test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paying Zen to reduce your daily event cooldown

Comments

• lirokailirokai Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The problem is also the slippery slope. I imagine the Winter Event went well, so their conclusion is 'if we can keep players logging in every day ad nauseam, we'll make much money.'

However, that's strictly looking at metrics and extrapolating without utilizing extraneous data like oh, it was a holiday month, or that the players might normally have lives/ families/ significant others who might want some time as well.

Before, Cryptic, you were competing with other games for my attention. Now you're competing with friends and family, and frankly, you're going to lose. What happened to just creating a fun game and I give you money because it's fun and I enjoy it? Now you'd like me to pay you to skip the pain. What's wrong with this picture?
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Because it has to be done.
    [trollpost]
    Some of you have gone off on a wild tangent based upon a single screencap from the test server. Self aggrandizement is OP. Plz nerf.

Some of you have made wild speculations and cries of doom herein. Can I have some of what you're smoking? Anything which disconnects someone from reality that well has got to be quality.

Others have dogpiled onto this in a show of support for the criers announcing the sky is falling. Way to go! Good job being part of the bleating mindless herd!

Still others have publicly affirmed they will no longer be playing STO if the said game mechanic occurs. Can I plz haz ur stufs?

Still more others have compared the people who own/make STO to some not very nice people. Shame on you! Have you no decency or manners? Oh. Waitaminnit. InterWebs doesn't require manners.

All of the above will still be here playing STO long after this blows over. :D

Crying the sky is falling, again, is OP. Plz nerf.

This is a game, people. Not a lifestyle choice. :rolleyes:
    [/trollpost]

if i were you i wouldnt be so quick to be that arrogant about the idea of support that PWE would keep the game going forever. when the money dries up from these apparent good "ideas" as just another fad, people will realize it at some point and give up, by that point STO will fold.

just dont keep your head in clouds.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • eranederaned Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The pay to win/pay to whatever discussion has been done already, so I'll just ask this.
    Can we pay to have the cooldown removed on the skip mission button too?
    A whole lot of missions are fun, but one or two of them are getting tiresome, because I've gone through them several times getting multiple characters to 50.
    I mean, if we're talking about paying to remove time restrictions on content walls, why not this too?
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014
    For all posters:

At current there is nothing official - there is nothing indicating what events/missions/rep systems etc that will be affected by this. While stuff on tribble usually makes its way to holodeck, there is nothing official about that either. Changes are being make to the daily events - we know this already - what the 'tokens' will do is only speculation. As I said in my OP I will give this over the course of the year to see how things play out. THE MINIMUM you should do is to wait until official word/details are released before making full judgement.

As I stated in my first line of the op - long before someone posted a screenshot - I am interested in your thoughts on the concept in general. Please don't speculate on what cryptic may or may not do beyond the 'general' idea that I proposed in the Op.

I still support any revenue generating idea by cryptic as long as it is not too much of a cash grab and the money goes back into keeping the game developing. Anyone who loves this game should want them to find ways to keep the game going. Remember it is free to pay - someone has to pay or the power goes out. The revenue stream also needs to be somewhat constant- I am sure the devs want to keep getting their weekly or biweekly pay. This is their jobs - while pwe might have a different agenda - the devs have jobs they love and want to keep doing.

I am sure there will be lots more details next week. Brandon has been working very hard, and will I'm sure keep us informed when he can.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    its clear the idea has bypassed internal testing and given the go ahead for tribble testing, would make no sense to abandon the idea mere days before the event. if PWE knew this would provoke a confused response let alone going against the idea of f2p, why did they bother in the first place to put it on tribble or even design it for use? it just doesnt make much sense.

im not saying it is coming, but i am stating my opinion on the subject which was never the same as saying it is coming.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    ...Remember it is free to pay...

LMAO!! :D:P:D

/10 chars
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lirokai wrote: »
    The problem is also the slippery slope. I imagine the Winter Event went well, so their conclusion is 'if we can keep players logging in every day ad nauseam, we'll make much money.'

However, that's strictly looking at metrics and extrapolating without utilizing extraneous data like oh, it was a holiday month, or that the players might normally have lives/ families/ significant others who might want some time as well.

Before, Cryptic, you were competing with other games for my attention. Now you're competing with friends and family, and frankly, you're going to lose. What happened to just creating a fun game and I give you money because it's fun and I enjoy it? Now you'd like me to pay you to skip the pain. What's wrong with this picture?

This is precisely why people are up in arms about this.

It's one thing to make a game more enjoyable or accessible, but that's not what's going on here. Cryptic is going to offer an item for real currency that lets players bypass a system that Cryptic developed. This is akin to the city closing half the lanes of a highway and then charging people for a pass that lets them drive in said closed lanes because they don't want to wait around in traffic that the city itself caused.

Developer creates time-gate.
    Developer realizes time-gate causes friction.
    Developer offers pass to skip time-gate.

How can that not be anything but sleazy and greedy? Cryptic should be ashamed, but they won't be. They'd have to have some shame left.
  • doffingcomradedoffingcomrade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic is going to offer an item for real currency that lets players bypass a system that Cryptic developed.
    That's pretty much a core f2p game concept, though: Make the game awkward and annoying, then charge players for a way to bypass it.
    This is akin to the city closing half the lanes of a highway and then charging people for a pass that lets them drive in said closed lanes because they don't want to wait around in traffic that the city itself caused.
    ...but this actually happens.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • purplegamerpurplegamer Member Posts: 1,015 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's pretty much a core f2p game concept, though: Make the game awkward and annoying, then charge players for a way to bypass it.

...but this actually happens.

I know it does and most people would consider it extortion. ;)
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't mind the tokens if it speeds up my grind. Like many others have stated I'm don't want to see timers extended just to then get people buy the token. I think people will by the token without extending the timers, I myself included.

What we do know is the calendar events are going away in favor of dailies and mark weekend events. What I have said on other posts is I'm not interested in waiting three or four weeks for a bonus mark event. I also stated I was concerned about missions being made dailies that may allow for less time to grind like say mirror universe is a daily you can run one time... basically making it worthless.

The other thing that could happen is things are made a rotating daily like the fleet actions... one day its tour the galaxy the next day its mirror invasion, etc. Not in favor of this either.

The other possibility is that the hourly events are converted into dailies that are intact as they are now but made so you can do them at any point like other dailies. So for the bonus mark event daily you would start the mission wrapper that opens a three hour window and you grind your marks during the window for bonus marks. Same for the one hour mirror invasion, etc. This is not the case though for Tour the Galaxy on tribble so I don't expect this to happen.

I would expect in any of the options that the mentioned token is going to allow you to alleviate the cooldown cycle for one of those mark daily missions so you can do again without waiting. I'm fine with this as long as the daily timing is the equivalent of what we are losing on the calendar event cycle and the daily token shortens this wait between cooldowns.

Bottom line... Lots of possibilities but no real answers until next weeks blogs. We will just have to wait and see.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • pyrogxmk3pyrogxmk3 Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Then the Marks weekend also gets a daily timer on the bonus, and it may as well not exist.
  • badpeoplesuck1badpeoplesuck1 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow this is nothing short of extortion in a online video game. If any of you are okay with this, then I don't know what to say.

This is greed to the extreme, and shows the mentality of the people running this game. How can ANYONE be okay with this idea at ALL.
  • contrarydecisioncontrarydecision Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wow this is nothing short of extortion in a online video game. If any of you are okay with this, then I don't know what to say.

This is greed to the extreme, and shows the mentality of the people running this game. How can ANYONE be okay with this idea at ALL.

Hint: You don't even know what you're talking about. The entirety of the information you have to go on is one screenshot and 11 pages of increasingly wild speculation on a forum already rife with wild speculation.
  • elessymelessym Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's something that makes so much sense that it's almost impossible for it to happen:

A free token/day (non-accumulating) for Gold.

Subscription has been really light on actual benefits, and this could actually make it worthwhile.
    "Participation in PVP-related activities is so low on an hourly, daily, weekly, and monthly basis that we could in fact just completely take it out of STO and it would not impact the overall number of people [who] log in to the game and play in any significant way." -Gozer, Cryptic PvP Dev
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am going to hold judgment for now. Not because it doesn't worry me, but because I want to know what it will ACTUALLY be like. It really depends on how intrusive this ends up being.

I didn't come here to play an Iphone or Facebook game, and if that kind of treatment is what I will see, then I will go. Or if Arc becomes mandatory, then I will go.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • damix4damix4 Member Posts: 608 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Do you think they will really increase cooldowns? They are not stupid, they do have meeting where they talk about this, they know players would be mad. Players are already ready to buy this with current cooldowns.

And of course they need to increase the current profit of this game.. do you think pwe didn't gave them goals for new year? They ordered them to make new features that will increase total profit in order to get bigger budget for this game. And they must do this to keep their jobs. This is business, f2p is business. So this is what we will/could get
  • dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What I really want, for the love of the baby kuvah'magh, is for daily mission timers to reset at a set server time, rather than at intervals based on last-played.

If I actually tried to keep up with my characters' daily timers, across STO and NW, my virtual life's to-do list would be about twenty times more complex than my real life's.

As for pay-to-reset, for the above reason I really can't see myself ever using it. I just do whatever any given character has available when I feel like playing it.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    I am going to hold judgment for now. Not because it doesn't worry me, but because I want to know what it will ACTUALLY be like. It really depends on how intrusive this ends up being.

Agreed. I never judge something until it goes live. Although, I don't think it will change much for most people. See a few new lines in the various windows is all I will ever see of it. I just don't see it affecting Reputation projects or Fleet projects. The only things I can see it changing are the Event Grinds and Hard missions like the Nukara and Deferi Invasion missions.
  • sqwishedsqwished Member Posts: 1,475 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    Isnt it funny how there was no mention of this whilst Dan Stahl was at the helm, but the second hes relieved of his position things change? coincidence? maybe not!
    Oh, it's not broken? We can soon fix that!

• mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Agreed. I never judge something until it goes live. Although, I don't think it will change much for most people. See a few new lines in the various windows is all I will ever see of it. I just don't see it affecting Reputation projects or Fleet projects. The only things I can see it changing are the Event Grinds and Hard missions like the Nukara and Deferi Invasion missions.

Indeed. I could see this new system not being THAT bad. If they put a tag on being able to redo stuff like you said the hard missions from Deferi again, that's not a big deal.

If they start putting 20 hour timers on like...STFs, and then ask a Zen cost or something to do them again for the day, then I could see that be a VERY big problem.

But we don't know. Could be REALLY bad, could be not that bad at all. We don't truly know until it gets here.

PS. I find it a bit amusing they've already moved this thread down to the C-store/Zen/Promotions area of the forum.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ha! Cryptic are turning into a bunch of scumbag Steve's.

Guarantee somewhere down the line there will be tokens to increase the dilithium cap for a day.
  • opo98opo98 Member Posts: 435 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Indeed. I could see this new system not being THAT bad. If they put a tag on being able to redo stuff like you said the hard missions from Deferi again, that's not a big deal.

If they start putting 20 hour timers on like...STFs, and then ask a Zen cost or something to do them again for the day, then I could see that be a VERY big problem.

But we don't know. Could be REALLY bad, could be not that bad at all. We don't truly know until it gets here.

PS. I find it a bit amusing they've already moved this thread down to the C-store/Zen/Promotions area of the forum.

I hope they don't increase any timers. If they don't, this will be a really good way to get my alts back in business since I wouldn't have to wait a month and a half to finish my reputation grind on every toon I make.

Really the rep grind is game ruiningly painful for me since I can't play reliably, so if I can use that STF dilithium to speed up my reputation projects all my mothballed alts will be singing glory hallelujah.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    if i were you i wouldnt be so quick to be that arrogant about the idea of support that PWE would keep the game going forever. when the money dries up from these apparent good "ideas" as just another fad, people will realize it at some point and give up, by that point STO will fold.

just don't keep your head in clouds.

At 52 years old, both of my feet are planted firmly on the ground, TYVM.

As to being arrogant, I'll admit to it publicly in front of witnesses. Unlike some other people around here.

I'm not interested in the game going forever because everything has to end eventually. As a lifelong Star Trek fan, I've been through something ending in Star Trek many times before. So, STO ending someday will not be the end of the world for me.

Besides, with all the complaining you do around here about everything, you're the perfect example of my point. Haven't seen you post anything positive in a very very long time. Yet somehow you're still playing STO and posting here.

Thank you for being the proof of my assertions. Well done! Bravo!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm going to assume since this thread got buried into the c-store/zen forums that this is definitely coming or it would have just remained a discussion topic.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    damix4 wrote: »
    Do you think they will really increase cooldowns? They are not stupid, they do have meeting where they talk about this, they know players would be mad.

damix4 wrote: »
    They are not stupid

Yes... yes they are. They don't CARE about whether the players are mad or not. They don't UNDERSTAND why players are mad. They don't play this game. They are either being micro-managed by PWE to turn the game into an asian-grinder-MMO (as has been explicitly commented on in past blogs/comments) or have simply been told basic outlines of what they need to do and are coming up with the individual methods of torture themselves. They are doing this intentionally. They have a large audience and are destroying it for short-term profits to appease their new bosses. Only question is are they being directed with commands from above, or simply being given deadlines and ultimatums to "do this or the money stops"?
  • tikonovtikonov Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lol, they moved this to the c-store forum so everyone stops reading it :P
  • newromulan1newromulan1 Member Posts: 2,229
    edited January 2014
    tikonov wrote: »
    lol, they moved this to the c-store forum so everyone stops reading it :P

While I don't like to see threads of mine essentially buried, I also did not like the way the speculation and accusations were getting out of hand without any official word on what this change - if it happens- will do.

Until such time that they release hard details this is probably the best place for it.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While I don't like to see threads of mine essentially buried, I also did not like the way the speculation and accusations were getting out of hand without any official word on what this change - if it happens- will do.

Until such time that they release hard details this is probably the best place for it.
    Here's my GUESS:

for players who don't use the feature, nothing will change, except an extra UI button.

players who do use the feature will be able to do dailies as often as they pay the zen.

the cost will probably be high enough to make it useless for farming anything but marks and obviously, event items..
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    for players who don't use the feature, nothing will change, except an extra UI button.

Everything in the history of Cryptic and the history of PWE tells us that things will change. The only reason this is there is because they are intending to increase the average player's grind, and this is the pre-emptive money-making scheme to justify it. They've even made comments about PWE and the asian grinder MMO and how Cryptic was incorporating those elements into STO. There's also the new hand on the wheel that comes out and says he's all for grinding. The signs are all very clear.

The players who don't use this feature will NOT remain unaffected. They will be affected. The entire POINT is to affect them to the point they take action. Cryptic hopes this action will be to spend real world money. The real action is people will leave the game completely.

As evidenced with Cryptic's utterly baffled response to the community outrage at the need to grind for anniversary rewards right on the heels of an annoying holiday grind and right before word about changes to other systems that makes the game more grindy. They truly don't understand why we don't want to toil mindlessly repeatedly and pay Cryptic for the right to wait for timegates and grind mechanics. They honestly thought we'd enjoy it.