test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Anyone else think having over 2500 fleets in STO is a bit much???

xaosmg123xaosmg123 Member Posts: 70 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Earth Spacedock
Fleet leaders - especially those with small fleets should try and recruit the tiny fleets into their ranks.

By "tiny fleets" I mean the hundreds upon hundreds of fleets with less than 10 people and not those fleets that were just created. Ive spoken to dozens of fleet owners who have less than 10 or less than 5 members and have been around for years.

The reason I say this is because while my own fleet has no issues recruting, a lot of smaller fleets are going to have huge problems recruiting - especially from the forums. If you do to ESD section there are THOUSANDS of posts from fleets, 99% of which are giving no information whatsoever and its very overwhelming. I know because I was once looking for a fleet and as nice as some people are, I dont wanna join a fleet that has had 3 people in it for over three years, which they keep open because they like their weirdo fleet name lol. I dont get it.

Anyways, if any tiny or small fleets with less than 20 members want to coordinate a merge - contact me online Xalon@xaosmg

More importantly, talk to eachother so that ten 2-person fleets can become a twenty person fleet.

I feel bad for new players coming online and looking for a fleet and then getting responses from over 2000 people lol Just crazy.

S!
Post edited by xaosmg123 on

Comments

• Options
    natorepublicnatorepublic Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I am a fleet captain in Fed Alliance (11 fleets, 3000ish members). I feel bad for people in small fleets, and we try to help them out where we can. For many newer players they get pulled into a small fleet early on and that fleet dies in one way or another. They are typically left hanging in the wind.
  • Options
    suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2014
  • Options
    champion1701champion1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I find there to be no problem with there being over 16000 fleets in game, there are many different kind of players, and some do not want to be in a large fleet. I have been a leader and a member of the largest fleets and some tiny fleets. They all have their pro's and con's. I have personally found that a medium size fleet is just right. When you get too big, the fun goes away.

You should worry about your own fleet, and stay out of other people business. Just sayin'
    =/\= Commodore Champion1701 =/\=

=/\=USS Lindsey Stirling =/\= NCC-116747 =/\=

=/\= Liberty Task Force =/\= Diplomatic Advisor =/\=
  • Options
    suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    You must check this link out the numbers are amazing http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1089211
  • Options
    woodcat5woodcat5 Member Posts: 40 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    First, the latest infographics says: 21500 fleets and 3.2 millions of captains in command (Q: that means players or characters? Players is best).

As @Champion1701 says they are many types of fleets.

From the above number you have to filter the "Alliance" fleets, the solo fleets (means 1 to 5 players only), the single ones, and the big fleets (1 single fleet group with many subfleets, not alliance or fusioned with others).

Making some numbers: 21500 fleets * 500 characters = 10.750.000 millions of characters, if we are 3.2 millions players with 5 characters = 16 millions characters. That means there are out there a lot of characters with no-fleet.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    champion1701champion1701 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I agree, there are a ton of characters out there without a fleet. I know people with no interest in the fleet side of the game. It is their choice.
    =/\= Commodore Champion1701 =/\=

=/\=USS Lindsey Stirling =/\= NCC-116747 =/\=

=/\= Liberty Task Force =/\= Diplomatic Advisor =/\=
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    You are right it was 21,500 fleets in service.

I do think that 3.2 mil. "captains in command" just means characters at the moment. There is no way that STO could have went from 300-400k players to 3.2 mil in less than a year. I wish it was so - but its not likely.

I created this thread because I do believe it is incredibly overwhelming for a new player to find themselves a fleet in STO with THAT MANY fleets existing. Just crazzzzy. Especially with thousands of them being fleets with just 1-4 players, many of which only created the fleet for extra bank space and to have their own fleet name and emblem.

Since less than .01% of players visit the forums, I really cant expect posts from a real cross-section of the games playerbase as most forum goers are part of the "vocal minority" fake majority.

I would like to see the devs implement a (you have 30 days from creation of fleet to get and hold at least 10 members or your fleet will be cancelled) rule, or something similiar. I do think that a lot of these TINY fleets might share a lot of the same goals and could be combined in time. But like all mmorpgs, devs allow players to do what they want.

Hell, right now the devs do NOTHING about the few psychotic players that stalk female gamers and harass others - so how could we expect them to enforce any new rules or guidelines. They cant even keep a Naming policy lol. Any else sick of grouping with "coolguy1271" or "imahotgirl299" ? lol.

Anyways, thanks for the responses. I'll be closing this thread. I just had a lot of friends get frustrated about how many pointless fleets there were ingame and when i thought i read 2,500 i was shocked. But 21,500 fleets and about 400k players? Thats just ridiculous. Now, if STO had 10million players I could see 21.5mil making sense.

Anyways, have a great one and enjoy this spectacular mmorpg. I know I know, not many realize that the RPG in mmorpg matters anymore - but my fleet and many other players and fleets are here to play STO the mmorpg game and not STO the online multiplayer game. Big diff. ;ol
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well I dont understand what your thoughts are tbh we have a 6-man-fleet, we have all holdings on full T3, spire soon too. We have T4+ in normal SB progresson. Just because we dont have a lot of members doesnt mean anything at all.

For example our spire is further ahead by a week compared to my kdf 200+ ppl fleet. So just keep your fleet comments to yourself.
  • Options
    edited February 2014
    No need to be CRANKY lil guy.

This is a pointless topic and obviously my opinion is tweaking the naysayers and bitter angry people. Most of you have responded with respect, regardless of our difference n opinions.

CLOSING THREAD