test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

A great night in the queues

slipstreamriderslipstreamrider Member Posts: 14 Arc User
edited December 2013 in PvP Gameplay
"thx, Kax, Chris Ralston, SOB, and Aetius for some really great runs....undefeated :)"

That was my message to a team that happened upon each other thanks to the Organized PvP channel and some good old fashioned pugging. Aetius and SOB and I had met days before in the queues. We started as opponents and ended as friends.

KAX and Chris Ralston and I met in OPvP. I was on a team with KAX and Chris and we were up against SOB and Aetius. It was cool to play against people I had played with a few nights before.

Aetius reached out to KAX and as KAX put it later, ULtraKax was born. The runs were epic, some were easy, some very challenging. We played against feds and against klinks, but we always ended up on top. After each match my team mates and I thanked our opponents.

The unofficial count is 15-0 (we were having so much fun we lost count), but the official count and conclusion was a win for PvP.

PvP is the quintessential expression of STO mastery. My hope is that new players will be as lucky as I was to run into great people like, Aetius, SOB, KAX, and Chris Ralston so they can get a taste of the fruits of their "grind" labor, and realize that PvP is the true end game content of STO.

Thanks to all those in the PvP community who share your knowledge in the forums. Thanks to all those in the PvP community who share your willingness to teach in the queues. I had a great experience tonight thanks to quality people in the STO PvP community.

Catch you in the queues,
Hal
Post edited by slipstreamrider on

Comments

• Options
    earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    If there was far more of this, I'd change my stance on PvP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    People like you are ruining the pvp economy, this game is based on deception, disorder, and hate(and explots). I hope you have a bad day. LOL
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edit: Never mind...
  • Options
    breygornbreygorn Member Posts: 189 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It is amazing that you had such a great, time. Count yourself lucky. :}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    if all teams were like that, there would be no pugstomping anymore, but premade stomping. and that would make many fleets mad.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Fun is there, I just think that people, especially the new people get discouraged. You have people who quit after trying PvP once or twice or after 30 times. Then you have people who persevere and read the forums and study and grind and continue to play and eventually become better. We just need to get more people to persevere, and that can be as simple as a "gg" in zone chat after the game.

We as a community, competitive as we are, need to add a dose of sportsmanship to ensure our (pvp's) survival and growth.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    saxfire wrote: »
    if all teams were like that, there would be no pugstomping anymore, but premade stomping. and that would make many fleets mad.

But also make a great deal more get into PvP. Worst aspect about our community is how small it is.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I shot Kax a little too hard this one time tonight.

That.... kinda didnt end well.

But i kept missing you guys and getting other teams and whatever, did about 15 matches tonight and only got into one or two with the Kax group.

Anti-Battlekax to the max >=/
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    breygorn wrote: »
    It is amazing that you had such a great, time. Count yourself lucky. :}

I always have a great time in PvP, I pug, I run with fleet mates and I make friends in the queues to make teams. I always encourage and invite members of my fleet to PvP, I'll 1v1 and coach when I can.

I love PvP and want as many people as possible to enjoy it too.
  • Options
    chemist6lpchemist6lp Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have to say that yesterday night was indeed fun. Maybe it was a stroke of luck, but almost all the matches were sorta balanced. The only thing that "ruined" it for me was the constant rubberbanding.
    Science for the win. / Czechoslovak Fleet 1st Division
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Yea, rubber banding sucks...

It is very good to know that some of the people that pvp are good and great even.
    I'm talking as a person, not necessarily as a player of skill.
    On the other side of that coin however, which seems to be more so than not,
    are people (if they are people) that are for lack of better terminology; "Sore Winners".

The bad part about this is all it takes is one of these so called people to ruin the entire
    experience for someone that is truly interested in pvp. If this person tries again, the chances
    were that they would just run into more of the same. Now, if they get lucky... they might
    even get a "gg" from team mates and enemies alike. As was previously posted by
    slipstreamrider, a simple "gg" can go a long way.

I also wanted to thank those that are kind and helpful, it can give hope to others.

Another issue that a lot of people have when they try out pvp, is gear/rep/ship difference.

oh, virusdancer, don't worry about babbling, your babbles are good :}
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    seansamurai1seansamurai1 Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Personally I'll only say good game if has been a good game.
    I take offence when a premade utterly stomps a team then says 'GG' at the end.
    Really? Was it?
    Same goes the other way, if a team I'm on utterly stomps another, at most they get a 'thx all'.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    thx all or thank you for the match is better than nothing, :}

Even just for pve, I try to say gg or thanks guys, or something...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mozohamozoha Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I ran into this group while pugging and I think it is great you had so much fun, the teams I was on lost 15-1, 15-0. So I don't quite remember having so much fun. Not a big deal cuz sometimes you get the bear and sometimes..............

I would say they were nice to lose to, not a single bit of cheese, no spam and always a gg at the end. These people are not the ones killing pvp.
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yeah, lately I've been joining the Arena Pugs as well with my fleet. Still training ofcourse. Sometimes we win with 15-0, sometimes barely 15-14 or like the last two pvp's yesterday with 0-15 or 4-15 at most. Awesome Rom de-cloak alpha's :D. Yeah I admit I use my fair share of A2B + Faw, but it's my job to keep the arena clean of pets and giving heals to others, not to spike.

You don't know how fun an Arena is until you're on TS with couple of french people :D.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    PvP does need an overhaul. We don't need to re-invent the wheel here, there are a lot of great pvp formats out there. A ranking system based on win/loss would be good...maybe skill/equipment based, I'm not sure which would work the best. What I do know for sure is that for any kind of system like that to be in place we would need 100x the number of pvp'ers that we have now for it to be viable.

So we all need to be PvP ambassadors, recruit more, retain more "would be" candidates. Take someone under your wing, say "thx for the match" after the game. It's not that hard.
  • Options
    rylanadionysisrylanadionysis Member Posts: 3,359 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Kax stop queue dodging me you Petaq' I wanna shoot you >=/
    Gold.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Rylana - Fed Tac - U.S.S Wild Card - Tactical Miracle Worker Cruiser
    Lifetime Subscriber since 2012 == 17,200 Accolades = RIP PvP and Vice Squad
    Chief of Starfleet Intelligence Service == Praise Cheesus
  • Options
    mattack13mattack13 Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The OP is a fleet-mate of mine and probably my best friend in the game. We've been trying to pull more and more of our fleet members into pvp and have definitely had some good runs.

It is true that a lot of people never get past the initial 1-2 matches and getting their butt kicked. The reality I have learned is that no matter how much I improve my skill and gear, sometimes I am the hammer, and sometimes I am the nail. No ship is effective against all targets, and no ship can have a defensive advantage against all attackers. Many people just don't want to accept that it is possible to have a good build and a good team that fails simply because it runs up against the perfect counter.

About a year ago I participated in the first pvp space bootcamp and that was helpful. Even if new pvpers don't participate in a bootcamp, getting that guide and the Hilbert guide can go a long way in helping with initial builds and basic strategy. Once you know the basics, you can allow your creativity and playstyle come to the forefront.

For my money pvp, warts and all, still gets my blood pumping more than any other aspect of this game.