test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Mission pods

questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
The addition of mission pods was mentioned in the recent Nebula topic.
Personally i find the idea of mission specific pods for star ships interesting, but there are a lot of options/questions floating around.

First how to add the pod to a star ship.
I think the best way would be a "Kit-like" slot on said star ship. Off course only to be swapped outside of combat or even at star bases.

Second thing which comes to mind is what does such a pod entail?
* Does it add weapon slots?
* Add an X number of console slots?
* Allow for another Boff?
* Does it add an X number of active space doffs?
* Does it give a unique space trait?
* <insert your ideas here>

Last, but not least is graphics. Adding a mission pod would mean a lot of work for the graphics gurus.

I would like to hear from you what you think of the concept of adding mission specific pods to certain stars hips (e.g. it would be nuts to add a pod on shuttles or Defiants due to size restrictions).

I would also like to hear your ideas for mission pods.
This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    The addition of mission pods was mentioned in the recent Nebula topic.
    Personally i find the idea of mission specific pods for star ships interesting, but there are a lot of options/questions floating around.

First how to add the pod to a star ship.
    I think the best way would be a "Kit-like" slot on said star ship. Off course only to be swapped outside of combat or even at star bases.

Second thing which comes to mind is what does such a pod entail?
    * Does it add weapon slots?
    * Add an X number of console slots?
    * Allow for another Boff?
    * Does it add an X number of active space doffs?
    * Does it give a unique space trait?
    * <insert your ideas here>

Last, but not least is graphics. Adding a mission pod would mean a lot of work for the graphics gurus.

I would like to hear from you what you think of the concept of adding mission specific pods to certain stars hips (e.g. it would be nuts to add a pod on shuttles or Defiants due to size restrictions).

I would also like to hear your ideas for mission pods.

I was thinking maybe adding a "tac" pod would give you one more forward weapon slot on your ship.
    The Luna, ( Reconnaissance Science Vessel) would lose an aft weapon slot but gain one up front.
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Reconnaissance_Science_Vessel

On the other hand, the Nebula or (Fleet Advanced Research Vessel Retrofit)
    http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Advanced_Research_Vessel_Retrofit
    could gain one extra tac console.

Or perhaps there could be two different kinds of "tac" mission pods. One swaps an aft weapon to gain an extra forward one. The second type could give an extra tac console.

As for Sci and Eng pods... I have no idea. For now.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What about the other ships who do NOT have mission pods? There are only Two vessels in the game, and in Starfleet, that have such things.

Will there be some sort of balance against having missions pods? Is there a penalty for having the extra slot?

Where would you get these extra missions pods? Will they be loot drops? Or will you have to purchase them from a vendor?

It seems like a waste of space to built a custom slot just for two ships.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Two ships come to mind when "pods" come up;
    The Nebula and the Deep Space Science Vessel. (graphics already in there)

IMO, The Nebula was designed to be a cheaper and modular utility vessel using parts from
    the Galaxy class. On this, the "Mission Pod" was originally designed to be a suite of enhanced
    sensors, or because of modular design; be interchangeable to then be a weapons array
    that housed multiple beam arrays or multiple torpedo launchers. Even in game, the Nebula
    is described as being the "work horse" of the Federation.

For game mechanics, the simplest solution would be a console set; one each for it to be
    Tactical, Engineering, or Science related. (although, Tachyon Detection is already there)
    Or one console that is tied into the Lt Uni slot to determine its function.

possibilities that I could see (for Nebula);
    Tac :: A weapon slot (forward facing), beam array/torpedo (FaW/Spread for mod weapon)
    Eng :: a Structural Integrity Field bonus. Inertial Dampeners. Crew resist.
    Sci :: Enhanced Sensor Array. Stealth detection. Accuracy Bonus.

For the DSSV,
    not quite sure except for the enhanced sensors that were housed in the pod.

Oh, The Nebula is a fine ship "as is". It can also be fun to fly. :}

But hey, all of this is wishful thinking as I doubt anything will be done.
    I personally never understood why any "mission pod" ships were released without
    having the ability to change what the "mission pod" does.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    What about the other ships who do NOT have mission pods? There are only Two vessels in the game, and in Starfleet, that have such things.
    Hey now, don't forget about runabouts! :P
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    a few ship classes on the fed side have mission pods to their starship class specs.

danube runabout
    miranda class
    nebula class

just to name a few safe confirmations.

the danube has a double micro photon rack mounted to the mid-rear top half of the ship for missions that require or is known to be dangerous or risky.

miranda had the torpedo bracket added to the ship design, back in the day it could be mounted or removed depending on the mission, but since the pod made more sense it remained on the ship as was any other mirandas, then came along the saratoga design or the command frigate, as well as the retired soyuz design of the pulse cannons mounted to the rear half top and bottom of engineering between the escape pod hatches pointing out in front of the ship.

nebula had the sensor pod in addition to the weapons pod it had, but from the looks of it the sensor pod was probably phased out by the weapons pod.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,309 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    From the top of my head the mission pods would be an option for the Nova, Luna, Olympus and Nebula.

Before anyone screams "another fed only suggestion" it is only like that because mission pods are meant for versatility and the KDF tends to use vessels for a single function only.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • badname834854badname834854 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I woudl say keep it simple:

Science Pod (The AWACS-looking one on the Phoenix)

+x to Sci Abilites
    +1 Sci Console

Engineering Pod (The Kitbash that you see with the 2 Smaller warp engines)

+x to Eng Abilities
    +1 Eng console

Tac (The one we have now)

+x to Tac abilities
    +1 tac console

The problem I see is that the game is so DPS-focused as far as giving out rewards that there is little reason to use anything BUT the Tac pod.

Anyhow, just spit balling here.
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    KDF ships have mission pods too. Raptors and Bops consider the top section of the aft hull mission pods.
    edited January 2014
    KDF ships have mission pods too. Raptors and Bops consider the top section of the aft hull mission pods.

Have not heard that one before.
    Either way if mission pods were to be introduced AND introduced on cloaked ships also there would have to be a significant effort in maintaining balance.
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    There was a similar debate going on here:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=784941

a while back. Too bad it never went too far and TBH at some point I didn't feel like drawing up more and more stats without any outside input.
    There may still be some ideas in that thread you folks may find appealing.

My idea for what part of a Klingon ship could be a modular section is similar to what killdozer9211 wrote, though I don't think there was ever any kind of confirmation that this is really the case.

http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/3165/lb44.png
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another KDF ship desigened for Pods is the VorCha class. The front most portion of the that class is a mission pod.

(Yes I have to much time on my hands that I study this stuff.)

There are multiple ships in game that use Pods. Even the Galaxy Class makes use of them, but in order for a galaxy class to switch pods it has to go into Drydock to switch over, as the pods are kept inside the hull on the Galaxy.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
    edited January 2014
    Interesting topic. Thank you.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Another KDF ship desigened for Pods is the VorCha class. The front most portion of the that class is a mission pod.

(Yes I have to much time on my hands that I study this stuff.)

There are multiple ships in game that use Pods. Even the Galaxy Class makes use of them, but in order for a galaxy class to switch pods it has to go into Drydock to switch over, as the pods are kept inside the hull on the Galaxy.

The Negh'Var also has it's "aft tower" be treated as a mission pod.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    questerius wrote: »
    Interesting topic. Thank you.

You're welcome. Maybe it includes something you can use. And if not at least our mistakes there may help narrow the field down a bit. In either case at would not have been for nothing.
  • sorceror01sorceror01 Member Posts: 1,042 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    While this has been talked about before, what I'm about to say has also been pointed out, too:
    The Nebula's Lt. Commander Universal seat is supposed to represent its "mission pod". It's a versatile three power BOff seat that can accommodate any class of officer, which is supposed to mirror the mission pod's functionality.
    Sometimes, the obvious solution stares you in the face this whole time. We don't need to add in a whole new gameplay mechanic here.
    ".... you're gonna have a bad time."
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    sorceror01 wrote: »
    While this has been talked about before, what I'm about to say has also been pointed out, too:
    The Nebula's Lt. Commander Universal seat is supposed to represent its "mission pod". It's a versatile three power BOff seat that can accommodate any class of officer, which is supposed to mirror the mission pod's functionality.
    Sometimes, the obvious solution stares you in the face this whole time. We don't need to add in a whole new gameplay mechanic here.

The Nebula has a Lt Universal seat, not a Lt Comm. So it's just two abilities.
    Here is the link: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Advanced_Research_Vessel_Retrofit

Here is the fleet version: http://sto.gamepedia.com/Fleet_Advanced_Research_Vessel_Retrofit

Just letting you know.
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • omegaphallicomegaphallic Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What the Heck is a mission pod anyways?

And isn't a mission pod where the Aquirius emerges from the Odyssey?
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I remember posts like these in the past. They always start out well intentioned but then the dreamers get in and start demanding things of enormous complexity and the whole idea flies out the window. The very idea of a ship kit mechanic is really pushing the limits of anything I think the devs would actually try to do for such a select array of ships.

Personally, I would love to see mission pods do something, I think they're a cool idea.
    The problem is, with all the ships that have them being so diverse across class and role, you'd have to find some common ground for them to share? And then what will be interesting but not game breaking? Think Cruiser commands, not a whole new special slot in the status window.

What do a Brel, Vorcha, Luna, and Nebula all have in common? etc.
    edited January 2014
    What strikes me is that mission pods are usually seen as extra weapon slots or consoles.
    Equally interesting IMO would be if the mission pod gave extra slots for active space doffs...

Instead of 5 active space doffs, now you get 8 active space doffs. That would be real variety and not just another weapon slot added.