test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Shuttles - What Bridge Officer do you use?

tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
First thing I do when I start any character is change the Tactical Skill to Torpedo Spread. I find that it is a great skill when starting out for your ship.

Also when you use a shuttle, if it has a Bridge Officer slot it is only 1. I find Torpedo Spread to be the best skill you can equip on your shuttle. Thou I have not tested it out for a L50 build that has zero skill in Projectiles... then maybe BFAW would be better, but that's for L50.

So what skills do you use for shuttles?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hanoverhanover Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Perigrine comes with CRF1 built in, so with a BOFF you could potentially have two abilities. But I found it hard to keep those cannons pointed at anything, and while a turret can use CRF, it just didn't seem that effective to me.

Lately, I've grown fond of running that C-store runabout with the Obelisk 2-piece (warp core + 360 antiproton beam), a TS1 BOFF, and either the Romplasma, or the 180 degree quantum. :cool:
    Does Arc install a root kit? Ask a Dev today!
  • sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I tend to put transfer shield strength on my shuttle. Mine looks like a borg monstrosity armed with anal probe. To my enemies, don't get caught with your pants down. :confused:
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Get the Delta Flyer if you can. With two bridge officers slots (ensign universal and ensign science), it is arguably the best shuttle in the game. If you use it, I recommend emergency power to shields with your choice of transfer shield strength or hazard emitters.

Edit: Or if you want to keep your torpedo spread, you can use that and transfer shield strength.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It varies, but on my Runabout, Torp Spread.

Anything else - Tractor Beam.
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    It varies, but on my Runabout, Torp Spread.

Anything else - Tractor Beam.

Why the hell would you bother with tractor beam, if you're running the 360 beam arrays its completely useless.
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
    edited December 2013
    Why the hell would you bother with tractor beam, if you're running the 360 beam arrays its completely useless.

Because i'm not using a 360 array on a fighter? :rolleyes:

Quad Phasers for the win. With a built-in CRF, TB is extremely handy for bringing those pesky fighters to a standstill. And they die alarmingly quickly once they don't have manuverability on their side.
    edited December 2013
    johngazman wrote: »
    Because i'm not using a 360 array on a fighter? :rolleyes:

Quad Phasers for the win. With a built-in CRF, TB is extremely handy for bringing those pesky fighters to a standstill. And they die alarmingly quickly once they don't have manuverability on their side.

Have you tried using the point defense system (console) on your fighter? I use it on my To'duj and whatever it doesn't kill dies soon afterwords from the cannons. I find that I would rather have that EPtS than a neutronium.
  • fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited December 2013

I tried that combination for a while on my Peregrine and found it to be underwhelming. It looked great, but the lack of [acc] on the quads and the 2-minute cooldown on the built-in CRF, just made it ineffective.

Now I'm usually using either a Torp/Beam combo with either FAW or TS, alongside HE on my Delta Flyer.

One thing that needs to be mentioned, too, is how powerful certain universal consoles are in small craft events, up to a point of almost being Pay2Win. Having a group of 5 players, all mounting Point-Defense systems and using it with a bit of coordination, will make Athmosphere Assault completely trivial for example.
    edited December 2013
    Have you tried using the point defense system (console) on your fighter? I use it on my To'duj and whatever it doesn't kill dies soon afterwords from the cannons. I find that I would rather have that EPtS than a neutronium.

I don' t have it, so no. If I did, I would definetly use it :P
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is my shuttle, took me a while to get it this way, but I like it. Hope it helps in some way.

http://imageshack.com/a/img853/3357/4s51.jpg

Doing it how I did it gives me alot more abilities than a standard shuttle.
    edited December 2013
    zurganus wrote: »
    This is my shuttle, took me a while to get it this way, but I like it. Hope it helps in some way.

... Nice name.
  • insanesenatorinsanesenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?build=tupelov_0

The U.S.S. Tupelov, or The Torpedo Bomber Shuttle.

Key points:
    1. 2x Rapid Reload Transphasics
    2. Breen Set
    3. Warp Core with really anything other than [W->X], [AMP] would be best
    4. Consoles boosting torpedo damage and maneuverability, I put the tachyo and borg, but there are lots of options. Fleet transphasic damage tactical consoles would clearly be ideal, can't see where they are on the skill planner.

The basic idea is to equip torpedoes in both slots, so you can put 0 power in weapons, leaving everything else... really high for a shuttle. This is specifically for transphasics, you can really use any torpedo loadout with this.

I chose transphasics for this example for a few reasons:
    1. They are affordable. You can play missions for everything except the consoles, and Mk XII transphasic consoles are much cheaper than say, antiproton. ;)
    2. Shield penetration. With no way to weaken shields, might as well punch through them.
    2. Rapid Reload, plus 3 purple PWO Doff's, will bring a higher rate of fire to bear that is traditionally a weakness of torpedoes.

