test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cryptic: are you bent on destroying this game? (bug reports)

shadow71shadow71 Member Posts: 23
I have been playing this game for some time now (actually since beta). For some strange reason it seems as if Cryptic is bent on destroying this game. Now don't get me wrong I don't know if they are meaning to do this or just plain trying to get rid of people who play the game or they are just not learning from past mistakes.

I have played a number of games over my years dating all the way back to EQ, Shadowbane, **** and all through these years I have never seen a game treated as horrible as this game is being treated. I mean if this was alive I do believe Cryptic would be in prison for abuse.

Just now I believe it got to me so that is the reason I am posting this up now. I logged out of the game due to the fact that after this patch they seem to have screwed up another area (or if not I guess it would be just me). Being that I am a Rom/Borg and there are so many problems with this race it is crazy. Anyways so I went to Dyson Joint Command to do a few ground Battlezone, however when trying to choose my Away Team the menu wouldn't let me choose any of my ground crew only the space crew (none of them have skills in ground). I have tired everything I could think of: logging out, leaving the area, etc...

I don't know if anyone else is having issues like this however here are some more I have noticed and believe me I do send in bug reports yet it seems as if none of them are doing any good.

1. Option menu: This option menu really needs to go the set up alone is just trashy put together. If you noticed at the bottom on some of the tabs there is no apply button which makes me think of why this problems keeps happening: I set up keybinds to my joystick and voice attack so I can give commands to my ship. Awhile back I had a set up I decided to change a few days ago. One of the changes was the keybinds to my F keys. F1-F4 was used to target ally party members so if they are in need of help I could just call out to my computer "Ally one,two,three or four". This I decided to change the next day I noticed all my changes I made to this option was reverted back to it original state. I mean the F keys were back to targeting allys and even the UI keys secondary mapping (which I had cleared) were back to it original state.

2. This has been happening awhile now, I would leave my ship and go to the crew skill trainer. Okay say I want to train one of my space crew members in High yield torpedoes. So I do this then beam back to my ship and here is where the shock comes into play. All my space crew skills are rearraged or they are just simply not there because the crew members are taken out of their stations. This is a nerve rack in my case because I have to sit back and put all my crew members back in order and make sure it is the right order in order to use my voice attack and joystick binds correctly. For the life of me I can't understand how these problems are still going on for a game that has been out this long.

3. So I decided to use all Romulan crew members for my ground crew. Well this was a kick in the ole nads, I decided to spend a little to get my crew by going the way of the exchange. We all at least most of us like to have our crew members actually looking like a well form crew on the ground so this is why I chose all Romulans. So what do I get when buying my crew members? Ha I get Romulans alright but the Romulans I got was not able to wear any Klingon/Romulan clothing. I mean seriously?!? All that would show up was Romulan/Fed clothing yet it would not work for me at all neither.

4. Now this one was just a joke on me or something or are Cryptic just not listening to their players or even reading these forums. Anyways from topic 3. I decided just to spend some dilithum and buy a couple of regular Romulan crew members. Afterwards off to the tailor I go ( I wasn't that happy about this neither), because if you don't know now you will...The tailoring color panel is just so screwed up it is ridiculous. Colors are off, wrist band colors are showing two different types of panels. Alot of bleeding and tearing effects are located when changing pants and boots. I mean this is like MMO creation 101... this kind of stuff should only happen to a gaming company the first one to two years before they start to get everything in order.

5. Since the beginning of this game I and I know countless others have asked Cryptic to implement support for joysticks. I myself use the Logitech profiler since it doesn't seem as if they know the difference between joystick and gamepad. This so called joystick support they handed us is so sad it makes me wanna play privateer again (at least that old game knew what how to implement joystick support). First rule of joystick support... you don't try to own the keybinds. A. Game detects the joystick which player(s) are using. B. A simple joystick configuration layout is shown to player to input his/her keybinds (the mapping should be open not some random numbers just added to make it look full. C. Every joystick is different and this should reflect on the joystick layout. If you guys just would take a look at a profiler you would see how to fix this layout.

All in all this game is okay however I am so upset how they are just TRIBBLE it around and the support for this game is horrible. I have seen more GMs online playing that game and shooting the breeze with players however out of all the time I have been on this game and all the bugs and support help I needed I have never had one to whisper me and ask "what is the problem and how can I help you with this?"

Sorry didn't know it would be this long.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    And now Arc, dun dun dun.

