test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Installing STO Without Arc

streakfury#2432 streakfury Member Posts: 63 Arc User
edited April 2014 in The Academy
Hi all,

Quick question - is it necessary to have Arc installed in order to install and play STO?

I bought the physical DVD when the game was first released, but since re-installing my PC this week, I can't find the DVD to re-install STO. I just wondered if I can install STO without having to install Arc first.

I'd rather keep the installed programs down to a minimum if possible.

Cheers!
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz / 16Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz / GeForce GTX1060 6Gb / Corsair Glaive / Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
Post edited by streakfury#2432 on

Comments

• gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    str34kfury wrote: »
    Hi all,

Quick question - is it necessary to have Arc installed in order to install and play STO?

I bought the physical DVD when the game was first released, but since re-installing my PC this week, I can't find the DVD to re-install STO. I just wondered if I can install STO without having to install Arc first.

Cheers!

Currently, no. You can still use the disk you got to re-install the game and play it from there. Later on in the future (when, no one knows), it will be, but for now, no.
  • streakfury#2432 streakfury Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ah, thanks for the reply. I figured as much. I guess I'll have to try and find the disk!

#Mission
    Intel i5 2500k @ 4.4GHz / 16Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600MHz / GeForce GTX1060 6Gb / Corsair Glaive / Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire
  • neomodiousneomodious Member Posts: 428 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Does the steam package use arc? if not, that should be a good option.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    neomodious wrote: »
    Does the steam package use arc? if not, that should be a good option.

It does not and a lot of people who are all "DOWN WITH ARC!" are thinking of that as an alternative.
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    str34kfury wrote: »
    Hi all,

Cheers!
    YES! you can,. willing to bet half of your fleet mates have a launcher file saved somewhere...
    JtaDmwW.png
  • shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Installing from a retail disc should work, but you'll basically wind up redownloading the entire game in patches to catch up. Somebody once posted up how to make an updated install disc by taking an existing one, and replacing its install data with the content from a fully patched install.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • vtbmac07vtbmac07 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    You can't install the game without ARC, but you can run it without opening ARC if you use the executable from the install folder. Just go to where the game is installed, and run Star Trek Online.exe

The only time I can't run the game this way is when a patch is released, and on those days I run the launcher through ARC to install the patch, then close all that and open it up with the STO executable. (I made a shortcut on my desktop for it.)
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Game middle man apps/launchers is the dumbest load of TRIBBLE I have ever seen these companies devise.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• fenr00kfenr00k Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I don't know if the disc is somehow different, but the old stand alone installer doesn't work any more. If you try to use it it tells you that you need to download a newer version and gives you a link to get ARC....

Personally, I just use Steam. I have less than no (as in a negative) interest in the current crop of PWE games other than STO.
  • ryeknowryeknow Member Posts: 191 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Game middle man apps/launchers is the dumbest load of TRIBBLE I have ever seen these companies devise.

Yup. You basically cant play a damned game anymore without having to have Steam, Origins or Arc. Its a load of BS really. Its just their sure fire way to make sure you see other low tier garbage games that companies are trying to advertise.
  • cababs91cababs91 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can get ARC to use an existing install of STO.

STO has been installed since 2012 and is using the Cryptic Launcher. I have installed ARC and added the Cryptic Launcher to its game list, run then then sign in again and run STO. the ARC rewards are there once you login with ARC and the Cryptic Launcher.

going to try this with NeverWinter