test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Can I create foundry missions based on cannon Dominion War events?

borg9870borg9870 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Am I allowed to create missions in which the player takes part in the major events of the dominion war such as Operation Return and the Siege of AR-558? Obviously I am not allowed to include DS9 cast or the USS Defiant (correct me if im wrong) and the story would have to be changed to accommodate this.
Post edited by borg9870 on

Comments

• Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You can't use the likeness of any actor from the shows...

With the exception of that.. the era,ship and explosions you'd be fine on.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    thay8472 wrote: »
    You can't use the likeness of any actor from the shows...

With the exception of that.. the era,ship and explosions you'd be fine on.

So, I can use the USS Defiant and DS9 as long as I don't include Sisko, Kira, Dukat ect... (can I have other characters mention them and events they participated in)? That'll make it a whole lot easier.

I might have to create my own version of AR-558 because that would be really difficult to do without the ds9 crew.
  • Options
    kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=271084

You have conversations with Sisko if you use the Defiant ship as the image for the actor. It's harder to pull off a ground meeting with him, unless he's turned into a epohh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    borg9870 wrote: »
    Am I allowed to create missions in which the player takes part in the major events of the dominion war such as Operation Return and the Siege of AR-558? Obviously I am not allowed to include DS9 cast or the USS Defiant (correct me if im wrong) and the story would have to be changed to accommodate this.
    In general we're not allowed to use the likenesses of the actors because Cryptic has to get their agreement individually to cover their asses lawsuit-wise. (Stranger things have happened.) Ship names and likenesses are perfectly acceptable, though. For example, if you wanted to use the USS Ben Sisko's Mother****ing Pimp Hand in Operation Return, what I would do is insert a line that the Defiant's internal cameras have been knocked out by battle damage (and, IIRC, he was mostly using audio-only in that battle anyway).

And of course, the Enterprise-F crew are Cryptic's OCs so using them is fine.

This actually raises some potentially interesting mission concepts. What did you have in mind? Time travel? Holodeck simulation? Hero of Another Story type thing where the player is one of the other ships taking part in the battle?
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    In general we're not allowed to use the likenesses of the actors because Cryptic has to get their agreement individually to cover their asses lawsuit-wise. (Stranger things have happened.) Ship names and likenesses are perfectly acceptable, though. For example, if you wanted to use the USS Ben Sisko's Mother****ing Pimp Hand in Operation Return, what I would do is insert a line that the Defiant's internal cameras have been knocked out by battle damage (and, IIRC, he was mostly using audio-only in that battle anyway).

And of course, the Enterprise-F crew are Cryptic's OCs so using them is fine.

This actually raises some potentially interesting mission concepts. What did you have in mind? Time travel? Holodeck simulation? Hero of Another Story type thing where the player is one of the other ships taking part in the battle?

I'm rethinking what im doing, perhaps holodeck simulations would make more sense
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    Can always make up your own battles from the Dominion War, with original characters. It was a two-year war stretched across many light-years, there's an opportunity to tell a lot of stories there that weren't shown on camera. And that way you don't have to worry about the EULA issues with canon characters.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    Can always make up your own battles from the Dominion War, with original characters. It was a two-year war stretched across many light-years, there's an opportunity to tell a lot of stories there that weren't shown on camera. And that way you don't have to worry about the EULA issues with canon characters.
    Like the Seige of Betazed! :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    <off-topic>
    I can't remember if it was Chuck Sonnenburg or somebody else but I heard a wisecrack somewhere on the Internet that the Siege of Betazed lasted three days, which was how long it took Lwaxana Troi to annoy the Dominion into leaving.
    </off-topic>
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    dean962dean962 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2014

or the breen attack on Earth
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited February 2014
    Someone could do what I've been doing and make historical holodeck programs based around these battles that were mentioned, but never seen in the shows. I've done ones on the KDF side where you play the parts of Kang, Kor and Koloth in some of their famous battles. Since it is your player character playing the part of these other characters, you won't see their likenesses and there's no EULA issue. I'm working on one right now about the Earth-Romulan War. The only canon character you'll meet is Bryce Shumar, and he was never portrayed by an actor, just mentioned in a TNG episode.

If anyone wants to make something like this about the Dominion War, feel free to use the [HoloHistory] tag in the title :)
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable