test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

bran flakes

origcaptainquackorigcaptainquack Member Posts: 614 Arc User
I don't understand. is branflakes a pwe employee or cryptic employee? I know infront of bran flakes name says pwe but he plays star trek. I seen him, he holds events and seems to have as much or more fun then we do. don't get me wrong not complaining just don't understand. why is pwe having people help players have good time and cryptic not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    PWE is the parent company. I believe he works for Cryptic, his name could be a tad misleading if you didnt know what the relation with PWE is.
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • Options
    josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    He is an employee of Perfect World Entertainment. He is the Community Manager for PWE's title Star Trek Online.

PWE has a different Community Manager for each of it's titles.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • Options
    gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    All Cryptic Employees work for PWE. Not all PWE employees work for Cryptic.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    I think im just as confused.
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited January 2014
    I am employed by Perfect World Entertainment, and am on the STO team. I work in the PWE office that is about 30 minutes north of Cryptic, and am down at the studios often. I have been playing STO since Closed Beta, long before working here :) Check out my original intro post here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242509

Here's a glimpse at what I do as your Community Manager:
    As STO's Community Manager, my days find me acting as a bridge of information between the development team at Cryptic Studios, the publishing team at Perfect World, and the players. I'm the Web Content Manager for our website and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.); I produce, edit and publish all news posts and blogs that go on the site (of course, the blogs that are written by said Devs are written by them); I capture and create most of the screenshots and some of the wallpapers you see on the site; I participate in and oversee our forums; I gather community feedback and share it through my reports to, and meetings with, the Devs; I create and run our Community events (in-game, forum, Foundry, etc.); I work with PR to schedule developer interviews and generate Press Releases; I hold Community Meet-ups around the world, and attend the Vegas convention each year/ participate in panels; I am working on special projects that are on the publisher side (PWE), like the Livestreams, etc.; I work with our design team to create the Launcher Ads, as well as the art you see on the site; I work closely with StarTrek.com to promote STO and post guest blogs; I work with the community to bring ideas and initiatives to fruition (e.g. PvP Boot Camp, the Spotlight on the Foundry, etc.); and much, much more.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    altechachanaltechachan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014

I'm just paraphrasing what the others said but:
    1. Perfect World Entertainment (PWE) bought Cryptic Studios which develops and runs Star Trek Online
    2. Brandon works for PWE
    3. Brandon gets assigned by PWE to be the Community Manager for Star Trek Online at Cryptic Studios
    Member since November 2009... I think.
    (UFP) Ragnar
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Branflakes runs the day to day things for the community, as a PWE employee hes the friendly face of PWE's business dealings on the forums and in game. so if there is a patch or new expansion and what not coming out he will be the first one to let us know about an "exciting new journey!" coming to a game, he is also to make sure issues with the game gets back to the right ears so game related issues are solved as soon as possible.

Cryptic is basically PWE, a separate group within a larger group much like Bioware is to EA. so calling Branflakes a Cryptic employee or PWE employee is the same thing.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2014
    You want a quick answer, he does PR. He's the guy that speaks for the devs and hypes up the game as much as possible. He sounded specially fake in those 2 videos done with captain kiki. At least the videos he does now while playing the game are much better and no fake scripted junk.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Ok, let's see if I can make it clear...

Perfect Word Entertainment owns Cryptic Studios, and by extension, Star Trek Online.

The Devs at Cryptic are employees of Cryptic Studios, and by extension, they are also employees of Perfect World. They are denoted on the forums with the Cryptic tag in their forum names. They also have their own office, totally separate from the Perfect World Entertainment office.

Brandon is an employee of Perfect World Entertainment, NOT Cryptic. This can be noted by the PWE in his forum name. He was hired by PWE to basically be the community representative for the Cryptic game, Star Trek Online.

Brandon is not a developer. He manages the Star Trek Online website, twitter feed and other community resources for Perfect World.

At the end of the day, PWE signs Brandon's paycheck, whereas Cryptic signs the developer's paychecks.

edit: Ninja'd by Brandon himself....
    The Armada
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014
    He manages the Star Trek Online website, twitter feed and other community resources for Perfect World.

I believe PWE_CaptainSmirk does some of this now as well as filling in for Branflakes when he's off doing [REDACTED].
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    wow, pwe brandonflakes you work like dog. I think you deserve a raise. no more time off for you as game suffers in your absence. unless you can clone yourself. :D
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Ever watch a parade with Elephants? See the guy walking behind the elephant with a garbage can and a shovel... that would be Brandon ;)

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    I believe PWE_CaptainSmirk does some of this now as well as filling in for Branflakes when he's off doing [REDACTED].

Well, of course, but [REDACTED]!!
    The Armada
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    As STO's Community Manager, my days find me acting as a bridge of information between the development team at Cryptic Studios, the publishing team at Perfect World, and the players. I'm the Web Content Manager for our website and social media outlets (Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, etc.); I produce, edit and publish all news posts and blogs that go on the site (of course, the blogs that are written by said Devs are written by them); I capture and create most of the screenshots and some of the wallpapers you see on the site; I participate in and oversee our forums; I gather community feedback and share it through my reports to, and meetings with, the Devs; I create and run our Community events (in-game, forum, Foundry, etc.); I work with PR to schedule developer interviews and generate Press Releases; I hold Community Meet-ups around the world, and attend the Vegas convention each year/ participate in panels; I am working on special projects that are on the publisher side (PWE), like the Livestreams, etc.; I work with our design team to create the Launcher Ads, as well as the art you see on the site; I work closely with StarTrek.com to promote STO and post guest blogs; I work with the community to bring ideas and initiatives to fruition (e.g. PvP Boot Camp, the Spotlight on the Foundry, etc.); and much, much more.

But can you twist the staffs arm into making a Galaxy class 3 pack?! :D
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    i just want to say , having a community manager that actually plays and enjoys the game is important . the fact that Brandon was a player first then employee is a bonus .
    alot of community mangers ive seen with other IPs have no clue about the game and have no real connection to the community they work with .
    STO is very lucky in that regard.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    quepan wrote: »
    i just want to say , having a community manager that actually plays and enjoys the game is important . the fact that Brandon was a player first then employee is a bonus .
    alot of community mangers ive seen with other IPs have no clue about the game and have no real connection to the community they work with .
    STO is very lucky in that regard.

cryptic before becoming pwe had dstahl, but he was mostly full of unfulfilled promises. with branflakes though, the community has changed as well as the game the past few years.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    <3

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    robdmcrobdmc Member Posts: 1,619 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I prefer raisins in my branflakes. 2 scoops of them.
  • Options
    bitemepwebitemepwe Member Posts: 6,760 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Its all very cryptic, isn't it?
    Leonard Nimoy, Spock.....:(

R.I.P
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    branflakes, cool. am glad that you're here and take an active role. :}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,000 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am employed by Perfect World Entertainment, and am on the STO team. I work in the PWE office that is about 30 minutes north of Cryptic, and am down at the studios often. I have been playing STO since Closed Beta, long before working here :) Check out my original intro post here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=242509

Here's a glimpse at what I do as your Community Manager:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

So all in all you really don't do much then :P

And tomorrow when I try to use the forum I find I'm suspended :P
  • Options
    jeffel82jeffel82 Member Posts: 2,075 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cryptic before becoming pwe had dstahl, but he was mostly full of unfulfilled promises. with branflakes though, the community has changed as well as the game the past few years.

Er, no. Before PWE acquired Cryptic, Stahl was the executive producer in charge of STO.

Since Branflakes came along, Stahl is...the executive producer in charge of STO*.

*Yes, Stahl left and came back at one point, and was not the EP when STO began, but the statement I'm quoting is just...wrong.
    You're right. The work here is very important.
    tacofangs wrote: »
    ...talking to players is like being a mall Santa. Everyone immediately wants to tell you all of the things they want, and you are absolutely powerless to deliver 99% of them.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Branflakes is the velvet glove over the iron fist of PWE! ;)
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    jeffel82 wrote: »
    Er, no. Before PWE acquired Cryptic, Stahl was the executive producer in charge of STO.

Since Branflakes came along, Stahl is...the executive producer in charge of STO*.

*Yes, Stahl left and came back at one point, and was not the EP when STO began, but the statement I'm quoting is just...wrong.

I remember when people praised stahl, now they despise him. It's crazy.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    kahless2001kahless2001 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Brandon is god.

He just occasionally requires a starship.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited January 2014

This is true. A more apt comparison would be to the community manager we had before PWE came along. I believe it was Wishstone?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    edited January 2014

he acted like it and as i recalled the community person was not around, so in my mind he was very much like branflakes is. in a sense im right, but as you say, officially im wrong.
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    This is true. A more apt comparison would be to the community manager we had before PWE came along. I believe it was Wishstone?

Yes, Wishstone did hold that position, for a time, then SalamiInferno, who trained Brandon.
    The Armada
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Yes, Wishstone did hold that position, for a time, then SalamiInferno, who trained Brandon.

Not Salami, it was Stormshade, who was around before Wishy :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited January 2014
    Not Salami, it was Stormshade, who was around before Wishy :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

what happened to stormshade anyways?