test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulan Ship Design Feedback (Pics)

mirrorseacatmirrorseacat Member Posts: 170 Arc User
edited January 2014 in The Art of Star Trek Online
This post has been a long time in the making. After playing the Romulan ships for some time I have come up with some feedback on the Cryptic designs specifically. This is just a list I compiled and some modifications (whoohoo ms paint) that I feel would enhance the look of some of the Warbirds. These are of course just my own opinion and I really appreciate all of the hard work done on these ships.

1. The D'ridthau- based off of the beautiful D'deridex I really wanted to love this ship, but it needed a bit more customization for me. On the left is the original, the right one has my changes. The first thing I removed was the sensors, giving it more streamlined look. Then I filled in some of the Engine glows (I did that on most, i find that the bigger the engine glow the more the ship looks like a toy). And hard to see in this picture I also filled in the tail so it was a single piece instead of two. Also I would like to see a Convex body as opposed to the concave one we have.

2. The Valdore-I did pretty much the same with this as i did with the D'ridthau. I removed the fins on the wings, and some pieces of hull the jutted backward, and filled in some of the green glow on the engines. I also closed up the split in the head. For me the split hull on the heads of the Romulan ships is a bit of a turn off as it reminds me of more Klingon design (specifically the KDF temporal ship).
ValdoreJoined_zpse9fecefa.jpg

3. The Ar'kala- All I did with this design was close up the hull on the head. I find that doing this gives the ships a more sleek feel and thus (to me) they look more dangerous. I would like to see this option with the cannons just mounted on the hull as it is closed (sort of like a deflector dish sticking off, if that makes sense)
Arkalajoined_zps25f0202c.jpg

4. The Ar'kif- I removed the odd curls on the back of the wings, removed the bottom glows, and a reduction in the impulse glows, but for me it goes a long way. Just think of how well the Mogai handles and it has such tiny impulse glows. I might go so far as to completely remove the lower set.
Arkifjoined_zps082738c7.jpg

Edit: cut to be able to show the rest of the pics
Post edited by mirrorseacat on

Comments

• Options
    farginaut#6835 farginaut Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    FYI
    Your links just lead to blank photbucket pages.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Edited to show pics

5. The Ha'apax- A love hate for me. I Love her feel but hate her looks. IMO the biggest fault is that she looks like 2 ships just stuck together. To fix this i clipped her wings, I simply cut them off halfway and moved the engines in so they set ontop of the lower warbirds engines, which i feel makes it look more like a single ship (Which is the point of MVAM). I would predict that if this wing configuration was added then more people would fly this ship more, I know I would atleast.
    HaapaxJoined_zpsd4d1e8d1.jpg

6. The Daeinos- I could sing this ships praises all day, it is perfection to me. You can clearly see that it is a mix between a Mogai and a T'varo, and all Romulan. Whoever designed this ship nailed it IMO, and that is why I would like to see more variants made in its style. In this picture I cut off the tail and pretty much all of the neck (more T'varo ish). I would submit that this could be a more Science oriented version, while adding a "rollbar" to the top (d'deridex) style could be a more Engineering oriented version. Either way I simply love the ship.
    DaeinosJoined_zps0f7e2491.jpg

7. The Dhlean- I have no picture of this, its beyond my paint skills. Pretty much everything with this could use the same treatment as the others, but several things come to mind: close up the head and give us a "rollbar" set of wings that connect to each other under the ship. Not concave like the D'ridthau but convex like the D'deridex with a small bit connecting to the back and the head (which conveniently points down anyway). Basically this ship is kind of awkward to me but i can see myself playing it with the formentioned rollbar option, as it is I never touch it.

These are just some thoughts, and I welcome feedback on my suggestions and thoughts. Of course I am not by any means saying that anything should be replaced with my feedback, but merely that if variants are made or extra options added to the ships simply keep it in mind please. :)

-Seacat
  • Options
    angelsilhouetteangelsilhouette Member Posts: 24
    edited January 2014
    5. The Ha'apax- A love hate for me. I Love her feel but hate her looks. IMO the biggest fault is that she looks like 2 ships just stuck together. To fix this i clipped her wings, I simply cut them off halfway and moved the engines in so they set ontop of the lower warbirds engines, which i feel makes it look more like a single ship (Which is the point of MVAM). I would predict that if this wing configuration was added then more people would fly this ship more, I know I would atleast.
    HaapaxJoined_zpsd4d1e8d1.jpg

The Ha'apax is two ships stuck together. You can drive either (in the form of different ship classes), or you can drive the amalgam; if you buy the C-store variant, you can drive the amalgam and split it into its two component ships, like a saucer sep or MVAM.
    6. The Daeinos- I could sing this ships praises all day, it is perfection to me. You can clearly see that it is a mix between a Mogai and a T'varo, and all Romulan. Whoever designed this ship nailed it IMO, and that is why I would like to see more variants made in its style. In this picture I cut off the tail and pretty much all of the neck (more T'varo ish). I would submit that this could be a more Science oriented version, while adding a "rollbar" to the top (d'deridex) style could be a more Engineering oriented version. Either way I simply love the ship.
    DaeinosJoined_zps0f7e2491.jpg

These are just some thoughts, and I welcome feedback on my suggestions and thoughts. Of course I am not by any means saying that anything should be replaced with my feedback, but merely that if variants are made or extra options added to the ships simply keep it in mind please. :)

-Seacat

Love what you did to the Daeinos. I quite like the ship, performance wise, but I'm only lukewarm to its appearance. I eventually switched back to my Mogai because I was sick to death of its looks. The turned up tail only reminds me of a bird that's about to take a dump. The flip down nacelles get a bit old for me, too.

I would much rather drive your Daeinos variant, and I would drive it with the same feeling I have driving my Mogai. I'd love to see a Chimaera variant that wasn't just an edited Chimaera, but one of the other ships from the Ent-F competition. Specifically the Dedication class:

ent-f_final.jpg

Unfortunately, Cryptic has a long history of ignoring existing ships in favour of creating new shinies because we are apparently all ferrets or magpies who will get bored and wander off if they aren't constantly making new ships. They used to make ship costumes for the C-store, and I bought them gladly, but they seemed to give that up in favour of creating entirely new shinies. Given, some of the shinies were $25 VA versions of other ships whose costumes were interchangeable with the other ships, but... Given that you couldn't use the costume unless you had the ship, and you couldn't claim the ship unless you were a VA, it kind of sucks as a purchasable costume.

On a related note, before they were launched, Cryptic promised they were going to release ship costumes for the Odyssey and Bortasqu in the C-store. However, given that the newest Starfleet and KDF ships look like Tonka Toys, I rather hope they don't deliver on that promise, now. Whoever is designing the new ships seems to be taking their design language inspirations from toddler toys like the aforementioned Tonka or Marvel Superhero squad; big and chunky looking with lots of glowies. Easy to teethe with them.

* edit *

Another reason existing ships are ignored and you don't see quite as many going into the C-store as you used to is that people willingly spend upwards of $100 to gamble for a ship (I am ashamed to admit that I spent close to $60 on the latest promotion trying to get a Bulwark and close to $30 trying (emphasis on trying for both ships) to get a D'kora. Yes, I feel like a sucker.). Why put worry about making ship costumes or putting ships in the C-store when the lockbox system is so much more profitable?
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    The Ha'apax is two ships stuck together. You can drive either (in the form of different ship classes), or you can drive the amalgam; if you buy the C-store variant, you can drive the amalgam and split it into its two component ships, like a saucer sep or MVAM.

Love what you did to the Daeinos. I quite like the ship, performance wise, but I'm only lukewarm to its appearance. I eventually switched back to my Mogai because I was sick to death of its looks. The turned up tail only reminds me of a bird that's about to take a dump. The flip down nacelles get a bit old for me, too.

I would much rather drive your Daeinos variant, and I would drive it with the same feeling I have driving my Mogai. I'd love to see a Chimaera variant that wasn't just an edited Chimaera, but one of the other ships from the Ent-F competition. Specifically the Dedication class:

ent-f_final.jpg

Unfortunately, Cryptic has a long history of ignoring existing ships in favour of creating new shinies because we are apparently all ferrets or magpies who will get bored and wander off if they aren't constantly making new ships. They used to make ship costumes for the C-store, and I bought them gladly, but they seemed to give that up in favour of creating entirely new shinies. Given, some of the shinies were $25 VA versions of other ships whose costumes were interchangeable with the other ships, but... Given that you couldn't use the costume unless you had the ship, and you couldn't claim the ship unless you were a VA, it kind of sucks as a purchasable costume.

On a related note, before they were launched, Cryptic promised they were going to release ship costumes for the Odyssey and Bortasqu in the C-store. However, given that the newest Starfleet and KDF ships look like Tonka Toys, I rather hope they don't deliver on that promise, now. Whoever is designing the new ships seems to be taking their design language inspirations from toddler toys like the aforementioned Tonka or Marvel Superhero squad; big and chunky looking with lots of glowies. Easy to teethe with them.

* edit *

Another reason existing ships are ignored and you don't see quite as many going into the C-store as you used to is that people willingly spend upwards of $100 to gamble for a ship (I am ashamed to admit that I spent close to $60 on the latest promotion trying to get a Bulwark and close to $30 trying (emphasis on trying for both ships) to get a D'kora. Yes, I feel like a sucker.). Why put worry about making ship costumes or putting ships in the C-store when the lockbox system is so much more profitable?

ah well the whole point as I understood MVAM was one ship that could split apart and attack like a swarm, and through several interviews my understanding of the Ha'apax was that it was trying to be the Romulan MVAM, so that was my critique. I would just like a skin or wings that made them look more like 1 single ship (more MVAM-y) when joined.
  • Options
    davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I can't see the Dhlean, nor the Valdore. That being said, I like most of the others. Especially closing the front noses on some of them similar to what was done with the Rhode Island- Nova variant.

I do hope these suggestions are added as optional customization.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    davidwford wrote: »
    I can't see the Dhlean, nor the Valdore. That being said, I like most of the others. Especially closing the front noses on some of them similar to what was done with the Rhode Island- Nova variant.

I do hope these suggestions are added as optional customization.

thanks for that, I dont have the Dhlean on there but the Valdore did something odd and should be visible now.