test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Season 8 Dev Blog #41

pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
edited January 2014 in Galactic News Network [PC]
Lead Content Designer Charles Gray shares details about the upcoming revamp of the events system in this entry of the Season 8 News Dev Blog series.

Link to the blog.
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Whoa!!

Oh darn, haven't read it yet...

Edit: Read it!

Edit2: Giving a response is OP, so I nerfed it.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So, Tour of the Galaxy will be a daily event. Cool. Now tell us what the daily rewards will be...
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Looks good. Can't wait. Excuse me, must go read the new Words of Radiance excerpts.
  • mike1hadfieldmike1hadfield Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The only thing I'm concerned about is the Mirror Event.

It's a large portion of the playerbases favourite way to level up alts, a weekend event of mirror would be amazing as we could have a levelling weekend - but turning it into a standard event with a 1h cooldown would make it completely useless and kill it off.

I really hope you go for the former!
  • dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about the current Bonus Marks Events? It will hurt small fleet progress if these get made into a weekend-only thing.
  • schneemann83schneemann83 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Still can't see any reason to remove the current hourly events - a weekend once in a while for one type of marks is no replacement for the flexibility of the hourly events. Why not just add the new weekend-events as addition.
  • mamif3mamif3 Member Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Mirror invasion and dilithium mining. What will happen to them....

Dilithium mining bonus up all the time with the daily? A dilithum mining weekend event is stupid.

Mirror invasion up at all times and remove the dilithum rewards?? Wondering how I will level alts. The missions are great but not after your 5th character.
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Would be nice if the devs bother to answer this, but I know you wont, anyways, the problems with the hourly events, it is that they are hard to find, newer players don't have a clue about where to go, what to do, who to contact, these hourly events are like Bigfoot, everybody talks about them, but no one has seen one.

We need to be able to have a link where we can click like we do for normal PVE events and have some kind of slot that reads (HORLY EVENT click here). The the events needs to give us the opportunity to click something that will warped us there so we don't spend 3 hours running through the galaxy trying to find out where the heck is XY22
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

It's a large portion of the playerbases favourite way to level up alts, a weekend event of mirror would be amazing as we could have a levelling weekend - but turning it into a standard event with a 1h cooldown would make it completely useless and kill it off.

It isn't even the leveling. VAs are doing it for the expertise. The amount needed after you get to 50 to do all the reps and then purchase rep items is high.
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • twamtwam Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Interesting. Looks like a reinvention of the Weekend Events I used to see in Guild Wars 1. Liked those, and these did what is the intention here.
  • mutualcoremutualcore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dabelgrave wrote: »
    What about the current Bonus Marks Events? It will hurt small fleet progress if these get made into a weekend-only thing.

just wait for bonus mark weekend once a month and stock up...just kidding...?
  • kirimuffinkirimuffin Member Posts: 692 Arc User
    edited January 2014

Beat me to it.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I call it bull, we need every day fleet-marks not 1 or 2 times a month, same with expertise, if you doing the rep-system you need the marks every day and not 1x a month.

And again cryptic is "fixing" something thats not broken...
  • trekkiemelissatrekkiemelissa Member Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Like a lot of people have asked, what is going to become of the Mirror Invasion Event. A lot of people in the fleet I am look forward to this event. We do speed runs of mirror to try to see how many runs we can get in an hour along with how much dilithium we made during that hour.

Also in regards to the events. Not everyone can be on during the weekend. You should have events on the weekends but also have events that go on during the week.
  • wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would prefair to keep the events as there n and week end ones then if i cant log on at weekend cos im visiting family then i still have a chance to earn extra in the week
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • mikeflmikefl Member Posts: 861 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hmmm.. not sure I'm going to like this change... sounds more like a nerf overall.
    "We were able to confirm our suspicions by data mining player habits and seeing that very few of the hourly events are being played regularly. As a result, we want to refocus the event system to be about bringing the community together. To accomplish this, we are going to increase the rewards dramatically. The recent Dyson Sphere Weekend is a great example of our change in direction. By giving between a 50% and 100% bonus to mark rewards, we saw lots of players playing together and participating in the event.

To compensate for the increased rewards, we will be running these events less frequently. "

All these blog posts lately have been very heavy on fluff and light on the details. With a numbers guy taking the helm as EP I hope we can get more details as opposed to the fluff we keep getting.

