test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Has FAW ever *not* been bugged?

guriphuguriphu Member Posts: 494 Arc User
Just curious... has there ever been a time when there hasn't been some bug or another with Beam Fire at Will?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• capnshadow27capnshadow27 Member Posts: 1,731 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Once a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was a fire at will that worked perfectly with out fail.

:P J/K its always been OP or UP, or some generally bad place, thats why i just call it Brixed* and be done with it.

*Brixed is a fluctuating state of being both broken and fixed at the same time.
    Inertia just means you can do Powerslides in you carrier!
    I am Il Shadow and i approve these Shennanigans!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • this1isavailablethis1isavailable Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    guriphu wrote: »
    Just curious... has there ever been a time when there hasn't been some bug or another with Beam Fire at Will?

No.
    In the early days it was a 100% accurate skill that could vape any cloaked ship in a 10km sphere, even if you couldnt see them.
  • mightyleptonmightylepton Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ehm, the early days? There were alot 'earlier' days before FaW got 100% accurate.

In the very VERY early days FaW was as underpowered as Spread at the time. However back then it was sufficient for mine clearing and some small pets.

The faw back then wasnt enough to deal with the now insane hull/shield hitpoints of pets etc.

Altho agree that a power that requires very little timing and actual skill shouldnt be as OP as it is now. Even now without the critting its still to overpowered for a mere AOE ability.

GGthx
    Read the book of the Rihannsu.
  • evilbsg62evilbsg62 Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i slot FAW on my tac to clear the skies when i need to on PVE as far as strikes go an pvp for annoying yellowstones. i rarely use it to attack players
    Section 31Lane/Jeffjr/Varek @jeffjr USS Stadi/USS Grendel/USS AshigaruDreadnought Class Refit / Avenger Class Refit/Rhode Island Class Refit"With your shield or on it"/"Mors venit ad omnes."/"One with courage is a majority"https://www.youtube.com/@jeffjr84
  • l30p4rdl30p4rd Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Buwhahahah. he he he, ha ha ha ........... BUWHAHAHAHAHAHA ...... ohhhh I am s..S...SORR HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA heeeeeeeeeeeeeeehehehehehehe ohhhhhhhh :D

And now its be ... *chuckles* being rewrittennnnnn HAHAHAHAHAH BUWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ..... ohh I am sorry he he..... he....... *nose snort*

Ahem !
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i remember all the way back at game launch, FAW only effected a single beam weapon on your ship. a far cry from what its become. theres proboly been about 10 versions now.
  • brandonflbrandonfl Member Posts: 892
    edited January 2014
    i remember all the way back at game launch, FAW only effected a single beam weapon on your ship. a far cry from what its become. theres proboly been about 10 versions now.

I'd be willing to bet the reworked version they're supposed to be doing soon is gonna be a lot more in line with the whole CSV mechanic. I hope so anyway.
    LOLSTO
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    A little after S8 was released, BFAW was probably working at it's best, it applied all the modifiers from your weapons onto it (in other words, each beam fired with the mods it normally carried), and it was also capable of critting.

But before and after that 3 week period (during which all you saw was boring aux2bat cruisers, for which I am thankful they are GONE...) BFAW is, was, and probably always will be bugged.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Once a long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, there was a fire at will that worked perfectly with out fail.
    " It'll be back "
    P58WJe7.jpg

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So what folks are generally saying is...

BFAW...which many shorten to FAW...should be BAW? Bugged at Will?

Over the years, it's been a curious situation in wondering why it simply hasn't been simplified - it's obviously a cumbersome mess of spaghetti coding that's continually causing grief. Knowing what they want it to do - why not just write it from scratch to do so...eh?
  • hasukurobihasukurobi Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So what folks are generally saying is...

BFAW...which many shorten to FAW...should be BAW? Bugged at Will?

Over the years, it's been a curious situation in wondering why it simply hasn't been simplified - it's obviously a cumbersome mess of spaghetti coding that's continually causing grief. Knowing what they want it to do - why not just write it from scratch to do so...eh?

I always thought FAW worked fine... If you translate it as I do: Fail At Will.
  • dontdrunkimshootdontdrunkimshoot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    brandonfl wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet the reworked version they're supposed to be doing soon is gonna be a lot more in line with the whole CSV mechanic. I hope so anyway.

from what brandon said, it looks like all options are quite literally on the table right now. if anyone has some truly bright ideas, it might be the right time to post them in that thread. would break up the cascade of 'why dont they just push the fix FAW button?' knuckle draging, window licking, posts in that thread now.
  • hereticknight085hereticknight085 Member Posts: 3,783 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    from what brandon said, it looks like all options are quite literally on the table right now. if anyone has some truly bright ideas, it might be the right time to post them in that thread. would break up the cascade of 'why dont they just push the fix FAW button?' knuckle draging, window licking, posts in that thread now.

