test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Free and Exclusive Khan Uniforms via Arc (Claiming method update in OP)

Comments

• monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think it's funny that some of you are all like "Pfft. I installed Arc, got my free threads, then uninstalled Arc". Why so funny? Because you are increasing their download numbers. Ya'all are making it look like more of us actually want Arc. Hehe.

Arc is spyware? Put your money where your mouth is and produce some *real* evidence. Otherwise shut the hell up about it. I'm getting sick of hearing the accusations about it being spyware. I think the NSA is more to worry about than Arc. You really think PWE wants to know you like watching videos of asian schoolgirls eating chocolate cake on the beach dressed up like Link from The Legend of Zelda?

And your personal info getting sold and/or passed around has been happening long before the internet was invented. How else do you think companies get your address so they can mail you car/life insurance and credit card offers? You never signed up for that, or even heard of some of those companies.

I don't notice any performance issues whether I have Arc running or not. The game seems to play the same.

Best thing you can do when it eventually becomes mandatory is to slap some grease onto it to make it less painful when it inserts into your hard drive. Because it's going to come. If you don't like it then just go play something else. Maybe get out of the basement and soak in some sun rays for once.
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How to find the uniforms can be confusing. I saw a few posts about them missing.

How to find them.

At the tailor, open up the modify or create. On the tab for HEAD, you will see in the upper right corner a drop down that defaults to uniform. Change that to off duty. Now it's still not easily found because on the Uniform tab, you will be able to pick your off duty, right? Not exactly there where you see the choice of Mercenary, etc. Nope. The drop down above that. Oh and you expect to see something like "Khan's Outfit" or something? Nah, that would too easy. Look for the one that says bare chest.

CornFlakes just telling people "It's in off duty" was a lazy way to tell people "figure it out yourselves."

Oh and it can NOT be your first uniform slot.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How to find the uniforms can be confusing. I saw a few posts about them missing.

How to find them.

At the tailor, open up the modify or create. On the tab for HEAD, you will see in the upper right corner a drop down that defaults to uniform. Change that to off duty. Now it's still not easily found because on the Uniform tab, you will be able to pick your off duty, right? Not exactly there where you see the choice of Mercenary, etc. Nope. The drop down above that. Oh and you expect to see something like "Khan's Outfit" or something? Nah, that would too easy. Look for the one that says bare chest.

CornFlakes just telling people "It's in off duty" was a lazy way to tell people "figure it out yourselves."

Oh and it can NOT be your first uniform slot.

1. It's BRANFLAKES

2. Don't ever call or imply he is lazy. Brandon of late has been working over 15 hour days. even as I post this. I have seen he is still replying to other threads, and he's been working since before 8 am. There is not a more hardworking CM, than him when it comes to player dedication.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Monkeybone, I only get performance issues for a short time after starting STO up through Arc because my system kind of sucks. Where I really notice the problem is running the sister game, CO, because I'm pushing this puppy pretty close to the redline just running the game; adding in Arc's processes takes it over the top, and my framerate drops to the single digits.

And no, folks, this isn't spyware. It's not really bloatware, either, although it wants to use IE for a browser, and that really is bloatware. You don't like it, don't run it. Use the standalone launcher for now, or run Steam, which is supposed to remain viable indefinitely.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    edited January 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    Monkeybone, I only get performance issues for a short time after starting STO up through Arc because my system kind of sucks. Where I really notice the problem is running the sister game, CO, because I'm pushing this puppy pretty close to the redline just running the game; adding in Arc's processes takes it over the top, and my framerate drops to the single digits.

And no, folks, this isn't spyware. It's not really bloatware, either, although it wants to use IE for a browser, and that really is bloatware. You don't like it, don't run it. Use the standalone launcher for now, or run Steam, which is supposed to remain viable indefinitely.

Well I only play STO. I was only speaking for myself about performance. When Arc is running the game seems to play fine for me. No lag or constant disconnects.

I use to be with everyone else and believed the conclusions people came up with. But I got tired of almost drowning because I followed everybody off the bridge. I decided to try Arc myself. It's not very useful to me, but it's not really a bother. So I'm OK with it becoming mandatory.

And I can't stand Internet Explorer. I use Firefox. :P

Edit: Besides, free Khan outfit, WHOOOO!:D
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,980 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well I only play STO. I was only speaking for myself about performance. When Arc is running the game seems to play fine for me. No lag or constant disconnects.

I use to be with everyone else and believed the conclusions people came up with. But I got tired of almost drowning because I followed everybody off the bridge. I decided to try Arc myself. It's not very useful to me, but it's not really a bother. So I'm OK with it becoming mandatory.

