test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How long to wait after teammate leaves so you don't get a ban?

uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
I just got a 1 hour ban for leaving an undermanned fail STF (KAGE). One teammate left after he ran through in the beginning aggroing a few groups and getting us killed a few times, eventually someone replaced him, it was still a fail group so someone else left. We tried for about 20 minutes with just four of us but we had an engineer laying mortars that were aggroing everything (even after we told him to stop and use mines) then he went in the room and deactivated shields while we were clearing the outer room, you know, typical fail group stuff. We've all seen it. It was clear we were not finishing.

I left. I figured after 30 minutes and a teammate already leaving I could leave without penalty and re-queue. Nope, banned.

So how do you leave a team without getting a ban, after other teammates have already left and it's obvious you aren't gonna finish? Are we really stuck until every other party member leaves? We have to suck it up and waste time? I swear the rate that team was going I think the 1 hour ban will be faster, but still, wtf?

EDIT: Something else odd. It's been 20 minutes since I left and I'm still seeing the team's chat. Very weird. I'm standing in ESD reading that team's chat (if you want to know, it seems they're finally ready to deactivate shields and two of them have never done KAGE before. Mind you it's elite not normal. It's only been almost an hour :))

tl;dr: Are we really stuck on a fail team until every other party member leaves?
Post edited by uryenserellont on

Comments

• f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My understanding is that the first two people to leave get the penalty, and if someone else joins, then the count resets, and even if you lost a couple of people already, the next two people to bail get the penalty.
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hmm ok that would make sense. It completely sucks if you wind up with a team like I had though (they weren't all bad, but two out of four will sink a team. One of them doesn't even have a remodulator; yeah I'm still seeing their team chat which is a weird bug: http://imageshack.com/a/img36/8800/00fl.jpg) It's actually faster to suck up the 1 hour ban in a case like this.

So you have to be lucky enough for two people to leave without being replaced, then you can leave yourself. If not, you're screwed. I don't like it.

I wonder if it's worth suggesting a time limit before you can leave without penalty, to prevent getting stuck on teams that have no hope and nobody willing to be the first to leave. Over an hour later the one experienced guy decided to leave too: http://imageshack.com/a/img703/5068/xrfs.jpg. We shouldn't get hit with a 1 hour ban. I'm sure he's getting stuck with it too. It sucks.

(I'm showing screenshots both to show this weird bug where I see chat after leaving a team, and to show how there should be a way to leave without penalty if you get stuck with a team that truly has no chance of finishing an elite STF)
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My understanding is that the first two people to leave get the penalty, and if someone else joins, then the count resets, and even if you lost a couple of people already, the next two people to bail get the penalty.

I was in a game where I was the last to leave of the five players and I still got a ban.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• init0init0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wow, looks like STO is (still) fighting with really new cutting-edge problems in video gaming that no other MMO ever faced or solved decently before. Oh wait, I got the decade wrong. ;)
  • berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I was in a game where I was the last to leave of the five players and I still got a ban.
    This.

Of course, it has been a while since I've needed to leave a STF, did they make his adjustment recently?

Semi-recently?
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
    edited February 2014

Seriously? The only one left on your team and you still got a ban? So we really are stuck no matter what.

I would say it's no big deal and we can just log on another character for the hour but when you've already done those STFs with your other characters and it's time for your final character you're out of luck. I logged off for the night after this and missed out on at least 2880 because I wanted to queue for another fast STF when KAGE was done. KAGE for ground and The Conduit for space should be fairly fast runs and they're by far the easiest to run.

I would post a suggestion to change how bans are given but I don't see them doing anything about it.
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally have yet to receive a ban from leaving STF's, after 20-30mins in has expired from the start of the mission.

People who claim they receive one is to me either fibbing, or wasn't actually in the mission long enough.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I personally have yet to receive a ban from leaving STF's, after 20-30mins in has expired from the start of the mission.

People who claim they receive one is to me either fibbing, or wasn't actually in the mission long enough.

You are right, I wasn't in the mission 20-30 mins, but when I was the only one left and was obviously not able to finish...

I wasn't speaking to a time limit but to the statement that only the 1st couple players get banned.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited February 2014
    This happened to me in Conduit elite and in Hive normal. I was the last one left in Hive (tried it for the first time that time -- after reading the walkthrough) and got the ban. I sat for about 15 minutes listening to the Borg queen's mockery but when nothing happened I warped out. People left because of all the one shot kills at spawn I assume. I was also the last in Conduit (two of us tried valiantly to finish the mission ourselves but were underpowered) and didn't get the ban because I waited a long time to see what would happen. Nothing happened so I flew out as far as I could away and then got the "there's nothing on sensors" notice so I warped out: no ban.

It's pretty surprisng that people would leave Conduit because of a lost optional. It's not like it takes much time to finish it with a full group.
    edited February 2014

I was in for longer than 30 minutes and after two teammates had left, granted one at a time with the first one being replaced by someone new and the second leaving not long after that replacement arrived. At least 20 minutes were spent in a 4 man team.

It's not a time issue. I wish it was. I wish after 30 minutes you could safely leave a STF. I left some time between 30 and 45 minutes - by then you know if the run will succeed or not, I mean if it's been 30 minutes and your team hasn't made much progress you should be free to safely leave, and if your team has made good progress why would you leave before finishing right?
  • krayuskorianiskrayuskorianis Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    When I do an STF, I'm in in until the end. However, if people let Kang die, then it's game over man.

However, I've never had a 1 hour inability to go back into an STF when the bonus objective is failed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    i3-2100 3.10GHz
    8GB Kingston HyperX Fury Blue 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM CL9
    ASUS DirectCU II GTX 660 OC 2GB GDDR5
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Wait 15 minutes from the instant you zone in, then leave. You wont get a ban even if you leave first.
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Cure Space: the first part where your taking out the cubes has a kind of timer in that if you fail to protect the I.K.S. Kang and its destroyed the game finishes but after the I.K.S. Kang has warped out, an assimilated Klingon Carrier will warp in there is no time limit on this part, the game will not finish till the carrier is destroyed.

Khitomer Space: there is a kind of timer as if 10 the probes get away its game over but when the assimilated Scimitar appears there is no time limit, the game will only end when it is destroyed.

just a side note, I was doing Khitomer Space and 3 of the 5 bugged out just after the assimilated Scimitar made an appearance, me and the other guy finished the game but it took another hour from that point to do it, I would never have finished it on my own, right up to the last I tried to leave but every time I was reminded by the game that I would incur the ban.

also there was a bug in the game a while back where you would get spawned into a completed map on some stf`s as far as the system was concerned you still had to complete your objectives but the system was devoid of life you could have stayed there all week and still got the ban when you left.

need I go on?

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Cure Space: the first part where your taking out the cubes has a kind of timer in that if you fail to protect the I.K.S. Kang and its destroyed the game finishes but after the I.K.S. Kang has warped out, an assimilated Klingon Carrier will warp in there is no time limit on this part, the game will not finish till the carrier is destroyed.

Khitomer Space: there is a kind of timer as if 10 the probes get away its game over but when the assimilated Scimitar appears there is no time limit, the game will only end when it is destroyed.

just a side note, I was doing Khitomer Space and 3 of the 5 bugged out just after the assimilated Scimitar made an appearance, me and the other guy finished the game but it took another hour from that point to do it, I would never have finished it on my own, right up to the last I tried to leave but every time I was reminded by the game that I would incur the ban.

also there was a bug in the game a while back where you would get spawned into a completed map on some stf`s as far as the system was concerned you still had to complete your objectives but the system was devoid of life you could have stayed there all week and still got the ban when you left.

need I go on?

Besides the occasional bug, or a complete failure I have still never received an automated ban when I feel it is going to be a flop and leave after being in mission for 20min or more.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

edited February 2014
    Besides the occasional bug, or a complete failure I have still never received an automated ban when I feel it is going to be a flop and leave after being in mission for 20min or more.

Then what's going on? Why is it so seemingly random?