The only problem there being that a lot of the proposed fixes will take away the fire at willness from fire at will. It is currently the only "To hell with ALL OF YOU!!!" ability in the game. There is nothing else that produces the pure random hilarity of beams firing EVERYWHERE like BFAW.

Some people want BRF or BSV (dafuq?). I wouldn't mind the single target pain slapping of BRF, but BSV? Really? Tbh, I love BFAW as is. Shoot EVERYTHING and it's mother. Because you can. It also means you need some brainpower to use it effectively, knowing when and where to use it, what it will be optimal against, and so on and so forth.
    It is said the best weapon is one that is never fired. I disagree. The best weapon is one you only have to fire... once. B)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I was bored and decided to do a quick little search through the patch notes. Green previously favored the players while Red did not. Orange is a hrmmm thing. May have missed stuff, but it was just a quick little search...

January 9, 2014

Known Issues:
    ---Fire at Will still does not Crit.

December 19, 2013

Fire At Will:
    ---Resolved an issue that was incorrectly disabling Power Drain on all non-Phaser types of energy weapons.
    ---Resolved an issue that was causing Fire At Will to drain power for only a single activation pulse, instead of over the entire firing cycle.
    ---This was causing it to appear, for certain well-geared ships, as though no power was being drained, when it was actually just regenerating very quickly.
    ---This fix now causes the Energy Drain to behave the same as a standard Beam firing cycle - it remains drained for all 5 firing pulses, then returns after the weapon stops firing.

December 12, 2013

Fire At Will once again benefits from weapon enhancements such as Nausicaan Power Leech, Tetryon Glider, Duty Officer Abilities, and Weapon Procs.

December 5, 2013

Resolved an issue that was causing certain powers to never apply Critical Severity to successful Critical hits such as when using Fire at Will.

Resolved an issue that was causing Tetryon Beam Arrays to deal less damage than intended while enhanced with Fire-at-Will.
    ---This applies to players and NPCs.

Resolved an issue that was allowing Fire-at-Will to apply certain enhancements twice per activation or firing cycle.

May 21, 2013

Space energy procs, like Phasers Subsystem Offline or Plasma DoT, will now work with Fire at Will.

April 11, 2013

Beam: Fire-at-Will no longer drains more Weapon Energy than intended.

April 4, 2013

Updated Fire at Will:
    ---Beam: Fire at Will is now capable of benefiting from weapon modifiers such as [Acc], [CrtH], etc.
    ---The energy drain inflicted by Fire at Will activation now only happens if you are actually able to fire upon an enemy.

March 29, 2012

Updated Beam - Fire at Will:
    ---All ranks of this power should now be capable of missing their target, rather than having an artificial 100% accuracy.
    ---The accuracy of this power should now properly inherit the modifiers of the user and target.

July 6th, 2011

Fire at Will Update:
    ---Fire At Will now lasts for 10 seconds, instead of 15 seconds.
    ---Dual beam banks under Fire At Will will fire on two targets if more than one is available.
    ---Fire At Will should now be subject to accuracy.

March 25, 2011

Beam Fire at Will:
    ---Improved Fire at Will to attack up to two targets per weapon.
    ---One fires at the primary target, while the other attacks a different random target within arc.
    ---This is compared to Cannon Scatter Volley that attacks up to three targets per weapon. One fires at the primary target, while the other two fire at different targets closest to the attacker within arc.

February 18, 2011

Beam Fire at Will:
    ---Corrected error that had the damage improvement for beam array scaling differently from dual beam bank. Both now improve DPS by 25%, 32%, and 40% for versions I, II, III respectively.
    ---Corrected error that had 360 degree weapons have a 250 degree arc when using Fire at Will. They now have a full 360 degree arc when using Fire at Will.

November 12, 2010

Fire at Will, Mines, Tricobalt Device, and High Yield Plasma Torpedo no longer "misfire."

March 24, 2010

Beam arrays and Beam banks were incorrectly doing the same damage with Fire at Will and are now working properly with the power.
    edited January 2014

December 5, 2013

Resolved an issue that was causing certain powers to never apply Critical Severity to successful Critical hits such as when using Fire at Will.

This. This piece right here. THAT is the last fix needed. While most would say it doesnt benefit players that woul be the best most even thing i could think of, FAW will get criticals, allowing it to proc properly, WITHOUT allowing it to get the massive severity hits.

I would honestly be happy if they fixed the Crit chance part and left the Severity part out of BFAW. I think that would be fairest. BFAW can spread procs like a disease, but only tickle things. I would accept this :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This. This piece right here. THAT is the last fix needed. While most would say it doesnt benefit players that woul be the best most even thing i could think of, FAW will get criticals, allowing it to proc properly, WITHOUT allowing it to get the massive severity hits.

