test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Getting ready for tournaments!

deokkentdeokkent Member Posts: 5,439 Arc User
edited January 2014 in PvP Gameplay
This is my first time participating in a pvp tournament. I'm excited, I get to play high level pvp with teamspeak (I usually pug). I've watched premades vids on youtube and twitch.tv. I have an idea what to do but this will probably be my first time doing it for real.

So what do people usually do to prepare for big tournaments, like the one we will have soon STO frontlines.
0)o Slayage mode o(0
anime-anime-gif-Gintama-Sakata-Gintoki-2211455.gif
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am fully aware that there are things that are within my control and there are other things that are out of my control. I therefore prefer to work with those things that are in my control on match day.

On match day it is always a matter of sticking to what I know. Making sure that my diet, warm up and pre-match timings are the same as they would be in any other event. This I find helps to ease the nerves but also trying something new for a big occasion has so many risks attached to it.

A couple of nights before I will always work out what time I need to get to the pvp map. For example if the match is at 7.00pm, I know the talking to teammates and ts etc is at 6.20pm, my login, warm up, etc starts at 5.45pm, toilet 5.40pm, one hour chill out by meditating 4.40, bus takes 20 minutes. So I will leave at 4.00pm in case I have to wait.

Once logged in, I like to lose myself in my music for about an hour before match time. As mentioned earlier my warm up will follow the same course as if it was a pvp game any other day. Mentally I am not over thinking the match because I am safe in the knowledge that the work has been done, tactically I am prepared and it is time to roll! Finally the ts and arena! This can be a tense experience having all of your competitors around you, all preparing to do battle. Experience has taught me that I can only control how I behave in the arena environment so I like to keep to myself, be as relaxed as possible and make sure that I don?t have to deal with any unnecessary stresses like my spikes being too long or having an MP3 player with me that could get confiscated. It is then out onto the arena where all the hours, days, weeks, months and years of training culminate in a performance that will show my true potential. Once the gun goes, so do the nerves and autopilot kicks in.

:P

^.^
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • aldo1rainealdo1raine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
  • pokersmith1pokersmith1 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    deokkent wrote: »
    You've got yourself a very nice routine right there, hands down. And it looks like it works from what I've seen you do in the queues. Kudos!!!

Aww....why thank you, i try.

Well, I put that post up there as a semi-joke, you'd know if you followed the link :P

Of course, the stuff such as diet, showing up way way early, taking a bus and having to worry about getting your mp3 player confiscated do not apply, but its genuinely amazing to take a peek at how real athletes prepare themselves. Setting yourself up with the right mentality is everything! :)
    Elite Defense Starfleet
    Elite Defense Stovokor
  • aquitaine900aquitaine900 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think we have everything needed for tournaments except tournaments themselves. the GM seems to shy away from any PvP work unless it's in a shuttle.

TRH did a tiny one in December, but besides that and DrkFrontiers affair, there's really not much going on.
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think we have everything needed for tournaments except tournaments themselves. the GM seems to shy away from any PvP work unless it's in a shuttle.

TRH did a tiny one in December, but besides that and DrkFrontiers affair, there's really not much going on.

...I tried to have one on New Year's, Reg, but almost no one showed up for it. :(
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.