test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Friendly Reminder: The vast majority of players thinks that Admiral ranks are cheesy

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Similar things can and should be said for admiral ranks.

Considering that this game is focused around our character and only our character, it makes sense for our character to be promoted to Admirals. There are not thousands of Vice Admirals as far as the game is concerned, there is only one Vice Admiral in a ship and the rest are npc Vice Admirals. It makes absolutely no sense that the second you save the S.S. Azuria, it gets captured again or after you destroy the Devidian Comet it magically regenerates itself. Only one person can be responsible for all these tasks that we have done and saving the Federation numerous times from various threats is sufficient reason to be promoted to Admiral.

If Starfleet doesn't promote our characters to Admiral, then they are just an ungrateful organization that doesn't deserve our loyalty. They should at least offer the promotion to Admiral as a common courtesy and it is up to us to accept the promotion or not.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    game fails at a lot of things but thats all for another thread bug fixing number 1
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    The game fails at its attempts to convey this spirit. And it must, because the whole notion is just wrong for a massive multiplayer online game. Whenver you have to explain stuff like this to make the game not break in the minds of virtually all the people playing it, something is wrong.

The "single-player experience" is due to a simple economic/technological fact: It is currently not yet possible to generate convincing, individual missions automatically on the fly for each and every character. If Cryptic could, with the available resources, create "storyline templates" which would be randomly varied by the game engine so that no two characters' stories are the same they would do it. Eventually, I am sure they will, with this game or another.

At endgame, the game is not a single player experience, and it is not supposed to be. So at endgame, at the very least at endgame, it must be set up so that two or five or twenty or five hundred player characters can all exist in the same universe.

And a game where there are more Admirals than Ensigns makes sense? Our characters are the Kirk or Picard of the early 25th Century. There is no way that any regular Captain or Admiral would have as many different adventures unless we were the main protagonist and there can only be one main protagonist.

There is absolutely no way I can be sure that the people I see in the game are actual players. STO could have the greatest AI system ever and everyone I encounter in the game and every chat message I see is just created by some algorithm. Therefore, the only player that I can confirm is playing STO is myself. There is also the issue that there is no way to confirm someone is a Vice Admiral without clicking on the player's character. So even if I seen 50 people at a specific location, there is no way to confirm if they are Vice Admirals or not. So even if there are 50 players in the same zone, then it could be just be me as Vice Admiral and the others are mere Captains. Now if all 50 of them had their own fleet with them, then it is harder to dismiss them as mere Captains, but still 50 Vice Admirals is a more manageable term than thousands.

It is not necessary to consider every player that exists as a Vice Admiral, but only the ones that you can absolutely confirm to be Vice Admiral and considering that lots of players prefer to be Captain and lots of other players prefer to be Admiral, then there is no way to confirm unless I ask every single person is a Captain or Vice Admiral and get a response which is highly unlikely and personally I rather play the game. Also that confirmation won't be available when Admiral content is available since some players want to be Fleet Captain or some other variation and others want to be Admiral. So even if I encounter someone in an STF or some other level 50 content, then there is no way to confirm if they are a Vice Admiral or Captain. So the only Vice Admiral that I can confirm to exist in the game is me. The rest of the players are Captains for all I know.
    edited December 2013
    only way you can tell a Admiral is by clicking on them or there title and you can hide that next nitpick

to add on this you can set the games UI up to where i can just dismiss you as a NPC some may want to look in to that

player can also hide that rank/XP bar

so that just leaves NPC mission tex line well this what i suggest when you see admiral/Lt.Gen picture in you head that word is captain
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
    edited December 2013
    Anyone who is in a fleet or has a circle for friends in the game will easily tell you that those other people he meets are all Vice Admirals. It is not just the random people out there, who you can easily ignore. It is everyone.

Yeah, right. I was in in the Vorn system, with my Klingon Lt General character commanding the Ank'tar, a BortasQu' cruiser, and I was healing the Kang (who despite my efforts went own to 5% hull) because the rest of the PUG team was too inexperienced to see that their tactically not so sound approach was almost killing Captain Jarod and his crew. Then some captain hails me and sais (and I quote literally);: "Get your TRIBBLE moving to support us instead of lazily hanging around that NPC!".

Sure, he is just a captain, I am a general. It is totally immersive to see it that way. :rolleyes:

You are missing one significant point. A player is a Vice Admiral only if they believe they are a Vice Admiral. Just because someone is at level 50 and the game considers them to be Vice Admiral doesn't mean that their character is a Vice Admiral. After all, you started this thread because you wanted to stay Captain so you don't consider yourself as a Vice Admiral and there is a group of players that do agree with you. Therefore, unless I ask everyone I encounter if they believe themselves to be a Captain or Vice Admiral, then the only Vice Admiral I can confirm is myself.

As shown by numerous posts in this thread, the devs plan to give meaning to being a Vice Admiral and they plan on doing a level cap increase that adds Admiral content. Some people including me are adamant about keeping our Vice Admiral rank , will become extremely angry if their rank is taken away, and would prefer Admiral content to give meaning to it while others want to stay Captain. There is absolutely no way to convince the other side that they are wrong. Each side has shown their beliefs and therefore it is pointless to continue arguing since it is obvious that no one will be convinced to change their beliefs.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    And a game where there are more Admirals than Ensigns makes sense?
    So all those officers on the slave trades exchange don't exist? =p
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Bah! There are only a handful of Vice Admirals in Starfleet. I'm one of them. Who travelled through time to destroy a comet? Me. I'm the one who did. Who prevented B'Vat from using a Doomsday Weapon? Me. Not you. Who went to the Nimbus system and saved them from the Tal'Shiar? Me. Saved DS9 from the Dominion? Also me. saved the Deferi from the Breen and woke up a million year old species? Yup. Me. I did these things. I'm the big stonking protagonist in the game. The rest of you? You either don't exist or are regular Star Trek cannon fodder - Only around when I need you, then you trot off out of sight doing absolutely nothing of worth until I need you again.
  • o0kami87o0kami87 Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gonalius wrote: »
    Bah! There are only a handful of Vice Admirals in Starfleet. I'm one of them. Who travelled through time to destroy a comet? Me. I'm the one who did. Who prevented B'Vat from using a Doomsday Weapon? Me. Not you. Who went to the Nimbus system and saved them from the Tal'Shiar? Me. Saved DS9 from the Dominion? Also me. saved the Deferi from the Breen and woke up a million year old species? Yup. Me. I did these things. I'm the big stonking protagonist in the game. The rest of you? You either don't exist or are regular Star Trek cannon fodder - Only around when I need you, then you trot off out of sight doing absolutely nothing of worth until I need you again.

Lol, that was me as well, this point of the conversation is even more silly in it has nothing to do with the ranks system. The game is meant to tell a story of the individuals character. That being said how many people play this game? You can't make 9 billion missions to insure every individual has a different story to tell, this is just the reality of game limits.
    First, Vice Admiral, U.S.S. Wolf Pack-F, NX-101687-FFirst., Vice Admiral, A.R.W. Moon WolfWolf, I.K.S. Frost Bite
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For those saying STO is a SINGLE player experience with a story only revolving around you, I'll say it again, this is a Massive MULTIPLAYER Online game.

There are 100000 Vice Admirals out there. YOU are NOT the only one...

The storyline IS single-player. Unless you're saying there are 100,000 different B'Vats out there, one for everyone? In no MMO, does it ever make sense to have multiple heroes, but sense is sacrificed for gameplay and its all the better for it. From an in-universe point of view, everyone you play with is just some generic captain who's been assigned to help out.

(Unless you have a Federation Captain, a Klingon and a Romulan who haven't done any of the over-lapping missions)...
    edited December 2013
    Seriously? Did you just say an organization with up to 400 ships/members, with a structured command environment, with organizes multiple operations with living people isn't a REAL Fleet? (because there is no Dictatorial authority ability?)

..thus infering that a small group of four NPC 'pet' ships controlled by a single player is a REAL fleet?

Wow...just wow.

