test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Cryptic, is there ANY future for CRAFTING ?

preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
Crafting

As Star Trek Online started 4 Years ago, IT was there.
never perfect, of course

It gave us all a opportunity to gain Equipment,
= just for Data Samples and specific Item, later that changed in to "Schematics"

Many of us saw the opportunities, like "AEGIS SET"

And we could not wait, what would be the next big crafting item ?

There was the "Delta Flyer" of course, i have to mention that

BUT since then you just added the
--> "Common Unreplicateable Materials" = 10 Dilithium
--> "Uncommen Unreplicateable Materials" = 1000 Dilithium

And added the "Dilithium Store"

THIS killed Crafting once and for all

The Dilithium Store is a great thing, don?t get me wrong,
but why should any one spend hours of grinding Data Samples
even gathering and spending Dilithium for this "un-replicateable Materials"

When have to you could just buy the same stuff from the Dilithium Store.

But that is the Past

We need another Crafting Window
other Items

Ideas are welcome

here are my Ideas

Reduce the cost of "Uncommen Unreplicateable Materials" at least by half
or place them somewhere so we can search it, or a daily crafting mission
to get some

- Give us Mark XII Purple Stuff to craft
- add Warpcores / Singularity Cores

- Add in craftable "Ship Devices" and "Ground Devices"
(take the one that are already exist)

- obviously PLEASE upgrade the AEGIS set to Mk XII standard (maybe a little bit extra ^_^ )

- Craftable Exocomp duty Officer // craftable Android Bridge Off. & Duty Off.

- "Craftable Only" Weapon Modifier
==> like the [RCH] = recharge one from the Mission " Forging Bonds"

- Idea - let us use the Crafting system to Change modifiers on items

- Let us use the Crafting system to Design our own Deflector / Armor

No offense! But most of your Set deflectors are a mess

- Maybe give us a craftable Ship, i think something like the Tuffly Freigther
with a crafting Console on it, [You could use some ships that are already exist and make them playable]

idea .. interior map ... let us crafting a ship map for our ships
you know when you enter the turbo lift a new window pops up
that says Cargo bay / crafting area

Okay, the Community shall speak,

what do you think about crafting ?
do you want a revamp ?
Or is it TRIBBLE from the past we no longer need because we have the Reputation system.
Post edited by preiko on

Comments

• kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Of course we need and want a revamp, this is ridiculous that you get drops better than what you craft.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The new EP, Stephen D'Angelo mentions crafting revamps (almost other things) in one of the recent podcasts with Priority One http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1008181
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • preikopreiko Member Posts: 316 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I really would like to have this "Rechargable Batteries"

we know them from the Missions:

"Enterprise B" [Temporal Ambassador]
    "Obelisk" [Sphere of Influence]
    "Dyson" [Step between Stars]
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If you listen to the Geko podcast you will see that Crafting is currently being worked on. I believe Borticus is the one doing it.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    If they would do a revamp of the crafting/exchange systems that made it worthwhile and fun, it could mean a big boost for the game I think.

I haven't bothered do any crafting myself, cause I once heard the rumor of a revamp and I'm still waiting. :)
    signwidrona.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014
    The new EP, Stephen D'Angelo mentions crafting revamps (almost other things) in one of the recent podcasts with Priority One http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1008181

You beat me to it. It's being revamped. The OP needs to cool down and wait for it.
  • ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    preiko wrote: »
    I really would like to have this "Rechargable Batteries"

You still might be able to find rechargable shield batteries on the exchange. I still have a few that I'm keeping for any future characters.
  • alfamegaalfamega Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    crafting need a serious rethinking. both what can be build and how acquire the materials.
    receipts should be top notch. XII stuff with customization is a "must have". no discussion about it. every modern games allow to customize every possible attribute.

also cost table is outrageous. for example aegis set meant to be "starter friendly" set and for leveling. yet that high dilithium cost make the price of several millions, which for a player that started to play a week ago is just unaffordable. by the time he can buy aegis most probably he already hit level 50 and farmed enough marks and reputation to buy any X set from rep system.

then the ways to acquire materials are totally unproductive. mission replay means up to half an hour for dozen samples. doffing system 5-10 a day per possible assignment and also about an hour to fly around the universe to seek them. both completely unacceptable in therms of time/reward.

the best way to do it is like its done in guildwars2. you get up to 10 materials per node, there are dozens nodes per map. moreover you actually do not need to farm the nodes at all, you can just disassemble any drops you get back in to materials it consist of. disassembling isn't for free, but those special tools are really very cheap to get. in star trek we have the replicator, just make another mode for it, instead of returning EC you pay small amount and get the samples.

in my opinion it should work that way:
    ordinary samples and traces should be available from from replicator disassembling.
    (there are several top 10 games where its standard since several years)
    more nodes per map, better earnings per node, better results per time investment.
    (c'mon, in wow i get by back pack full in an hour or so)
    doff system gets own window/tab special for material gathering where you can specify exactly what do you want to get.
    (kotor as the best known example)
    consumable stuff exclusively build via crafting, aka "buff food", with additional effects like plasma burn strength, not limited to the ground devices only like now. unlimited use stuff like everlasting hypos/batteries/components and team buffing as most expensive one.
    (pretty much standard for every game. really nothing annoys more then hypos/batteries/components running out int the middle of a mission. the heck make them cost per use just as the already existing one would cost, but make them everlasting.)
    craft-able anything up to XII grade.
    (also a standard of several games)
    any white/green use only normal samples, just different amount of them.
    blue use in additional small amount of particle traces.
    purple use dilithum or faction marks.
    fleet grade stuff use fleet marks/dilithium and can only be build on respective fleet base engineering consoles and bound to character. most important, price should cheaper then premade one, otherwise no one will even touch it.
    i would go even further and allow fleet grade stuff be sold to other fleet members for fleet credits/dilithium.
    most stuff with exception of fleet grade stuff should be craftable anywhere via crafting window.
    (also a standard of several games, great "quality of life" improvement)

main goals are:
    full player driven economy.
    producing stuff up to purple grade for selling.
    everlasting market for buffing consumables.
    cheaper and customizable fleet grade assets and everlasting consumables bound on pickup as a reward to leveling the crafting, like profession bonus.

btw. it would also be a big help to evolve market system to allow specific flag driven browsing. something like when you go to category "ship weapons" you get additional dropdown where you can select a flag "single beam" and "disruptor" and "ctrh" and get only those listed after hitting the "search". this will also greatly reduce database load since unwanted queries will be reduced to nearly zero.
    same for bridge officer where you can select race, traits and wanted skills. really, nothing annoys more then spending hours to find a BO3 boff.
  • gibbonigibboni Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I do wish they would bring the delta flyer back to crafting so I can have something better than a runabout.
  • gogereavergogereaver Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    braking crafting was a intentional move to make you farm dil or buy z-store items. otherwise everyone would just craft agies and purple xi and call it good. and its still a problem due to the fact how do you make crafting worth a dam wile not blowing up the games business model.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Crafting needs so much help it makes me sad.

Too many materials, they all look the same, then on top of that you need schematics, still not sure where those are from, or how I turn particle traces and artifacts into hypos and guns instead of using construction materials, or why I go to a gigantic archive to do it instead of some kind of fabrication-oriented replimat, and then once I've done it for 6 months and become a master, I could've just got better stuff from... well, anywhere else.

Also, give aegis a warp core. A nice speed boosting one. Moar evasion.
  • a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    They've been 'promising' a new crafting system since F2P. So I'll leave it to you to decide whether or not crafting will ever be revamped.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • blitzy4blitzy4 Member Posts: 839 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I still think Aegis should be usable at level 40, or more likely at captain.
    jKixCmJ.jpg
    "..and like children playing after sunset, we were surrounded by darkness." -Ruri Hoshino

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    blitzy4 wrote: »
    I still think Aegis should be usable at level 40, or more likely at captain.
    Aegis is currently the equivalent of a Mk10 AFAIK... so yeah...

We need a better one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • maiewskimaiewski Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'd be happy if I could make green or blue Mk X or XI gear and not have it cost me dil. That alone would be worth it...
    DarthGM, GM Phil, Admiral Kavalon, et al

Currently cruising the Pi Canis Sector Block...
  • somebobsomebob Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you listen to the Geko podcast you will see that Crafting is currently being worked on. I believe Borticus is the one doing it.

Keep in mind that when Cryptic 'revamped' crafting for Champions Online they removed it entirely.

Yes, seriously. Poof! All gone. Nothing to craft at all anymore period.

So I wouldn't be wishing too hard for that revamp.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Crafting does need a revamp, and I think it should work similarl to how it works in other MMOs where everyone chooses a crafting skill and each skill has valuable gear or consumables people want to buy. In most MMOs it will be tailoring, alchemy, blacksmithing etc. I STO maybe it could be consumables, weapons, shields, engines, warp cores/singularities, consoles etc. as their own skills and choosing one excludes the others (they don't all have to be their own skills, it's just an example. Maybe weapons and shields could be a skill, engines and cores another skill etc.)

It would need a entire overhaul to do though, and the focus of the game would probably shift from reputation grinds and lockboxes to crafted equipment, and there would probably be a significant dilithium and lobi investment involved so maybe I actually don't want it revamped this way :)
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only thing I am dreading is if they make it a bastardized system like Neverwinter's "crafting".

Personally, I'd love to see it where you can craft white quality items for a nominal cost of common materials. Then, upgrade that white item with a Green Modifier ([ACC], [DMG], etc.) with uncommon materials and a small amount of dilithium.

Then, you can upgrade that green item with a trade-off Blue Modifier(increase firing arc by 15 degrees, but deals less damage - or more damage for less arc, etc.) with rare materials and a moderate amount of dilithium. This would greatly allow players to customize their equipment and bring in new tactical options without heavily imbalancing things with more power creep.

Lastly, you could upgrade a blue item with a proc-based Purple Modifier(chance for a shield to 'harden'/increase resistances on hit, the [BORG] proc for weapons, etc.) by using a lot of dilithium and exotic resources(BNPs, Cyber Implants, Fleet Buff Provisions, special alien-themed lockbox modules, etc.).

Unfortunately, It probably wouldn't be compatible with existing items and something like that would undoubtedly be a nightmare for the database.
  • mercuriciodidemercuriciodide Member Posts: 342
    edited February 2014
    craftable doffs and boffs

-- and no, craftable doffs would not make them over-powered. Limitations can easily be placed on what can be crafted.
  • annahannah Member Posts: 201 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Aegis is currently the equivalent of a Mk10 AFAIK... so yeah...

We need a better one.

They changed it?
    I used Aegis set from lvl 10 to 50 when i leveled my rommie.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    annah wrote: »
    They changed it?
    I used Aegis set from lvl 10 to 50 when i leveled my rommie.
    AFAIK items with a oo level only actually go up to the equivalent of Mk10. Including Aegis.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg