test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Introducing the Dauntless as multifaction ship

mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
Here are a few thoughts on introducing the Dauntless as a multifaction ship.

A key point to remember is that the Dauntless as seen in Voyager is an alien vessel (Species 116).

Storyline:

We know that there are patrols outside of the Sphere from the Season 8 dev blog #43 " Hirogen Alphas that remained in the Delta Quadrant are once more finding themselves in conflict with ships from the Alpha Quadrant. This time, they are defending their ancient hunting grounds against predator and prey alike"

The player is happily patrolling a point outside of the Solanae Dyson Sphere and receives a distress call from a small colony of aliens. They are under attack from the Borg and being the natural borg bludgeoners that all of us are the player lays in a course to assist.

The player arrives upon the scene where the surprisingly large colony of advanced aliens is providing decent resistance to the borg, but due to sheer numbers the borg will eventually result in defeat. Records indicate that this colony is from species 116, and most of their species has been assimilated but those that have survived are strong and innovative. It is worth the risk to assist in order to establish trade negotiations with this species...plus its just the borg...oh wait the wait why not throw in 8472 all of a sudden? Still you are a seasoned member of Starfleet/KDF/Republic...whats a few extra species to contend with.

You render assistance! You defeat the borg, blow them to bits, scrap metal, srsly they couldnt assimilate a toaster after you are done with them...afterall with you to help turn the tide species 116 is more than just resistance...they are a threat. With the borg out of the way 8472 are kinda miffy...with you being grody and unclean and totally not from fluidic space so you gotta go. Good thing you are not a fool and by your efforts combined you are able to open rifts into fluidic space (helps having 2 deflectors *wink wink*) and you shove them back into the fish bowl they came out of, establishing a subspace dampening field which renders opening new rifts impossible or at certain intervals (would make a great space zone...defend against fluidic space incursions).

This gives you a chance to catch up with species 116. Turns out that the 20k that escaped the borg have been busy rebuilding society while the borg have been busy with all kinds of trouble...anyone remember the Unimatrix Zero problem? yeah that took the wind out of the native borgs sails...then Endgame killing a Queen...which they replaced but still "they used to assimilate till they took a Janeway virus to the queen"...and after that 8472 decided they didnt want to listen to a crazed hippy gardener who says erribodi is cool and decide to attack everyone at the drop of Quatloo...yeah life hasnt been easy for the borg and in that time species 116 (being the big brained ppl they are) have made great strides in rebuilding.

All that is left to do is build up some good "Reputation" with species 116 so you can negotiate for some of their unique technology (Ships, weapons, ect). This could be another actual reputation system which would reward the Dauntless type (different skins/bridge colours thanks to the particle synthesis that they employ). This would also help explain what an alien ship is doing fighting with the Federation at the Battle of Procyon V...some ally actually got it from the delta quadrant.

And here is a link to great thread discussing the pros of having Ray Wise (Arturis from the Dauntless episode)
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=995361&highlight=Dauntless

Feedback and thoughts greatly appreciated,
-Seacat
Post edited by mirrorseacat on

Comments

• Options
    johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A key point to remember is that the Dauntless as seen in Voyager is an alien vessel (Species 116).

Yep. And at no point in canon Trek is the Federation seen using it.

Apart from here.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    Yep. And at no point in canon Trek is the Federation seen using it.

Apart from here.

exactly...but it doesnt mean that the federation actually built one...or that its a UFP ship...just that it is in the battle fighting against the sphere builders
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    exactly...but it doesnt mean that the federation actually built one...or that its a UFP ship...just that it is in the battle fighting against the sphere builders

As part of the Federation's strike force against the Sphere Builders. It's canonically recognised as a Federation ship.

What you're suggesting is making a ship that - yes, it appeared as an illusion/decoy in Voyager - was eventually canonically used by the Federation as cross-faction ship.

That's a Pandora's Box we don't want opened.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    As part of the Federation's strike force against the Sphere Builders. It's canonically recognised as a Federation ship.

What you're suggesting is making a ship that - yes, it appeared as an illusion/decoy in Voyager - was eventually canonically used by the Federation as cross-faction ship.

Im not going to get into a canon argument, there is no point in that especially in a video game. What I put forth was a way for the devs to work getting the Dauntless style ship into the games existing story for all 3 factions in a way that makes sense (again for the game). And that is one awesome Pandora's Box I would love to see opened as the ship is beautiful.
  • Options
    leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited January 2014

There are Klingon ships in that battle too.

In any case, I think what I'd like is if we rescued some people from assimilation (particularly the Borg are the Voth's mystery enemy) and this included Arcturis. Get Ray Wise back to voice him (he does projects of all sizes from Twin Peaks, Robo Cop, and How I Met Your Mother down to indy films where it almost seems doubtful he gets paid at all).

Arcturis could supply the Federation with the Dauntless design after a change of heart and do the same for Klingons and Romulans, with corresponding ships.

I think deassimilating people is a fun plot device because we could get characters like, maybe, an old friend of Sisko's or one of Tolian Soran's children. Assimilation can be a kind of time capsule from which the devs can retrieve characters from other times and places. Some of those drones, once liberated, might know more about the Iconians.
  • Options
    edited January 2014

In any case, I think what I'd like is if we rescued some people from assimilation (particularly the Borg are the Voth's mystery enemy) and this included Arcturis. Get Ray Wise back to voice him (he does projects of all sizes from Twin Peaks, Robo Cop, and How I Met Your Mother down to indy films where it almost seems doubtful he gets paid at all).

Arcturis could supply the Federation with the Dauntless design after a change of heart and do the same for Klingons and Romulans, with corresponding ships.

I think deassimilating people is a fun plot device because we could get characters like, maybe, an old friend of Sisko's or one of Tolian Soran's children. Assimilation can be a kind of time capsule from which the devs can retrieve characters from other times and places. Some of those drones, once liberated, might know more about the Iconians.

Darn. I read your thread on that, was gonna include it and a link to your tread on that topic. I think having Wise do a VO would add that much more to something like this, he has such a voice for it, ill update it with the link to your thread tonight after work.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    And that is one awesome Pandora's Box I would love to see opened as the ship is beautiful.

You misunderstand. The Pandora's Box in question is that if you start handing out a Fed ship for KDF and Romulan players to use, how long before you start seeing Feds flying Warbirds, or KDF Raiders, and then the whole idea and point of factional differences is lost.

As for a fun way of getting the design into the game; Just make it and put it into the game as a Fed ship, C-Store or otherwise. Do a similar stat ship for Roms and KDF, and everyone's happy.

Having a ship with the abilities you're looking for could be very difficult indeed with the current game engine. More than likely, it'd come from a Universal Console, which are typically found on Lockbox, Lobi and C-Store ships.
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2014

"We"?

Please don't speak for others without their consent, it's rather rude. I for one think it's an excellent idea. STO starship developers need to take a new approach to Federation and Klingon designs IMO.

Thinking back to that episode, the details of the look of the ship-external were never discussed in regards to subterfuge. Only internally. I do not think it would not take much creative thinking to produce a storyline that would make this ship available.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    "We"?

Please don't speak for others without their consent, it's rather rude. I for one think it's an excellent idea. STO starship developers need to take a new approach to Federation and Klingon designs IMO.

I'm sorry, I didn't realise you wanted to do away with the idea of factions altogether and allow any captain to fly any ship, and therein ruin all the work that the Devs have put into balancing each faction's strengths and weaknesses.

KDF players were already annoyed when the so-called "unique" Raider buff was distributed on the Breen Raider, thus making it not unique at all. This would just be the next logical step, if we're going down that road.

Yeah, but we've already got that one. In fact, with the exception of the J, the Dauntless-type is the only ship in that battle that's not in game.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "We"?

I allow him to speak in my name as well on this topic, so go ahead and use 'we' johngazman.
    That's indeed a Pandora's box we don't want opened in STO.

I have no issue with only Feds. getting the Dauntless. The other 2 factions don't have to be involved. It's obviously a Fed. design (yes, I know it was alien made, but they made it look like a Fed design), so there should really be no issues with only Fed. players getting this one.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why not just have an "alien" looking ship, one that belonged to Species 116, and onboard the ship is a Particle Synthesis Generator equipment slot that enables the outward appearance of the vessel to take on faction specific design and hull style details.

Each faction would get one free generator unique to them, and then you could have other non-faction specific generators released via Lock Boxes, from the Lobi Store, and as future Featured Episode mission rewards. Potentially you could have a new module for each NPC faction you come across.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    Why not just have an "alien" looking ship, one that belonged to Species 116, and onboard the ship is a Particle Synthesis Generator equipment slot that enables the outward appearance of the vessel to take on faction specific design and hull style details.

Each faction would get one free generator unique to them, and then you could have other non-faction specific generators released via Lock Boxes, from the Lobi Store, and as future Featured Episode mission rewards. Potentially you could have a new module for each NPC faction you come across.

It's not a bad idea. Only issue is that it risks becoming too similar to Holoemitters.
  • Options
    szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There's also the minor detail that it was a modified alien transport ship. For all we know the thing could have been completely unarmed. It was never seen using a single weapon - it never defended itself from Voyager or the Borg in any way.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You misunderstand. The Pandora's Box in question is that if you start handing out a Fed ship for KDF and Romulan players to use, how long before you start seeing Feds flying Warbirds, or KDF Raiders, and then the whole idea and point of factional differences is lost.

As for a fun way of getting the design into the game; Just make it and put it into the game as a Fed ship, C-Store or otherwise. Do a similar stat ship for Roms and KDF, and everyone's happy.

Having a ship with the abilities you're looking for could be very difficult indeed with the current game engine. More than likely, it'd come from a Universal Console, which are typically found on Lockbox, Lobi and C-Store ships.

Now I see. The thing is I wrote this as a way to explain why and how all 3 factions could use this ship, and I also believe it could help explain why it was seen in use by the Federation later in time. And honestly man, we have cloaking ships for all factions...now raiders for Feds, but at the base of this is the fact that i am talking about a ship from an alien species...just like the breen ships, just like the Voth Ships, just like the Hirogen ships. I think i did it logically and I didnt say any of the abilities of this ship except to say that the different skin colours could be called particle synthesis. Sure we see the design later in a battle used "the federation but not as you know it" ... but who is to say that others did not use it as well? we cant say they did, and we cant say they didnt.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    szerontzur wrote: »
    There's also the minor detail that it was a modified alien transport ship. For all we know the thing could have been completely unarmed. It was never seen using a single weapon - it never defended itself from Voyager or the Borg in any way.

indeed you are right, but I would think that since this colony that I am making up has managed to hold off the borg (like the rest of the species did for centuries) that they have some kind of weapons at their disposal. I think it would just give the devs some more poetic license
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    I allow him to speak in my name as well on this topic, so go ahead and use 'we' johngazman.
    That's indeed a Pandora's box we don't want opened in STO.

I have no issue with only Feds. getting the Dauntless. The other 2 factions don't have to be involved. It's obviously a Fed. design (yes, I know it was alien made, but they made it look like a Fed design), so there should really be no issues with only Fed. players getting this one.

how much or little the ship was converted to look like a fed design is never mentioned. In the grand scheme of things is it not possible that there are species that have a slightly similar design philosophy to the feds? And what is more is WHY should only feds get this Dauntless style ship? I can concede that heck yeah it looks Fed...but shes not, the fed tech was only skin deep but to actually retrofit the entire hull shape and placement of the warp nacelles and deflector...surely you cant think that Arturis was capable of doing all of that by himself?
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Actually.... Was this one of the futures where the Klingon Empire eventually made a permanent alliance with the Feds?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The idea of finding some remnants of that species is something I'd be curious to see, as well as there being a way to get that kind of ship, disguise or no.

However, I don't think that adding in the Undine to the story is absolutely necessary to make this work. Just the Borg would be enough for your version.

