test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Plasma vs Transphasic/tetryon

cancelleracancellera Member Posts: 77 Arc User
Hi folks, could use some advice on choosing torpedoes.

So here's the thing:

I use transphasic projectiles because I can deal severe damage even before enemy shields are down, and deal even more damage once they are. Tetryon energy weapons mean that enemy shields drop fairly quickly too.

But would plasma energy and projectile weapons do it faster? Or more deadly? It seems that plasma projectiles do far more kinetic damage.

I'm not sure if plasma burn works on the shields or the hull. For mines, the shields are ignored. But does plasma burn from beam arrays and torpedoes also ignore shields?

Cheers.
Post edited by cancellera on

Comments

• majortiraomegamajortiraomega Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yes, all plasma based DoT attacks have the 100% shield bypassing property. The same is true for the Gravimetric Photon Torpedo, though that is an area of effect shield bypassing attack with damage scaling on particle generators and pull scaling on graviton generators.
    --->Ground PvP Concerns Directory 4.0
    --->Ground Combat General Bugs Directory
    Real join date: March 2012 / PvP Veteran since May 2012 (Ground and Space)
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    cancellera wrote: »
    /snip

...I use transphasic projectiles because I can deal severe damage even before enemy shields are down, and deal even more damage once they are...

/snip

...It seems that plasma projectiles do far more kinetic damage...

/snip

The bit about the DoTs was answered, but I wanted to touch on this aspect. The base kinetic damage of the standard torps is...

Chroniton 1158
    Photon 1352
    Plasma 1061
    Quantum 1503
    Transphasic 978
    Tricobalt 4154

They're not like Energy Weapons, where the base damage for each type of weapon is the same. An AP DHC and a Pol DHC both have a base of 174...then you add in the special bit for the particular flavor.

The damage is different from the start for torps...because not only do they have their special bits, they also have different base recharge times.

Here's kind of a basic breakdown from STOwiki on the differences there...

Chroniton: Chance to debuff flight speed and turn rate, 10 second reload
    Photon: Highest DPS, 6 second reload
    Plasma: Plasma DoT, 8 second reload
    Quantum: High damage per shot, 8 second reload
    Transphasic: High shield penetration, 10 second reload
    Tricobalt: High AoE damage with disable, destructible projectile, 30 second reload

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Torpedo

...now, regarding those Photons saying they've got the "Highest DPS" - that's going to be Kinetic & unbuffed, if it's true at all. Not really going to get into that kind of debate at the moment. Suffice to say, you'll usually see folks talking about Plasma for their Plasma DoT - since it keeps doing damage between Torps actually being fired.

But yeah, Trans do the least kinetic DPV once shields are down - so you would see Plasma doing more kinetic damage than them at that point (and then add in the Plasma DoT).

Which torp is best, is going to depend on your overall build - what you're fighting - etc, etc, etc. There are other torps beyond those basic ones, but there's not the hybrid variety like we see with Energy weapons. Maybe this year, we'll get more? Without having to get lucky with a 275 Zen Lottery Ticket, eh? Meh...
  • cancelleracancellera Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Yea I used to use plasma mines because they could keep doing damage even after impact. This is especially helpful for cruiser-style gameplay with a relatively slower turn rate and hence less opportunity to launch projectiles.

I run a stock avenger cruiser with tetryon beams/cannons and Transphasic torpedoes. Just acquired the Transphasic mine cluster too - a destructible torpedo that flys faster than a heavy plasma and lays 10 (!!!) trans mines. Great for that final blow.

The thing with plasma DoT is that it doesn't stack right? So if I launch a torp spread of plasma torpedoes, only one with burn. correct? I think the same applies with plasma energy weapons, yes?

The secondary effects of Tetryon weapons all have a one-off effect, which means all the hits will have cumulative effects. Therefore they inflict more damage. Is this line of reasoning correct?
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The thing with plasma DoT is that it doesn't stack right?

Wrong. For torpedoes, each plasma DOT counts. If you look at a target being heavily bombarded by an uber plasma torp boat, you can see at least 10, sometimes as high as 20 different plasma fire effects on its clutter bar.

(if you plasma boat on a carrier and fly elite scorpions, you can usually start working on a new target as soon as whatever you're shooting hits 25%....they're already dead from plasma burn, it just takes a moment to catch up with them)
  • xaerethxaereth Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I find myself leaning toward the plasma weapons and projectiles more often than not...IMO, it just seems to have the best base dps (all things counted for) out of all available.

Perhaps it's just more that fewer things have plasma resistance *shrugs*
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well, the new 'sideways' Voth transphasics could be interesting (I don't have em yet), and possibly change the math. Not gonna spend 400+ mil EC to find out, though. :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited January 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Well, the new 'sideways' Voth transphasics could be interesting (I don't have em yet), and possibly change the math. Not gonna spend 400+ mil EC to find out, though. :)

Here's the info page on the Wide Angle Voth Transphasic-Chroniton Launcher [Acc] [Arc]
    http://momaw.kikaimegami.com/sto-vothwidetorpd.png

For comparison sake so you can see how my character is influencing the numbers, here's an old-school Photon Torpedo Launcher Mk XII [CrtD] [CrtH] [Borg]
    http://momaw.kikaimegami.com/sto-stfphotontorp.png
  • snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Chroniton 1158
    Photon 1352
    Plasma 1061
    Quantum 1503
    Transphasic 978
    Tricobalt 4154

Photon: Highest DPS, 6 second reload
    Plasma: Plasma DoT, 8 second reload
    Quantum: High damage per shot, 8 second reload
    Transphasic: High shield penetration, 10 second reload
    Tricobalt: High AoE damage with disable, destructible projectile, 30 second reload

Chroniton: 1158/10 sec = 115.8 dps + 33% immobilize
    Photon: 1352/6 sec = 225.3 dps
    Plasma: 1061/8 sec + <something three-digit>/15sec ~= 145 dps
    Quantum: 1503/8 sec = 188 dps
    Transph.: 978/10 sec = 97.8 dps
    Tricobalt: 4154/30 sec = 138.4 dps

->> photons do most dps (use for sustained)
    ->> quantums and trics do most single damage (use for spike)
    ->> everything else: use only if boosted by sets/equip

and for the OP: Polarons always beat Tetryons.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    snowpig74 wrote: »
    stuff...

Mix in PWOs...vs. Shielded Targets....

...it's going to vary.
    edited January 2014
    snowpig74 wrote: »
    ->> photons do most dps (use for sustained)

Actually, both the Omega launcher and Romulan Hyper-plasma have higher sustained DPS than a photon torpedo launcher with a significant portion of their damage ignoring shields.
  • cancelleracancellera Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Are plasma a really better than transphasics? The base plasma burn for plasm mk XII is 694, but transphasics have a 40% penetration out of about 2100, which equates to 880 shield penetration.

Unless of course shields are down, in which case plasma wins it all. Unless there are plasmas with an equally high burn, it doesn't seem as versatile.

The reputation plasma torps may match it but from what I've read, they're either destructible or need several quick shots to build up that dps - again making them less versatile.

Given the limited arc of torps and it's poor effect against shields (which faces at least 3 sides of any one battle), versatility seems more practical. ESP for cruisers that can put an enemy into torp angles very easily
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    just had to say that the trans/tets are not very synergistic.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tksmittytksmitty Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Plasma torpedoes are my personal favorite. Using the Omega and Hyper plasma torps together works against just about everything except the Voth and every player flying a FAW spam boat (which has to be no less than 90% of of players).

As for plasma DoT stacking, yes they do. I regularly see plasma fire from my plasma energy weapons (and/or hyperflux), Omega torp, Hyper torp, scorpion energy weapons and scorpion torpedoes all stacked together on one target (many times that target is me!)

I actually tried using transphasic torpedoes in the place of the plasmas and found it to be less effective. I have tested plasma and transphasics off and on for the last six months, and I just can't tear myself away from my hull burners.
    The reputation plasma torps may match it but from what I've read, they're either destructible or need several quick shots to build up that dps - again making them less versatile.

The Romulan Hyper plasma Torpedo is the destructible one. Yes, it is annoying when they get shot down. Getting close to your target (close to the point where you splash yourself) to minimize travel time and working around the AoE spam will help you to land them. The Omega Plasma Torpedo might require a few shots to build up its burn, but you can keep plinking away at your target and keep that burn going. I find the omega torpedo getting put on just about every ship I fly whether it's a torp-heavy boat or not. I like the 3-piece effect.
    Current ship/builds:
    KDF Tac: Bortasqu' Tactical
    Fed Tac: Fleet Gal-X

Keep those big guns a-thunderin'