Yes. Due to the simple fact that any actual military fleet that exists has the Fleet Leader give orders to his underlings to do this or that. So it would be like the Fleet Leader telling this group of people to do STFs, this group of people to do Defari, and this group of people to do Dyson Sphere. What we have might be similar to Merchant Fleets, but it is definitely not a Military Fleet and since our characters belong to Starfleet or the KDF, then any fleet we are associated with is a military fleet. A Leader of a Military Fleet dictates where to go and who to fight. Soldiers in those fleets don't have any say on what they do which is why an npc fleet is an actual military fleet while a player fleet is a bunch of people working towards a common goal.
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    gonalius wrote: »
    The storyline IS single-player. Unless you're saying there are 100,000 different B'Vats out there, one for everyone? In no MMO, does it ever make sense to have multiple heroes, but sense is sacrificed for gameplay and its all the better for it. From an in-universe point of view, everyone you play with is just some generic captain who's been assigned to help out.
    How do you know that? How many times have you seen a strictly sandbox-only game where there is zero gameplay and story segregation?
    edited December 2013
    Like "help gather resources to build our base, or you won't be promoted"?

Still not a reason for being in a military fleet since informal organizations have promotions based on one's accomplishments. There are various types of informal organizations that better suit what Player Fleets are. Group of friends, Guild, Club, and others fit just not Military Fleet. Also, the whole concept of a Fleet of 1 or 2 people doesn't make any sense as a Military Fleet.
    edited December 2013
    The DEFAULT end-game rank should be Captain. With Admiral availble to those who really want it (becoming a Fleet Leader - thus leading Captains).

The DEFAULT end-game rank should be whatever a Player wishes. If a player wants to be referred to as Captain and avoid all future content that deals with being an Admiral, then it is their right. If a player wants to be an Admiral with content that is unique to Admirals, then it is their right. Absolutely no one else should decide what a player is. If a player wants to be a Lieutenant in control of an Odyssey, then it is their mistaken right. Forcing players to be something they don't want to be is just asking for trouble.

If I want to get the Admiral rank, then I should leave my fleet and create a new one just to get the rank and get rid of this temporary fleet? That just doesn't make any sense. If this scenario happened which I am certain will never happen and I left this temporary fleet, then I should lose the Admiral Rank since obviously Admirals lead Captains and if I am not leading Captains, then I am not an Admiral. So people would be stuck in solo fleets or top-heavy fleets where almost everyone is an Admiral because they want to be Admiral. If an Admiral is leading Captains, then the only requisite should be lead npc Captains that were former Bridge Officers.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The vast majority of players think that threads that include the phrase "The vast majority of players" suck.... :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    -ranks any thought whatsoever, claims otherwise are absolute BS.
    I have seen a lot of pointless topics but this one takes the cake. Once again the disinterested masses get a self-appointed spokesman.
    This is just a game and what ever title or rank you get is meaningless given that no matter what your rank is, it isn't going to change the nature of the game you are playing one bit.
    True, Admirals don't command ships, they command fleets but then again, no Captain ever does mickey mouse gopher work like collecting rocks and tagging rodents, those tasks are relegated to the lowest ranks of crewman.
    Of all the things that can be considered immersion breaking it is such a laughably minor thing to be taking issue with when compared to things like sparkling consoles that literally scream "Hey idiot I'm over here".
    In any case it's all make believe anyway so just make believe you're being called Captain and get on with life.
    Myself, I don't really care that much but I kind of prefer being called Vice Admiral to Captain level 5 or Captain Major or something equally stupid sounding.
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
    edited December 2013
    maxvitor wrote: »
    -ranks any thought whatsoever, claims otherwise are absolute BS.
    I have seen a lot of pointless topics but this one takes the cake. Once again the disinterested masses get a self-appointed spokesman.
    This is just a game and what ever title or rank you get is meaningless given that no matter what your rank is, it isn't going to change the nature of the game you are playing one bit.
    True, Admirals don't command ships, they command fleets but then again, no Captain ever does mickey mouse gopher work like collecting rocks and tagging rodents, those tasks are relegated to the lowest ranks of crewman.
    Of all the things that can be considered immersion breaking it is such a laughably minor thing to be taking issue with when compared to things like sparkling consoles that literally scream "Hey idiot I'm over here".
    In any case it's all make believe anyway so just make believe you're being called Captain and get on with life.
    Myself, I don't really care that much but I kind of prefer being called Vice Admiral to Captain level 5 or Captain Major or something equally stupid sounding.