I can say now that if you have to wait three or four weeks for a bonus fleet mark weekend that it is going to suck royally. I'm just glad that I ground out the epohhs at the winter event to have all the marks I need to complete the reps on my 14 toons. we just need to hope that mirror invasion isn't taking a nerf to once a day.
    Gold Sub since March 2010
    Lifetime Sub since June 2010
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah its not to get to VA or LG per say its all that expertise like for myself across all my characters I have 100's of millions of expertise but still I have many characters who suffer from not having what they need because where a lot of alts have 5-8 million expertise each it doesn't do any good on the ones that are newer.

Another thing is that the difference in space and ground for expertise isn't balanced you get like a ratio of around 1k to 1 expertise between space and ground. Is like for me I have an assembly line of marauders so all these tour of the galaxy and academy and such I don't bother with them because I have a system that doesn't involve them to get my dilithium so thats why I don't care much for most of those hourly events.
  • gabrielinwestmingabrielinwestmin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So... Why did the ARC launcher today automatically change itself to the beta version without permission? I am not exactly a fan of beta software. And I did NOT sign up for the beta participation. I might have to resort to finding the old original launcher without ARC if Cryptic insists on putting beta software as a mandatory update on my machine :mad:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Greywolf Taskforce - Officer of the Fleet
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So... Why did the ARC launcher today automatically change itself to the beta version without permission? I am not exactly a fan of beta software. And I did NOT sign up for the beta participation. I might have to resort to finding the old original launcher without ARC if Cryptic insists on putting beta software as a mandatory update on my machine :mad:

In your STO file in your computer there is a STO.exe that you can link to the desktop and you can launch the game from there bypassing ARC.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • mikoto123amikoto123a Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Not sure about this - As long as we can still earn the basic rewards during the week it should be OK.

Problem is that some of us can't always play through the weekend :eek:
  • jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Recently in Season 8.5's Blog it was revealed that Cryptic is planning a overhaul of the Event Calender's Hourly Events. The Blog was fairly vague on the specifics of what would and wouldn't happen with each of the events.

I personally think that their new weekend events idea is a fantastic one. However I also do not believe that it should replace the hourly events entirely. I think that weekend events should be in addition to hourly events to promote a overall good experience over a diversified playerbase. For instance some people partake in religious activities on Sunday and their ability to play is fairly limited, other people may work primarily on weekends. The possibilities are numerous.

I do however believe that the hourly events need a serious looking at with regards to modern functionality. For example the academy events have a fairly light turn out from what I have seen while at SFA. The crafting event is most likely all but obsolete due to the fact that crafting in its essence is dead and dated. I can't imagine that the Vault Shuttle Event gets a high turn out either due to the fact that it is a shuttle queue and the majority of players don't like shuttle gameplay when faced with other options. I am unable to gauge the turn out of the multiphasic event, however since the data samples and particle traces that you get are primarily used in crafting, and like I said earlier it is a dated concept.

There are a couple events that I would think would have a medium turn out/participation. These would be Tour the Universe and Officer Reports. Tour the Universe used to have a much higher turn out than it currently does due to the fact that its rewards were severely limited in terms of earning potential. I think that if this were somehow fixed to make it so players could once again use this as viable way of producing income, that it would benefit once more from a higher turn out. Officer Reports is a foundry based event which gives some extra dilithium to players who complete missions during the allotted time. Personally I think this is a good idea as it helps promote foundry missions and authors. However I think that the rewards that it could give could be increased to help provide some incentive. Perhaps a scaling marks reward based on the length of the mission while completed during this hour could do wonders to increase the turn out of the mission.

Then there are the major turn out events which give good rewards for time spent, Bonus Marks Hours, Dilithium Mining Event, and Mirror Universe Incursion. Bonus Marks events should stay as an hourly event as well as a potential weekend event in my opinion, however an hourly event on a weekend event shouldn't result in bonus bonus marks, the effect should be applied only once. The dilithium mining event is nice for new players to easily get some dilithium, plus they can get a free transwarp there so it really is time efficient for them. My one and only gripe with the dilithium mining event is its discrimination against players who only mine vip mining claims. The 50% more dilithium earned bonus is only applied to normal miners, instead of vip. This is almost insulting, these claims are solely obtainable via lockbox opening, I would understand not the full 50% but at least give us something for helping support your revenue by opening boxes, I think 25% would be fair. Mirror Universe is one of my favorite events, it always has a huge turn out across the levels. I would like to see it become a permanent queue with a nerfed dilithium reward for queues completed outside of the event hour, runs completed inside the event hour would be rewarded normally.