Imagine sitting at 10km dropping orange turds in Atmospheric Assault with equal damage as if you were point blank.

Imagine tanking *anything* (including the Elachi Walkers!) in shuttle-based content indefinitely due to 75+ power in shields, aux and engines.

"But, But, it's hard to keep things in front of you!"

...to which I reply "It better not be, in a shuttle." Plus, at this high of engine levels, your reverse is as fast as half-impulse for other shuttles, and you will find you will actually oversteer your target often because of the turn rate.

Tactical Team is mandatory on every ship for me, shuttle or otherwise. The Delta Flyer lets you add a heal of your choice, shields or hull. I opt for hull, since HE also clears debuffs, and with such high shield power with this build, they will heal back soon on their own.
  • breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The first skill I look at for a shuttle is hazard emitters.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2013
    Snip.
    Tactical Team is mandatory on every ship for me, shuttle or otherwise. The Delta Flyer lets you add a heal of your choice, shields or hull. I opt for hull, since HE also clears debuffs, and with such high shield power with this build, they will heal back soon on their own.

I would actually recommend EPtS instead of tactical team. All TT does is redistribute shields and give some buffs. It doesn't regenerate shields. Which means if enough enemies are shooting you, you will eventually get overwhelmed. But, then again, I've never tried this tactic myself so I don't know if the extra shield power allows you to regenerate shields fast enough to compensate.

I also recommend just two parts of the Breen set, the shields from it are pretty bad and the three set ability is even worse. I would recommend the Jem shields to go with your "mostly from missions" equipment theme.

Other than that, really solid build.

Here's my To'Duj:
    http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=iksqusod_5655
    Note that KDF side, the Point Defense System is disruptor and gains a boost from disruptor consoles.
    Also, it has Mk X equipment because anything of higher rank is on my ships (too lazy to keep moving stuff).
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zurganus wrote: »

Metaphasic shield? Where'd you get that?

With the exception of the tholian torp and the shield that's the same shuttle I have.

Well... With shield boosters in place.

I use the bioneural warhead for my torp.
    edited December 2013
    foundrelic wrote: »
    Metaphasic shield? Where'd you get that?

Ferengi shuttle
  • issueman1issueman1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The one who smells the least.
  • zurganuszurganus Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ferengi shuttle

Absolutely correct sir. Most of the parts on that ship come from the various Lobi shuttles.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    tigeraries wrote: »
    First thing I do when I start any character is change the Tactical Skill to Torpedo Spread. I find that it is a great skill when starting out for your ship.

Also when you use a shuttle, if it has a Bridge Officer slot it is only 1. I find Torpedo Spread to be the best skill you can equip on your shuttle. Thou I have not tested it out for a L50 build that has zero skill in Projectiles... then maybe BFAW would be better, but that's for L50.

So what skills do you use for shuttles?

Same as ships really. I used to use torpedoes,but use mostly beam arrays now.
    Not forgetting the energy weapon doffs as well.
  • insanesenatorinsanesenator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I also recommend just two parts of the Breen set, the shields from it are pretty bad and the three set ability is even worse. I would recommend the Jem shields to go with your "mostly from missions" equipment theme.

Yeah I looked at my actual shuttle and I had 2-piece Breen, with a MACO shield. I agree that Jem'Hadar would be a good complement (good regen) for this build from missions.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Delta, JH set polaron DBB and the WA quantum. TSS or HE and BO1
    sig.jpg
  • tangolighttangolight Member Posts: 777 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Also, not useless. Restricted movement means lower defense for the target, as well as possibly keeping them from using torpedoes or a full beam broadside.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If its a universal slot, Engineering Team with 2x doffs to lower its cooldown.

On my Tal'Kyr I used to use TSS and HE instead. With the built in heal you are one heally beast.

In my Aeon I run BFAW and HE, tho, with my temporal warfare set, Manheim device, and a point defense. Soon I hope to get her the Metaphasic shield and the Tipler Cylinder as well... Time ships rock.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • killdozer9211killdozer9211 Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    On my peregrine I run the phaser DC's and phaser array the vault mission rewards, both blue geared towards shuttles, both with acc bonuses.

I run a boff with faw, a point defense system console, a purple phaser tac console, and a fleet turn neutronium.

my actual set varies, right now i'm digging the omega on it, before, aegis did everything nicely.

But yeah, it handles most anything you encounter in shuttle missions..... efficiently.

I forgot: sometimes when I want to feel extra shuttle-y, I use the yellowstone engines and timeship deflector. I might cave and buy a ferengi shuttle for the shield too, but not any time soon.

Also, run the omni ap beam over a beam array, it does more damage and you can faw with it, then run the SOI core for a 2 piece antiproton bonus. I find it works well with my Aeon.