test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg in Season 9?

Comments

• mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    should cryptic be thinking of a complete borg overhaul.

the hugh like faction or liberated borg can't be a direct threat to the collective itself, just wouldn't make sense as they are a small collection of people, not in the billions or trillions. they need support of others to help them. i can imagine these disconnected borg having pyramids, spheres, assimilators and such protecting their new homeworld but considering the borg renegeration for their ships which is not seen in sto, i would say that being disconnected that it is not possible to regenerate a ship like that.

the collective itself should be a challenge, and when i mean challenge i mean that it makes sense.

one cube should be far more then a match for 4 players or 8 or 12 players. it should require 16 player raids. along the idea that it should replace that silly v'ger assimilated probe red alert idea and make it a direct 16 vs. cube shootout, like the CE but lasting a little longer and regularly adapting to certain powers and ignore others for a short time before it adapts to these powers leaving the last stand at the end of the fight a straight out attack power fest where raiders and torpedo boats become the greater threats over tacs vs engs and scis.. players should also contend with borg regeneration as well.

even attacking a sphere should be a challenge that only a t5 ship should be able to match. even the t4 intrepid couldnt match it. so those below this players should team up.

players should be forced to respect borg collective power and that solo running them isnt an option. if players see a sphere for eg below t5, they must immediately team up and destroy it on sight because working alone will get that player no where. these are borg and should be treated as such.

ground combat, borg beamins should be placed where it makes sense and in great numbers as it should be, almost zombie shoot out style. no silly borg weapons though. borg never had weapons but had the ability to adapt say after 3-5 drones were taken down. again players should be forced to realize a hopeless situation and pull back to a more secure location. borg being borg attempt to adapt and bypass security protocols or something to bypass the player team.

players should be once again forced to realize the strength of the borg collective as a whole. since pvp has gone the way of the dinosaur on the game i can not see any reason to keep ker'rat around. the expansion on the borg doesnt mean the queen has to be seen however. besides drones can be quickly replaced, so can a queen if voyager was an indication.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,281 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    Krenim are cool ... But not nearly as cool as the Borg.
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    It's the third time (In Best of Both Worlds, she supposedly died, also in First Contact and of course in Into the Hive).
    Maybe losing a Queen isn't that of a big deal to the borg. She just seems to be a special processing unit. It seems there are many clones/copies whatever of her just waiting to integrate her mind after one body was destroyed.

True bur it takes a few years for them to recover after losing the queen
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Borg have been done to death. Please no more Borg.....

Say No To Borg!
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    True bur it takes a few years for them to recover after losing the queen

Actually, it was never stated how long it takes for the Borg to compensate for the loss of a Queen. Not in the STO timeline, and certainly not in the shows.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • avantgarde01avantgarde01 Member Posts: 273 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm tired of the Borg as well. There are already STFs and an entire Reputation system focused on them. I'd hate to see the Borg become the creative crutch for STO which they became for the Voyager writers.

I'd challenge Cryptic to get really creative and break new ground when it comes to enemy threats. Breaking the mold is how we got The Dominion and the Xindi which were two very interesting foes. The storyline in the prime universe is wide open. Revisiting old enemies on occasion is fine but it's far from their only option.
  • sle1989sle1989 Member Posts: 552 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would not be surprising to find that in the canon of this game the Borg are creations of the Iconians. They would be the ultimate servitor race. (Though an Iconian ship destroying a Borg cube in a late mission would be the biggest contradiction to this theory)

As for a possible Hugh Borg faction I just have one question, what would the Vet reward be instead of the Liberated Borg race?
    y1arXbh.png

• senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    They need to completely remove Borg cubes from single player episodes and encounters.
    No single ship should EVER be able to take down a cube on its own.
    edited December 2013
    They need to completely remove Borg cubes from single player episodes and encounters.

I second this.
    Make Tactical Spheres to replace the Cubes, and let the Cubes replace the Unimatrix ships, and the Unimatrix ships... do some big TRIBBLE raid to fight those.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would VOMIT with RAGE if they make the Borg an iconian creation.

Borg just need an overhaul.

Increase their pressure damage. One hit wonders are unnecessary.

Increase the effect of their shield neutraliser.

Increase their hull regeneration.

Weapon adaptation requiring us to remodulate would be nice.

Ship assimilation similar to ground assimilation would be awesome.

Overall the borg should require focus to defeat not just casual tanking and DPS. Being put under pressure and not one hitting everything would create more challenge and greater satisfaction.
  • sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited December 2013

xiaoping88 wrote: »
    I second this.
    Make Tactical Spheres to replace the Cubes, and let the Cubes replace the Unimatrix ships, and the Unimatrix ships... do some big TRIBBLE raid to fight those.

