test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: Hourly event change mentioned in Season 8.5 overview blog

lexusk19lexusk19 Member Posts: 1,408 Arc User
If hourly things are going away, what will happen to Mirror Invasion?!? That is pretty much the only way I make expertise for the huge amount of reputation grinding...
1e3sni150tar.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    lexusk19 wrote: »
    If hourly things are going away, what will happen to Mirror Invasion?!? That is pretty much the only way I make expertise for the huge amount of reputation grinding...

That will probably get switched to the PvE queue. Which for MI is not a bad thing.

I'm far more worried about losing mark happy hour.

Small fleets in particular use it a lot to make fleet marks.
  • Options
    sudoku7sudoku7 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    They said they would be moving a lot of them over to a Daily setup instead. Time will tell as we get closer.
  • Options
    rinksterrinkster Member Posts: 3,549 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sudoku7 wrote: »
    They said they would be moving a lot of them over to a Daily setup instead. Time will tell as we get closer.

Yeah, basically the devil will be in the details.

Thought strikes me though.

Remember a while back Q was giving away CXP boosts.

You had to go see him and then the boost would be applied for a set amount of time.

Something similar might work for this.

A daily mission wrapper. You pick it up, all your makrs are doubled for the next 60 minutes.

That actually would work better than the current system. Way more flexible.
  • Options
    darthwoodarthwoo Member Posts: 371 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sudoku7 wrote: »

Lovely. Because the daily format works SO well for fleet actions lately.
  • Options
    nobletnoblet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So... we'll only be able to join Mirror queue once a day? So they want to make wait time so long that nobody will be able to run mirror again...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait what? They're getting rid of hourly events? They're a staple of the game. The only one I don't like is the crafting one.

And I like that you can do some of the hourly events multiple times in a day if you're around for them.
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Wait what? They're getting rid of hourly events? They're a staple of the game. The only one I don't like is the crafting one.

And I like that you can do some of the hourly events multiple times in a day if you're around for them.

No, not getting rid of them, they are restructuring how the calendar will work. Some of the hourly things will be made into daily events, and others will be made into weekend events.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    No, not getting rid of them, they are restructuring how the calendar will work. Some of the hourly things will be made into daily events, and others will be made into weekend events.

Which will be daily or weekend? I bet the good ones like MI. The ones with 20 hour cooldown are fine as daily instead like mining, and actually I'd prefer it as daily any time I want.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Recently in Season 8.5's Blog it was revealed that Cryptic is planning a overhaul of the Event Calender's Hourly Events. The Blog was fairly vague on the specifics of what would and wouldn't happen with each of the events.

I personally think that their new weekend events idea is a fantastic one. However I also do not believe that it should replace the hourly events entirely. I think that weekend events should be in addition to hourly events to promote a overall good experience over a diversified playerbase. For instance some people partake in religious activities on Sunday and their ability to play is fairly limited, other people may work primarily on weekends. The possibilities are numerous.

I do however believe that the hourly events need a serious looking at with regards to modern functionality. For example the academy events have a fairly light turn out from what I have seen while at SFA. The crafting event is most likely all but obsolete due to the fact that crafting in its essence is dead and dated. I can't imagine that the Vault Shuttle Event gets a high turn out either due to the fact that it is a shuttle queue and the majority of players don't like shuttle gameplay when faced with other options. I am unable to gauge the turn out of the multiphasic event, however since the data samples and particle traces that you get are primarily used in crafting, and like I said earlier it is a dated concept.

There are a couple events that I would think would have a medium turn out/participation. These would be Tour the Universe and Officer Reports. Tour the Universe used to have a much higher turn out than it currently does due to the fact that its rewards were severely limited in terms of earning potential. I think that if this were somehow fixed to make it so players could once again use this as viable way of producing income, that it would benefit once more from a higher turn out. Officer Reports is a foundry based event which gives some extra dilithium to players who complete missions during the allotted time. Personally I think this is a good idea as it helps promote foundry missions and authors. However I think that the rewards that it could give could be increased to help provide some incentive. Perhaps a scaling marks reward based on the length of the mission while completed during this hour could do wonders to increase the turn out of the mission.

Then there are the major turn out events which give good rewards for time spent, Bonus Marks Hours, Dilithium Mining Event, and Mirror Universe Incursion. Bonus Marks events should stay as an hourly event as well as a potential weekend event in my opinion, however an hourly event on a weekend event shouldn't result in bonus bonus marks, the effect should be applied only once. The dilithium mining event is nice for new players to easily get some dilithium, plus they can get a free transwarp there so it really is time efficient for them. My one and only gripe with the dilithium mining event is its discrimination against players who only mine vip mining claims. The 50% more dilithium earned bonus is only applied to normal miners, instead of vip. This is almost insulting, these claims are solely obtainable via lockbox opening, I would understand not the full 50% but at least give us something for helping support your revenue by opening boxes, I think 25% would be fair. Mirror Universe is one of my favorite events, it always has a huge turn out across the levels. I would like to see it become a permanent queue with a nerfed dilithium reward for queues completed outside of the event hour, runs completed inside the event hour would be rewarded normally.

Some events that I would like to see overall whether or not in the form of hourly events or weekend events would be bonus cxp, bonus sp, bonus exp, and the like. I think that they would be overall well accepted by the playerbase.

I am looking forward, albeit a bit nervous to see what kind of changes Cryptic has in store for us.
  • Options
    macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited January 2014
    I think this is going to kill weekday activity or at least diminish it. Lots of people log in for the bonus hours and then hang around a bit. I can see most players logging in during the weekend enough to stockpile marks and then logging in during the week to run daily projects.

This of course also screws up people who can't log in during the weekend and reduces the window for bonus marks. You will probably only be able to get bonus marks for 1 particular rep each weekend (if it runs every weekend) and will have your rep progression slowed.

Don't really see the improvement here but I do see a bunch of downsides.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    well we should all keep an eye out for it when it hits tribble and comment on it to them
  • Options
    ggg247ggg247 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I really like the hourly events. I look forward to the Fleet Marks and Tour the Universe events, and run them regularly. I was hoping they'd add some new hourlies rather than get rid of them altogether (a Defera Invasion one would have been nice).

The Academy event was also a good one, as long as there weren't too many people there at once.
  • Options
    cyckathcyckath Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Torn as often I play most during the week (couple of hours after getting kids asleep) and rarely have time on the weekend :(
  • Options
    cybermuddcybermudd Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree with this. The hourlies keep things moving. Some should be eliminated and others can be extended or new events can be added. I like the weekend idea; however, the events should not be exclusive for Friday to Monday as some players may not be able to participate.
  • Options
    caeloaeturnumcaeloaeturnum Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I agree, especially in regards to the Mirror Invasion queue. I'm not big on playing missions to level alternate characters, as I've already been through them enough times to be bored with them. The Mirror Invasion is fun and allows me to quickly level my alternates. Considering I can normally run the Mirror Invasion 4-6 times when it's active, a daily mission rewarding triple experience/expertise would be a good way to go about it. As for the crafting, Vault shuttle, multiphasic, Tour the Universe, and Academy events, they can be removed entirely for all I care. I don't craft anymore, I ran the Vault event once and disliked it, I can do just as well outside the multiphasic event as in it, and Tour the Universe and Academy events just aren't worth the time investment. As for the dilithium mining hourly event, I could see it being turned into a daily mission (as it's basically a daily now anyway). They could turn the Asteroid Mining mission into an Asteroid Mining (Daily) mission, or make it like the fleet action missions. One mission (that we currently have) granting experience points and expertise and another daily mission rewarding 50% more dilithium. I would like to see your suggestion for a bonus commendation experience event implemented. I love doing DOFF missions, especially on my Klingon, and the bonus CXP would help me level my marauding faster.
  • Options
    jack24bau3rjack24bau3r Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Thank you both for your replies and feedback to my analysis and suggestion. Hopefully Branflakes will take a look at this thread and pass it along to the decision makers.
  • Options
    capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Have you noticed also that Mirror runs only once every 24 hours now?
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    paspinall wrote: »
    well we should all keep an eye out for it when it hits tribble and comment on it to them

Hopefully they actually DO put these changes on Tribble first.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    macronius wrote: »
    I think this is going to kill weekday activity or at least diminish it. Lots of people log in for the bonus hours and then hang around a bit. I can see most players logging in during the weekend enough to stockpile marks and then logging in during the week to run daily projects.

This of course also screws up people who can't log in during the weekend and reduces the window for bonus marks. You will probably only be able to get bonus marks for 1 particular rep each weekend (if it runs every weekend) and will have your rep progression slowed.

Don't really see the improvement here but I do see a bunch of downsides.

I'm in agreement here. I have my reservations about any changes to the calendar.

Especially when the devs make claims of said changes being "better". "The Great Dyson Space Nerf" of December 2013 has soured me on such claims.
  • Options
    paspinallpaspinall Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Hopefully they actually DO put these changes on Tribble first.