I would honestly be happy if they fixed the Crit chance part and left the Severity part out of BFAW. I think that would be fairest. BFAW can spread procs like a disease, but only tickle things. I would accept this :D

Would you accept, then, that CSV suffer from the same?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
    edited January 2014
    Would you accept, then, that CSV suffer from the same?

Well, yeah. I mean im primarily a beam user but i dont see why it wouldnt be fair to do that to CSV, also, but i could bet that most people who often use CSV would not like it.

Bu like i said i am primarily a beam user.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I use both, although I so far, only have one character that has some ships with cannons, others with beams.
    But it seems like most cannon users (at least that I've run across) want their cannons (especially CSV) to either not be messed with, or boosted, but at the same time, for beams (especially FAW), to be nerfed into pointlessness.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 928 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    *Applauds*

Nicely done...
    I was bored and decided to do a quick little search through the patch notes. Green previously favored the players while Red did not. Orange is a hrmmm thing. May have missed stuff, but it was just a quick little search...

January 9, 2014

Known Issues:
    ---Fire at Will still does not Crit.

December 19, 2013

Fire At Will:
    ---Resolved an issue that was incorrectly disabling Power Drain on all non-Phaser types of energy weapons.
    ---Resolved an issue that was causing Fire At Will to drain power for only a single activation pulse, instead of over the entire firing cycle.
    ---This was causing it to appear, for certain well-geared ships, as though no power was being drained, when it was actually just regenerating very quickly.
    ---This fix now causes the Energy Drain to behave the same as a standard Beam firing cycle - it remains drained for all 5 firing pulses, then returns after the weapon stops firing.

December 12, 2013

Fire At Will once again benefits from weapon enhancements such as Nausicaan Power Leech, Tetryon Glider, Duty Officer Abilities, and Weapon Procs.

December 5, 2013

Resolved an issue that was causing Tetryon Beam Arrays to deal less damage than intended while enhanced with Fire-at-Will.
    ---This applies to players and NPCs.

Resolved an issue that was allowing Fire-at-Will to apply certain enhancements twice per activation or firing cycle.

May 21, 2013

Space energy procs, like Phasers Subsystem Offline or Plasma DoT, will now work with Fire at Will.

April 11, 2013

Beam: Fire-at-Will no longer drains more Weapon Energy than intended.

April 4, 2013

Updated Fire at Will:
    ---Beam: Fire at Will is now capable of benefiting from weapon modifiers such as [Acc], [CrtH], etc.
    ---The energy drain inflicted by Fire at Will activation now only happens if you are actually able to fire upon an enemy.

March 29, 2012

Updated Beam - Fire at Will:
    ---All ranks of this power should now be capable of missing their target, rather than having an artificial 100% accuracy.
    ---The accuracy of this power should now properly inherit the modifiers of the user and target.

July 6th, 2011

Fire at Will Update:
    ---Fire At Will now lasts for 10 seconds, instead of 15 seconds.
    ---Dual beam banks under Fire At Will will fire on two targets if more than one is available.
    ---Fire At Will should now be subject to accuracy.

March 25, 2011

Beam Fire at Will:
    ---Improved Fire at Will to attack up to two targets per weapon.
    ---One fires at the primary target, while the other attacks a different random target within arc.
    ---This is compared to Cannon Scatter Volley that attacks up to three targets per weapon. One fires at the primary target, while the other two fire at different targets closest to the attacker within arc.

February 18, 2011

Beam Fire at Will:
    ---Corrected error that had the damage improvement for beam array scaling differently from dual beam bank. Both now improve DPS by 25%, 32%, and 40% for versions I, II, III respectively.
    ---Corrected error that had 360 degree weapons have a 250 degree arc when using Fire at Will. They now have a full 360 degree arc when using Fire at Will.

November 12, 2010

Fire at Will, Mines, Tricobalt Device, and High Yield Plasma Torpedo no longer "misfire."

March 24, 2010

Beam arrays and Beam banks were incorrectly doing the same damage with Fire at Will and are now working properly with the power.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
    edited January 2014
    I use both, although I so far, only have one character that has some ships with cannons, others with beams.
    But it seems like most cannon users (at least that I've run across) want their cannons (especially CSV) to either not be messed with, or boosted, but at the same time, for beams (especially FAW), to be nerfed into pointlessness.

Well i guess that s why beams always change and cannons dont.

Well the powers at least, seem to fluctuate up and down for beams and not cannons but the fluctuation of beams seems to happen on the whim and fancy of cannon users.

Cannon guys say Beams and BFAW is OP, boom nerfed. Beams users then turna round and complain that they need to be buffed, we get a smallish buff (not really small but not exactly hue ether), then after a bit cannon guys complain its OP again. Begin the Cycle a new.

So yeah CSV and BFAW should get the CritH but not the CritD, cause everyone likes to complain about the D.

So in fairness CSV and BFAW should take the same exact hits to their functionality.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]