test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Trained skills

mikells1988mikells1988 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
edited February 2014 in The Academy
Right.

So I'm having a bit of a derpy moment. I'm not really one of those people that knows everything about mmos I play and I typically trawl boards for advice on how to build my characters before deciding what'll fit me best.

That being said; I just noticed something that's TRIBBLE with my head and I'm wondering if I'm missing something or if it's a game derp.

I want to train my tac Boffs with Torp HY III, but am unable to do so. The ability on the STO wiki says that you need to train 9 ranks of Starship Projectile Weapons ... but the tooltip in game says you only need 6 ranks, which I have. And yet the ability doesn't show up in the list of abilities I can train my Boffs.

Similarly, I have 9 ranks trained in Starship Energy Weapons, and can't train Boffs in BA: FAW III or Cannon: Rapid Fire III when the tooltip for that also says 6 ranks.

THAT said, the tooltip for Starship Attack Patterns also says 6 ranks for AP Omega III, which is the only Commander level ability I seem to be able to train my Tac Boffs, and to be honest that's annoying me to the max since my Comm Tac Boff already has it
Post edited by mikells1988 on

Comments

• hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The Wiki is out of date, apparently, it is 6 levels, and has been for quite a while.

Anyway, where are you trying to train your boffs? Powers you can train from skills aren't in the normal training UI at spacedock. Instead, go to their equipment page, click Career Options, then click Train.
  • krrjakrrja Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Read the tool-tip again as it also states what captain type (Tactical, Engineering, Science) can train crew in those skills. For Torpedo High Yield III, you need to have six ranks of the skill and be a Tactical Captain. Same things for Engineering and Science captains as each has specific areas of expertise.

You can also find a suitable captain in game and have them train your crew in the relevant skill you require.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    An you can also browse the Exchange and find BoFF's who will already be trained in a lvl III option.

You can use either use them to train your existing BoFF's or replace your BoFF's ... It's more expensive but you can do it.
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    krrja wrote: »
    You can also find a suitable captain in game and have them train your crew in the relevant skill you require.

Yes, unless the Boff is unique in some way (AKA un-tradable), you can find some other player to train your Boffs w/ those skills. But note, you have to TRADE your Boff to someone to train them.

Make sure you're somewhat certain that the player won't just keep your guy and run off! Personally, I've not had any issue with that, but it is a possibility to be aware of. If you are in a fleet, I'd ask fleeties first.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • mikells1988mikells1988 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Oh herpa ****ing derpa. Thanks for the tip (Career Options) I never even thought to look there *slaps myself with a hardwood table*