test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

let us create custom objects !!!

stanojoski1stanojoski1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
few days ago Distant Cousins released the movie created in STO. Most parts were shot in foundry missions created for that purpose.

*** DEDICATED TO ALL STAR TREK FANS ***
Star Trek - Distant Cousins - The movie
http://youtu.be/f0Qu4cVCqUo

I want to suggest few things that would be nice to have in foundry that prevented me to create much better movie

Escape pods
Federation ships (all of them)
Different federation ship interiors (bridges, engineering, quarters)
NPC limit is way too small for creating big scenes (missions also)
load costumes (this was existing)
timed actions and/or emotions (like.. in 1 minute to salute)
Fleet starbase
Custom flags and banners (We need that for Fleet)

at the end.. give us chance to create custom objects (gamer's generated Library)
let anyone create an object and then save it in STO Foundry library.

thanks,
Toni
Post edited by stanojoski1 on

Comments

• Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They won't be able to allow that. Too much room for abuse.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    well.. we as gamer's are limited coz of some possibility of abuse. Even chat has possibility of abuse, but it is still here.
    Cryptic can make some system to prevent the abuse. that is quite simple. It would be much interesting if the game's can create objects.. missions, movies.. etc

Think about it Cryptic
  • Options
    galadimangaladiman Member Posts: 346 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Um, there is semi-uncontrollable abuse (ie, chat), and there is abuse that could threaten the intellectual property of the franchise (ie, duplication of story content, use of other trademark IP content that could be grounds for a lawsuit, like using Disney characters in a Foundry mission, other examples abound.)

There is stuff you cannot control, and there is stuff you CAN control. This, they can, and will , control.

Working within boundaries is the genesis of creativity. Poets who write in free verse without first understanding Shakespeare's sonnets' strict construction are missing the point.
    Please reconsider ARC. Please make it optional, at the least. PLEASE.
    It seems the vast majority of your most active players (forum regulars) hate the idea... and while that's a small subset of the playerbase, I think it's an important constituency.
    THE PLAYERS DO NOT WANT THIS.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    that just kills the fun and lots of great stories :(
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    my "movie" would be much better if i had option to create my own objects :(
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    If your story is strong enough it will endure the limitations of your medium and even transcend them. In my opinion, to be successful in the Foundry you have to be flexible enough to figure out how to get done what you want to get done despite the limitations or ingenious enough to find a workaround.

I'll give you a small example. When the Foundry first started we did not have the ability to despawn NPCs. Couldn't get rid of them at all. I wanted to have a scene where you confront a villain, talk to her for a bit, and then she beams away to a ship in orbit (without a fight). Obviously, I couldn't do exactly that. So I worked on it for a bit and changed the story slightly so you go and confront her, she beams in a bunch of thugs and says "go ahead, make my day." However, the authorities then arrive in greater numbers and say "both of you are causing trouble, you had better leave." So then you beam up, and on the next map your BOFF says they detected the villain also transporting to a nearby ship.

We will never have 100 percent freedom to do anything we want in the Foundry. Just not going to happen. We gotta figure out how to do the best you can with the limitations we have. Every time I see a review that says "This was better than a Cryptic mission" or "This felt just like an episode of Star Trek," it lets me know that we are all doing an incredibly good job of it.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It would be cool if Cryptic could get free help from the community in tagging and creating assets from the baked in maps. There is the will and know how within the community and in a sense we already work for Cryptic as content creators.
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.
  • Options
    adverberoadverbero Member Posts: 2,045 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'd love it if STO could get something akin to the G.E.C.K system , but i think drogyn is right, Its up to us to do what we can with what we have, some authors are phenominal at doing this , i'm very jealous
    solar_approach_by_chaos_sandwhich-d74kjft.png

These are the Voyages on the STO forum, the final frontier. Our continuing mission: to explore Pretentious Posts, to seek out new Overreactions and Misinformation , to boldly experience Cynicism like no man has before.......
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    adverbero wrote: »
    I'd love it if STO could get something akin to the G.E.C.K system , but i think drogyn is right, Its up to us to do what we can with what we have, some authors are phenominal at doing this , i'm very jealous
    I think the GECK is the tool Bethesda use to make the games. That's why it's so powerful.
    STO will never release their editor, as it's not made for us, and it could probably be used to cheat and other things.

Also, I think editor like the GECK is simply too powerful for people like me. I can't design a texture, and thing like that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    I will say this though, I wish we lived in a world where MMO devs could give us unlimited design tools without having to worry about people inserting inappropriate, exploitative or copywrite infringing material into their game. Even though I'm like erei1 in that these tools are just simple enough for me (tried my hand at modding other games, I'm rubbish at it), I do wish we could have all those features for those that would use them. But in the real world where we know people do these things, I don't see it happening :(
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    voicesdarkvoicesdark Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There really is no reason why they couldn't add user created objects as long as the objects where submitted to a review and approval process and that they met all quality requirements. It's not like you'd be able to create a whole ship or anything like that as that would need approval from CBS, but really there shouldn't be any restrictions on objects as long as they meet all requirements and guidelines.

User generated content and User generated objects are becoming more mainstream in the gaming industry (most commonly PC games) so there's really no reason for Cryptic not to jump on the bandwagon.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    thegreendragoon1thegreendragoon1 Member Posts: 1,872 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    voicesdark wrote: »
    There really is no reason why they couldn't add user created objects as long as the objects where submitted to a review and approval process and that they met all quality requirements. It's not like you'd be able to create a whole ship or anything like that as that would need approval from CBS, but really there shouldn't be any restrictions on objects as long as they meet all requirements and guidelines.

User generated content and User generated objects are becoming more mainstream in the gaming industry (most commonly PC games) so there's really no reason for Cryptic not to jump on the bandwagon.

Cryptic isn't a large company. The STO team only has 50 devs at most. I think it's extremely unlikely that they would pull someone to approve and import user-generated models. Simply put, the benefit would be severely outweighed by the cost.
  • Options
    lincolninspacelincolninspace Member Posts: 1,843 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    voicesdark wrote: »

There are 2 problems. 1. Modding an offline game hurts no one but this is not the case in an mmo.

2. It costs money to hire somebody to review all that ugc. Unless the ugc items were reviewed by the community itself.....

Correct meif I am wrong but do not games like Everquest and Second life allow users to craft new items?
    A TIME TO SEARCH: ENTER MY FOUNDRY MISSION at the RISA SYSTEM
    Parallels: my second mission for Fed aligned Romulans.