Well when i mentioned it to Branflakes he was the one who said they would be looking for feedback when it was up on Tribble.
  • Options
    tarrennistarrennis Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Are events changing or being discontinued? Someone said most events are going away, but I can't find the source of this information.
  • Options
    gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    One of the recent blogs (I think it was #36?) had said that, with Season 8.5, they're gonna be removing the hourly events and converting them into weekend-long events and possibly even dailies. We're getting a taste of it this weekend with the Dyson Sphere Marks event, boosting up earned totals anywhere from 50% to 100%, depending on where you're getting them.

And it really works, too. I went solo on the ground and racked up, between dailies, running the various zones and saving all three silos, a good 300 marks. Running The Sphere (Elite) nets you about 112 Dyson Marks for a perfect run. If you wanna complete Dyson Sphere reputation, this would be a good way to do so.
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From the aforementioned dev blog:
    Another area we looked at was the hourly event calendar. Our data showed that few of these events were being played often, and so we are re-envisioning the hourly events as weekend-long events with better rewards. You can expect the hourly calendar to disappear with Season 8.5, with the new events showing up on the main calendar. Additionally, a small selection of the existing hourly events are being turned into Daily missions ? we?ll provide more information on this soon.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    From the aforementioned dev blog:

I don't see this going over well, from the player's enjoyment perspective, nor from the company's RoI perspective. Adding weekend-long bonuses is a great idea. Subtracting the "hourly" bonuses is a horrible idea.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    I don't see this going over well, from the player's enjoyment perspective, nor from the company's RoI perspective. Adding weekend-long bonuses is a great idea. Subtracting the "hourly" bonuses is a horrible idea.

I believe the main reason they're getting rid of the hourly events is so that players can do anything they want without worry about needing to do an hourly event at a certain time. For reference, these are the following events right now on the hourly event calender:

Bonus Marks
    Bonus reputation
    Time to Craft! (20% reduction in costs for materials)
    Tour of the Universe
    Academy event
    Officer reports
    path to 2409 (extra data chip)
    Multiphasic event (extra data samples)
    Vault shuttle event
    dilithium mining
    Mirror Incursion

Out of all of these, I see the Academy event, multiphasic event, time to craft, mirror incursion, tour the universe and the dilithium mining all becoming some sort of daily thing, since you're not likely to see more than one at any given time. The Vault might be retired or changed into a regular PvE queue. I expect they would do the same to the mirror universe, seeing as it shows up in the pve queue.

Keep in mind that Defera used to be a 3 hour timed event, but got moved to be a permanent adventure zone and the first of the many we've seen.

The Bonus marks and reputation obviously will be going towards the weekend events.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is probably a good idea. I want to see the implementation before i judge it, but hourly events are not that great.

you have to be on at the right time. if you miss it, you possibly have to wait a day to get it again, if you are able to be on. having them convert to dailies means people can get the reward when they want.

having weekend long rewards gets people in for long periods of time, and again gives people some freedom in when they log in.

and how many of those dailies were being played? did the academy one need a whole hour? was anyone playing the foundry one? the crafting one?
  • Options
    jmanwinjmanwin Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The low popularity of the hourly events has more to do with the events themselves than the hourly nature. I'd only miss Officer Reports, and that's still problematic with trying to align it with the 20 hour spotlight cooldown and the way it discourages trying unfamiliar missions, since some can take more than an hour and you won't get the bonus. Dilithium Mining and the datachip event also have 20 hour cooldown scheduling problems. The problem with the two events revolving around the crafting system doesn't need to be explained. The risk-to-reward ratio on the Vault isn't worth doing.

Tour the Universe is a good candidate to be reworked as a weekend event, preferably with changing route requirements and a direct player competition element.

Dilithium Mining would also work better as a high reward weekly mission. It's too much of a mindless grind for a daily. It would also benefit from a competitive element, like racing other players to stake the best claim.

Lastly, I'm sure everyone appreciates the Bonus Mark event, but it doesn't really change how most people play. It'd be better if it was reputation- or even mission-specific. Maybe then I could talk someone into playing something other than Infected Space, Khitomer Space and Crystalline. Those 3 should never get bonus marks. It's the missions that grinders have deemed inefficient that need incentives to play. The pve queues will tell you if you've overcorrected.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    the mirror incursion is the only one i am interested in knowing about and most of the time i can not play it as it jumps about day from day and at times i can not play it. so i would like to know what is happening to this.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.