I will not install Arc on my system, period.
  • Options
    roxbadroxbad Member Posts: 695
    edited January 2014
    shadow71 wrote: »
    I have been playing this game for some time now (actually since beta). For some strange reason it seems as if Cryptic is bent on destroying this game. Now don't get me wrong I don't know if they are meaning to do this or just plain trying to get rid of people who play the game or they are just not learning from past mistakes.

I didn't really read all of that, but let me just say that I think that the fact the IP brings with it a dynamic and loyal fanbase insulates the developers from much of the effects their decisions and actions would have produced with a game drawing from a different body of work.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    roxbad wrote: »
    I didn't really read all of that, but let me just say that I think that the fact the IP brings with it a dynamic and loyal fanbase insulates the developers from much of the effects their decisions and actions would have produced with a game drawing from a different body of work.

Yeah well I believe you should have read it because your response as valid as it is has nothing to do with the subject. My concerns are they are ignoring problems throughout the game since beta and not only that the company seems to be intent on doing other projects instead of correcting errors before they get out of hand. It seems now they are patching one or two problems just to make three to four more.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    And now Arc, dun dun dun.

I will not install Arc on my system, period.

Yes I totally agree with you there buddy I see no point at all in putting money into creating a new Arc when the one that was there was fine to begin with. This way of thinking on their part only makes me think they are diverting away from the real issues of the game stability in order to make a quick buck off players. I have dumped not only for my lifetime account since beta however cash from my pocket to support this game over the years. It seems as if none of that means anything to this company, which is a sad case because I really like this game.
  • Options
    merkestrelmerkestrel Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Anyways so I went to Dyson Joint Command to do a few ground Battlezone, however when trying to choose my Away Team the menu wouldn't let me choose any of my ground crew only the space crew (none of them have skills in ground). I have tired everything I could think of: logging out, leaving the area, etc...

I had the same problem last night. I found a workaround by going to my "stations" tab and making the Boffs I wanted for the ground mission the very first two on the away team slots. Then go to the Battlezone. It worked for me, but I hope they fix it soon.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    merkestrel wrote: »
    I had the same problem last night. I found a workaround by going to my "stations" tab and making the Boffs I wanted for the ground mission the very first two on the away team slots. Then go to the Battlezone. It worked for me, but I hope they fix it soon.

Hey thank you kindly for that bit of information, I will try to do it tomorrow. Yet I wish players would not have to resort to workarounds in a game that has been out for so long lol.
  • Options
    borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First I think, taht Arc is no good for any cryptic games. But I don't need Arc for STO, becouse I downloaded STO installer two years or more ago and if in need to reinstall STO I use that old installer.
    Second thing is about taylor. I like to have my crew clothes in their occupational colors (Tactical - red; eng - jellow; sci - blue). And when I want to change something - lets say that I decide to change uniforms, there are always problems with color changing. I mean a lot of times when i try to change - lets say belt color or badge color - the game changes instantly color on other part of the uniform also. I don't know if this is ment to be this way or not, but the player should change colors in his own way.
    Than there is ship costumization. Different problem with colors. You have ste your exterior of the ship in your own way, but you need to change the bridge. And when you go to customization, the colors and patteren are reset. So the only way to keep your current look is to cancel costumization or remember colors and patteren that you have.
    Than there is crew rename problem (bridge crew). Through the rank up and game you get your main crew, and whan you rename them, the changed names apear only in ground missions, but in other things the name stays as it was given by the game. So sometimes you need to change something with the crew (taylor), you need to think who the hell is this crew member.
    Red Alert problem - when Borg attack finishes, the red alert sign is still onscreen for a few minutes. So sometimes you arrive in sector later (to late) and when you see red alert sign, you try to kill borgs, and vhen you enter the battle, all you can do than is to exit system. So the point in this si that they should remove RA sign as soon as the Unimatrix is destroyed.
    And the list of the problems can go on and on.
    I think Cryptic should put more effort in STO, becouse players should be happy with the game and so if we would be happy, players would spend more money for STO. I think that players gives Cryptic their daily bread, wen they spend money for STO and other games. Or is Cryptic policy: "Do almost nothing and get money from players!"
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    When you can't select your ground crew... goto your stations page;
    set them all to security, and then set them back to the ground crew you want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yeah well I believe you should have read it because your response as valid as it is has nothing to do with the subject.

Nah: tl;dr. After 2 paragraphs, I saw you still hadn't made your point. After that, I just skimmned, and saw you're experiencing some bugs. Welcome to the club.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Here we go the start of yet another DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMM thread:P
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »

Sadly, I can understand why.
    patience takes its toll. After [insert playtime] hours, all those small patches that is supposed to fix things, but instead breaks things, like SERVER STABILITY, is quite annoying in the long run. People don't complain because it is surprising that it happens, but from the fact it happens nearly all the time. Again, and again, and again.

:(
    /Floozy
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    People don't complain because it is surprising that it happens, but from the fact it happens nearly all the time. Again, and again, and again.

:(

It does?

I can only comment on my own experiences, but with over 1900 hours logged into the game at various points over the few years I've been playing I have only had real trouble with it during anniversaries and when new seasons/expansions are launched.

That's a few days out of the many more I can log in and play with no problems.
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed.

According to steam I have 2113 hours logged and that's not including the time I've just gone through the STO launcher. I can't recall any major problems or disruption of service except when the expansion pack was released.

However with that said, I have certainly experienced a LOT of annoying bugs which really should have been fixed a long long time ago. Add to that the constant power creep, lack of PvP balance and the forcing of ARC on us and yes DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!
  • Options
    vizhoniavizhonia Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Indeed.

According to steam I have 2113 hours logged and that's not including the time I've just gone through the STO launcher. I can't recall any major problems or disruption of service except when the expansion pack was released.

However with that said, I have certainly experienced a LOT of annoying bugs which really should have been fixed a long long time ago. Add to that the constant power creep, lack of PvP balance and the forcing of ARC on us and yes DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!

Just for the record, Steam seems to know the real number of hours you have played and not just the amount of time you have logged in through steam.. I have almost never played STO through Steam but last I had it installed through steam and not manually, it claimed I had 500+ hours and that was not long after it showed up on Steam.
  • Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    coupaholic wrote: »
    It does?

I can only comment on my own experiences, but with over 1900 hours logged into the game at various points over the few years I've been playing I have only had real trouble with it during anniversaries and when new seasons/expansions are launched.

That's a few days out of the many more I can log in and play with no problems.

Oh, yeah, sure, There are never any problems during server maintenance, patching and alike. No, uh-uh. Never experienced that. Must be lucky then, because of what I have read, (not that one is supposed to believe everything one read, but...) I quite often see people having problems after patching and maintenance. I have also been of the more luckier ones, but funnily enough, most of the time when errors occur is... ...drumroll... ...after server maintenance and patching, not to mention the reasons You added, namely new seasons and additions. :P
    /Floozy
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    2. This has been happening awhile now, I would leave my ship and go to the crew skill trainer. Okay say I want to train one of my space crew members in High yield torpedoes. So I do this then beam back to my ship and here is where the shock comes into play. All my space crew skills are rearraged or they are just simply not there because the crew members are taken out of their stations. This is a nerve rack in my case because I have to sit back and put all my crew members back in order and make sure it is the right order in order to use my voice attack and joystick binds correctly. For the life of me I can't understand how these problems are still going on for a game that has been out this long.

Are you dropping a BOFF to slot a new BOFF so you can train the skill?

As in, say you have...

Rom Tac
    Rom Tac
    Rom Eng
    Rom Eng
    Rom Sci
    Aligned Sci

You're dropping the Aligned Sci to slot an Aligned Tac so you can use another Aligned Tac to train HY (from your example)...? Or if you want to train something else, you're going through a similar procedure with the related Aligned Career...because it's cheaper to do so than to purchase the Rom/Rem/RAlien?
  • Options
    jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    <sarcasm>Yes, of course they're trying to destroy it. After all, it generates revenue, and we can't have that, can we?</sarcasm>

(Understand that what follows is based on 25+ years of professional experience in the software development business. That being said, I don't work for either Cryptic or PWE--but I do work for a Fortune 400 corporation as a software architect and technical lead. I don't have specific insight into how Cryptic and PWE run their respective businesses--but I do know a thing or five about how it works in general.)

In any long-term software project, particularly when it's upgraded continually rather than rewritten after every n iterations, bugs creep in. People, being people, make mistakes. Bugs get prioritized according to the needs of the business, not the engineers. (I'm sorry, that's just how it goes, and I don't like it any more than you do--especially since I have to face it every day at work.)

The fact is, bug fixes don't bring in new customers, and rarely retain current customers. New content does both. Since new content means (at least the possibility of) more revenue, new content takes priority over bug fixes.

Bugs are categorized by both severity and priority, and for the sake of illustration, let's say that the numbers run from 1 to 4, with 1 being most critical, and 4 being least critical. An S4 defect might be something like the in-game bug reporting interface not working. It's a low severity bug because there's an offline interface players can use, and not being able to report bugs doesn't stop game play. An S1 defect might be something like the Solanae sphere gate crashing the game client whenever it's used.

The priority level is a way of indicating how soon something will be fixed. An S1 bug almost always gets a P1 for priority. An S[1/2]/P[1/2] might be fixed between major releases. Anything lower than that will be fixed in the next major release, although it could be done earlier if engineering determines that the fix is trivial and doesn't impact the long-term schedule--and management agrees. An S4/P4 bug will probably never be fixed, no matter how much it annoys you personally.

Now, I hear you saying "okay but why can't they just fix bugs between feature releases anyway?" The answer is straightforward: because parallel development lines on one project are a coordination nightmare. Imagine that you're trying to build new content and features into the game, and every day, you have to stop what you're doing and merge someone else's bug fixes into your code. These bug fixes run the risk of breaking the new code you're adding. (Yes, I know, but it really happens, because sometimes we program around old defects in the code base without even knowing it. It happens in large projects all the time, especially as the code base ages.) Merges on large code bases are the opposite of fun.

That means extra testing cycles, and possible re-writes, which takes more time than was originally planned and pushes the schedule out. (It also increases the project cost.) Management dislikes two things very intensely, and those two things are schedule pushes and cost increases. The amount of regression testing required for new functionality is already large; adding bug fix testing on top of it doesn't make the situation any better.

So, while you think a particular color glitch is the most annoying thing ever, it probably isn't when viewed from a more objective perspective. STO is a very large and complex software project, and it's not going to get smaller or more simple--ever. Doing a complete rewrite to reflect and support how the game has changed over time isn't going to happen either without a cash infusion from the player base or a very long-term ROI perspective on the part of PWE--whom I don't believe would be inclined to pursue such a thing. (Again, I don't speak for them; what I wrote is my opinion only.) Would you (and every other player) like to drop $60 on Cryptic and PWE in support of a ground-up rewrite?

Whatever else you believe is going on--what I've portrayed is how software development happens in the real world. Would you care to rethink your opinions based on this information?
    boldly-watched.png
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    What people don't get that throw a rock at an online game what's one of the biggest complaints?

BUGS. It's an industry wide problem. Don't believe me, go check other game forums and websites. You'll find EVERY time the 3 biggest complaints are:

-Bugs
    -Content
    -Balance

Literally World of tanks/World of Warplanes, War Thunder, Battlestar Galactica Online, This game, SWtOR, Eve, list goes on.

Those are the biggest 3 issues and will continue to be in this industry for a LOOOONNNGGGGG time.

You can either deal with it or stop playing MMO's. No MMO will EVER be bug free.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    sfc#5932 sfc Member Posts: 992 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    If you think Cryptic doesn't read their forums, go back to the forum's main page and press "Dev Tracker."

The devs are always lurking.
  • Options
    nazelnagnazelnag Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    what we see is :

good bugs are priority to fix

bugs that annoy players, by crippling they're game play, are not treated with the same diligence and just keep stacking up.

we buy new costumes and costume slots, but the tailor keeps having bugs.
    we can't use some of the klingon cloths slots.
    can't modify the romulan bof that came with a certain outfit, only allows a costume different from what it came with.

navigating with map open, prevents from accelerating, which is annoying wile trying to do missions with the map open to find next objective. ( "E" zooms the map, instead of accelerating)

and bofs fall of they're assigned station, making us enter in combat without skills in the ship.

would be nice to see some of those "BAD" old and new bugs actually fixed, with the same diligence as some of the "Good BUGS".

I've seen players actually quitting the game, when the mail change ate a bunch of items people had saved, to sell at the right time, and you prevent them deliberately of doing business. don't know if it was intentional, or not, but it sure looked like.

if it was, well, consider this ... you lost costumers - players i know, simply stopped playing because you put you're hands in they're pocket.

the constant not fixing old bugs and piling of old ones, keep annoying players, and personally, I've only stick around, because you've been making hard to resist events, since summer. i was really hopping you'd offer some lousy ship this winter event, so i could just skip it.

>.>
  • Options
    edgecrysgeredgecrysger Member Posts: 2,740 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    What people don't get that throw a rock at an online game what's one of the biggest complaints?