And I can't stand Internet Explorer. I use Firefox. :P

Edit: Besides, free Khan outfit, WHOOOO!:D

You are saying exactly what I have said all along. Since I started using ARC last May, my constant disconnects went away. I still get the odd one now and again, but that is due to my internet connection NOT STO. As for installing plugins without permission, it installs ONE, called playnow which enables you to view ARC via your browser, this is a plugin used by many software companies, one of them being EA.For me the added bonuses of ARC is being able to submit support tickets (should I need to)while still ingame, by doing this, this enables to be able to give a more detailed description in your ticket. Also being able to view this, the forum while still in game also. If I encounter a bug or glitch in a mission. I pull up the forum, see if others have encountered the same issue, and if there is a work around I can implement it straight away without having to minimise or close STO beforehand.

Only issue I have at the moment with using the forum while still in game is not being able to copy and paste links into threads or posts I make, but hopefully this is something that will be added after Beta.
  • stormstrykestormstryke Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    1. It's BRANFLAKES

2. Don't ever call or imply he is lazy. Brandon of late has been working over 15 hour days. even as I post this. I have seen he is still replying to other threads, and he's been working since before 8 am. There is not a more hardworking CM, than him when it comes to player dedication.

1. He's been called that before by others. So you need to stop being overprotective.

2. It can be called whatever it wants/warrants. People were asking as early as the first couple of pages and I said what he told them. He could have typed out what took me no more than 3 minutes to type above. Actually probably 2 minutes since I added my own commentary. So yes, 2 minutes over 15 seconds is lazy.
    _____

Lifetime no longer gives a forum title. That should be updated on the Lifetime page that mentions what you get. PMing the CSR doesn't work neither.
  • tigrovaya13akulatigrovaya13akula Member Posts: 151 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Finally! I got my Khan OFF DUTY stuff.

To those who still haven't got it, try Uninstalling & Reinstalling ARC.

That was the ticket for me.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    U will not get lag issues, or DC problems or watever , using arc, please people, be honest!!
    Do you really think that if arc is so bad, they will not be aware of it??

The only problem here is, if someone is using already steam for other games, he will not start switching between arc and steam, thats stupid.

I didnt have any lag, dc, or performance issues using arc, just the same as not using it. And spam?? where did u get that guys?? lol. U sure that u know what "spam" means?

The problem is, i have other games on steam, and i dont want to start switching between arc and steam. Thats the only problem. And i wont. My only excuse for not using arc is that i just dont need it, period.
  • jimtkirkjimtkirk Member Posts: 0
    edited January 2014
    macrilen wrote: »
    Alrighty,

I have no idea how to add it to my toon. I read the message, and i'm at the taillor.. I can select between uniform and Maco and that's it...

Any help, thanks guys!

Having the same problem on my Fed Toon. The problem I've learned is that the "Off Duty" option isn't coming up on my Fed toon at the tailor. So following the email's intructions to "create an outfit or modify an existing one" doesn't work. The off duty option just never comes up like it does on my Romulan toon.
  • carasucia83carasucia83 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My only excuse for not using arc is that i just dont need it, period.

That, and the fact that people simply want the option to use it or not is the point. The rest is fluff. Good, arguable and relavent fluff, but fluff all the same to the underlying issue of 'not wanted, not needed'.
    "So my fun is wrong?"

No. Your fun makes everyone else's fun wrong by default.
  • nutronicusnutronicus Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I cannot change my uniform selection to off duty.
    Its greyed out.
    edited January 2014
    U will not get lag issues, or DC problems or watever , using arc, please people, be honest!!
    You will not get lag issues (nor will about 90% of the users, in all likelihood). I'm running this on a Toshiba Satellite laptop that dates back almost four years now. It's adequate to run the program - but when I add Arc, it eats up just enough of my system resources to slow my computer to a crawl for about five minutes or so. Then it picks back up.

The point is, while it's not Arc in particular that's slowing me down, just my own lack of system resources, I do experience a slowdown when running through Arc. Steam seems to consume fewer resources, so I can run it at the same time. Thus, I prefer using Steam, and Cryptic still maintains that they have no plans to take Steam away from us at this time.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes. As i said, a front-end consumes computer resources, thats logical. Steam in the beginnins was a resource eater. Because if arc consumes so much resources as everybody is saying, it will not last for more than a year. Do you think the developers of arc will have a software that will not allow to run their own games in proper conditions. Thats stupid even thinking of it.

I dont have any lag issue, dc, crash, slow motion or watever using arc. Maybe guys, your computer is too screwed up already. My motivs for not using arc are different, i suposse.

Of course everybody prefers to use steam, the problem is, having steam and arc at the same time can be destructive for the performance. But running arc alone, or steam alone, isnt.

I played for a few months champions online, using arc all the time. Didnt notice anything weird, lag, low performance, dc or whatever. So, yes, maybe using arc, your system resources drop a bit, but it is not significant. If your computer is really old, or it is not optimized, yeah, running arc could be worst, but in normal conditions, it is not.

Saying i dont want arc because it consumes my resources is stupid. Because that is not true, unless yu have a old computer or a really low-end one.
    edited January 2014
    If your computer is really old...
    Please reread what I posted. Yes, my computer is really old - I'm half-afraid that one day I'll have to service something, and find out it uses vacuum tubes. (Google it, kids. :) ) However, my financial situation is not such that I'll be replacing it any time soon, so there you go. I don't know how many of my fellow captains, if any, are in the same boat, but given the numbers cited in the infographic published today, there's bound to be at least a couple others...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • murfy27murfy27 Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Anyone else finding they cannot select the Khan hair anymore?
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    murfy27 wrote: »
    Anyone else finding they cannot select the Khan hair anymore?

Yes... As long as I don't make any changes to my existing costume, the hair remains, but it is no longer in the Hairstyles options under Uniform or Off-Duty.

It looks like everything else is showing under Off-Duty, though. Clothes, Helmet, etc.

Pity, though... I actually liked the Khan hairstyle... it could do without that Afro-Sheen reflectiveness though. That reflectiveness is most annoying not only on that hair, but others as well... especially the Romulan styles. Of course, most of the newer styles don't have that Reflectiveness slider. Hopefully the devs will fix those issues...

Granted, minor in the grand scheme of things, but still a nuisance.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • darthstormstrikedarthstormstrike Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jimtkirk wrote: »
    Having the same problem on my Fed Toon. The problem I've learned is that the "Off Duty" option isn't coming up on my Fed toon at the tailor. So following the email's intructions to "create an outfit or modify an existing one" doesn't work. The off duty option just never comes up like it does on my Romulan toon.

Did you read the post on the previous page? It's a little hidden. Go to the Head tab then look in the top right corner for a dropdown. You can change from uniform to Off duty then go to the uniform tab. And continue the rest of the instructions in the post on the last page.

"There is no problem in the universe that can't be solved with a bribe, a paid assassin, or an overpowered fighter." - Chubain from Jumpgate Evolution
    edited January 2014
    Tip: When creating a new costume slot, if you can't select 'Off Duty', just click the 'Purchase' button without making any changes. This will create the costume slot, copying over whatever outfit you had highlighted in the list, and it won't charge you any energy credits. Afterwards, select the new costume slot, click the 'Modify' button, and you should be able to select 'Off Duty'. This was a problem when they revamped the tailor for LoR launch. They "fixed" it a long time ago but it still has this problem on occasion.
  • rajathomasrajathomas Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was interested in this costume so I installed ARC. Got the email and headed to the tailor to check it out. Gotta say I'm disappointed. For such an iconic Trek item to be so poorly rendered is sad. I mean, this is Kahn...THE most feared villain in Trek. You don't do anything Kahn related half-assed like this was.

Oh well, moving on.
    izf25xI.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Yes... As long as I don't make any changes to my existing costume, the hair remains, but it is no longer in the Hairstyles options under Uniform or Off-Duty.

It looks like everything else is showing under Off-Duty, though. Clothes, Helmet, etc.

Pity, though... I actually liked the Khan hairstyle... it could do without that Afro-Sheen reflectiveness though. That reflectiveness is most annoying not only on that hair, but others as well... especially the Romulan styles. Of course, most of the newer styles don't have that Reflectiveness slider. Hopefully the devs will fix those issues...

Granted, minor in the grand scheme of things, but still a nuisance.

Yep. I reported it here http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=14835261#post14835261

The hairstyle is completely gone. I still have access to everything else. I forgot to add the belt on my main character but I can't add it now without losing the hairstyle. :(

Also I was disappointed this outfit was off duty only. I was hoping to use it on bridge officers, especially diplomacy boffs that have mainly nothing but klingon outfit options without special purchases like the fleet dilithium miner or lobi store voth soldier uniforms. :(
  • bughunter357bughunter357 Member Posts: 587 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    a little cleavage is what you should have. i dont mean to be offensive or disgusting towards and female members but this is like basically running around and you get a whole new meaning to Starfleet officers standing to attention and basketballs on the loose.

it would be alright for the orion females, they like to dress trashy but federation captains need to meet minimum dressing requirements at the least when on duty.

well then since this is a off duty uniform it should not matter that a starfleet female captain wears it.