I would go with this as well, but I understand why they did it for game purposes.
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

edited December 2013
    I would VOMIT with RAGE if they make the Borg an iconian creation.

Fear not. Nothing hints at that.

On the other side, there are plenty of hints that the Borg know of the Iconians at least indirectly and are preparing to take them on when they return.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ruminate00 wrote: »
    I don't think the borg will ever become scary and interesting again. (for me anyways) They stopped becoming scary as soon as they added a queen and turned borg behavior into a typical (incorrect)laymans view on how bees and ants behave. I preferred their original incarnation as a cybernetic force of nature.

More then the classic Fantasie undead lead by a powerfull Necromancer,
    neither Ants nor Bees work like the Borg collective, not even close.

And thats why they are so boring and, in the end, harmless.

in the end it will allways boil down to "Kill the queen" yeah even if she can come back again and again, who gives a damn anymore? Oh look! The borg again! *poof* there goes the queen, good ridance! See ya later!

To be more Dangerous Borg would need to go more into the direction of, for example, Necrons from 40K, which for example, simply can repair themself when "killed"
    the whole collective is missing the touch of real danger, but then, the Borg where never intended to be used as Enemys in an MMO ;)

Or, to stay a bit more in line with the "Borg idea" of adapting/assimilating, get them more into the direction of Tyranids from 40K, meaning, Borg would need to be able to adjust on the fly, for example, each "kill" the Borg score in an ESTF could allow them to "adapt"
    more to the players, like if they would assimilate the technology, giving them more resist against the weapons used by the destroyed ship, and maybe changing the damage type to the least resist on the destroyed ship.

But that would lead to... akward situations, as ONE baddy could simply mess up a whole ESTF for 4 others by constantly getting killed and boosting the borg stats trought the roof.

But, in the actual STO timeline, i think the best bet is, to simply burry the Borg, and forget about them, they lost their steam a LONG time ago, and Story wise, it simply makes sense, as stated: Borg CAN NOT develope new technology or evolve in any shape or Form,
    thats why they NEED to assimilate other cultures.

Everybody else in the known universe CAN develope new technologie, that simply puts the borg so far behind if they fail to assimilate new cultures, that they are ultimately doomed to fail in the long run, im mean Yes, they CAN adapt to known weapons given enough time (took them a LOT of time to adapt to transphasic) but everybody else can simply develope a new way of beating them, time and time again, and rather sooner than later, someone will find the proper weapon to blow them out of the water once and for all.

best way for the Borg Story to continue, would either be:

The Borg collective gets COMPLETLY destroyed, nothing left except for a few ruins on some backwater planet, because they pissed us of one time to many.

OR

The Borg finnaly understanding, that it will be impossible to assimilate the species of the universe (lets be realistic, they allready did a ****ing BAD job with assimilating ANYTHING in their home turf the Delta quadrant, its ridicoulus how many species have thriving cultures and societies given that the Borg are living NEXT to them, its nearly hillarious that the caretaker and his incredible advanced technologie went unnotived by the collective for example) so the collective changes its ways and joins the other Factions.
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm tired of the Borg as well. There are already STFs and an entire Reputation system focused on them. I'd hate to see the Borg become the creative crutch for STO which they became for the Voyager writers.

I'd challenge Cryptic to get really creative and break new ground when it comes to enemy threats. Breaking the mold is how we got The Dominion and the Xindi which were two very interesting foes. The storyline in the prime universe is wide open. Revisiting old enemies on occasion is fine but it's far from their only option.

i like your thinking here. the dominion in ds9 is a great example tbh. there must have been a moment when they sat down and thought we need something new and major they will forever make a mark on star trek universe..... the dominion.

so yeah that would be pretty cool. star trek renegades is able to be creative with this kinda thing of introducing a new bad guy so you'd think the dev team could be creative as well.

I'd also like to see them develop the story of species in alpha and beta quadrants more.

yeah that might help some what in making a borg cube seem tougher. in stfs it also seems far too easy to destroy a cube. a team of 5 rip a cube down in no time. altho this is a kinda cosmetic thing it dose effect how we perceive and 'fear' the borg.
    edited December 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    The Borg finnaly understanding, that it will be impossible to assimilate the species of the universe (lets be realistic, they allready did a ****ing BAD job with assimilating ANYTHING in their home turf the Delta quadrant, its ridicoulus how many species have thriving cultures and societies given that the Borg are living NEXT to them, its nearly hillarious that the caretaker and his incredible advanced technologie went unnotived by the collective for example) so the collective changes its ways and joins the other Factions.