BUGS. It's an industry wide problem. Don't believe me, go check other game forums and websites. You'll find EVERY time the 3 biggest complaints are:

-Bugs
    -Content
    -Balance

Literally World of tanks/World of Warplanes, War Thunder, Battlestar Galactica Online, This game, SWtOR, Eve, list goes on.

Those are the biggest 3 issues and will continue to be in this industry for a LOOOONNNGGGGG time.

You can either deal with it or stop playing MMO's. No MMO will EVER be bug free.

U must be 10 years old, because you obviously didnt play any MMORG in your life or u are a little liar :D.

One thing is playing a game with some bugs, other completely different thing is playing a game where more than 50% of the bugs are important issues. This is the case of STO. And i NEVER, i repeat NEVER saw a MMORG with this problem. Not in 10 years.

Cryptic is breaking the game since long time ago, are we really going to say again the facts?? no. Im really tired of it. What happens when a company puts 5% of their effort on fixing bugs and 95% of their effort on creating new content, specially buyable one to gain money????. Trust me, i never seen this situation in any game, not mmorpg not any other one. It must be always a balance, no matter what. But for what ive seen around the community, that will never happen, since still there are a lot of players keeping wasting money because they think "cryptic" deserves it. (Laughs). So, we will never see a change, since cryptic is just fine right now and they know they will have all those customers around even if in the end the game is almost unplayable.

No. Please u cant even compare any other mmorpg with STO, u just cant. Because other mmorpgs have maybe 20% of the game broken. STO has about 65% of the game broken. But again, that is not the real problem, the real problem is, cryptic, as we said thousand of times seem not to be worried about it and they are not willing to focus on solving bugs instead anything else.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    eazzie wrote: »

You know most of the times you can tell a person who has hot air by what they say when they say it and how they say it. You call my thread dumb yet if you look how many times I even post threads or even make comment compared to how many times you have done so then you can really see who is dumb. What is it over 600 times you have interjected your comments or made some snod remark such as this? Now I for one don't mind constructive criticism however when a person such as yourself 1. come to someone's thread 2. read the thread 3. decide he's going to take it upon himself to make an idiotic remark. Yet you call my thread dumb? Hmm food for thought pal.
  • Options
    hatchetl4dhatchetl4d Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    The worst thing about it is that you don t get the feeling they actually care. If you get in contact they be like "file a bug report sry we can't help" then you file a bug report and after the 3rd you wonder if they ever even get read by someone.

I m not saying all about the game is bad. But to me it just feels like if you're stuck with a certain problem you on your own.

Examples:

-Don't have Risa rep window on a toon tutorial showed me to add lolnuts to undine rep.
    -Sound glitches.
    -Ship and shots glitch when theres more than 5 Players/NPCs arround (gamebreaking to me)
    -FPS mode glitches after a while and forces me to strafe to a side without control until I quit.

Just some examples where nobody gives a flying f*** about.

But yes please fix more costumes and outfits thatz important and add more s*** to the Z-Store.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    policestate76policestate76 Member Posts: 1,424 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    I totally agree with you, even if you DIDNT name the most important bugs that are not fixed since the beginning of times or since years ago. But the biggest problem is, cryptic seem to avoid and ignore the fact that their customers are players and they dont listen to em. They never did, unfortunately. And the other biggest problem is, they dont fix things, instead, they break more, and they keep releasing broken stuff. Im really surprised STO is still alive , but its only because a lot of players are still playing and buying stuff. But it will be a moment, eventually that the game will be so broken that any player will be really ashamed of playing (mostly because they will be not able to play at all, due to so many bugs lol).

And i completely forgot about the lack of perfromance of the game after S9. If they ignore something like this completely.. well i think that says it all, sadly.

Im really ashamed that the only game about star trek we have , i dont think will last more than 1 more year or so... sigh, i hope cryptic reacts and start doing things right.. but im afraid it is already too late.
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Necropost (nee-kro-post)

1. (noun) A post which revives an inactive ("dead") conversation on a message board. It generally attracts others who attempt to kill it by fire.

2. (verb) The act of creating a necropost. DON'T DO IT!

Synonyms: Spamming

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread which violates the PWE Community Rules and Policies or has been inactive for over 30 days before someone replied to it just report it and avoid posting in it.

Please bear in mind that re-posting in "necro'd" threads is considered a form of spamming.

Note that you're more than welcome to post in an existing active topic or to start a new thread on the topic if there are no active topics already.

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.