test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Borg in Season 9?

macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
I want to make this a separate thread from the Voth story progression. I am curious to see what the players think about bringing the Borg back as a real power ... you know the "wet the bed" scary ... TNG Season 3 - Best of Both Worlds. Here is a few questions:

1. Do you want to see them again?
2. If so what should the content be? STF like missions or Adventure Zone?
3. What about a Ker'rat revamp?
4. What kind of mechanics do you want the Borg to have? Adaptive weapons (more penetration) and adaptive shields?
5. What about Borg ground missions?

Anyways feel free to respond ... or shoot this down. But please don't troll. Thanks.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
Post edited by macronius on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Give the Borg the ability to run.

Seriously, that would scare the living TRIBBLE outta me.
  • macroniusmacronius Member Posts: 2,526
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »

LOL. They actually tried the EptE thing ... it didn't work out too well.
    "With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,456 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    hypl wrote: »

Just play Kitomer Ground. There's at least one group that runs. :D
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • z3ndor99z3ndor99 Member Posts: 1,391 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I for one would love to fight a "best of both worlds" collective, these "voyager" borg are not scary or threatening, give them adaptive shielding in space and ground.
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Yes, I would definitely like to see the Borg make a return, in any form. It kind of bugs me that we have stuff about the Omega Particle going on, and the Borg are nowhere to be seen.

It's also been bugging me for awhile that they are basically replacing the Borg with the Iconians as STO's "ultimate villain". Call me old-fashioned, but as interested as I am in seeing what the Iconians are up to, the Borg will always be the ultimate Star Trek bad guys for me.

It would be cool if the Borg popped up, even if only briefly, to show off that, just as they adapted to the Undine, they've adapted to Iconian tech, too.

Have an Iconian ship try to pull another "Look upon us and despair." one-shot moment on another Cube...only for the Borg to just shrug it off this time. Now, cue an "Oh TRIBBLE" moment from the Iconians....
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,456 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    Hate to say it... but the Borg are a bit of an overused bad guy in TNG games.
    Armada
    Armada 2
    Starfleet Command 3
    Elite Force
    Elite Force 2
    Away Team
    Legacy

I kinda like having various enemies to fight.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    macronius wrote: »
    I want to make this a separate thread from the Voth story progression. I am curious to see what the players think about bringing the Borg back as a real power ... you know the "wet the bed" scary ... TNG Season 3 - Best of Both Worlds. Here is a few questions:

4. What kind of mechanics do you want the Borg to have? Adaptive weapons (more penetration) and adaptive shields?

Anyways feel free to respond ... or shoot this down. But please don't troll. Thanks.

April 2013: Ask Cryptic.
    Q: (rezking) Will the Borg ever be a playable Faction in STO?

STO Team: We aren't eliminating the possibility of any faction being created for STO. If we were to implement them, they would most likely be liberated or "Hugh-like" Borg.

i don't know how any of the listed questions effect the borg collective missions.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • ufpterrellufpterrell Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To be honest, one of the few things in STO which really annoys me are how easy it is to waltz through a small armada of Borg Cubes without so much as a scratch. It's destroyed them as an enemy, "We are the Borg, resistance is futi..." *boom*. It's just not "realistic" if there is such a thing in this game.

I want the Borg to be scary, I want the sight of just a couple Borg cubes or a Tactical cube to make a player think "RED ALERT, CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS!". Let's give them adaptive shields in space and make US adapt by changing shield frequencies. If a target is harder to kill it makes it more worth while having Sci involved to debuff and disable them while the other players recover with the help of engineers in tank cruisers throwing out heals etc.

As it stands, they're just a joke. They're much more like true Borg on ground with the adaptation etc as it should be.
    Terrell.png

Looking for a dedicated Star Trek community? Visit www.ufplanets.com for details.
  • zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Seriously this thread is overdue. the one thing the Borg do is adapt. And adapt fast.

They have not really done that since the beginning of STO. That being said it would be very difficult to actually program NPCs to actually adapt. But there should be a way to make it so you have to use strategy to kill them. The complete randomness of attacks is the only thing that should could and would be able to overcome Borg attacks.

Maybe some kind of adaptive AI. You don't actually make the Borg stronger. You make them smarter. Have a random generative mission that actually responds to the player strategies. In infected instead of one tactical cube make it so it can generate two or even three in certain circumstances. Or ad some extra spheres coming from the gates while the Tac cube is taken down. Each mission should and would be random. Same objectives different Borg players. Have a random set of enemies in process. Create some new Borg vessels as well.