There is absolutely one point that makes sense for their viewpoint. There are a ton of appropriate sounding ranks that are given as Titles. Having a Rank Selector that is similar to the Title Selector, but only includes certain titles and npcs will use that that selection to determine what they call you. So you can select the Captain rank and npcs will refer to you as Captain or you select Colonial Administrator, Master Chef, Diplomat, Doctor, Federation Ambassador, Governor, Trader, or a bunch of other appropriate ranks and npcs will refer to you as that.

We might not have a problem being called Vice Admiral or Admiral, but this is a problem for others. IMO adding reasonable choices is always a good thing in a MMO while removing a reasonable choice is always a bad thing. Therefore, removing Vice Admiral rank from game would be a bad decision while adding a Rank Selector so we can choose the rank we want would be a good move on the devs' part.
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Actually, per canon, the highest rank a Starfleet officer can be and still command a ship on a regular basis (not counting special task forces, etc.) would be Commodore... as in Commodore Decker in the "Doomsday Machine". Commodore would be fine with me. I don't think we have as much "canon" info available for the KDF... for all I know Generals may well command ships regularly. I know there's none regarding Romulan standards but many non-canon sources assume that it's pretty much the same as the Federation.

You can choose Commodore rank for your Captain's, that's actually the first "Admiral" rank. If you look at it as it displays on the sleeve of the TOS uniform it is the same sleeve insignia as Commodore Decker wore so we can presume that the first tier Admiral rank is actually Commodore. You can also choose "Captain" for your Captain's title so that's what will display above their head. I don't know if "Commodore" is available as a title or not but it is common maritime practice to address any ship commander as "Captain" regardless of paygrade. You could then regard the "Admiral" as simply reflective of your paygrade and nothing more.

As for KDF I'm not sure they have "paygrades" in the same fashion. So General as a ships commander may have very different connotations. It would seem so, to me. As for my Romulan commander he is referred to as Commander, usually. He is an Admiral because he has earned that accolade but he is, first and foremost, a Lord since he is the head of a minor house. That's my take, anyway. :cool:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
    edited December 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    There is absolutely one point that makes sense for their viewpoint. There are a ton of appropriate sounding ranks that are given as Titles. Having a Rank Selector that is similar to the Title Selector, but only includes certain titles and npcs will use that that selection to determine what they call you. So you can select the Captain rank and npcs will refer to you as Captain or you select Colonial Administrator, Master Chef, Diplomat, Doctor, Federation Ambassador, Governor, Trader, or a bunch of other appropriate ranks and npcs will refer to you as that.

We might not have a problem being called Vice Admiral or Admiral, but this is a problem for others. IMO adding reasonable choices is always a good thing in a MMO while removing a reasonable choice is always a bad thing. Therefore, removing Vice Admiral rank from game would be a bad decision while adding a Rank Selector so we can choose the rank we want would be a good move on the devs' part.
    It would be nice to have the option to have NPCs address you by your title.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My opinion: Admirals don't command single ships. They command fleets. Captains command single ships. It's also patently ridiculous to be given orders by characters you far outrank. Character rank should be completely divorced from character level, and unless they're going to take us out of The Chair and have us commanding ships from a base from afar, rank should be capped at captain.

It makes perfect sense to have the character given a flag-level rank in a strategy game like StarCraft. STO is not a strategy game.
    It would be nice to have the option to have NPCs address you by your title.

But then we'd get people being addressed as "Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Fred" and "Moist Bob".
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    But then we'd get people being addressed as "Tal Shiar's Most Wanted Fred" and "Moist Bob".

Then there should be a rank title option, separate from accolade titles. This separate option would only affect what NPCs address you as. Kind of similar in principle as setting department heads or first officer.
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »
    Then there should be a rank title option, separate from accolade titles. This separate option only affects what NPCs address you as. Kind of similar in principle as setting department heads or first officer.

This is why I suggested the Rank Selector option.
    There is no 'ADMIRAL' content. There is none any more than there is Ruler of the Universe content.

Its' all based off Level.

A level 80 character is a level 80 character - one who may or may not have picked a skill which allows him to launch a small group of NPC 'pet' ships to assist him - you know like carrier owners do now. It has NOTHING to do with RANK.

You keep getting confused that Rank=Level. It does not (or shouldn't).

Obviously there is no ADMIRAL content at the moment, but the devs have stated that they want to add this content. Apparently, there is an expansion at the end of year and for all we know, it could contain the Admiral content. After all, Expansions in MMOs are known for introducing new factions and new levels.

