test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Need some Vid-Card Suggestions

xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Ten Forward
I've decided it's time to retire my tired ol' graphics card. (Desktop, GTX 260) I like seeing STO in all of it's "bloom"ing glory, but there are just too many instances that make this thing cry and force me to drastically reduce the video settings. As you may have guessed, it's been a while since I've shopped for a VidCard.

STO is pretty much all I play at the moment, so what I'm looking for is pretty specific. Nvidia, not budget busting (200 USD range would be nice), and can maintain at least 30 FPS for any and every bit of content STO has with maxed settings at a resolution of 1600x900.

Really though, just which Nvidia card you are using which gets you through say, SBD without having to pick your FPS up off of the floor. :D

I'm fairly sure the rest of the system can handle it's part, but if you are curious:

RAM: 6GB DDR2 800
CPU: Phenom II 940 X4 @ 3.4Ghz
PCI-E: Only 2.0 (x16) :( Don't really think that's a huge issue though.
A Corsair TX750 providing the power.

I appreciate your thoughts.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    darkhaze666darkhaze666 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Ive recently picked up a Powercolor "devil" r9 270x for $220 and able to pull smooth frames on highest settings @ 1920 x 1080. As for Nvidia, i used to run a 560Ti. little lowered on the quality settings but it still ran decent. I see some GTX 660's on newegg for around $180, not sure the specs but it should run pretty good with all the pretties on

Amd FX-6100
    8GB ddr3 1333
    650W P.S.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    edited February 2014
    I run a GTX 650ti with 1gb ram and I can rock almost anything on max settings w/o issue. That said its also no where near top end as a card
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    got a hd 7900 series card at 4gb, i could easily buy another one and hook it up for double the graphics power, enough to burst through anything. especially with current setup i got.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    idronaidrona Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My advice would be (depending on your economy) to invest in a card that would last you awhile, and that you could then move over to a newer motherboard.

For GPU I'd definitely recommend Nvidia, and brand.. well that's up to you, but here is a link to start you off:

http://www.zotac.com/en/products/graphics-cards/geforce-700-series/gtx-780/product/gtx-780/category/geforce-700-series/main-category/graphics-cards.html

Hope that helps, I need a new one myself soon and am looking at these in the link right now.
    signwidrona.png
  • Options
    xapocalypseponyxxapocalypseponyx Member Posts: 577 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I run a GTX 650ti with 1gb ram and I can rock almost anything on max settings w/o issue. That said its also no where near top end as a card

As long as it rocks STO, it will fill my needs. Checked out the 650 TI on Newegg, definitely fits the budget. The 660's were not bad either. So, I know what range to look at now.

Thanks. :)
    idrona wrote: »
    My advice would be (depending on your economy) to invest in a card that would last you awhile

While I understand what you are saying, the 780s are a bit more than I am looking to invest just now. :)
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ive never used nvidia cards before because they are so expensive. always the radeon side of things. if im to go after an nvidia card its one that would last, yes. so perhaps a 780 at 460 pounds or a double 760, some 760's are 4gb a card, so i could link them up.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.