test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Dev Blog: Ships - From Start to Finish

14567810»

Comments

• xblazex#7666 xblazex Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great post @Brandon with all the new ships coming out is there any plans to update or offer a retrofit for the LTS ships before they become completely outdated ...if they are not already?
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Great post @Brandon with all the new ships coming out is there any plans to update or offer a retrofit for the LTS ships before they become completely outdated ...if they are not already?

Why ? The ships are perfectly fine. They even have fleet versions now. :)
  • tehjoneltehjonel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    read the blog again. really good stuff. having more insight into the process that goes into making a new ship helps me appreciate all the great ships that's been released. i also found a new admiration for the ships i currently own.

can't wait to take one of those dyson ships out for a spin.
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Can't wait to learn more about the new ships, they look awesome so far.

I probably would have preferred if rather than having tac mode activate dual heavies if it would have been something more unique like a 3 barreled heavy version of the experimental proton cannon or something with a nice rotating Gatling animation for the pop out cannon points giving it a A10-Warthog kinda feel.

Closest name I can think of would be something like "Twin Tri-linked Proton Gatling Cannons" drop em to either the 45 degree or just to make it it interesting raise em to 90 degrees. They could have been setup to interact with beam and cannon abilities like the experimental proton as well which would be rather nice especially if sub-system targeting was enabled as well. A kinda cool mechanic they could have also added would be if the damage from them ramped up during combat as well for instance it starts out at single cannon or turret damage but rapidly increases to slightly higher than DHC damage if you keep firing on a single target similar to how sensor analysis works.
  • artemisa0kartemisa0k Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    "Variety is the spice of life" Having all the ships follow a set design scheme leads pretty much nowhere. While I agree some elements should be kept or integrated into them all ship designs and technology would and should essentially evolve over time the coloration could arguably change as well due to different materials and tech, as I understand it the dyson tech/material was used do to its superior durability and strength which I would imagine why the look was integrated since they are using a different material ie. wood paneling compared to steel plate would be a fair comparison to why the appearance would change.

As to the other changes like nacelles and other details changing this could be technology related or indeed simply ascetic however ascetic changes are also a essential part of combat for example you are probably a lot more likely to step on a sea slug voluntarily then a lion fish why ? the sea slug looks more benign where the lion fish looks like its gonna cause damage, the same mentality carries over in ship design I would imagine a aggressive powerful appearing ship is probably less likely to be attacked in most situations then one that resembles a freighter although the powerful looking one will probably also have more trouble dealing with others peacefully.

The iconic designs and such are all fine and good however it is also important to remember most of the old designs were brought in before the trekverse was such a dangerous place, the addition of the borg, voth, tholians, undine, elachi and other hostile races into the mix would defiantly necessitate a different approach to ship design and mentality.

I won't be surprised if eventually most of the ships from Star Trek are added and upgraded stat wise to be in the same league as the new designs, but I am really looking forward to new designs as well Gene Roddenberry was amazingly creative in just creating star trek not to mention his other works it would be a shame if the trekverse faded into static obscurity for the sake of maintaining the status quo of x needs to look like x instead of hey wouldn't it be cool if x looked like xyz and ! ?.

I kinda hope the Theta class starship makes a appearance soon and would like to see some more starfleet designs with the saucers and nacelles becoming more integrated. The option to have the starfleet dyson ships nacelles animate and move up and forward slightly almost docking with the saucer section in tac mode would have looked pretty amazing as well.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    huskerklg wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the skin swapping like the Reman prototype or how the ships skin changes with Voth tech either. Especially when there is no choice in the matter. My ship appearance is part of what I like to control also, and that really weakened.

Man, I feel your pain on the subject you discussed throughout the thread. When it gets to you, just repeat to yourself - Cryptic doesn't know how to make Starfleet ships.
    And the skins are weird, a white Klingon ship just seems....stupid. I only hope players will have the option to switch to a classic faction specific skin for these ships.

But that's not the reason I replied, from the part I quoted here I got the impression that you feel like you're stuck with the appearance changes that certain shields/deflectors/engines make when you equip them on your ship. I may be wrong, but just in case you didn't know - you can disable the visuals on those items. When you equip them on your ship, right click on their icon and select 'disable visuals'. That should return your ship to the way it looked before the Reman shield for ex.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • ethangeorcethangeorc Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You just characterized someone as the type who promotes ethnic cleansing as a solution to undesired management choices because they criticized the pitiful creature, also known as "Cryptic", you and an army of sycophants have attached their gibbering maws too.

I'm fairly certain that the huge dump you just took in your own mouth managed to get all over the floor, the walls, and the ceiling; however are you going to surpass your mighty achievement?

Maybe by ignoring your provocation?
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    huskerklg wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the skin swapping like the Reman prototype or how the ships skin changes with Voth tech either. Especially when there is no choice in the matter. My ship appearance is part of what I like to control also, and that really weakened.

Uh, you ARE aware that you can just click 'disable visuals' on the offending items right? It activates when you put the gear on at first, but that can be turned off. It's just an extra skin option that doesn't cost a couple of EC to switch to or from, granted by having the item equipped.
  • insanerandomnesinsanerandomnes Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    gnbibfdkjljgfbdsjbgskj :foams at mouth:
    I AM THE HARBINGER OF HOPE!
    I AM THE SWORD OF THE RIGHTOUS!

dark_dreadnaught_by_insane_randomness-d5z6ydl.jpg
  • blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sla9 wrote: »
    thanks, so it is in event reputation. does it have any hangars
    It's not a carrier, so no hangar.
    Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    Man, I feel your pain on the subject you discussed throughout the thread. When it gets to you, just repeat to yourself - Cryptic doesn't know how to make Starfleet ships.
    And the skins are weird, a white Klingon ship just seems....stupid. I only hope players will have the option to switch to a classic faction specific skin for these ships.

But that's not the reason I replied, from the part I quoted here I got the impression that you feel like you're stuck with the appearance changes that certain shields/deflectors/engines make when you equip them on your ship. I may be wrong, but just in case you didn't know - you can disable the visuals on those items. When you equip them on your ship, right click on their icon and select 'disable visuals'. That should return your ship to the way it looked before the Reman shield for ex.

If you look at the screen shots the Fed verison has different skins, one dark grey and the other like the Obilesk and the Dyson shield skin. So if the fed get at least two, then so should the Klingons and Romulans and that isn't including shield based skins.

I wonder where the primary deflector is? I know you see the secondary deflector when the ship opens up the front.

I also wonder what the ship looks like with two deflectors with visual changes on it, say the borg and dyson deflectors.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    In the blog post about the process behind the design and introduction of new ships shows an interesting image of the ships characteristics, what type of box etc.

It mentions pets.

Just sayin.
  • masterkampmasterkamp Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Very cool ships Cryptic can't wait to fly them in game.:D:cool:
  • huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    As it appears that you are so anti these ships, I can only summise you won't be getting them then. T

No I won't. Your point?
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    With the Tactical mode, I think you will be able to slot cannons, however with the Science mode, I think you'll only be able to slot beams/dual beams.

No, it's not a carrier. The singularity core might be unique to the ships. Then again, it could be the Dyson Singularity core (from the rep).

Dont think so. If you dont want to have an OP ship. I dont really think you will be able to use cannon, that is a no no. Enough will be that you can convert the ship to a science tactical one as you wish, everything else will be made to balance all the systems. And i dont think including a usable cannon in tactical mode will be balanced at all xD.
  • edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There is one thing that should be not altered at all. The Star Trek universe. Making a starfleet ship appear like something else, is bad enough for the game, but i guess for some people, they are not playing a star trek game anymore, just an mmorpgh. Sadly.

If im flying a Federation ship, the shape and style should be a Federation ship, not a weird prototype with weird textures that is not a starfleet ship anymore. Enough is that we can use in-game almost every weapon from any species we want, something that should not be that way, now we are going to fly ships that doesnt look like Federation as well. So, in the end. it makes me wonder, y should i create a Federation toon anymore??? its stupid. Same for that klingon ship.. what the hell. Its like the first time i saw hirogen ships in the game, i was so dissapointed xD, since those were not hirogen ships, and made me wonder what more designs were screwed up by cryptic. The basic of this game is to keep starfleet being starfleet and so on, please dont make this game to evolve in just another mmorpg with no personality at all.
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,596 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well, my take is that ti will be ok as a sci ship, and ok as a tac ship but not stellar at either, much like the chimera. honestly I can't stand these transformer ships. i would much have preferred a set sci ship with a 4/3 layout and MAYBE a console.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • sarvour0sarvour0 Member Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Awesome Blog! Thanks for the inside scoop, Bran! I've been curious about this process for quite some time now.
    Best.
    Dev.
    Blog.
    EVER!!!!!!

Words are inadequate to express the depth of my appreciation. You've reignited my exhilaration and raised my enthusiasm for this game!

To you and the Dev Team; THANK YOU!!
    4073703.jpg
    [SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards[/SIGPIC]Sarvour Shipyards
    =A=Commodore Joshua Daniel Sarvour, S.C.E.
    U.S.S. AKAGI NX-93347, Enterprise-class Battle Cruiser =A= U.S.S. T'KORA'S WRATH NX-110047, Odyssey-class Battle Cruiser

"There Ain't No Grave, Can Hold My Body Down..."

PS - I fully support a T6 Nova, fixing the Nova skins. I am also rooting for a T6 Science Cruiser, that can use Nova/Rhode Island skins.
    T6 Nova/Rhode Island, T6 Oberth & T6 Constellation are needed. Also needed a T6 Science Cruiser, that can wear any Science or Cruiser skin.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I appreciate this informative blog. Good to see the process behind how our starships come into the game.

Regarding the designs, I'll comment upon the conceptual designs shown in Dyson Fed Ship 01. I'm curious about the discussion specific to the Fed Science Destroyer. So what is it about the narrow saucer in the final design that fit the purpose of the starship? I'm curious to know what it was about variants #14 and #15 that fit your design theme that, say, version #5 doesn't?

I guess part of me asks as I'm more drawn to the round saucer of #5. As that says Starfleet to me.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)