test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Assignment: Support Colonization Efforts" WTH!?

crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
Okay, so I recently finished the Colonization Assignments in the B'Tran cluster so i could pick up a few Technician Doffs... Earned my One of Ten upon completing the "Renown" title. Then I see an Assignment titled "Assignment: Support Colonization Efforts in the B'Tran Cluster" which offers me the opportunity to earn more Techs... I thought, "great, lets do it!"

I fill up the assignment with blue and purple duty officers, the required 5, and purchased all the necessary items to go along with it. The pie-chart told me I had a 37% chance of a Critical Success and a 63% chance to earn a Success, with NO chance of failing the assignment. I log in last night and see I've FAILED the assignment!

What the heck! How could I have failed an assignment when I had no chance of failing it?

:(
CM
"Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
Post edited by crm14916 on

Comments

• truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Someone sabotage the work...
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This has happened before. Apparantly, it's some kind of rounding thing where the results show as 0%, but is actually something stupid like 0.000003%.

To my knowledge, the only missions with 100% guarantee success properly is the pick up colonists and the recruitment/doff grinder ones from the guy at the academy.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • crm14916crm14916 Member Posts: 1,528 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, I'm running the Assignment again... And I'm staying in the B'Tran cluster to do it. It's a 4-Hour assignment, and apparently there's a cooldown that's not mentioned anywhere, because Last night, the Assignment didn't show up in the "current Map" or the "Operations" list. Anyway, this time when I loaded my blue and purple doffs into the Assignment, it showed a 25% Crit, 63% Success, 6% Failure, and a 6% Disaster chance... So, we'll see what happens this time around.

I am utterly surprised at some of the missions I fail. I understand the statistics, but how the heck do I Crit cheap missions with a 10% chance to Crit and a 40% to fail, but I fail assignments with 25% Crit, 63% Success, and a 6% fail and 6% disaster...

Ugh!
    CM

EDIT: Also, if anyone knows, my first Doff, the One of Ten Tech, came already locked to my character... Do all of these bind on receive? How then could anyone sell these on the exchange? I don't get that part... Or is it just the one I earn for 'Renown" that is bound?

Thanks!
    CM
    "Equipped with his five senses, man explores the universe around him and calls the adventure science." - Edwin Hubble
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ^AFAIK it's just the "Renown" doff that's bound.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited December 2013
    Cool, then maybe I'll keep running this Assignment and make a few bucks...

Also, quickie... I've got me a Marion, which everyone tells me is the Doff of Doffs, but mine only works with Directed Energy... is that the way he's designed? Wouldn't I rather have 5 techs than a Marion?

CM
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Well, first of all, you physically can't slot five techs. You're hard-capped at three of any given type.

Second, Marion's job is to reduce the amount of power firing your guns draws from your reserve, which lets you maintain higher damage (it also provides resistance to weapons power drain from enemy attacks). Doing so requires DEM on your ship. If you don't use DEM (it's good, but not required for all builds), Marion's wasting a slot.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited December 2013
    hard capped at 3 techs... sweet... good to know... So, I'm hoping I can run it and get 5 or 6 techs and sell the rest on the exchange... As for Marion, I added a DEM II to one of my engineers, so I'm using it...

Thanks!
    CM
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can't sell the DOFFs you get from Renown or Support. When you get those they are bound to your character. Also all these Supports have a 24hour Cooldown after completion.
    edited December 2013
    rmxiii,

Where do people get the Techs that they are selling on the exchange if not from the Renown and Support assignments?

Also, thanks for the response! :)
    CM
  • stirling191stirling191 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Where do people get the Techs that they are selling on the exchange if not from the Renown and Support assignments?

DOFF packs purchased with Zen or from Lockboxes
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Its funny you bring this up now, I have three toons running a2b builds. It took 9/10 runs at the support mission to get the 3 VR doffs for each toon. Right now I am 0 out of 6 on my fourth toon. I think the MAN does not want any more VR Techs out there. :mad:
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
  • architect13architect13 Member Posts: 1,076 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    oops dup post
    Have you tried the new forum on your phone?
    edited December 2013
    oops dup post
    So, I requeued the assignment, and my second run through earned me two doffs... a purple technician ten of ten, and some nobody common doff... So happy! Hope to get a few more here...
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You hit the "neo" of failures

Congratulations, too bad you didn't win the lottery or something
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • gulremalgulremal Member Posts: 153 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    DOFF packs purchased with Zen or from Lockboxes

Also:
    - officer exchange/refugee sanctuary/prisoner exchange doff missions (though it's low chance to get purple doff, and then technician, but possible)
    - getting 100k doff exp (rank 4) in certain field (diplomacy/marauding, military, colonial etc) awards you free purple doff, and if you are lucky you might get a technician to choose from

I'm not sure if "Instigate defection" missions offer possibility of getting technician doffs. I already get multiple copies of same boffs from this mission, so I guess there are preset types of doffs you can get from it. No technicians so far.
  • bigwig77bigwig77 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am 3/5 on support currently
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    If you're not getting 31-33% crit, you're doing it wrong.
    edited January 2014
    So, how do you do it right? I run this every week and all I get are white common refugees... They're not even cool ones! I place 5 (?) purples on this mission and it only gives me about a 40% chance to crit...

CM
    edited January 2014
    Use the 3 trait VR Rigelian from what I think is the Engineering CXP tract. Then for the rest use doffs like Maela, Demera, and Yelgrun, for maximum crit chances. When using the Rigelian, you'll get a 33% chance. Using 5 of the others will give you 31% chance.

And having given doff advice, I've done my good deed of the day.

P.S. You could buy VR two trait doffs as long as you find them cheap on the exchange, but slowly farming DV, AE, and EB for the doffs is much better. Just throw the refugees off to the correct Asylums.

P.S.S. It used to be easier when the DOFFJOBS channel had people going to all the sectors and sharing the support colonization assignments, but people stopped doing it back in June.
    edited January 2014
    Throwing the refugees off is easy, since there are other doff asmts that use them. So it's not a total loss... Just a huge frustration that it's randomness, combined with cooldown means I can only find it while I'm playing once a week, and it's been months now since a purple has dropped.

Just wondering, can you provide me with a name of the purple Rigelian you are referring to? I'm not sure if I've made it far enough thru the Eng track to get it. Will look on the exchange for purple engineers with two traits... Are there names of others that are effective? I'm willing to do the work to find them, but if you ahve names it would make the search a bit quicker...

Thanks!
    CM
    edited January 2014
    crm14916 wrote: »
    Throwing the refugees off is easy, since there are other doff asmts that use them. So it's not a total loss... Just a huge frustration that it's randomness, combined with cooldown means I can only find it while I'm playing once a week, and it's been months now since a purple has dropped.

Just wondering, can you provide me with a name of the purple Rigelian you are referring to? I'm not sure if I've made it far enough thru the Eng track to get it. Will look on the exchange for purple engineers with two traits... Are there names of others that are effective? I'm willing to do the work to find them, but if you ahve names it would make the search a bit quicker...

Thanks!
    CM

Ok, bonus advice since I'm feeling generous. Always check OPS to see if the assignment is there.
    Asylum on Earth is pretty much the most common and easy to find since it can pop up on SOL space, ESD, or randomly in the Sirius sector block.
    Asylum on Andoria or Vulcan tend to be just as common, BUT, most people can't be bothered to check the space and ground areas of both of those planets.
    Asylum on Tellar Prime is rare because there is no Trill planet (and the devs seem to have no intention of making one any time soon) so it only appears in the Sirius sector block randomly.

For the rest of the Asylums, just throw the Tellarites in and see what you get. Heck, they do well in the Bajor one.

Yes, the devs at some point either when s6 was released or just after seem to have done something to the crit chances for these, because purple doffs used to drop more often. They still crit, but the crit chance seems to have been scaled back to almost never exceed the stated %, so you more often than not get blues.
  • sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am Neo. All my doffs turn purple by bending them.

Sorry. An uncalled for joke. It happens sometimes in the pub.
    /Floozy
  • comtedeloach2comtedeloach2 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Dont forget the "refine 500 extra dilithum." thats 100% too.
  • rmxiiirmxiii Member Posts: 221 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The Rigelian is that great for supports is Zocheav
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Zocheav

Also the of the purples from supports are also very good to do more supoorts
    Maela from Delta Volanis - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Maela_%28Doctor%29

Demera from the Eridan Belt - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Demera

Yelgrun from the Zenas Expanse - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Yelgrun

Asylums are always good for those white Refugees you get as well. Sometimes get lucky enough to get a purple back.

Also if you have extra Andorian refugees can toss them at the Caitian homeworld Asylum which usually is up in Alpha Centauri sector space.
  • red01999red01999 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    grylak wrote: »
    This has happened before. Apparantly, it's some kind of rounding thing where the results show as 0%, but is actually something stupid like 0.000003%.

To my knowledge, the only missions with 100% guarantee success properly is the pick up colonists and the recruitment/doff grinder ones from the guy at the academy.

Tell that to the officers who went to pick up colonists and apparently got sucked into my ship's bussard ramscoop. No survivors.

Was one of the first DOff missions I did on that toon, too. Surprisingly he's my main now.

RIP, nameless DOffs. You would be missed... if I remembered you... maybe...
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    rmxiii wrote: »
    The Rigelian is that great for supports is Zocheav
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Zocheav

Also the of the purples from supports are also very good to do more supoorts
    Maela from Delta Volanis - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Maela_%28Doctor%29

Demera from the Eridan Belt - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Demera

Yelgrun from the Zenas Expanse - http://sto.gamepedia.com/Yelgrun

Asylums are always good for those white Refugees you get as well. Sometimes get lucky enough to get a purple back.

Also if you have extra Andorian refugees can toss them at the Caitian homeworld Asylum which usually is up in Alpha Centauri sector space.

Another good one would be

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Mariah_Kilara_Marr

from last years CE event. 3 crit traits, no success (important since success will "eat" from crit once failure reaches 0%), she is unbound (!) and widely available on the exchange.