test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Arcgames.com is Ready for your Feedback

Comments

• sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I read it, and... ...No.
    Not interested, not wanted, completely waste of everything.

-Or as poor fellow Adolf once said; "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!"
    /Floozy
  • zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Atleast you can do forum stuff with it in the sto client with the community option thingy.

If they had doffing outside of it too then it would be worth it imo.
  • cajalacajala Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I'm with the "don't want" people. I go as far as saying that when I get forced I'm very likely to just quit, nothing will be forced on me by anyone. I have Steam and I'm not waiting on another launcher. Especially from a company who should put their time in fixing game bugs but works on a launcher instead. Put ARC where the sun don't shine please.
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    -Or as poor fellow Adolf once said; "NEIN, NEIN, NEIN!" :Linky

Sandormen, please be so kind and remove the link. I know it is from a comedy film, but describing this man as poor... feels not right, even not in a comedic sense.

Thank you very much for your understanding.
  • captainkccaptainkc Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    ATTN: PWE: How about you idiots take all this money you're wasting shilling that stupid piece of **IT** programmed spyware and give it to your devs so they can do nifty things like make content and fix bugs?

QFT.
    I do not understand why the official STO site is moving to Arc Games. From what I heard, when the Arc client launches the game it does not go away, so that is one more window on the taskbar. Not good. I already have my Nostromo pad controller in another window.

So Cryptic/PWE let me repeat: instead of this "make work" project which seems totally unnecessary, how about working on server lag and rubberbanding issues? Or do try to develop a mobile app for iOS that can let us assign missions to Duty Officers, that will be welcomed! :mad:
    People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint it's more like a big ball of wibbly-wobbly timey-wimey ... stuff. --the Doctor, "Blink"
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    chalpen wrote: »
    Guys, it is a stupid program that has no real benefit but this isn't what this thread is for.

They want our feedback on its functionality. Not whether you like it.

Edit: Remember the way they work. They will raise their arms and say "don't ever ask them for feedback because this is what happens". So please try to not have that happen

PWE wants feedback on the latest arc, and they are getting it on arc, about 40+ pages on it and all of it is valid as it counts as "feedback". what more do you want?
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    For any reports of alerts from these programs, please let us know. The more information that can be provided, the better. The full report from the software, including what specific activity or behavior it identified as suspicious, can help us improve Arc to ensure that it is accurately analyzed as safe and secure.

Like others, I read this as basically saying "Tell us how we can hide our activities better". If it was just setting off one antivirus warning, I could understand it being a glitch. But the fact people are reporting it across numerous programs indicate this is not a random glitch, but there actually is something in there that keeps getting blocked.

That, and the fact my HDD is already pretty full with STO and it can't handle having more stuff running in the background (can't even hve a youtube vid playing in the background for some music without it causing some lag issues in STO, so it'll never be able to handle having ARC running and scanning during play) means I too will be walking when ARC comes in. Can only load my characters after midnight for some bizarre reason anyway.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Y'know what? I've decided to look through the other PWE games that may be talking about Arc. So far, I've only found two: Neverwinter and RaiderZ. You know what surprised me?

Simple. It wasn't forty-one pages of players stomping their feet and complaining and making entitlement vows of quitting. At most, it was two pages, a few people excited to see it happen and a bug notification or two. Not... THIS.

You people complaining should be ashamed of yourselves! No wonder Star Trek fans tend to get looked down at!

Those two games are not what I would call accurate points for comparison with the STO forums. First of all, the STO member base is infinitely more vocal about things pertaining to its game, and also, STO simply has more members than either of those games. In addition, we have more "veteran" players who have been here through most if not all the changes this game has gone through over the years. Neverwinter and RaiderZ simply don't have the longevity STO has.

Granted, some people are whining and complaining about Arc, simply because they want something to rant about or it is different than what they are used to, while others have legitimate reasons and suspicions about what Arc is really doing other than being a unified game launcher. My issues were plainly stated way back earlier in this thread and I have yet to see ANY answer to mine or other people's questions about what Arc is REALLY doing. All I have seen is dancing by those who are giving out the obviously "scripted" and "evasive" answers... not actually answering the question, but giving double-talk.

If they lose their jobs, they would do well as politicians.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    According to you guys, Arc is a secret malware program that is designed to steal all of your information, prevent STO from running normally and is probably a devious plot from PWE and Cryptic to get more money. Maybe the last part is true, but I'm not so keen on the rest.

But, I've had enough - I've spent all day reading these posts and the entitlement and rage and seeing that other PWE games are actually level-headed in their concerns and bugs. I don't like getting angry over posts, but this has what it's done to me. For now, I wash my hands of this. I'm going to bed, I'm gonna wake up a few hours later and enjoy my pretendy fun-time ships for as long as this game lasts.

Umm.... show me the entitlement in this thread, I see concern about a company that is they hadn't bought Cryptic, we'd have nothing to do with. To reiterate my feedback, if PWE wants to push software and their site on me I require vary few things to be okay with it. On the site side I don't want a downgrade, this new layout feels like a downgrade to me. As far as I'm concerned a news feed on a game that pushes aside current news in favor of more profitable articles is junk, newest comes first regardless of revenue potential.
    On the client side there is three criteria, low resource, reliable, open. This abomination they have shown us uses so much that it takes 15 minutes after my computer boots up. In comparison the old launcher would take 1.5 minutes when arc is set to not start with the pc. In the area of reliable, not once had arc been able to automaticaly sign into my account, generally it take 7 or more manual attempts before it stops failing to connect to server, never had that problem with the sto launcher. 3rd bit, being open, as the first two test have failed I have not tested this one but plain to. I have no problem with pwe ccollecting information from my computer about what games I play, hell I even expect it. But I want to be able to see what they are collecting. If my monitoring program comes back with unable to view/encrypted or if PWE is pulling more than game DATA, say personal information I'll block it. Next, installing add-ons to my browser without my permission is not tolerated. You want access to my web, ask me and state your intentions.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • synchronicity75synchronicity75 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Right now I'm 50/50 sitting on the fence about ARC, however I went ahead cancelled my monthly sub to show my growing displeasure with the inevitable forced use. Maybe if more players started to cancel they will get a better hint of our "feedback".
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here's my full thoughts:

In my personal experience, this software did not work as advertised and raised numerous virus warnings from my computer.

In my personal experience, this is very dissimilar from STO. STO works as advertised (at least, with the exception of some bugs, which the devs fix really extremely quickly, especially compared to, say, D&D Online, EVE, WoW, or LOTR Online), does not trip my spyware (even the custom stuff that I paid my genius computer science major buddy fifty bucks for), and is composed of numerous parts that each serve a purpose.

ARC is pointless, dangerous, and does not work as advertised. In fact, I am having a hard time believing that the same dev teams who made STO are also behind ARC. The sheer quality difference is just too much.

Please, PWE, heed the wrath of your player base and DO NOT FORCE ARC ON US. I have already instituted a personal vow to never download a PWE game or buy PWE products with money until you cease all development and implementation efforts on ARC and promise us that it will never be implemented.

(I should note that this is a veeeeery painful vow to keep, because Champions Online looks totally awesome)
  • organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And the Gateway is still not working right and still in Beta since...

How about finishing one thing after another.
  • leoll2leoll2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My feedback...DO NOT WANT!
    P2W means Play To Win

Archimede - Leader and Founder of "Raiders of Starfleet"
    ...and 21 other characters!
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First, the first thing I see is the memory footprint of ARC is still way too large. I installed it on a PC and its using roughly 73mb of memory. For comparison Steam is using 10-20mb. This is with both clients "DOING NOTHING*". That right there is unacceptable.

*By nothing I mean the client just running without a game, obviously its communicating back home and such, but still, there were no active uses of either client.

OK, I am very much not seeing the personal need for ARC. I play STO. Pretty much all I play is STO. I tried PWI once, for about 2 days. I didn't like it, I find I am not likely to like most of the rest of the offerings in ARC. With that, I do not see any use for myself for a client that has as large of a footprint as ARC when I see absolutely no beneficial advantage to me.

I ask you, show me how ARC will improve my gaming experience, and I might reconsider my stance.
  • ragestroke008ragestroke008 Member Posts: 203 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I would still know what is our incentive to use Arc over Steam.

(I actually made a separate thread with the hope of discussing it, but the Mods in their wisdom merged it with this one, so I will continue to ask it.)
    Time is a funny thing; There is always too much of it. Except when you need it the most, then there is never enough.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Those two games are not what I would call accurate points for comparison with the STO forums. First of all, the STO member base is infinitely more vocal about things pertaining to its game, and also, STO simply has more members than either of those games. In addition, we have more "veteran" players who have been here through most if not all the changes this game has gone through over the years. Neverwinter and RaiderZ simply don't have the longevity STO has.

Granted, some people are whining and complaining about Arc, simply because they want something to rant about or it is different than what they are used to, while others have legitimate reasons and suspicions about what Arc is really doing other than being a unified game launcher. My issues were plainly stated way back earlier in this thread and I have yet to see ANY answer to mine or other people's questions about what Arc is REALLY doing. All I have seen is dancing by those who are giving out the obviously "scripted" and "evasive" answers... not actually answering the question, but giving double-talk.

If they lose their jobs, they would do well as politicians.

Now that I'm awake and coherent, I can see what you mean. I guess that's what thrown me off - I'm seeing all of these roarings and stompings and I can't actually tell if they're concerned about it, completely overreacting or they're just ranting for the sake of ranting.

I do admit that sci-fi fans are not people to be triffled with. I remember being over in OG Planet and the people most vocal of all of their games were those with SD Gundam Capsule Fighter, even IF that game was one of the smallest. So, seeing STO like this shouldn't of surprised me. But, it did.
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Sandormen, please be so kind and remove the link. I know it is from a comedy film, but describing this man as poor... feels not right, even not in a comedic sense.

Thank you very much for your understanding.

organicmanfred, if it's really such an issue then why don't you remove the link from your quoted material? Sandormen has removed the one from their post, yet now you're still providing access to the material you found so offensive that you (and only you) felt a need to make an issue of it.
    I would still know what is our incentive to use Arc over Steam.

Having no choice whatsoever once they make Arc the mandatory and only way to get in to the game.

That's pretty much it. Our incentive to use it is "If you want to play STO, you vill ultimately zurrender to ARC. Ve have vays of makink you comply."
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I may be wrong about this, but I believe that since Neverwinter and RaiderZ are newer, that the member-base simply doesn't know better. Us STO'ers have had our own Cryptic (Unified already mind-you) Launcher since the beginning, and yes, I agree, that this change is going to affect everyone... not exactly in a positive way either. Some will quit out of principle...or spite. Some will simply complain and go on playing. Some just don't care... probably because they just don't know what Arc is all about.

Fortunately... we do! And for those of you who don't know... go back to the first page of this thread and read it... don't just skim through.

My main concern about all of this is how Cryptic/PWE is dancing around the questions that matter to us... the STO community. Questions regarding Arc's installing addons to our browsers when "supposedly" Arc has a built-in browser of its own, doing intrusive scans on our HDDs, the problem with it running constantly in the background. The fact that it makes anti malware/virus programs go ape-sh*t.

I have yet to see a response that actually answers these and other legitimate concerns we have. All I have seen are requests for specifics as to what the anti-malware/virus programs are displaying in their detection reports and vague statements about escalating what they term as "positive feedback" to those who are developing the program.

If the developers of Arc want positive feedback from me, then tell me where I can find something "positive" about Arc, other than the fact it has a unified launcher "feature".

That, I do like... everything else is either a waste, or is simply not wanted.

Obviously I can't tell PWE/Cryptic what to do with the money I spend on this game once they get it, but I would expect some of that money to go back into STO for continued development and fixing well-known issues with the game. There are so many issues with the game right now, and all PWE/Cryptic has been focusing on is Arc. With the occasional fix here and there for unimportant issues like the Vulcan D'Kyr.

It makes me feel like STO is simply in maintenance mode until Arc is done.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    worffan101 wrote: »
    ARC is pointless, dangerous, and does not work as advertised. In fact, I am having a hard time believing that the same dev teams who made STO are also behind ARC. The sheer quality difference is just too much.

Cryptic is not developing ARC, that's all PWE. Cryptic is being "forced" into using this for their games since they are owned by PWE.

While it's likely some of the Cryptic devs are working on the back-end to make sure that the Cryptic games work with ARC, this was not their idea.

At least, I hope it wasn't.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I did let the plugin that keeps popping up go through just to see what it was going to do. Basically what it is and based off what some ppl had been saying in this thread too is that it wasn't pulling the most recent news off the main page. Basically thats what this plugin does if you don't allow the plugin it seems to just go off its own direct link to arc which is probally when they do maintenance on it updates the previous days info.

As far as the malware thing it seems that the scripting they do to *scan the HDD* its not exactly scanning the HDD. Its basically looking for a specific file in the directory of each game to connect to the library. So if you have no champions directory it knows you don't have it installed. Hopefully the loading that it is doing is just a biproduct of it technically still being in beta and the security issue thats my only concerns right now. The only real outgoing info arc is actually doing by putting everything on the most strict profiles I can do is when I am using it right now to post this forum message. Other than that it isn't submitting information anywhere else.

Edit: My best guess after carefully looking through everything to see what is actually going on where some ppl said it was scanning any external drives as well. With the scanning per say its basically allowing you to make it where if you hard drive shuffle you could use an external HD to be your game library thats my best guess on that.

That is my best guess regarding the HDD scanning. Arc still has not attempted to send any data from what it scans so far, and it has been running for 24hrs so far on a VM.
    PWE need to add permissions fir the plugin issue. No program should be installing anything without an explanation and toggle to disallow permission..
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »
    Cryptic is not developing ARC, that's all PWE. Cryptic is being "forced" into using this for their games since they are owned by PWE.

While it's likely some of the Cryptic devs are working on the back-end to make sure that the Cryptic games work with ARC, this was not their idea.

^^This. There is no reason to hold a grudge against Cryptic in the ARC-matter. They have no choice. If they had a chance to do it, they would prolly, in unison, enter the forum and say; "We didn't want this, but we are being forced to implement it." -There. I said it for them.
    /Floozy
  • regimentalmanregimentalman Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I could download the beta..but I could Not do the repair?
    Tried several times, they need to fix that, if they want people to test it......
    Not looking to good at the moment!
  • mightyleptonmightylepton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey Everyone,

We've got a beta version of our new website and Arc client ready for your feedback.

http://sto.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1076561

Please take a look and let us know what you think. You can post feedback here in this thread, or follow the feedback instructions listed in the blog.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

-Dezstravus

I'm not going to be forced to use yet another Games Launcher. Im not interested in playing other games, and Steam provides me with everything I do need just in case.

For the last day that I live I will play STO as a stand-alone game, which ive always did.
    I dont even run STO through steam.

Well it is very apparent seeing all these posts that Arc is not wanted at all in our community lol. I suggest spending resources elsewhere.

Cheers.
    Read the book of the Rihannsu.
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    iamynaught wrote: »

Cryptic needs to do a better job of protecting its users from things like this. Certainly they have some pull at PWE to express their suggestions and view point for what is better for STO.
  • worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Just FYI, I have no beef with Cryptic. They (and especially the STO dev team) are doing a great job.

My 10-ton mountain of rotting beef is with PWE.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Cryptic needs to do a better job of protecting its users from things like this. Certainly they have some pull at PWE to express their suggestions and view point for what is better for STO.

Maybe a little pleading pull but legal, no. Cryptic was bought by PWE (from my understanding anyway) an as such are owned and controlled by pwe. If Cryptic had only contractually partnered with PWE, then their might be a legal ground of discontinuing that partnership. But if PWE owns Cryptic they can't even buy themselves back without outside money, any money Cryptic makes, belongs to PWE.
    That is assuming Cryptic would even want to buy themselves back. PWE has forced Cryptic to do so risky things in the past that paid off in the end, the only example I can think of off the top of my head is going f2p, a high amount of subscribers back then where dead set against it, but it turned out to be a big success.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • kantazo1kantazo1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Again, read my OP.... I do not want to know.... nor do I care about what you personally think about this.... you don't like it.. simple... don't use it... done... move on...

The problem is that ARC is mandatory, forced on us, you cannot choose no to use it.
    Seek and ye shall find. Yeshua
  • wildthyme467989wildthyme467989 Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I want to try to give constructive feedback on ARC but it is being made pretty difficult by PWE.

PWE seems (at least in my opinion) intent on a seemingly self destructive course with it's eventual mandatory implementation. I mean self destructive in the sense of the number of people who've said they're going to quit PWE games if they're ever forced to download this. (I'm one of them by the way, as I've made abundantly clear if you've been paying attention)

The only reasons I won't be downloading it is not because of the countless posts about malware and security issues as no company nowadays would be so commercially insane as to include stuff like that in their products. It's purely because I have no use for it at all, I'm not a paying PWE customer and I don't have any interest in any game other than STO. I've tried some of the other PWE games and none have held my interest for more than a few days. (or a few months in Neverwinter's case)

Surely PWE should make ARC voluntary to download, that way, everyone's happy, no one need quit and we can all get on with playing whatever PWE game we like without having to be bothered with something that we never asked for in the first place.
  • kirksplatkirksplat Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It's really amazing that this announcement happened on the same day at both NW and STO. We have around 50 pages of ranting against Arc and they have a page and a half of complimentary comments about how convenient and cool Arc is for NW.

LINK

I wonder what explains that difference. I can't find a thread about it at CO either.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    kirksplat wrote: »
    It's really amazing that this announcement happened on the same day at both NW and STO. We have around 50 pages of ranting against Arc and they have a page and a half of complimentary comments about how convenient and cool Arc is for NW.

LINK

I wonder what explains that difference. I can't find a thread about it at CO either.

Maybe they were brainwashed :P.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
This discussion has been closed.