As for implementation, this could be part of a featured episode, with the ship as a reward like how they did it with Temporal Ambassador.

I like that. Without bring that alternate timeline battle into it, it would be possible for some of that species to be rescued, and possibly rebuild and become a true part of the Federation instead of one individual being a pretender for revenge.

They had some pretty good technology, which could still contribute to the Federation if any remain or could be rescued.
  • Options
    amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's not a bad idea. Only issue is that it risks becoming too similar to Holoemitters.

I was sort of hoping that along with the changes to appearance, that the ship would also be able to change what weapons it had based on what the generator was disguising the vessel as. With some of the tech associated with the new anniversary ships allowing them to change from science and tactical, something like weapon swapping loadouts might actually be feasible too.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • Options
    novapolaris#2925 novapolaris Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    amosov78 wrote: »
    I was sort of hoping that along with the changes to appearance, that the ship would also be able to change what weapons it had based on what the generator was disguising the vessel as. With some of the tech associated with the new anniversary ships allowing them to change from science and tactical, something like weapon swapping loadouts might actually be feasible too.

You know, it's possible that the Federation (and Klingon Empire) could adapt that technology into vessels of their own design for espionage roles. That's actually something I'd love to see, an espionage ship with a similar "cross-faction tech/inspiration" origin to the Avenger and Mogh.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    theoryfive wrote: »
    You know, it's possible that the Federation (and Klingon Empire) could adapt that technology into vessels of their own design for espionage roles. That's actually something I'd love to see, an espionage ship with a similar "cross-faction tech/inspiration" origin to the Avenger and Mogh.

I like the sound of that! I think it could actually work given that we have the Romulan drone ships that do that already. So what about giving the ship Type-less weapons that have a certain ability like 10% chance to ignore shields, but then takes on a secondary ability and look based off of the ship its "mimicking" so plasma it would have a chance to cause DoT? could create a new mechanic and could be a clickable like MVAM for the fed escort...you click a for fed, b for kdf, c for romulan ect...
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Alright so the biggest fault of this idea of mine is that the ship just looks too dang Federation for some people...so how about this:

The ship is like Mystique from X-men...shes roughly the shape of the dauntless kinda, but very rough...but like Mystique it can use the particle synthesis to quickly assume a different shape and look as well as the weapons, shield style, warp readings "Unless I am mistaken the warp signature is federation" -Tuvok

So the ship in its normal state is a blue/black bristly thing with particle synthesis nodes all along the hull (like ablative armour) and with the click of the button it rearranges its skin into the different shapes...for the federation it takes on the look of the Dauntless as seen from Voyager...in the case of the Roms it would look slightly different, but green and the kdf it would look more aggressive and brown.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    how much or little the ship was converted to look like a fed design is never mentioned. In the grand scheme of things is it not possible that there are species that have a slightly similar design philosophy to the feds? And what is more is WHY should only feds get this Dauntless style ship? I can concede that heck yeah it looks Fed...but shes not, the fed tech was only skin deep but to actually retrofit the entire hull shape and placement of the warp nacelles and deflector...surely you cant think that Arturis was capable of doing all of that by himself?

Yeah, but we're basically talking about a ship that is designed to look Fed. I'm talking about the surface here. If Arturis was looking to lure Klignons instead of Voyager, that ship would've had a completely different look.

What I'm saying is - it's probably not a good idea to start giving away ships from one faction to others (even in appearance only), because I think it devalues the factions and destroys the feeling of belonging to a said faction. Not to mention that many of us have and play multiple chars. across all the factions, so it's always good to have something different to look forward to when you switch chars.

Now if we're talking about treating the ship as an alien vessel rather than Fed., that would mean that it will need to have 3 skins (faction specific) and that it would probably go into the Lobi Store or inside a Lockbox, while keeping it's base stats - something akin the temporal ships. That's probably not a bad idea.
    But still since we never saw any other variation of this ship's design besides the Starfleet one, I have really no issues with this being a Fed. exclusive ship. And quite frankly, I don't think that should be a problem to the other 2 factions as well and I believe it wont.
    HQroeLu.jpg