And to make it really interesting have a tier 5 elite STF Borg mission. Where you actually have to be tier 5 to plaqy it. And make the NPCs just like the old Street fighter 2 games. They adapt to your play. Make them fight back more like a pvp match. More randomness is the key!!!
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I all honesty, I am a bit tired of the Borg. Even the Dominion had better success against the Federation than the Borg have.
  • stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Considering cryptic have gone into the delta quadrant now(dyson) i have a feeling we might see more of the borg as they are from there.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I could live without seeing more of the Borg for a while, besides they need to get a new Queen.

Besides we have the Voth and then there is everything with the Iconians and various races involved with them.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Hate to say it... but the Borg are a bit of an overused bad guy in TNG games.

Elite Force 2

As I remember, The Borg are only in the prologue/tutorial for Elite Force 2. After that they don't make another appearance.
  • quadraxis666quadraxis666 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Given the nature of the sphere, the Borg should absolutely be there.

Voyager episode "The Omega Directive" - omega particles are perfection, the Borg holy grail. Borg are constantly crawling around sector space, they know that gateway is there and they will have detected the omega particles just like every other faction did at the end of sphere of influence.

Are we honestly to believe the Borg aren't there because because every Borg fleet that enters Tau Dewa gets its TRIBBLE kicked by the Tholians before they can get anywhere near the gateway lol. Does that mean the Tholians are on our side now? More to the point that sphere is IN the Delta Quadrant, Borg home turf, they should have known of its existence long before us, before even the Voth.

It is actually mental that we have a sphere full of omega particles - in the delta quadrant - and the Borg are nowhere to be seen.

The T5 Dyson cut scene gave me a glimmer of hope, the Voth are being attacked in their own space by an unnamed enemy, and they want to weaponize omega molecules to trap this enemy it it's own space. I hope that enemy is revealed to be the Borg. It NEEDS to be the Borg.

If Season 9 is really going to let us leave the sphere and travel into the wider Delta Quadrant, I hope to see us finding ourselves in the middle of a Borg vs Voth war. I hope to see Borg everywhere, it just wouldn't be right otherwise.
  • oschwoschw Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    ufpterrell wrote: »
    To be honest, one of the few things in STO which really annoys me are how easy it is to waltz through a small armada of Borg Cubes without so much as a scratch. It's destroyed them as an enemy, "We are the Borg, resistance is futi..." *boom*. It's just not "realistic" if there is such a thing in this game.

I want the Borg to be scary, I want the sight of just a couple Borg cubes or a Tactical cube to make a player think "RED ALERT, CALL FOR REINFORCEMENTS!". Let's give them adaptive shields in space and make US adapt by changing shield frequencies. If a target is harder to kill it makes it more worth while having Sci involved to debuff and disable them while the other players recover with the help of engineers in tank cruisers throwing out heals etc.

As it stands, they're just a joke. They're much more like true Borg on ground with the adaptation etc as it should be.

But they stopped beeing scarry in DS9 allready, the Borg invasion that happened during DS9 was mentioned once or twice and sounded more like "Oh, those guys again..."

You really should not forget that a LOT of time has passed since the first contact with the Borg, and, unlike the Borg, every others species is able to advance their technologie on their own, the borg are simply falling behind, completly outdated weapons and tech, whats scarry about that?
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Borg is short for Boooooorrrrrriiiingggg.... I'm pretty sick of the Borg, and they have been overused in Trek for a very long time to the point that the books killed them off(in a dumb way) but at least they were smart enough not to use them anymore.

Every game almost had them, they are a joke now.

Voyager ruined the Borg, because they just used them so much, you're like why were we scared of these guys.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Create STFs that are even harder than the old versions.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The Borg need effort to make them scary and interesting again.
    I can only hope Cryptic is up to it. Just throwing in more of the Borg we already have does not work. You need to do story driven missions with the right atmosphere.

The LoR mission on that damaged cube was a rather good start. More of that.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • ruminate00ruminate00 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    The Borg need effort to make them scary and interesting again.
    I can only hipe Cryptic is up to it. Just throwing in more of the Borg we already have does not work. You need to do story driven missions with the right atmosphere.

The LoR mission on that damaged cube was a rather good start. More of that.

I don't think the borg will ever become scary and interesting again. (for me anyways) They stopped becoming scary as soon as they added a queen and turned borg behavior into a typical (incorrect)laymans view on how bees and ants behave. I preferred their original incarnation as a cybernetic force of nature.
  • vampirialvampirial Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Season 9 is a chance to make the Borg scary again, show these borg that have advanced while in the delta quadrant, make them difficult if they don't they will remain a joke. However the thing I want from s9 but will never happen and that is to change liberated borg human/Klingon and romulan into simply liberated Borg and give them access to all the alien customisation as well as adding in more borg pieces to use, such as new augments and the borg bodysuit texture.
    edited December 2013
    ruminate00 wrote: »
    I don't think the borg will ever become scary and interesting again. (for me anyways) They stopped becoming scary as soon as they added a queen and turned borg behavior into a typical (incorrect)laymans view on how bees and ants behave. I preferred their original incarnation as a cybernetic force of nature.

The potential is still there.
    But to be honest, I doubt Cryptic will use it and change the Borg back into their early TNG-incarnation.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • wazzagiowwazzagiow Member Posts: 769 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i hope not! i would hate for star treks greatest to be further watered down.

personally i would like to see the borg rested and left alone for a fair while. there is so many other areas for the game to go with enemies without turning constantly to borg.

i have a feeling the krenim will some how feature in season 9. that's purely based on the official poll they had before season 8.
    edited December 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    i hope not! i would hate for star treks greatest to be further watered down.

personally i would like to see the borg rested and left alone for a fair while. there is so many other areas for the game to go with enemies without turning constantly to borg.

i have a feeling the krenim will some how feature in season 9. that's purely based on the official poll they had before season 8.

Krenim are cool ... But not nearly as cool as the Borg.

- Judge Aaron Satie
  • westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,281 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't want the Borg. We just killed their queen like twice and heavily crippled the collective in such a way that it will take them a LONG time to recover. It wouldn't really make sense to bring them back. And if they did become more difficult would you like to play that content? Do you want to play missions where the entire enemy force is capable of almost 1 shotting you one on one and there's MORE than one of them shooting? That's not my definition of enjoyment. Some people want cryptic to make enmies have different mechanics to make them more difficult but the Borg would simply one shot you constantly like this. Honestly you people astound me.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
    edited December 2013
    westx211 wrote: »
    I don't want the Borg. We just killed their queen like twice and heavily crippled the collective in such a way that it will take them a LONG time to recover. It wouldn't really make sense to bring them back. And if they did become more difficult would you like to play that content? Do you want to play missions where the entire enemy force is capable of almost 1 shotting you one on one and there's MORE than one of them shooting? That's not my definition of enjoyment. Some people want cryptic to make enmies have different mechanics to make them more difficult but the Borg would simply one shot you constantly like this. Honestly you people astound me.

That's the thing. The Borg are perfect for pressure damage, debuffs and wearing you down. Imagine a borg ship that slowly builds resistance to your weapon. Or what if the Borg hit you with a GW, graviton pulse and then torpedoed you.

I am talking about mixing it up and an improved wi.

- Judge Aaron Satie
    edited December 2013
    Krenim are cool ... But not nearly as cool as the Borg.

i agree but surely we can't turn to the borg to 'save the day' and use them for season 9 content and story because season 8 has been extremely disappointing from a story perspective.

and as another poster said we have killed the queen.... again! so they really need to be left alone for some time.
    edited December 2013
    wazzagiow wrote: »
    i agree but surely we can't turn to the borg to 'save the day' and use them for season 9 content and story because season 8 has been extremely disappointing from a story perspective.

and as another poster said we have killed the queen.... again! so they really need to be left alone for some time.

It's the third time (In Best of Both Worlds, she supposedly died, also in First Contact and of course in Into the Hive).
    Maybe losing a Queen isn't that of a big deal to the borg. She just seems to be a special processing unit. It seems there are many clones/copies whatever of her just waiting to integrate her mind after one body was destroyed.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    what happened to the UNDINE storyline and the possible infiltration of the federation council?

WHY isn't there ANY continuation of the MAIN story arc?

this has sooo much potential! fight at Starfleet academy, battle in earth orbit, fluidic space, organic weapons and ships, psionic shields and weapons!
    Go pro or go home
    edited December 2013
    baudl wrote: »
    what happened to the UNDINE storyline and the possible infiltration of the federation council?

this has sooo much potential! fight at Starfleet academy, battle in earth orbit, fluidic space, organic weapons and ships, psionic shields and weapons!

As the Borg seem very possible by now to be the enemy that drove the Voth to their desperate moves in the Dyson Sphere, we can only hope that the return of the Borg as a major threat means also the return of the Undine - because the two mostly come in a double pack.

A big TRIBBLE Undine-Borg war and the continuation of the entire infiltration arc would be great.
    What gives me hope is the Devs saying that there will be peace between the Feds and the Klinks in 2014.

The Klinks would never make peace if the Undine infiltration of the Federation is allowed to continue.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited December 2013
    baudl wrote: »

couldn't agree more. also they may or may not be the cause of the war and more in the game. i think more undine story could be great for the game. it could even lead to the end of the war or could add some much needed fuel to it. :eek: