test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deflector DOFF cooldown doesn't work w/ Siphon or Tachyon Beam *fixed in 1/30 patch*

Comments

• lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2013
    For today's bump up, I'll just quote myself as a reminder of what the issue is to those who read this thread.
    lucho80 wrote: »
    The deflector officer doff's cooldown reduction isn't tied to energy siphon and tachyon beam. Can't verify the breen energy dissipator, but I found a thread that says it works fine.

http://tinypic.com/r/ipy3c2/5 (Cooldown missing from tooltip on ES and TB)

I tested continually using gravity well (when it itself doesn't activate the doff) and then activating both energy siphon AND tachyon beam right after to see if they reduced GW's time to 40s. With a 75% chance of seeing the reduction, I should have seen it work at least once, it didn't. The doff works fine when using GW and TR, but the cooldown reduction is limited to those two skills.

The theory I read in the forums is that it was a bug put into the system with the 10/10/2012 patch:
    Removed Tachyon Beam and Energy Siphon from shared cooldown formerly shared with Tyken's Rift and Gravity Well.
    The latter two will remain on a shared cooldown.

To replicate bug:
    1) Equip 3 deflector doffs.
    2) Activate gravity well and make sure the time doesn't to down to 40s.
    ALTERNATIVE 2) Activate Tyken's Rift and make sure the time doesn't go down to 30s
    3) Activate energy siphon AND tachyon beam quickly.
    4) GW or TR time never gets reduced to global CD.

To replicate successful proc (you can reverse 2 and 3):
    1) Equip 3 deflector doffs.
    2) Activate Energy Siphon, Tachyon Beam, and Gravity well (in that order) and make sure GW's the time doesn't go down to 40s. (At this point the bug with ES and TB is clearly visible if GW procs and even if it doesn't, there was supposedly a 75% chance of a proc happening with any of them)
    3) Activate tykens rift as soon as it becomes available.
    4) If it procs you should see both the GW and TR cooldowns reduced, but never Energy Siphon or Tachyon Beam.

Given the 75% chance of proc, the test takes 5 to 10 minutes to verify the results.

Other 8 threads with the same complaint:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=437931 (11/07/2012)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=452441 (11/17/2012)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=478701 (12/08/2012)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=490981 (12/20/2012)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=566171 (02/24/2013)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=594791 (03/25/2013)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=862711 (09/24/2013)
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=866891 (09/29/2013)

You need to actually try it in-game to see the problem not just do a quick check. This is from today:

If I get back here in two weeks and this is still just hanging around, I may even record and add a youtube video as extra proof.
    edited November 2013
    Thank you devs for the Voth Palisade Science Vessel. It looks like an awesome drain focused sci ship.
    Now could you fix this doff and the Juel Ducane (warp theorist) doff, so my drain boff powers can also be as awesome as that ship?

If I could equip (with S8 unlock):
    3 deflector doffs that work as intended (75% chance to reduce cooldown on 3 drain skills plus gravity well)
    2 Juel Ducane doffs (50% chance of subsystem disable with energy siphon)
    1 of the new voth weapons power draining diplomats (25% of -X weapons power doff)

It would make my day.
    edited November 2013
    Now that bug squashing is in full swing, can this bug get fixed and put to rest?
    edited November 2013
    This bug is now 1 year, 1 month and 1 week old. Any chance this doff can get some love?
    edited November 2013
    As of today, this bug is 1 year, 1 month, and 2 weeks old. The original post has absolutely all the details needed to replicate the issue plus all the other threads that have complained about the same bug.

The picture below summarizes it. It's not only missing from the tooltip, it doesn't work on the boff powers where it's missing from the tooltip.

http://tinypic.com/r/ipy3c2/5
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This is still around? How unfortunate.

:(

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    It is supposed to affect all deflector abilities listed on the doff. The problem is, it only works with GW and TR at the moment. If it actually worked as listed, I would only need to use the gravimetric scientists that cause aftershocks.
    Note: I don't have the Breen Energy Dissipator available to test, but i found a thread that states it works with it fine. I've also expanded the OP so the bug can be easily replicated and it list all the previous complaints for the same bug.

I'm glad ypu brought this issue up. I just happened to notice the same thing, the other day, on a new Sci build I was trying out.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • pwstolemynamepwstolemyname Member Posts: 1,417 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    This bug has now been in existence for 412 days.
    edited December 2013
    I almost forgot my weekly bug refresh.

As of today, this bug is 1 year, 1 month, and 3 weeks old. The original post has absolutely all the details needed to replicate the issue plus all the other threads that have complained about the same bug.

The picture below summarizes it. It's not only missing from the tooltip, it doesn't work on the boff powers where it's missing from the tooltip. (Energy Siphon and Tachyon Beam)

http://tinypic.com/r/ipy3c2/5

Please fix me:confused:
  • maarkeanmaarkean Member Posts: 116 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This is good to learn. I had a few builds planned that relied on this DOFF and those abilities. This is unfortunate.
    edited December 2013
    It's Monday again which means it's time for my weekly refresh of this bug report. It has been 1 year and 2 months since this bug was introduced into the game and so far no movement on fixing it. I hope at some point in 2014 I'll be able to have a better sci build because someone finally fixed this one.

Meanwhile FAW bugs are getting fixed almost instantly because "FAW is an essential part of ST canon".
    edited December 2013
    It's Monday again which means it's time for my weekly refresh of this bug report. It has been 1 year, 2 months, and week since this bug was introduced into the game and so far no movement on fixing it. Any movement on fixing this one would be appreciated. See OP for all the details.
  • falkor2010falkor2010 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hi Wonderful Cryptic Devs,

Also seeing this behavior.

Could you please take a look at running this doff while using nothing but energy siphon and see if you see any CD reductions? It does work with Grav Well, just not ES.

Could you try each skill listed on its tooltip, one at a time. Cause I'm definitely not seeing any ES cooldown. Would be great if this DOFF worked.

Thank you for reading this.
    edited December 2013
    It's Monday again which means it's time for my weekly refresh of this bug report. It has been 1 year, 2 months, and 2 weeks since this bug was introduced into the game and so far no movement on fixing it. Any movement on fixing this one would be appreciated. See OP for all the details.

I feel the devs are just purposely ignoring this bug which is not cool since it would benefit sci builds.
    edited December 2013
    If this doff were fixed it would do more to help science ships then an extra deflector slot....
    edited December 2013
    If this doff were fixed it would do more to help science ships then an extra deflector slot....

Yup, I would be able to run with single copies of powers without resorting to an a2b build which I don't like.
  • dachronikdachronik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    maybe for a X-mas present a fix ? :cool:
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to answer this about once a month in my own fleet, so I may as well put it here, as well.

Deflector Officers are not "broken", the tooltip is.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, All of those abilities that are listed on Deflector Officers used to really be on the Deflector cooldown. That meant that if you used any of those abilities, the rest would go on cooldown, with the net effect of forcing you to choose which of those skills you could use. There was no self stacking of Tyken's + ES + Tacyhon Beam. No using ES or Tacyhon beam while using Gravity Well. It was frankly a nightmare.

Then science got a huge buff. They took ES and Tachyon Beam off of the deflector cooldown. That allowed drain builds to actually be viable in PvE. You can now stack up TR+ES+TacB. The only 2 that conflict now are TR and GW - much easier to decide between.

The consequence is they never updated the tooltip of Deflector Officers to remove ES and TacB.

So, no, the doffs aren't broken, the tooltip was just never updated after a major buff.

Edit: There are a couple more that desperately need their tooltips updated. Photonic Officers no longer affect Shockwave torps, for example.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • orilllianorilllian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kimmym while that is an interesting explination we have borticus stating that the doff should be and does work with ES/Tachyon during his testing however something is wrong and it is not working correctly with those two powers that act over a duration.
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That is indeed great news, that would open up a lot of options.

Thanks for the info.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
    edited December 2013
    kimmym wrote: »
    I have to answer this about once a month in my own fleet, so I may as well put it here, as well.

Deflector Officers are not "broken", the tooltip is.

A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away, All of those abilities that are listed on Deflector Officers used to really be on the Deflector cooldown. That meant that if you used any of those abilities, the rest would go on cooldown, with the net effect of forcing you to choose which of those skills you could use. There was no self stacking of Tyken's + ES + Tacyhon Beam. No using ES or Tacyhon beam while using Gravity Well. It was frankly a nightmare.

Then science got a huge buff. They took ES and Tachyon Beam off of the deflector cooldown. That allowed drain builds to actually be viable in PvE. You can now stack up TR+ES+TacB. The only 2 that conflict now are TR and GW - much easier to decide between.

The consequence is they never updated the tooltip of Deflector Officers to remove ES and TacB.

So, no, the doffs aren't broken, the tooltip was just never updated after a major buff.

Edit: There are a couple more that desperately need their tooltips updated. Photonic Officers no longer affect Shockwave torps, for example.

Like the other poster said, all they did was to remove those two powers from the shared cooldown with GW and TR but, in doing so, they broke the doff affecting those two
  • raptor63549raptor63549 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Whether or not the tooltip is wrong or the ability is broken, I personally think that with the long cooldowns science abilities have, the fix should be to make the doff affect those abilities again rather than just rewritting the tooltip.
    edited December 2013
    The sad part of reporting bugs is that you put FAW on the title and the status goes straight to "team is investigating" in less than 24 hours. You put doff (and a sci one at that), and they ignore the bug for more than a year.
    edited December 2013
    Like the other poster said, all they did was to remove those two powers from the shared cooldown with GW and TR but, in doing so, they broke the doff affecting those two

This seems far more likely to be the explanation.

I'm sure this is no more than a 5 minute fix for one of their experienced engineers. It's really just up to their support people to escalate this one up, which we are really hoping they will! :D

Or how about just giving us an aux2bat doff that works just like the existing CD DOFF but steals from weapon power instead of Aux power or something. Something for us sci folks :)
    edited December 2013
    falkor2010 wrote: »
    Or how about just giving us an aux2bat doff that works just like the existing CD DOFF but steals from weapon power instead of Aux power or something. Something for us sci folks :)

Lol, drain boats don't really need extra power (At least mine doesn't), but if you're looking to drain weapon power from other people, try the Voth diplomat doff with a chance to drain weapons power. Nothing like draining someones power when being shot at.

Now back to the main topic. Cryptic, please fix this in January 2014!
    edited December 2013
    Possible to get one of those fancy: *team is investigating* annotations on this thread?

It's so easy to test.
    -Equip any number of the deflector CD doffs
    -Use Energy Siphon or any of the skills that aren't Gravity Well or Tykens Rift.
    -Use the skills over and over
    edited December 2013
    falkor2010 wrote: »
    Possible to get one of those fancy: *team is investigating* annotations on this thread?

It's so easy to test.
    -Equip any number of the deflector CD doffs
    -Use Energy Siphon or any of the skills that aren't Gravity Well or Tykens Rift.
    -Use the skills over and over

This takes about 3-5 minutes for a Dev to make sure it isn't working in game. There is a caveat. They (Borticus) complain about ES lasting a while, so just carry two copies and minimal Aux power. You'll see the cool down on neither comes down when using them. Add in GW and TR, those proc frequently and ES and tachyon beam remain unaffected.

Note to devs: Checking whatever UI you guys have to check if it's "hooked up" to the powers doesn't work.
    edited December 2013
    It is now 445 days since the 10/10/13 patch broke the deflector duty officer. it is 444 days since I provided my first bug report on it.
    edited December 2013
    It is now 445 days since the 10/10/13 patch broke the deflector duty officer. it is 444 days since I provided my first bug report on it.

I think you meant 2012.
  • dachronikdachronik Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    still sad ....:mad:
This discussion has been closed.