test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Bridge Based missions

o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
okay, on our ships we have bridges and decks that are more or less useless unless you are in a RP. I'd like to see a change to that, give us some missions inside these places, the way points and interactions could be adjusted for different themes so you're not popping up outside of the walls and into the void or using an invisible console but the basic mission is the same, just visually set for your ships insides. We are playing a game based on a show where 80+% of the time was filmed inside the halls and decks of the ships. while reflecting that would be a complete overhaul of the game, it would be for just a few missions to make what bridge you have relevant to you. it may help with bridge pack sales.

Thoughts?
First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
Post edited by o0kami87 on

Comments

• Options
    aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    o0kami87 wrote: »
    Thoughts?

I suspect most chance of this went out the door with them making Romulan bridges/corridors to proper scale rather than the earlier Klingon/Fed "oversized for maneuvering room during ground combat missions." The entire reason for the (absurd) oversize was for combat with a full away team, and the given reason for the Romulan interiors being to proper scale was "since we largely gave up on interior missions."
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think it's a good idea, that's probably difficult to implement.

Tailoring waypoints, spawn-in points, etc. to account for each available bridge (there are 14 different bridge types on the Fed side alone, with usually 3 or 4 variations of each type, plus unique bridges from lockbox ships, the Odyssey bridge, etc.) would be a difficult task, and would require tech that doesn't exist yet.

Unless you want it to be incredibly simple stuff like the "visit your ready room and use the computer" plot point that we have already. I think we can all agree that's not terribly exciting.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can see it now, running from deck to deck, searching Jeffries tubes, all in a frantic effort to get those annoying Tribbles off the ship. :P It would make sense to repel boarding parties this way, or do maintenance jobs, tho I can't say I relish the thought of playing the role of DOff...:rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • Options
    wrenfuwrenfu Member Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd just like to see a galaxy map with no loading zones and navigatable from the bridge. I'd just be happy with a galaxy map revamp. Its always seemed like a huge rushjob

for the missions, they really just need to give us better tools for the mission creator. or give themselves better tools. I doubt corridor based combat has never been done before in a 3rd person shooter
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I suspect most chance of this went out the door with them making Romulan bridges/corridors to proper scale rather than the earlier Klingon/Fed "oversized for maneuvering room during ground combat missions." The entire reason for the (absurd) oversize was for combat with a full away team, and the given reason for the Romulan interiors being to proper scale was "since we largely gave up on interior missions."
    gave up on interior missions? you have to start in order to give up, my understanding is the interiors in general where being abandoned because "There is no money in it" this was an idea to make it bring in something. I feel you are right and the chances are 0 to -10% chance of this happening, but I'm hoping otherwise.
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    I think it's a good idea, that's probably difficult to implement.

Tailoring waypoints, spawn-in points, etc. to account for each available bridge (there are 14 different bridge types on the Fed side alone, with usually 3 or 4 variations of each type, plus unique bridges from lockbox ships, the Odyssey bridge, etc.) would be a difficult task, and would require tech that doesn't exist yet.

Unless you want it to be incredibly simple stuff like the "visit your ready room and use the computer" plot point that we have already. I think we can all agree that's not terribly exciting.
    the old geni. plugin came close, I mean yes it had issues and needs some tinkering but I think some somewhat decent to hell maybe even good missions is possible
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I can see it now, running from deck to deck, searching Jeffries tubes, all in a frantic effort to get those annoying Tribbles off the ship. :P It would make sense to repel boarding parties this way, or do maintenance jobs, tho I can't say I relish the thought of playing the role of DOff...:rolleyes:

not a Doff, well maybe a doff, I could see a team system where you chose to team up with other players inside of one of the teams ships. but the Captain did things on the ship aswell, and oversaw difficult task he put is Boffs on, offen times having to get their hands dirty themselves.
  • Options
    greuceangreucean Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I keep hearing this thing that there's no money in bridges. I got the DS9 bundle for the bridge. And for the bridge alone. BUT... Belfast bridge is pretty much awesome, while compared to the other bridge packs. And most importantly, I think it reflects the atmosphere from the show very well, unlike most other bridges, which look made by someone who rarely watched Star Trek.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    greucean wrote: »
    I keep hearing this thing that there's no money in bridges. I got the DS9 bundle for the bridge. And for the bridge alone. BUT... Belfast bridge is pretty much awesome, while compared to the other bridge packs. And most importantly, I think it reflects the atmosphere from the show very well, unlike most other bridges, which look made by someone who rarely watched Star Trek.

I love the Belfast bridge too, as well as the TOS bridge from the TOS bundle...but it depresses me that there hasn't been a TNG or VOY bundle since then. It's impossible to know for sure, but that could indicate not enough people bought the TOS or DS9 bundles.

It's telling that the only new bridges we see nowadays are "value added" to stuff like new ships. The ships with a bridge bundled into it obviously sell well enough to make it worthwhile. The old-school "bridge packs" were clearly not successful (enough). The TOS and DS9 bundles...well, who knows?
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    berginsbergins Member Posts: 3,453 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    The ships with a bridge bundled into it obviously sell well enough to make it worthwhile. The old-school "bridge packs" were clearly not successful (enough). The TOS and DS9 bundles...well, who knows?
    I was looking at TOS bundle the other day, just because I like the bridge. I was quickly turned off by the thought that I was buying a bunch of low-tier gear and a bridge for $20, when I can get other bridges for $5.

Now, bundle the bridge with TOS Connie, I'd consider paying $20 for that, would likely pay $15, and would walk away with it, very happy, for $10.

If the devs would take a lesson from the Wal-Mart playbook, you'll sell more at a lower price. Volume Discounting is where the money is.

Or, to paraphrase another thread Nerfing High Prices Will Buff the Bottom Line.
    "Logic is a little tweeting bird chirping in a meadow. Logic is a wreath of pretty flowers which smell BAD." - Spock