test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs:Fighters need to keep up with mothership at full impulse!!!

matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
The breach instance is the pain in the butt for carriers: the fighters cant keep up with the mothership at full impulse. Especially inside the voth ship. You cant launch fighters while they stuck somewhere behind when you go forward at full impulse. Carriers depend on the pet to deal the extra damages. No fighters equal no dmg.

I used recall to dock my fighters but for some reason it took a long time for them to dock, Hence, it's either wasting time to w8 for the fighters or no fighters. This is a problem when you need to go fast to the next stage to rescue the ships for the optional.

Fighters should move as fast as carrier or reduce the time for docking to zero.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• earlnyghthawkearlnyghthawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ummm, no. Technically, the fighters should be able to move FASTER than their parent ship, lol
    But with no way to set a nav waypoint, they should at least easily be able to rejoin on you, even if the fighters are 10-15km away. And yeah, I've had this problem on occasion, in CSE, with my slavers, on my MU Vo'Quv.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    butcher suspect, "What'd you hit me with?"
    Temperance Brennan, "A building"
  • orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Don't use fighter ships when in a hurry. Or leave them behind if you're insistent.
  • ianluxorianluxor Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would be happy if they evade exploding ships first....
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    There is no need to use the fighters during Breach. The Hard points are easy enough to hit and they fall apart under moderate fire. At the SIF Gens, you might deploy your fighters for the two minute fight. But otherwise, not worth it on the outside run.

On the inside, just like with the Crystalline Catastrophe, you read the map. When a room is about 30 seconds from being done, you recall your pets. By the time the last ship has fallen, your pets are ready to go and you can move on.

Think smarter, not harder when it comes to pets.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • matrix0matrix0 Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kyeto13 wrote: »
    There is no need to use the fighters during Breach. The Hard points are easy enough to hit and they fall apart under moderate fire. At the SIF Gens, you might deploy your fighters for the two minute fight. But otherwise, not worth it on the outside run.

On the inside, just like with the Crystalline Catastrophe, you read the map. When a room is about 30 seconds from being done, you recall your pets. By the time the last ship has fallen, your pets are ready to go and you can move on.

Think smarter, not harder when it comes to pets.

Hmm read my post. I did say I used recall, and I wasn't talking the outside. I was talking about inside the voth ship. I use my carriers for burst dmg, so I've always used recall and relaunched when the target is weaken.

The point is: the damage is reduced for carriers when the its ability doesn't work properly. I was asking the devs to fix it, not how to play a carrier.
  • majorsmoker420majorsmoker420 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agree with OP
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1. Yes, the pets should be faster than the carrier.
    2. The pets should be able to maintain formation as you move, not wait until you're gone and then chase after you. It looks absolutely ridiculous to have a string of fighters chase after you 10-20 km away like a bunch of lost ducklings.
  • momawmomaw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Pets simply shouldn't be further than 15km away. Their AI shouldn't let them wander that far, and if they somehow get trapped or stuck in some way they should despawn. Pets used to be better at following your ship at full impulse but that seems to have broken at some point.

In the mean time, the workaround is to remove your hangar bay then reinstall it and summon new pets. This can only be done outside of combat.
  • lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Agree. I've actually stopped using my carriers for now due to all the problems with pets. I still use my Vesta, but usually whatever I'm shooting at is dead by the time my Yellowstones catch up to me. Makes having that hangar slot kind of useless.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • aloishammeraloishammer Member Posts: 3,294 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hell to the yes. Fighters not being able to move as fast as their carrier is...ah..."mentally challenged" at best.

And considering that part of the tradeoff on a carrier is that you get fewer weapons since the fighters are part of your weaponry, letting them get lost is beyond poor coding. Imagine a cruiser where two weapon slots vanish when you go to full impulse and move too far. Yeah, see the problem? :D
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would be happy if they would just fix recall so you don't run the risk of them not returning to the hangar.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • nereid63nereid63 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Supported. Fighters behave like, as an earlier poster had it, lost ducklings. This is unfortunate given that Voth Heavy Fighters are, when they're actually caught up with you and fighting alongside you, rather than stuck two rooms behind twiddling their thumbs, frequently a lot more use in supporting your carrier than the Avenger flying spoon that joined the pug group with you and has a revolving door to the afterlife. We need our fighters- that means they need to be capable of flying at the same speed as the carrier- logically- and with greater acceleration so they can catch up, rather than get tired out and left behind.

An AI capable of responding to hazard spots and moving out of them so they don't eternally get squashed by every sub power core closing in breach would be handy too. Mind you, the aforementioned Avenger pug could do with that too...

On the other hand, it is sometimes amusing when you warp out of a system, as the camera lingers on your orphaned fighters flying across the screen where your ship's just vanished. You half expect a speech bubble:

".... HEY! Wait up!"
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I miss the old style fighters for this reason. Before, if you outdistanced them, they de-spawned and you just popped out some new ones.
    Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    and this bug to me is why they gave us dock with the ship
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • iceeaglexiceeaglex Member Posts: 375 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    What about Halting the Gorn?
    Transwarp, and no more fighters.

You either have to have no fighters for the whole first half, or the whole second half.

Old way was better, if left behind, you can get new ones.
    Now, they are left behind, and you can't spawn new ones, you are screwed.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    daan2006 wrote: »
    and this bug to me is why they gave us dock with the ship

Yes but like I said earlier, there is a bug with recall and they don't always dock with the ship unfortunately.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Leaving your pets in attack or intercept after a battle means they will be in a constant state of Red Alert, and just like you they can't go to full impulse when they are like that. Change their commands to defend or recall just before they battle ends, recall means they should be docked before your red alert clears, while defend means they should have stopped spamming their skills and their red alert should clear shortly after yours does.