test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Build clarifications

feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
I was looking at another thread about an ultimate science build and I need to ask specifically and then a general question.

What is the value of aft torpedoes especially more than one?

What is considered to be a 'good' build?

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
Network engineers are not ship designers.
Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
Post edited by feiqa on

Comments

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Seriously 32 looks and no one can answer my questions?

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    What is the value of aft torpedoes especially more than one?

It depends.
    What is considered to be a 'good' build?

It varies.
    Seriously 32 looks and no one can answer my questions?

Probably why you didn't get an answer on either of those...
  • dahminusdahminus Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    1. In pvp they save your butt. In pve they are useless

2. My builds are good

3. Virusdancer is 100% right in his vagueness. There are many good builds for many different scenarios. But that doesn't mean a good build in one would be good for another
    Chive on and prosper, eh?

My PvE/PvP hybrid skill tree
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    It depends.

It varies.

Probably why you didn't get an answer on either of those...

And my question comes from having tried an aft torpedo, and even set to autofire it would do a cool down, then fire. Even though it was the only torpedo on the ship. Yet I see another design where the user has no torps front, and 2 aft.

I have heard people sing praises of cannons and bemoan beams.
    Now beams are being praised and cannons are silent.

I am hoping people will post suggestions here so I and others might learn to do better.

• virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    I am hoping people will post suggestions here so I and others might learn to do better.

People have posted countless suggestions, as you have already noted...

There are suggestions on builds located in this section of the forums.
    There are suggestions on PvP builds located in the PvP section of the forums.
    There are suggestions on KDF builds located in the Klingon Fleetyards section of the forums.
    There are suggestions on Fed builds located in the Federation Shipyards section of the forums.
    There are suggestions on Rom builds located in the Romulan Flotilla section of the forums.

If you have a specific question on a particular build from a particular thread, why not ask in that thread or if it's been more than 30 days - why not quote the build from that thread in a new thread where you ask any questions you may have on it. Folks would be more than happy to help...heh, they may even argue amongst themselves while doing so - but that's generally a good way to get the most info as they debate their particular perspectives on the matter so you can make the choice that best fits your goals and playstyle.

People love sharing their opinions...but you've got to give them something actually to share the opinion on - the original questions are just way too vague.
  • beclourbeclour Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    The question of what makes a "good" build will most likely result in a huge argument. So I won't touch it with a ten foot pole.

As to the rear torpedo issue, there are a few different reasons to run an aft torp. Most of them are PvP related, true, but they also apply to pve in one degree or another.

1. Set bonus. Some rep set bonuses are hard to pass up, even if a torp doesn't fit into your play style. Running a torp in place of a turret may be a valid option. The grav torp + console from dyson rep gives +3 crtH. That's a pretty big bonus.

2. You're a torp boat. You have no weapons but torps. Most run rapid fire torps in front with "finishers" in rear.

3. You want to leave a parting gift. You use a hit and run tactic and you want to poo out a torp as you're getting away. A nice chrono to slow them down or even a rom plasma volley to force them to shoot before they follow, can be useful.

4. You're a whale. You fly a slow cruiser/carrier with no turn rate and think that you can get in big torp hits with a rear torp for when they fly into your arc. This is fail incarnate. Run a beam in that slot.

5. It doesn't matter. Some ships are so fast and have such high turn that they can flip back and forth every torp CD cycle to spit out another without any loss on cannon/beam dps.

I personally fly a breen raider with aux2damp and fleet RCS consoles so my turn rate is insane. Feels more like I'm playing a battlestar game than a star trek one. I use the grav torp+TS1 and flip around/fly past every cool down cycle to fire off another volley of impossible to miss torps. If the rift procs, even better.