You seem to be getting confused, Rank=Level. At level 1, I can't pilot a Galaxy while I can when I reach Commander. If Rank didn't equal Level, then a Level 1 character could pilot a Tier 5 ship. Also, a Starfleet Officer doesn't need to be Captain to pilot a smaller ship. As we go up in rank, we command more seasoned Bridge Officers.

As I said in a previous post, there is no point to being Captain level 80 due to Reputations covering that. Having a level cap increase without any good reason would just anger people because their Mk XII equipment that they worked for months to get is now completely useless. If we stay as "Captains", then there should never be a level cap increase. If the devs want to give actual meaning to being an Admiral, then it would be a good reason to introduce a level cap increase.
    AAAAANNNNNNDDDDDD.....that is why we have this thread! I DON'T WANT EVERY NPC CALLING ME ADMIRAL because the title promotion was FORCED on me by the game system.

The DEFUALT end-game rank should be Captain, because that is what most ship commanders and HEROES are in Star Trek.

Again, where was the TV show starring Admiral Bob and his five ship Fleet of mindless slave Captains?

This is why the Rank Selector option I advocated would fix this problem you seem to be having.

It doesn't matter what Star Trek had for characters, it is a matter of what we make our character. STO is in a completely different set of circumstances where Vice Admirals can fly their own ships. Besides Star Trek didn't show every single Admiral so it is possible that there is an Admiral that commanded a ship. After all, it doesn't matter where an Admiral's office is.
    edited December 2013
    NPC call you by your rank would be a good thing for when Admiral rank comes out then i can have them just call me ADMIRAL!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    edited December 2013
    starswordc wrote: »
    Well.... only the player that did that would have to look at it most of the time. :P

It's their choice, and I don't need to worry about it. :P
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yep. We all know it, having player captains be of Admiral rank is silly, breaking immersion, un-Trek and stupid on many levels.

If I could just voice one wish about STO, it would be to have my toons stay Captain (Starfleet), Captain or HoD (Klingons), or Commander/Riov (Romulans).

Please.

All your silly detractors despite, you're obviously right. Imagine a RL army that would consist of Generals-only! (insert gratuitous 'STO isn't RL' comment here). A Fleet in which *everyone* gets promoted to Vice-Admiral, inside of 2 weeks, max, is just uebersilly. And, worse than that, the high rank is not even consistent with the duties for which you have demonstrated unswerving ability, the command of a starship!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • acusor22acusor22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Correction it is only you not some "majority"
    To reach the stars and back
  • zipagatzipagat Member Posts: 1,204 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    All your silly detractors despite, you're obviously right. Imagine a RL army that would consist of Generals-only! (insert gratuitous 'STO isn't RL' comment here). A Fleet in which *everyone* gets promoted to Vice-Admiral, inside of 2 weeks, max, is just uebersilly. And, worse than that, the high rank is not even consistent with the duties for which you have demonstrated unswerving ability, the command of a starship!
    As a counter point, that's only for PLAYERS. Each player has their own private army of NPCs..... Some ships have as much as 2500 crew.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As a counter point, that's only for PLAYERS. Each player has their own private army of NPCs..... Some ships have as much as 2500 crew.

A Nimitz-class CVN has around 5700 crew and is still commanded by a captain. It contains facilities to serve as an admiral's flagship, but the admiral still gives orders to a flag captain and the captains of his carrier's escort vessels. He is not sitting in The Chair.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Wouldn't just a mere Captain have that 2,500 crew under his/her command too?

As others have said, it wouldn't be half as bad if we, you know, actually got to command something bigger than our own wee ship. Maybe something to consider for NPC content missions? I would love to command maybe 6 ships or so, in personal NPC missions, to feel like a real Vice-Admiral a bit. Short of getting that, I feel just Captain is a title that suits me best.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • ficrficr Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Concur. Captains command a ship. Admirals command a fleet.

But what gets me is the "Call of Duty/Master Chief Syndrome" Battling the borg all by yourself on Defera or Nukia. At least they let you bring 2 crew members on Dyson.

This is Star Trek, I want an "Away Team"

Ex-CoH players, Please add the chat channel "CoX STO"