test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

About Coliseum

echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
This particular mission has to be the worst thought-out mission of the game (so far as I have played it.) Yes, this is a mini-rant, but I'll try to stay respectful.

I have a friend who absolutely abhors this mission and she will skip it on her Fed toons, but still despises it for her Rom toons. She only plays it as a Rom because it's more personal to a Rom than to a Fed or even a Kling.

For one thing, there are plot holes the size of the Bajoran wormhole in it. Such as:

Okay, I can get there is a dampening field in place on the Coliseum to keep weapons (and likely sensors) from working.

However, wouldn't a ship pick up on a dampening field that big and at least guess that's where their captain is being held? Wouldn't any good crew beam down to investigate? After all, they would know she's down there somewhere.

And even if they didn't, the disabling field was shut down when they 'escaped'. The crew would have then been able to pick their captain up after that. Why did they not beam them up? Would they not have been scanning the entire planet?

And even then....wouldn't they have picked up the scorpion fighters flying in a search pattern in the desert? And wouldn't they have detected the Reman and their captain down there?

All this is before they have to spend the night in the cave and resume going to the crashed ship. Slamek could have been beamed to sickbay if he's that bad off. Speaking of that, wouldn't the ship crew have seen the weapons discharging on the surface when they were going through the canyon and assumed that 'maybe' that was their captain?

All in all, my friend says that she wants to know what the devs were smoking and can she have some of it? This whole mission makes our bridge crews look like they were replaced by incompetent nincompoops-to the point where, in her captain's story, the offending, incompetent bridge crew is severely disciplined for their, well, incompetence.

Frankly, we've been brainstorming for ways to explain our bridge crew's apparent stupidity in not finding our captain until they're about to be disintegrated by Hakeev's lackeys.

Okay, rant over. If this is the wrong place to be putting this, feel free to move it where it belongs, because I couldn't find an appropriate place to put it.

Edit: I'd like to point out that this mission starts in the Nopada system. The snaring device is very likely in orbit around the desert planet of Nopada. Then when you're on the ground the map labels say "Nopada" therefore you can infer that your crew is very likely in orbit or not far from it. And its established canon that the average ship can scan well further than a single solar system.
Now a LTS and loving it.
Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
Post edited by echatty on

Comments

• breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    btw, some fields are low signature, or disperse in nature.
    sensors might not necessarily pick it up.
    oh, since the captain did not have an active transponder, that is a lot of space to cover.

I looked at it as if there was a vast amount of space that had to be scanned and it was
    made more difficult with the interference, that is until the captain sent a signal.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Made a small edit above, because, someone actually brought that point up in the very next post.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited January 2014
    Oh, and she also said that it could be fixed with a small dialogue box stating that the snare damaged some onboard systems, such as sensors and maybe transporters, which had to be fixed before they could scan for her.

She said the devs are welcome to use it if they want. It would make the whole mission more palatable to us more discerning players who are very attached to our bridge crews and don't like them being portrayed as incompetent.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    This is one of those missions that I absolutely hate, for reasons you didn't state. At one point it was awfully buggy with a lot of rubber-banding in the arena fights. And then you spend a good half of it just running, in the desert, for a long time, occasionally stopping to kill randoms animals.

Now your plot holes have given me more reasons to loathe this mission. The one is how can a ship that has sensors and the computing power to fling itself through space at faster than light speeds have a hard time finding the only inhabited/technological thing on an otherwise uninhabited planet. Especially given that we don't know how long our character had been in custody from where our part of the story takes off.

I have long accepted the fact that my BOFFs are bumbling nimcompoops that need to be told literally where to stand. After spending a lot of time in the Dyson sphere battlezone I've noticed that half time they aren't even firing their weapon. And don't even give them stuff like power cells, they were just popping those things off like they were Starburst, even when we weren't fighting anything. But this fits in with the general Star Trek theme that everybody but our hero(s) are pretty much C- students and couldn't find their way out of a wet paper bag (re: 1st battle of Chintoka). In this case our BOFFs are the dumb dumbs who only got into Starfleet because their dad was an Admiral or a Federation councilor or something.
  • rahmkota19rahmkota19 Member Posts: 1,929 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its not the plot holes that really grind my gear. I mean, c'mon, we have had more than 1 unfinished story at that time, especially as a Romulan.

I just really, reeeeeaaaaaaalllllllllyyyyyy hate the huge lag map of the Desert. And the amount of space you need to run there. I mean, I don't object to a hike, I'm on Scouting so yeah. But that amount? In a game?

b
    o
    o
    r
    i
    i
    i
    i
    i
    n
    g

So OP, I'm with you on this one. Coliseum needs a big rewrite/remapping. I'll volunteer in the Foundry if needed!
    edited January 2014
    Thanks for the feedback so far. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has problems with this mission. I've had rubberbanding in a lot of missions lately, usually just before I'm about to get kicked from the server.

If you want to do something in the foundry, feel free. I'm not familiar with it at all so I wouldn't be any help.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited January 2014
    And I feel for you about the BOFFs being dum-dums.

In Ghost Ship it takes them forever to realize that "Hey, it's Devidians!"
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I think it's a bigger plot hole that your character is even allowed to keep his/her weapons, armor, and shield in the first place. It's shown many times in Star Trek that you can get rid of weapons while going through the transporter. Why wouldn't Hakeev do this here?
    y1arXbh.png

edited January 2014
    sle1989 wrote: »
    I think it's a bigger plot hole that your character is even allowed to keep his/her weapons, armor, and shield in the first place. It's shown many times in Star Trek that you can get rid of weapons while going through the transporter. Why wouldn't Hakeev do this here?
    Oh, that's a very good point, and one that did cross my mind and that I didn't put in my initial post.

Thank you for reminding me.

I thought of it because last time I did it, I took the Winter Bat'leth with me and used it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited January 2014
    But in answer to that, my friend put it off to Hakeev's arrogance and his trust in his dampening field. And also, she surmises it's part of the psych-torture of having weapons and not being able to use them.

But then he knew you were going to escape since he arranged that too, so why let you escape with weapons is beyond me, unless he wanted to be sure you'd survive to see his face when his lackeys killed you.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • kestrelliuskestrellius Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe they're still recovering from the magic ship-torture beam?

Either that or the whole installation is just cloaked. That is, there's a cloaking field around it. I'm guessing that's possible; I mean, how hard could it be.
    edited January 2014
    Maybe they're still recovering from the magic ship-torture beam?

Either that or the whole installation is just cloaked. That is, there's a cloaking field around it. I'm guessing that's possible; I mean, how hard could it be.
    Even so, once she disabled the dampening field and left, couldn't her ship have found her without her having to run halfway across the desert and MacGyver a transmitter?
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Oooh interesting thread.

I'm the friend Chatty was talking about. She posted what I was too lazy to, given that a few clicks of the mouse means I can drop and skip this abomination of a mission with no fuss.

In answer to the cloaking field idea around the facility, it's a good one but it wasn't mentioned in the mission. We're having to guess and invent excuses because these things are obvious and glaring issues yet aren't explained.

And... leaving us armed/armoured. I admit I did kinda overlook that one. I thought about it once, dismissed it as arrogance or psych-torture on Hakeev's part and didn't think any more about it.
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    remember, this mission was made before they had the tech from Temporal Ambassador that let them override your character's gear/clothing, I'm sure that if cryptic could have disarmed you back then, they would have.

And I could have sworn they had explained somewhere that the snare had damaged the player's ship.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    First, Hakeev never read the evil overlord list. The whole gladiator thing is right out. The faked escape is right out.

And the one hole no one mentioned yet. You. Still. Have. Your. Communicator.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited January 2014
    Another hole that was mentioned by Miko. If this was supposed to be some kind of experiment (Found out by reading the files) then why did he not snatch the entire away team instead of just the Captain? Then he'd have had three other fresh test subjects.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • desertjetsdesertjets Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Hakeev is a ****, so I could buy the whole you still have your kit and weapon but it doesn't work bit.

I did forget that the snare did do a number on the ships systems. So I can forgive them not looking for me right away, but we also don't know how long we've been out before we wake up in the holding cell either. But knowing that our Boffs are utterly incompetent and couldn't figure out which end of the hyperspanner to use, maybe it makes sense then that I have to MacGyver my way off the planet. So there is a little less need for technobabble to explain this one away.

The weird thing about Coliseum is this is one of those missions that I think is actually well liked by many people. Granted it doesn't follow the traditional formula that most missions have (arrive in system, shoot bad guys. go to planet/station shoot more bad guys. beam up to ship and finish off a few more bad guys). So its got that going for it and credit where it is due it does shake up the formula reasonably well, even with the 1k run across the desert. Even though I am not a puzzle fan, I wish the puzzle was more than just basic arithmetic.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    First, Hakeev never read the evil overlord list. The whole gladiator thing is right out. The faked escape is right out.

And the one hole no one mentioned yet. You. Still. Have. Your. Communicator.

No way? Seriously? LOL.

I have the armour visuals enabled on my Fed toons so the Communicator doesn't show up. I don't think the visuals show up on my Romulan either due to my customization.

I didn't even realise that. It just puts the mission on a whole new low.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    So what if you have your combadge? It doesn't work. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited January 2014
    Not solely a coliseum effect, but if dampening fields can just turn gear off but you can shield your own equipment. IE the in room force fields and the auto cannons still worked. Then why does everyone not simply shield against them as a matter of course? Do they like random enemies turning them off?
    (Noting B'vat had one covering a whole system, then Hakeev had one at minimum cover the coliseum.)

edited January 2014
    I'm guessing they're expensive and possibly unreliable...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • f9thaceshighf9thaceshigh Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Maybe the resonance frequencies of the forcefields, Scorpions and stuff are tuned to cancel out the effect of the dampening field on them.;)
    edited January 2014
    Which for this chain would make this the better one to give a romulan disruptor than Frozen. In Frozen you just scoop something up because meh. If this episode had you take a weapon as it was the only way to get an energy weapon that worked. . .

• daqheghdaqhegh Member Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    My issues with this mission are from the way it's designed.

It isn't the amount of space or desert. That was actually a semi-new thing when this mission was released.

I hate that there is a forced teaming dynamic embedded in it. Yeah, you can play it solo and still get the loot. BUT you won't get bonuses or accolades if you don't have a team. And the worst part? You have to have at least one of each specialty on your team. AND your BOffs can't do any of the special stuff for you, despite being trained in said specialties. Other maps have this feature (namely, Of Bajor) and it PISSES me off. Three are accolades on that planet I have yet to get because it's almost impossible to find a team with the right people AND people who actually know what they're doing and how to do the bonuses. I have the same problem in the arena -- no one wants to team, and even when they do no one wants to listen and learn how to get the extra stuff. Makes me wonder why we have to team for STFs -- the same problem is there, only MUCH more so. Forced teaming sucks and does little more than punish the players who actually care about what they're doing.

I actually liked that there was a map designed to be explored. Yeah, there's certain things that need to be found and whatnot. But the opportunity to run around and see new things was great. It's a shame there weren't any random things to find, like old weapons or skeletons of aliens that didn't make it out alive. It's all very linear, but the map itself was really a nice change of pace.

The rubber banding and lag are annoying. But the first time I did this one I had the fancy C-Store Bat'leth and I go into the arena, only to be surrounded by monsters and Kirk's classic fight music playing in the background. That moment alone made it all worthwhile.
    My Old Blog about things that could and should have been added when I wrote it. Not sure what I want to do with it now. I'll just keep it available now that most of it is outdated.
    edited January 2014
    Teaming is fine... as long as you don't rely on PUGs... even then I've often had reasonable success in PUGs....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    That's my favorite mission in the whole game. The map is really cool, the flying scorpion are awesome, the night, the crashed ship etc...
    Also, for non conventional gameplay, having to fight in the arena, alone, and melee combat.
    Finally, it is the only mission where I had to fight for survival. I mean, we always fight, but usually it's part of some mission, but in Coliseum, you fight for your own skin. That was more personal than any other mission.

There are still a few glitch, like Slamek getting stuck and unable to assist you if you run instead of walking, etc... but otherwise it's an awesome mission.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited January 2014
    erei1 wrote: »
    That's my favorite mission in the whole game. The map is really cool, the flying scorpion are awesome, the night, the crashed ship etc...
    Also, for non conventional gameplay, having to fight in the arena, alone, and melee combat.
    Finally, it is the only mission where I had to fight for survival. I mean, we always fight, but usually it's part of some mission, but in Coliseum, you fight for your own skin. That was more personal than any other mission.

There are still a few glitch, like Slamek getting stuck and unable to assist you if you run instead of walking, etc... but otherwise it's an awesome mission.
    Slamek also freaks out if I climb the canyon walls. It almost like he's hiding something. :D
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • kneeliftkneelift Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    its too bright in here