentage given by PO

Or for an example, say you are using PO 2 with a Tac team:

30/1.32 = 22.72 (repeating) seconds left on CD. Or it roughly shaves off 8.28 seconds.

Now, do note that while PO and A2B do stack, you can hit global CDs with them. Like Tac Team has a 15 second global that you cannot get around.

A2B, I don't remember the exact formula for. If it's the same as PO, or if it is different.

Anyways, they do stack, to answer your question. Use PO first before A2B, because PO is a longer-lasting ability, while A2B should be used for 'spike' reductions.

For more information, follow the link that VD put, or click on the picture in my signature to lead you to it.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • igorvalentineigorvalentine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the link!

Great job, Mimey on breaking down PO.

A2B is king but unless you have a cool sci schip, PO seems to have it's place for heavy science.
  • bpharmabpharma Member Posts: 2,022
    edited February 2014
    Depends, if you use a single A2B on a science ship it only tanks your aux for 10s +recharge time (so usually about 15-20s) and in return you get 30% off those long science ability cooldowns as well as all your others (RSP, DEM, Aceton beam and APO can be put on same ability CD with just 1 a2b).

With proper planning it can be effective, also carrying an aux battery and using it if needed doesn't carry the same drawback as with double aux to battery.

It is through repetition that we learn our weakness.
    A master with a stone is better than a novice with a sword.

Has damage got out of control?
    This is the last thing I will post.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Something else to mention is that without DOFFs for PO, you will have to double up on the ability to reach it's maximum uptime of 50%. So you would have to run 2 copies of the ability. Using DOFFs though can let you keep it to just one copy without any other factors adding in.

Do note however, that like using A2B with DOFFs, PO reduces it's own CD. And PO can reduce the CD of A2B, and vice versa.

As an example, PO 3 (cmdr sci level power) will almost reduce itself to global CD without any other DOFFs, abilities, or bonuses running. PO 2 or 1 will need one or more DOFFs to achieve the same thing, or using A2B (which still needs DOFFs anyways).

Again, more details of course in the thread, which I'm sure you've read.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.