test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shield tanking in the T'varo?

ironyogaironyoga Member Posts: 23 Arc User
edited February 2014 in Romulan Discussion
Just curious if anyone is trying a shield tanking build with the T'varo. I know it's a better hull tank setup but as a Sci cap I feel odd not shield tanking though we have good hull heals as well. I am curious if anyone has a good build like that. I am also making this a torp boat if that matters at all though I think it makes a small difference if any.
So you decided to attack some spelling error to don't have to deal with the contain and when you did you didn't have the brain to can answer it.
Post edited by ironyoga on

Comments

• ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Torpedo submarine should have shields off all the time (cloaked). Only time shields matter is if you get pulled out of cloak for some reason, then you should be running as fast as possible to get cloaked again.
  • cepholapoidcepholapoid Member Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would hate to see a ship like the t'varo be built into a tank because it has so many other

great roles it fills much more effectively. I have run everything from a PvP torpedo boat

to a T'scimi aux to bat beam boat.

If you're really set on shield tanking get the valdore console and make the uni a sci with TSS III and TSS I,

should shield tank very nicely
    cI5XEZr.jpg
  • ironyogaironyoga Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I would hate to see a ship like the t'varo be built into a tank because it has so many other

great roles it fills much more effectively. I have run everything from a PvP torpedo boat

to a T'scimi aux to bat beam boat.

If you're really set on shield tanking get the valdore console and make the uni a sci with TSS III and TSS I,

should shield tank very nicely

Well I am not exactly looking to turn it into a tank. I guess my wording was a bit off I just feel better having shields up all the time during my bombing runs. I am enjoying it so far even though I haven't the weapons I really want yet. Still working on acquiring all that. I do love the huge red ball of death. I have even already killed myself with it but damn is it impressive. One question though is the destabalized plasma torp dependant on weapons power at all?
    So you decided to attack some spelling error to don't have to deal with the contain and when you did you didn't have the brain to can answer it.
  • ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    nope, torps and mines do not use weapon power

(maybe if they have a point defense, like the bioneural, not sure, but the boom part doesnt)
    edited February 2014
    nope, torps and mines do not use weapon power

(maybe if they have a point defense, like the bioneural, not sure, but the boom part doesnt)

I didn't think it would but thought since it was a console ability it might. Though I could always carry batteries if I needed it.
  • autumnturningautumnturning Member Posts: 743 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ironyoga wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone is trying a shield tanking build with the T'varo.

I believe this is the definition of "You're Doing It Wrong" ...

What you just said makes as much sense as "dehydrated water" does.
  • thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    ironyoga wrote: »
    Just curious if anyone is trying a shield tanking build with the T'varo. I know it's a better hull tank setup but as a Sci cap I feel odd not shield tanking though we have good hull heals as well. I am curious if anyone has a good build like that. I am also making this a torp boat if that matters at all though I think it makes a small difference if any.

Well, why not just use ANY other Romulan ship, the kind that pop out of cloak and raise shields, instead of the one with the enhanced cloak?

Maybe you could pick the one with TWO levels of shields. No wait. Three. Three levels of shielding.

You have other choices better suited to this sort of thing.
  • stofskstofsk Member Posts: 1,744 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Yeah granted that the T'varo has an enhanced battlecloak and why wouldn't you use it if you've got it but

BUT

Just because we can do a thing does not follow that we MUST do that thing

;)
    edited February 2014
    I believe this is the definition of "You're Doing It Wrong" ...

What you just said makes as much sense as "dehydrated water" does.

Look I get that it is better to hull tank in this thing but I am looking to try something different. I was wondering if anyone had done anything like it and what they experienced. If all you can bring to the table is asinine commentary then just don't post. Again I know it's not the norm and that is totally fine with me. There are a ton of ways to do this game and don't care if it is the "best" way.

thissler wrote: »
    Well, why not just use ANY other Romulan ship, the kind that pop out of cloak and raise shields, instead of the one with the enhanced cloak?

Maybe you could pick the one with TWO levels of shields. No wait. Three. Three levels of shielding.

You have other choices better suited to this sort of thing.

Maybe because I have the T'varo and not any other ship? I like the setup it has for my torp runs and like I stated above just trying something different.

stofsk wrote: »
    Yeah granted that the T'varo has an enhanced battlecloak and why wouldn't you use it if you've got it but

BUT

Just because we can do a thing does not follow that we MUST do that thing

;)

Yeah and sometimes it means people try it anyway. What is the harm except some of my time wasted.

I get that the T'varo is easier to hull heal. I am trying to do something a little different here guys and maybe it wont work but I am curious to see anyone that has tried and has any ideas on what they liked/didn't like.

