test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

MixedCaseCommands? Throttle

coytcoyt Member Posts: 20 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Controls and User Interface
Not where I can log in right now and test. Are the console commands case sensitive? :confused:

I'm working on a configuration for flightstick + throttle, and it looks like the simplest way to make the throttle work the way I want is to have it send ThrottleSet commands based on the throttle configuration software permitting bands. So I can define 11 bands for 0-100% and use a button for reverse, full impulse, etc.

It just makes a difference when programming the throttle software. It defaults to using standard USB scan codes, so by default lower case for simple keyboard mapping. If I need mixed case, then I have to program shift down, keypress, shift up.
Post edited by coyt on

Comments

• dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    As far as I can tell, they are not case sensitive.

As for your specific binds, why not just use 1 button to increase speed, and 1 button to decrease speed? I like my mousewheel for this since it gives me very good throttle control.
    Throttle
    Wheelplus "throttleadjust .1"
    Wheelminus "throttleadjust -.1"
  • voyagersevenvoyagerseven Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I play without the HUD...

I had my key binds set for mouse wheel.. forward /reverse/ FULL... As of lately the full impulse want work with the HUD disabled... all other throttle controls worked and had worked in the past without the HUD being enabled. but now FUL will not... set with any key or mouse wheel, button or click..

I've bugged reported this in game.. But it has yet to be fixed...
  • coytcoyt Member Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    To answer my basic question, I've not found that case was important YET in the typed controls.

I didn't want a single button (or scroll wheel) for throttle + and another for throttle -. I have a HOTAS controller I use for other games. 7 analog axes, 3 8-way hats, like 20 buttons, mouse , scroll, right & Left click, 6 standard shift modes) :D

I have had some success. :o

The controller software allows me to split analog axes into bands, and as the controller moves through the bands, sends separate keystroke events to the game. So last night I tried setting up 5 bands (corresponding to 0, .25, .5, .75 and 1) and defined the keystrokes "/throttleset .25" (for example) from the controller.

Testing on TRIBBLE, it worked, somewhat. If the stick moved through the bands slowly enough, the control software had time to type the command. I was cranking down the stroke delay in the software, and if I push it below .02 seconds per stroke the game client can't process fast enough. That isn't fast enough to allow the software on the controller to push through all 5 bands if you move the stick quickly since it has to type 18 characters, the commands blend. The thing will type into notepad with the same profile without conflicting, so I suspect the client. :eek:

I think I'm going to have to keybind the throttle commands to something like SHIFT+CTRL+ALT+1 for "throttleset 0", etc. Then define the stick's controls to send the related keypress, which should be short enough that I can rush the throttle from stop to full and back without the commands trashing each other. Once I can get the basic 5 settings, I'll see how fine I can hone it down. From reading everything I can on the subject on the forums, throttle control has always been an issue.

Then I can do the same for the other controls. I have some plans for the 8-ways for sending tray commands. :)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Have you considered setting a bind for throttletoggle? I find that to be quite useful.

My (Logitech Attack 3) joystick setup is:
    standard stick for direction
    trigger for "firephasers"
    button 3 is "throttletoggle"
    button 4 is "Throttleadjust -.25"
    button 5 is "throttleadjust +.25"
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg