test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Jem'Hadar Dreadnought Carrier

novascotiusnovascotius Member Posts: 7 Arc User
edited January 2014 in Federation Discussion
Hi All,

Please could you take a look at the following build and let me know what you think?

http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=scotiuseng3_0

It's a beam-boat JHDC build, currently set up as an Engineer. You may notice to deliberate mistake of there being no Warp Core at the moment (Something which I'm doing more research on currently!).

It's mainly for PvE, as on PvP, I think the JHDC may be a little too ponderous to be of much use!

Also, would I be better running this build as an Engineer, or as a Tactical?

Post edited by novascotius on

Comments

• Options
    blonckebloncke Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I run the JMDC with my engineer as well. I don't have access to a high-end fleet and don't have the Dilithium to purchase that much gear, but I can tell you what I use nevertheless. My setup is just a lot more economical. :D

I have pretty much exactly the same BOFF layout (except I use a Science team instead of a Tractor beam). I use 6 Polaron beams, the Jem'Hadar set, and the wide angle torpedo launcher. It allows me to use the torps while broadsiding. :P

My consoles are pretty much the same, but I use the Polaron dmg consoles and the zero point as tactical consoles. I didn't use the Flow console and used the Dominion command console instead. I also use the Plasmonic leech. When using beams there's really no reason to ever not use it.

A nice item to have as device is the subspace field modulator too. That and some batteries. :)

Considering the crazy amount of fleet gear and high end expensive modules you put on this, I'm a little surprised you didn't use the dominion console combination. :)

Since you didn't mention it yet, I use a Scap W->S Core. My power settings are 100-50-25-25. I have a 2nd preset that puts more power to shields, just in case I get focused or something.

I'm not 100% on my build, I would have to log in to check it. It seems somewhat similar, although, I have less engineering skills and more maxed out ones instead. You seemed to have gone a little more across the board.

I think you should at least max out attack patterns. When using the very rare DOFF you can reduce the cooldown so you always have APB up. It's arguably the strongest skill (for PvE) in the game.
  • Options
    novascotiusnovascotius Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hi bloncke, thanks for the reply.

I don't have enough Dilithium to purchase all of those items either, but this is more of a long term build!

How do you find that the Engineer character itself plays with the build? Do you find the captain abilities indispensable? I'm still really torn on whether to go Engineer or Tactical!
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I like to play quite offensive. I find that it plays very much like a traditional cruiser though. I would say you probably put out the same damage as a tactical captain but because of your engineering abilities you're just much more resilient.

Normally power suffers when using a lot of beams, which means damage goes down. Your engineering EPS and Nadion skills help a great deal keeping that up. At the same time your RSF and MW add much to the ships survivability.

I would say the JHDC is a bit too slow and turns a bit too slow to really be a great Tactical ship. You want something a little faster that can just turn its hull to the enemy and unload. I even use a DOFF to reduce my evasive maneuvers cooldown, it's that bad. :P

Personally, I don't think you will get more damage out of it with a tactical captain. Maybe you will get a slightly higher burst, but the beauty of broadsiding and beams is that you can keep sustained damage on targets pretty much 95% of the STF.

Your engineering skills allow you to cruise right in to the middle of the hostile group and turn on FAW while keeping power levels almost maxed. With APB3 up as well, you just cut through things. They melt. It's amazing. :P
  • Options
    chaseling94chaseling94 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I have flown the jemmy dread using a phased polaron broadside build. basically focued on polaron damage.. then I switched to ap. then ap dhc's then I gave up. I couldn't find a build I liked for it.. nothing replaces my baby :) (Oddyssy Science Cruiser U.S.S. Le'Staria) :)
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    You're right that if you like science ships, the JHDC probably isn't for you. It's a very different type of flying. If you're already used to broadsiding and you like the big cruiser play style, you'll like the JHDC.

I feel it plays like a big more offensively minded cruiser. :P

Novascotius, if you don't have the resources just yet, have a look at the items I use. They are mostly episode rewards, upgraded for a bit of Lobi. The space set is a MkXII set and the weapons are MkXI but have a nice added bonus on JH ships. It's quite effective together as they all buff each other. The space set gives 13% extra damage and the Dominion beams have a chance to remove the targets buffs. It's got nice synergy. I'm sure there are individual items that are better, but I like the synergy of it all.

Most of the consoles are reputation rewards, as you know. MkXI consoles and so are quite easy and cheap on the market. Could use those until you get fleet ones. For warp core, a good one to start with is the one you get from the Dyson introduction mission.