Try to keep it constructive to the spirit of my original post.
  • xsilvermanxxsilvermanx Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry to say that but there is no such thing as "constructive criticism" on your idea, because:

1. You want a torpedo-build with the T'Varo
    2. Enhanced Battle Cloak
    3. Shield Tanking

Now the 1. alone is great, got this myself. Especially if flown together with 2. in an effective way this is devastating both PvE and PvP. However 3. doesn't fit into that pattern at all because using 2. disables your shields. So it's either Shield Tanking (to which I honestly wouldn't use the T'Varo cause, well, it's not that robust and stuff) or Enhanced Battle Cloak, taking away a unique feature of the T'Varo. So if I were you I'd just strip off the complete Shield tanking-part, get a build suited to bombing alone (NO energy weapons at all because of EBC, also not using skill points to both energy weapons and shields gives you many points to use on hull healing and torp-damage) and maybe get the 2-pc-T'Varo-Set. Cause this will give you the ability "Singularity Stabilizer", which you can use out of combat (OOC, RP-insider lol), loading up your singularity level to either 3 or 4, at which you can use "Quantum Absorption". This shouldn't make you visible to your opponent but give you shields while cloaked (for 30 seconds yes). Flying an alpha, then enabling Quantum Absorption and pulling out a point-blank huge red ball of death should be kinda awesome. Not yet been able to try this myself but one could be able to survive that explosion because of the Quantum Absorption shields and extra-hull (still subject to my own testing).

So just for the record your problem once again: EBC conflicts with active shields, as every cloak does. Only pro to EBC is, you can still shoot those torps ;)
    Greetings
    Silverman
  • panda244panda244 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Don't have the T'varo myself so I don't know the BOFF layout but in my Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser (Yeah yeah I know, really long name) I run HE 3 and Aux to Structual 2, those are my only hull heals and it keeps the beafy 67k hull at 67k all the time. In a T'varo I would try to grab both of these as the hull is alot smaller and you'll prolly heal 2-4k with Aux to Structual depending on skill output and 11-22k with HE. :D

In a tiny ship like the T'varo though I wouldn't even think about shield tanking, you simply don't have enough shields to throw around like my TSABC, ^_^, However if you do try it then it is essential to get the DOFF that gives you a 50% chance for a shield heal after using brace for impact and if your hull tanking there is a DOFF that has a chance to add heal over time to Aux to Structual.

Hope I helped! :P

EDIT: Don't forgot if your hull tanking the borg 2pc set is a requirement!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2014
    I'm sorry to say that but there is no such thing as "constructive criticism" on your idea, because:

So just for the record your problem once again: EBC conflicts with active shields, as every cloak does. Only pro to EBC is, you can still shoot those torps ;)
    Greetings
    Silverman

Hey I get how it works just saying I'd like some ideas and to see if anyone has done anything like it.

Trust me I get how the EBC works and yes I know this thing wasn't exactly meant to drop cloak and attack but I do from time to time and honestly while running solo it's just about the only way the NPCs get a chance to do anything to me. I still need to heal sometimes and there are wtf moments where I keep getting tagged even though I should be thoroughly recloaked. That is where my idea comes from.

I know it's a sweet torp boat because even running mostly top tier weapons from episodes I am pulling major damage with this guy. I had though to use cannons and the omni beam rear with the borg cutting laser and a turret but that also gimps the EBC. Just kind of spit balling with it here. So yeah ther can be constructive criticism like your post was even if it shot my idea down.

I do have the 2 piece set and let me say when you tag one ship or even a few with that man some pretty numbers pop up. Plus it is fun to see that huge ball float to it's target. I don't even have decent tac consoles and I can put out some nice numbers in this ship. I do have a good amount of dilithium built up and working on getting my rep up. I have been away for a long time so that is taking a bit but getting there. Anyway it was just an idea is all.
    edited February 2014
    panda244 wrote: »
    Don't have the T'varo myself so I don't know the BOFF layout but in my Tal Shiar Adapted Battle Cruiser (Yeah yeah I know, really long name) I run HE 3 and Aux to Structual 2, those are my only hull heals and it keeps the beafy 67k hull at 67k all the time. In a T'varo I would try to grab both of these as the hull is alot smaller and you'll prolly heal 2-4k with Aux to Structual depending on skill output and 11-22k with HE. :D

In a tiny ship like the T'varo though I wouldn't even think about shield tanking, you simply don't have enough shields to throw around like my TSABC, ^_^, However if you do try it then it is essential to get the DOFF that gives you a 50% chance for a shield heal after using brace for impact and if your hull tanking there is a DOFF that has a chance to add heal over time to Aux to Structual.

Hope I helped! :P

EDIT: Don't forgot if your hull tanking the borg 2pc set is a requirement!!!

So far I have been running aux to structural 2 and and maybe aux to engines can't remember that. I have to copies of HE2 and Polarize hull. They both work magic. The boff layout does not allow anything over a Lt Com Sci station so I have Grav Well in there and it works wonders for torp spread and the huge ball of death. I have been toying with my mines as well and grav well also helps keep them where I need them as I pass and set my mines.

I guess the biggest reason I was thinking of it is the new set that gives some shield heals and the sci console drops that add shield heals when you use an ability that heals a shield. It is only a % but then I should prolly save those for when I get my Dyson ship.