on another note when I first claimed this I was able to access it on all characters but I notice after the late patch on the 30th hit that it was not showing or did I have the "thank you for using ARC" mail on some, now I have not gone and started the game in ARC since but will have too to see if the costume shows up again on the rest of my characters.

one thing I learned about off duty uniforms was to always start at the head option tab down at the bottom then select the off duty in the pull down menu, I help a player the day these came out and they had the same issue after trying a few times they finally got the off duty to come up, I think it can be a bit buggy at times and need more work but it does work most of the time, maybe try altering another costume and try to see if it come up on that one had to do that on a alt account.
  • captainraven81captainraven81 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can't seem to get this or My klink. Is that somehow not allowed?

Edit: It seems I can't have the first or second costume slot use the Khan Attire. Only additional costumes slots allow Me to select off duty as an option. Is this normal?
    edited January 2014
    I can't seem to get this or My klink. Is that somehow not allowed?

Edit: It seems I can't have the first or second costume slot use the Khan Attire. Only additional costumes slots allow Me to select off duty as an option. Is this normal?

Your very first costume slot is uniform only. All others should be able to use off duty outfits.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Reading this thread i see that not everyone gets the new uniform. It is randomly selected. I do not want to install a new client, which will force me to reinstall STO entirely from scratch even though it's already on my computer, which will then force me to patch from scratch as well, just to take a "chance" that i may or may not get the uniform.

Now if PWE gave this to EVERYONE who installed the latest Arc, I'd do it for sure. This looks like a badass uniform. But i am also put off by the fact that they once again will not let us put it on our bridge officers even if i did get it. What does PWE have against our bridge officers matching our Captains?

A lot of people know me on these forums as "that guy who always defends the devs". Sorry but I have to switch sides on this one. It's silly to not give the prize out to everyone even though you advertise that supposedly everyone gets it, and also limit it from BOFFs
    edited February 2014
    But other factions do have an "off-duty". Lieutenant General Malthit is currently aboard DS9, wearing a version of this in a truly bilious yellow-green that sets off his green skin in an absolutely horrific fasion...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    Reading this thread i see that not everyone gets the new uniform. It is randomly selected. I do not want to install a new client, which will force me to reinstall STO entirely from scratch even though it's already on my computer, which will then force me to patch from scratch as well, just to take a "chance" that i may or may not get the uniform.

Everyone gets it -- it's not random. Please re-read the first post of this thread, as well as the blog linked in the first post, for info.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2014

Now if PWE gave this to EVERYONE who installed the latest Arc, I'd do it for sure. This looks like a badass uniform. But i am also put off by the fact that they once again will not let us put it on our bridge officers even if i did get it. What does PWE have against our bridge officers matching our Captains?

A lot of people know me on these forums as "that guy who always defends the devs". Sorry but I have to switch sides on this one. It's silly to not give the prize out to everyone even though you advertise that supposedly everyone gets it, and also limit who can wear it. federation only from what i am reading in this thread, since other factions do not have an "off duty".
    STO will be automatically detected by ARC, it did for me atleast. Other factions will get the uniform too as it does unlock the Off-duty slot for all factions. KDF have an off-duty slot.

You have misinformation.
  • fazemladaiyafazemladaiya Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Everyone gets it -- it's not random. Please re-read the first post of this thread, as well as the blog linked in the first post, for info.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I understand what it is SUPPOSED to do, Bran. Just saying I am not installing until it does start doing that. Also just checked with another friend that has Arc installed for his and he can;t access the new stuff either. If people start verifying that it starts working for them, I will happily install Arc on this PC and grab the stuff.
    STO will be automatically detected by ARC, it did for me atleast. Other factions will get the uniform too as it does unlock the Off-duty slot for all factions. KDF have an off-duty slot.

You have misinformation.

STO automatically detecting and awarding the outfit is misinformation. It is not doing that for everyone.

However I do stand corrected about the Off Duty bit. I had "BOFF" in my head and went over to off Duty. My frustration is that we can't let our crew match us.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited February 2014
    I understand what it is SUPPOSED to do, Bran. Just saying I am not installing until it does start doing that. Also just checked with another friend that has Arc installed for his and he can;t access the new stuff either. If people start verifying that it starts working for them, I will happily install Arc on this PC and grab the stuff.

I've redeemed it on all my characters on my personal account, and there are many many others in this thread that have said they did too. The most common issue to "not having it available" is not looking in the off duty uniform section, and not making sure to sign into each character while signed into Arc so it unlocks for each of those characters. You'll also see tons of players by the various tailors leaving in their new Khan outfits.

Enjoy yours once you get them :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=