The Borg may not have noticed the Nacene lifeform near the Ocampa world. Besides that area is surrounded by Kazon factions and the Borg are not interested in this race because they are unworthy of it. i get the idea that there is no Borg presence in this area of space at all considering, so the this lifeform is left unchecked until Voyager.
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    I would like to point out that in the Sphere Of Influence mission, some Iconian gatewas were shown as active, but beyond the control of the servitor races, in the Andromeda galaxy.

doubtful. the iconians put these gateways in the andormeda galaxy for a reason, i find it hard to believe they wouldnt have a slave race keeping an eye on this area considering what is coming, the suspected war.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    oschw wrote: »
    Or, to stay a bit more in line with the "Borg idea" of adapting/assimilating, get them more into the direction of Tyranids from 40K, meaning, Borg would need to be able to adjust on the fly, for example, each "kill" the Borg score in an ESTF could allow them to "adapt"
    more to the players, like if they would assimilate the technology, giving them more resist against the weapons used by the destroyed ship, and maybe changing the damage type to the least resist on the destroyed ship.

But that would lead to... akward situations, as ONE baddy could simply mess up a whole ESTF for 4 others by constantly getting killed and boosting the borg stats trought the roof.

Could lead to an interesting STF. Two ways to complete an STF, brute force or stealthing. Brute force would end up with an extremely tough end boss while stealthing would leave the end boss really weak. Could have two accolades with titles associated for them for defeating the end boss in its strongest form and weakest form. Strongest form would require destroying every Borg before it while weakest form would require not killing a single Borg before it or even being detected by the Borg.
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,724 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sorry, I think the Borg are just dead, storywise, for the game right now.

The two major players I see popping up after the Voth are the Dominion and Iconians. Granted, We'll probably be running through a number of the Delta Quadrant races before we get back to finding out what the Dominion has been up to. Of course, the Dominion is no stranger to the Iconian Gateways either and may even show up in the Delta Quadrant now that the floodgates are open. The Iconians did appear to be a bit intimidated by them if Sphere of Influence was any indication.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Borg may not have noticed the Nacene lifeform near the Ocampa world. Besides that area is surrounded by Kazon factions and the Borg are not interested in this race because they are unworthy of it. i get the idea that there is no Borg presence in this area of space at all considering, so the this lifeform is left unchecked until Voyager.

So the way to protect the entire galaxy is to overpopulate it with Kazon? Sorry, but that cure is worse than the disease. The Kazon are not stopping the Borg with their inferiority. There is some other reason why the Ocampa and other races are not assimilated by the Borg and Earth was only attacked by small groups of Borg. If the Borg wanted to, then they could send thousands of Borg Cubes instead of one in Wolf 359 and one in First Contact. Therefore, the only conclusion is that most of the Borg ships are protecting their space and fighting against powerful enemies with only a few ships relegated to assimilation purposes.
    edited December 2013
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    The Borg don't avoid those that are unworthy of assimilation. They delete them. The real reason the Borg avoid the Ocampa, is because they are stinky.

No, the Borg ignore those who are offering nothing for them to assimilate and pose no threat.
    It's clearly stated in Voyager regarding the Kazon. Using ressources to deal with something that isn't worth the hassle is not efficient.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I know some of you guys are bored of the Borg, but I loved the romulan story mission in the disabled Cube. It had great atmosphere and a few "wow' moments. If Cryptic can make more missions like that and I'll be happy :).
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
    edited December 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    I know some of you guys are bored of the Borg, but I loved the romulan story mission in the disabled Cube. It had great atmosphere and a few "wow' moments. If Cryptic can make more missions like that and I'll be happy :).

Totally with you here.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'd rather get the Undine back in the spotlight for a season.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Borg are need of being harder; at the moment they are far, far, far too easy.

I personally have no view, whether positive nor negative, if they are to be included in season 9, but if they are, I would really like some TNG scary ones, like the ones in decent*.

*I know they were "free" , but they appeared to be tactically superior, something I think even the "non-free" drones ought to learn a thing or two from.
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • foundrelicfoundrelic Member Posts: 1,380 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    In Space battles the Borg DO adapt. BUt according to Game Lore our ships have automated refrequencer systems keeping our weapons constantly remodulating.
  • jumpingjsjumpingjs Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I would just like to reiterate my point that ALL borg should be a more difficult enemy in STO.
    But then the damn criers will send their whimsical messages of horror to the Devs, who will as a result, nerf them again
    :mad:
    Hopefully I'll come back from my break; this break is fun; I play intellectual games.

I hope STO get's better ...
  • adabisiadabisi Member Posts: 260 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Did not Guinan say something in TNG......something about the Borg wearing your defenses down and then coming at you, as the Enterprise tried to flee......that episode where Q wisks them away to their first encounter..

The Borg are powerful, but in this game they are a mockery of their tv counterparts.

A Tac Cube should be the pinnacle of Borg power and I can solo them on elite stf's.../shrug

And not just solo them but kill them rather easily......

While I do support SF adapting to the borg in the years since their first encounter it seems the Borg have not adapted.

MY IDEA about the Borg TAC cube is as follows:

No restrictions on firing arcs.....they can fire on all ships as needed only limited by the amount of weapons they can bring to bear on any one enemy. There is plenty of space to house technology to allow their ships to fire on multiple arcs at the same time.

A Borg Cube that could fire all weapons on all arcs would be a more imposing ships. Not the current tac cubes that get drawn to a strong agro magnet that sit at 20 km away out of range and the rest kite the cube...BORING!!!!

Instead allow the cube to fire multiple arcs and force the team to work as one to defeat the Borg.

Couple with stronger shields and a regenerative hull..a tac Cube could be a battle of epic proportions.

just imagine a tac cube against 5 Fed/KDF/Rom ships.....firing on multiple arcs and various tractor beams engaged......all kinds of mayhem and fun.
    Today we fight the GAULS......monstrous and HAIRY beyond reason.
    edited December 2013
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    Given the situation in the Andromeda galaxy, it might be that the Kelvans have overthrown those servants, in order to use the gateway for a full-civlization escape.

it's very possible. +1.
    starkaos wrote: »
    So the way to protect the entire galaxy is to overpopulate it with Kazon? Sorry, but that cure is worse than the disease. The Kazon are not stopping the Borg with their inferiority. There is some other reason why the Ocampa and other races are not assimilated by the Borg and Earth was only attacked by small groups of Borg. If the Borg wanted to, then they could send thousands of Borg Cubes instead of one in Wolf 359 and one in First Contact. Therefore, the only conclusion is that most of the Borg ships are protecting their space and fighting against powerful enemies with only a few ships relegated to assimilation purposes.

your overplaying the point. my point is that the kazon don't get assimilated so they go unnoticed by the borg in general. besides between voyager leaving kazon space to the time they arrived at borg space it was 2 years roughly. since the ever reckless janeway destroyed the borg super structure in the delta quadrant on her way out, it may have set the borg back in terms of territory, although the borg can adapt, they lost a lot of drones, ships and probably order to chaos.

while the borg could of sent thousands of cubes to earth, they did not and your missing the amount of time that borg signal took to reach the delta quadrant and the time it took that cube to get from the delta quadrant to earth. the borg did not have much information on the humans in general. why send a fleet when one cube would be enough considering how limited their tech was by the time the info got to the collective. although accidental, the q forced contact with the ent-d also gave the borg a lot more current information on the humans and their defenses and probably adapted accordingly considering how disasterous that first contact went.
    capnkirk4 wrote: »
    The Borg don't avoid those that are unworthy of assimilation. They delete them. The real reason the Borg avoid the Ocampa, is because they are stinky.

want a cookie?
    edited December 2013
    adabisi wrote: »
    Couple with stronger shields and a regenerative hull..a tac Cube could be a battle of epic proportions.

Borg do not use shields, they have a very resilient hull and because of their regenerative capability, they are able to withstand around 3/4 of total cube destruction and still able to regenerate the damage. with a tac cube though, the armor plating attachments on the sides would provide even more protection. although 8472 can pretty much destroy a cube in 1 or 2 blasts, federation ships will likely take a whole fleet just to make it through the hull. why the borg have shields on sto i have no idea.
    edited December 2013
    why the borg have shields on sto i have no idea.

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Borg_cube
    Defenses: Deflector shields, subspace field, electromagnetic field, regeneration, force field
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    Borg were so OP in TNG that it made them cool. They were an obvious take on zombies in scifi but also a metaphor for the encroaching of tech on our freedom and lives. But then there was nowhere else to go. You can't be nearly invincible and be foiled in every other episode.

Except that is what happened. They end up becoming the punching bag for Voyager and a crutch for failed writing on that pitiful series. There is no reason why STO can't rewrite the book as it where. With the new Season we could introduce a new wave of incredibly tough Borg ... Strong on science and damage with improved AI.

I am sure there is a way for Cryptic to do a lock box special and rake in major dough too. See everyone wins.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie