test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Congrats Cryptic

ghostwolf1054ghostwolf1054 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
Congrats to Cryptic and our loyal fan base for getting into the top 10 as the best MMORPG's of 2013.

STO was #6 and Neverwinter was #2.

Keep up the good work!! :D

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8116/page/2

Cheers!!
Post edited by ghostwolf1054 on

Comments

• breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    very interesting, sounds like a good job all around.
    though I might have put a few of them in different spots.hehe

oh, you might want to change the link to;
    http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8116/page/1
    so people go to the first page :}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That site is a club for grumpy and burned out EQ and UO players. Not going there makes you 10 years younger by default.

STO lacks the proper resources of your fullblown MMO, and is going in circles because of that. It is still good for what it is. Perhaps because limited resources sometimes inspire creativity. I say sometimes, because you also get the true experience of shortcuts ad infinitum. :P

---
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 3,998 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Curious. STO was voted best MMO of 2012. But on the same site that voted it the best for 2012, in 2013 places it 7th. The write up on STO (on the site placing it 7th) I feel was written by someone completely unknown of Star Trek overall, calling ships spaceships not starships and claiming you land on planets, overall the write up of STO was quite damning (my opinion) and inaccurate greatly.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    4.SWTOR, 3.GW2, 2.NWO

I doesn't have the same top 10 at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »
    Curious. STO was voted best MMO of 2012. But on the same site that voted it the best for 2012, in 2013 places it 7th. The write up on STO (on the site placing it 7th) I feel was written by someone completely unknown of Star Trek overall, calling ships spaceships not starships and claiming you land on planets, overall the write up of STO was quite damning (my opinion) and inaccurate greatly.

Was a different site for the award last year.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Technically you do land on planets... your ship stays in orbit. It's a clunky turn of phrase. I would reword it "You send your team down to planets."
    edited January 2014
    Was a different site for the award last year.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Right that's me told I'll shut up then he he :P LOL
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why is Neverwinter #2? It makes good use of the Foundry and assets like Gateway, and has great visuals, but other than that Neverwinter isn't that great. A microtransaction grinding hellhole with a confusing UI/control scheme, boring dungeon crawls, and monotonous repetitive combat.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am not sure FfIV should be on the list. It only received attention in the last few month because they overhauled it completly und re-released it late this year. The month and years before no one cared.
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    Also, a big congrats to the community, in addition to the team :) We couldn't do it without your dedication and support. Cheers to 2014!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    A microtransaction grinding hellhole with a confusing UI/control scheme, boring dungeon crawls, and monotonous repetitive combat.

Almost reminds me of another game hurrhurr :P

In all seriousness, for being voted 6th, this team deserves a congratulations.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    johngazman wrote: »
    In all seriousness, for being voted 6th, this team deserves a congratulations.

credit where credit is due...but to be precise, it wasn't a vote...the ranking was done by a single person and not by the community. atleast the article never mentioned anything about voting.

and ontop the games presented are only there because they had some sort of release in 2013.

i still think most of the titles deserved to be in that list, but as far as the ranking goes it is an opinion of 1 guy. Further he doesn't even do a good job at explaining why they are ranked in that specific order.
    A more fitting name would have been: 10 (mostly f2p) MMO's that had content releases in 2013 and that are worth playing.
    Because that is what those mmo's in that list are...f2p and don't completely suck as most other f2p MMORPGs

and i'm really cheerfull about the fact taht STO is in that list...the game really gets better each season and the content the team adds has better overall quality each time they implement something new. Especially when the voices of the "original" actors are involved.
    Go pro or go home
  • tinkerstormtinkerstorm Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Congrats to Cryptic and our loyal fan base for getting into the top 10 as the best MMORPG's of 2013.

STO was #6 and Neverwinter was #2.

Keep up the good work!! :D

http://www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/8116/page/2

Cheers!!
    I own a bridge in New York that I'll sell to you.
  • karcornerkarcorner Member Posts: 294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Neverwinter #2, that game is awful from all aspects and swtor beat STO, now that is the sign of doom.
    edited January 2014
    karcorner wrote: »
    Neverwinter #2, that game is awful from all aspects and swtor beat STO, now that is the sign of doom.

I'd like to know exactly how many hours / years those who decided on the ranking system put in before concluding the list.
    edited January 2014
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    This list is suspect. As much as I bag on STO, I still think it's way better than SWTOR, a magnificent disaster, that forced two of the brightest minds in the gaming community into early retirement. And most of the other contenders, other than Eve, are just "me too", WoW clones. Curiously, no mention of that 800 pound gorilla which still holds the majority share.

That SWTOR box is a very good dust trap though, given the rather generous size. You just need to place it strategically, and it will lure those dust bunnies to their ultimate demise...

But you're right, in a sense STO is a creature unto itself, and that is perhaps why we are here. What good is it to visit places trying to go somewhere else. You just end up with that feeling of displacement. :)

---
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is more like a list of the only MMOs anyone is playing (except for WoW). This is not a best of the best. It's more like what mediocre stuff is out there right now, with a few exceptions that I hear good things about.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    define the word normal to a bunch of people, they all come out with different answer. its the same for asking a bunch of people what their top 10 list of games are.

one young woman has a list

1. the life of justin beiber, the best.
    2. justinopocus
    3. justina, justina, let down your hair!
    4. barbie world

another woman youngish.

1. need for speed.
    2. formula 1 challenge 99-02.
    3. gran turismo.
    4. grand theft auto san andreas

you get the point, each person has their own thought and opinion what is best.

while some here think it's great to see STO on the top of that list, i do not see sto in that list yet, content is alright but what would really make it great is the community side of PWE getting in on the act and being helpful to the point sto becomes far better then it is and pulls in many, many more players. there is an awful lot of potential in sto and more then i expected, right now its just hitting the surface at this time and not actually tapping far enough in.

while im not surprised to see swtor on that list because it has a strong storyline that flows well and connects to other storylines along the way on occasion. as well as additional content coming from time to time. i play it just for the storyline rather then the end of game grinds. however the storyline there is better then sto for now, but with a little effort its possible to get the sto storyline ahead.

my opinion on the subject is that i dont pay attention to these 1 or small group throwing up a list because it can be easily manipulated.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • kyuzos7kyuzos7 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    How is Rift F2P?

boring. + my sig.

try Aura Kingdom might be cartoony but the dual class system and etc is awesome.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cabezadetortugacabezadetortuga Member Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STO is an impressive game, and deserves accolades for the development team's continuing efforts to improve it. I have had three different friends look over my shoulder while I was playing STO and decide that they, too, had to try the game out.

I might have to go check Neverwinter Nights 2 out, now. I'm not big on fantasy settings, but a change of pace can be a good thing.
  • platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And most of the other contenders, other than Eve, are just "me too", WoW clones. Curiously, no mention of that 800 pound gorilla which still holds the majority share.

I disagree, Rift stands out with its dynamic content and unique soul system that's a talent tree 2.0 due to various synergy possibilities.

Also WoW has a lot of players which makes it the "best" by mathematics, but it's still the same old bull**** than when the game first started, no matter how many times they remake the original world to look fresher or how many Kung-Fu Pandas they throw at it, and it needs more than a graphical upgrade to fix the problems it's age is causing.

Left very early in Pandera's expansion, and they've shown me no reason to go back.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    STO is an impressive game, and deserves accolades for the development team's continuing efforts to improve it. I have had three different friends look over my shoulder while I was playing STO and decide that they, too, had to try the game out.

I might have to go check Neverwinter Nights 2 out, now. I'm not big on fantasy settings, but a change of pace can be a good thing.

You mean Neverwinter, if you're talking about Cryptic's MMO - NWN2 was Obsidian's sequel to BioWare's NWN.

It definitely counts as a chance of pace, but I don't like action-MMOs that take my cursor away from me.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    Anyone currently playing LoTRo? What's it like now? It used to be pretty good. Rift was kind of cool, too. Just not in a subscription kind of cool. How is Rift F2P?

You probably need to put in some cash there (LotRO), in order to get around properly. Grinding never seemed to work for me at least. Opened up some minor areas at most. Combat revamp looks nice enough, haven't really been testing it extensively though (of late that is). It is my backup plan in case Cryptic nerfs the T'varo again. So got it installed, just to avoid any downtime after the ragequit. It is important to plan ahead, you know. :P

---
  • capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Huh i might have to go back to SWTOR for a bit, STO has gotten a bit hum drum....

That or go back to playing CoD, AC, and DR3 on the console......
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]