Some events that I would like to see overall whether or not in the form of hourly events or weekend events would be bonus cxp, bonus sp, bonus exp, and the like. I think that they would be overall well accepted by the playerbase.

I am looking forward, albeit a bit nervous to see what kind of changes Cryptic has in store for us.
    edited January 2014
    ^^^ This I like everything you said... I think the popular events should still remain on a daily calendar cycle with special weekends added.
  • longasclongasc Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »
    I call it bull, we need every day fleet-marks not 1 or 2 times a month, same with expertise, if you doing the rep-system you need the marks every day and not 1x a month.

Unfortunately that is what I am thinking as well.

Effectively they want to prevent active players to get multiple bonus rewards per day.
  • rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Devils advocate time.

Is it not a good thing to take away sweet spots? That way you get a more steady queue pop vs only seeing certain queues pop at only bonus hour.

I suspect this will increase overall volume of people ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

Just saying.
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • f8explorer#7814 f8explorer Member Posts: 1,328 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    bones1970 wrote: »

I have to agree with this. The hourly event has been what has allowed the small fleet I'm in to actually grind those marks to get us where we are.

Toss in that XP is needed for both REP and fleet advancement. So, when I'm starting to run low .... Mirror was great for this as the missions we normally are forced to grind ... DON'T GIVE GOOD XP .... and frankly, DOFFing is NOT my bag of things I like to do in this game.

Most of what I enjoy gives low XP ... except for mirror event.
    Joint Forces Commander ... / ... proud member of ... boq botlhra'ghom / AllianceCenCom!
    " We stand TOGETHER and fight with HONOR!"

U.S.S. Maelstrom, NCC-71417 (Constitution III-class/flagship) --- Fleet Admiral Hauk' --|-- Dahar Master Hauk --- I.K.S. qu'In 'an bortaS (D7-class / flagship)
  • codewarrior316codewarrior316 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I like the idea of weekend bonuses, although I did not partake in the dyson weekend - didn't "need" to for marks and running around shooting each dino once in an instance for dil hardly seemed like fun.

I don't really like the idea of the removal of the hourly's but its hard to be fair with the sparse details. Once I've got rep t5 on all my toons (which won't be long) whats the point to logging in for a rep marks weekend, etc.? or once there are no daily hourly's, for the entire week?

Even with huge dil bonuses there is only so much I am going to play on the weekend and overall would probably play less with the details so far. Maybe not such a bad thing anyway.
  • alpha8no0nealpha8no0ne Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I find the idea of doing more regular weekend events to be great! I just wanted to post to show approval in case you devs are around to read it. I feel you don't get enough thanks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really hope that they will elaborate more, especially when it comes to Fleet Marks. What is going to happen? We going to see an overall increase in base rewards? Fleet System adjustment?

I don't like the idea of a Fleet Mark bonus weekend, because it's an overall reduction of daily intake for the sake of a small boost for a few hours during the weekend when this officer is in play. It would be better if they revised the Fleet system so projects are based off fleet size. Because right now Fleet Mark queues are dead, especially on the Klingon side and to reduce incentive is just going to hurt fleets progress.
    edited January 2014
    Devils advocate time.

Is it not a good thing to take away sweet spots? That way you get a more steady queue pop vs only seeing certain queues pop at only bonus hour.

I suspect this will increase overall volume of people ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME.

Just saying.

I think we will see fewer people logging in daily and logging in more often for weekend events. As it is now the events are random and scattered throughout the day causing me to log in multiple times a day. Depending on the changes I will most likely log in for those times the things I need to do are available.

I hope it keeps people in more often as you say but I don't think that will be the case. I think there are too many queues as it is with fewer missions getting all the attention. I don't know the answer to solve that problem but I think lowering rewards for most of the week isn't the answer.