test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fleet Long Range Science Vessel ABLATIVE HELP!!!

andykirkhamandykirkham Member Posts: 18 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Federation Discussion
When running the Fleet Long Range Science Vessel (without the ablative generator console) and equipping the omega advanced Borg technology set, the "ablative armour look" appears on the ship in battle sometimes then disappears again. Why does this happen/what triggers it to occur? And is there any way of making it permanent so it doesn't revert back to the normal looks?

Thanks XD
Post edited by andykirkham on

Comments

• Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    most definately an effect bug, probably triggered by the sets heal proc.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    underdose35underdose35 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This is specifically caused by the omega adapted 3-piece set power (i.e. having the kinetic cutting beam, adapted console and omega plasma torpedo all equipped at once). The 3-piece power 'reactive deflection', when it procs, vastly reduces the damage your ship takes for 2 seconds. Whether a bug or intended, when this procs on the intrepid it also plays the ablative armour animation, regardless of whether or not you have the ablative console equipped. The animation also, I think, lasts for the 30 seconds it should last, rather than the 2 seconds reactive deflection lasts. So even though you still have the look of ablative armour, it doesn't have any effect after 2 seconds.
    I guess the glitch kind of makes sense, as they both do very similar things.

Anyway, you can check this for yourself by looking out for the power symbol when it activates (though you have to be quick - 2 seconds!), or removing only one piece of the set and seeing it won't happen. As far as I know, there's no way to make this a permanent look.
    In the mean time, enjoy it! It's quite a unique and fun little glitch, and quite characterful too :D
  • Options
    mezirathmezirath Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

This is quite the intereting visual bug indeed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has been entered in our database.
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hmm, if that thing doesn't do anything harmfull, i'd even say this is a feature!
    would love to see this on my ship too...
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    x3of9x3of9 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    mezirath wrote: »
    Hello,

This is quite the intereting visual bug indeed. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, it has been entered in our database.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This is one of the greatest Easter Eggs in the game. :eek:

I never get to see my Intrepid's armor because the console's power is a waste of a slot, but this egg lets me see it all the time in combat. Also, it lets me know that this bonus is actually doing something.

Removing this feature will make me very sad. :(
    U.S.S. Marathon - NX-92781
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Changing it to a passive console that triggers briefly under certain conditions may make it actually worth a slot.
  • Options
    joshglassjoshglass Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    x3of9 wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

This is one of the greatest Easter Eggs in the game. :eek:

I never get to see my Intrepid's armor because the console's power is a waste of a slot, but this egg lets me see it all the time in combat. Also, it lets me know that this bonus is actually doing something.

Removing this feature will make me very sad. :(

I cannot count the number of times that console has saved my butt from dying! I also love the animation. I would prefer it be a toggle though instead of a few seconds effect.
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Hello,

i don't know whether to be saddened more by the fact that they are removing a cool Easter Egg, Graphical Glitch ...

Or by the fact that "mezirath" uses the word 'database' when referring to a list of bugs ... You mean that it requires an actual "Database" to catalog all the bugs in STO???
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    kevinp011367kevinp011367 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bendalek wrote: »
    i don't know whether to be saddened more by the fact that they are removing a cool Easter Egg, Graphical Glitch ...

Or by the fact that "mezirath" uses the word 'database' when referring to a list of bugs ... You mean that it requires an actual "Database" to catalog all the bugs in STO???

Nah these use sticky notes and typing paper to track all development and code corrections including dev notes, etc. Good Lord.
  • Options
    dauntless89dauntless89 Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited February 2014

Hello, I think this was known visual easter egg since a lot of time because...it was posted in the Wikipedia, Performance - that if you run 3 set you get the animation (not the effect of the console).

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Long_Range_Science_Vessel_Retrofit
    "With its high science layout, the Fleet Intrepid can be one of the most effective tanking vessels in the game, especially if equipped with the Borg Three Piece Weapon, Console set which allows for it to deploy the Ablative Armour look and animation without having the ablative armour console. "

If it was cryptic intention to give voyager fans this short animation, that would be rly cool. But the only thing I've noticed is that the armor animation remains for ~10 sec instead of 2. If you are using both weapon set borg plus the real console - it may give false impression to the enemies in PVP that you re actually using it, which is cool for surprise ;)

hope it wont be removed (not that I am using it cuz i have the console :) )
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Nah these use sticky used napkins and toilet paper to track all development and code corrections including dev notes, etc. Good Lord.
    There, I fixed it for you ...
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png